• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Business Insider] Sony is building an ad program that will let brands advertise in PlayStation games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Topher

Gold Member
Yep, these fanboys are as transparent as glass. I made a partial wall of shame here but there were so many of these bootlickers that I couldn't fit all the quotes in.

tenor.gif

Speaking of "wall of shame"....

SA6R0Cc.png

Same thing I said in the MS version of this thread stands.

Makes perfect sense in some situations.

Just hope it doesn't start actually influencing game design.

If they limit it to F2P and maybe games being played/accessed through services like GamePass, and do it Burnout Paradise style (which is at least referenced in both articles), then...fine. Not that I'd be giddy with it, but at least it would make some sense, as you said. Also, it would not necessarily be immersion-breaking, overly intrusive, etc.

But I'm somewhat doubtful that's how it's going to be done, because having modifiable in-game assets that can be updated for ad space would require a lot of extra work between platform holders, publishers, developers, the ad agencies AND the companies wanting to effectively "rent" out ad space in those games with those modifiable assets...if that form of it goes through then we'll know all the big players in the industry have agreed to it and it's been in the works for a few years by now. It would be the "best" outcome for end users (us), but I doubt that's how this is actually going to be implemented.

That's why I think it's going to be more like in-game ads, or the ads MS has for a few of their own games on Xbox (IIRC Gears 5 has an in-game ad for another Gears game). YT-style adverts; maybe you can skip them after a few seconds, maybe not. Maybe you get MS Reward Points or PS+ credit for watching them, maybe not. Who knows.

At that point, I say just mitigate the damage and limit that to F2P and the games accessed through something like GamePass. Don't even think about doing those type of ads in full-priced games we have to buy anyway unless you do them Burnout Paradise or Fortnite style. Even then, we should have the option to opt out of that with a small fee (I would say for free but of course MS, Sony etc. wouldn't allow that).

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If they limit it to F2P and maybe games being played/accessed through services like GamePass, and do it Burnout Paradise style (which is at least referenced in both articles), then...fine. Not that I'd be giddy with it, but at least it would make some sense, as you said. Also, it would not necessarily be immersion-breaking, overly intrusive, etc.

But I'm somewhat doubtful that's how it's going to be done, because having modifiable in-game assets that can be updated for ad space would require a lot of extra work between platform holders, publishers, developers, the ad agencies AND the companies wanting to effectively "rent" out ad space in those games with those modifiable assets...if that form of it goes through then we'll know all the big players in the industry have agreed to it and it's been in the works for a few years by now. It would be the "best" outcome for end users (us), but I doubt that's how this is actually going to be implemented.

That's why I think it's going to be more like in-game ads, or the ads MS has for a few of their own games on Xbox (IIRC Gears 5 has an in-game ad for another Gears game). YT-style adverts; maybe you can skip them after a few seconds, maybe not. Maybe you get MS Reward Points or PS+ credit for watching them, maybe not. Who knows.

At that point, I say just mitigate the damage and limit that to F2P and the games accessed through something like GamePass. Don't even think about doing those type of ads in full-priced games we have to buy anyway unless you do them Burnout Paradise or Fortnite style. Even then, we should have the option to opt out of that with a small fee (I would say for free but of course MS, Sony etc. wouldn't allow that).
For a thread about possible Sony ads, you sure bring up up Xbox and Game Pass a lot in this thread.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Pot kettle black
I think it works where you have to quote the people defending one and bashing another or bashing another and defending one. I am seeing the same people bashing this that bashed the other.

This post sums it up well,
So you're defending more ads? You've previously defended Xbox Live Gold price hikes so it's hardly surprising.

Looking at the contents of this thread a lot of Xbox owners don't like the idea of it.

And looking at the Sony thread a lot of PlayStation owners don't like it either.

You should stop seeing everything as a console war battleground and look at the bigger picture here.
Especially the bolded.
For a thread about possible Sony ads, you sure bring up up Xbox and Game Pass a lot in this thread.
I remember he was once loved by the Xbox fancamp a year ago. Shame.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
It's the least offensive product placement I've seen yet, and I still feel dirty afterwards. :pie_beaming_smiling:
this is not even in the game anymore, and when they remove people were complaining.
anyway, i guess people are missing the point, product placement makes things look familiar it isnt bad, like i said on microsoft thread,the most popular mods in gta are product placement.
the problem with ads are intrusive ads, no product placement, remember nba

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
this is not even in the game anymore, and when they remove people were complaining.
anyway, i guess people are missing the point, product placement makes things look familiar it isnt bad, like i said on microsoft thread,the most popular mods in gta are product placement.
the problem with ads are intrusive ads, no product placement, remember nba
Like GT7. Makes the real world tracks and cars, well, feel real.

I was impressed with the amount of placements they had on billboards, down to local hospitals and the like.

Plantoid

I don't see a problem with it, lots of games have fake ads, why can't they be real ads?

In Forza, fifa, GTA, even starfield i can see ads being placed without any issue, as long as it's not intrusive

I don't see a problem with it, lots of games have fake ads, why can't they be real ads?

In Forza, fifa, GTA, even starfield i can see ads being placed without any issue, as long as it's not intrusive
But, they don't do it only when it makes sense.

pC3iKIj.png

What are real name-brand items doing in Final Fantasy?

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
MS doings shady things on Windows 11 regarding Ads, Xbox having a story of ads in his dashboard as well , now Sony follow through.

One have to say that, MS is definitely the trendsetter that a lot of people claim. They deserve to be Numero Uno and lead this industry at higher highs.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

I would have a big problem with it in Starfield since it is a SciFi game set several hundred years in the future. Ads for current day products would be really out of place and kill the immersion.

For the other games you mentioned I'd have no problem as long as it was product placement or billboards and not actual ads.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
But, they don't do it only when it makes sense.

pC3iKIj.png

What are real name-brand items doing in Final Fantasy?
I remember seeing that in FFXV as was like WTF?!?!?

Game sucked on so many levels for other reasons but if it had been an actual good game, it would totally have killed any immersion.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

This is basically exactly how I feel I just .... didn't want to write this all out.

I would have a big problem with it in Starfield since it is a SciFi game set several hundred years in the future. Ads for current day products would be really out of place and kill the immersion.

For the other games you mentioned I'd have no problem as long as it was product placement or billboards and not actual ads.
This obviously won't happen in Starfield. It would be a ridiculous disaster and I don't think Bethesda would stand for that being forced on them.

This is also the kind of "bad example" I would be referring to.

Banned
I really don't think either will use this in any real way. Sony might use it to have up to date billboard ads in MLB, which already is full of ads anyways... and Microsoft might add actually billboards into stuff like Forza.

in both cases these ads would actually make the games more realistic, which given that both try to be realistic depictions of their respective sport should not be an issue

Last edited:
I think this should have been done long time ago already. I mean, what better place to market your gamer targeted products than in a f videogame!?

The problem would be if these ads get to be intrusive or if the games get designed around these, like they are in the mobile gaming market. Otherwise I think it's ok. Playing a car game and having real life offers in billboards instead of an outdated ad artwork it's better imho.

EDIT: also, get rekt streamers with exclusivity sponsor ad deals
Advertising is meant to be intrusive. Who the hell is going to pay millions for an ad that people don't notice?

It's probably best, for some ppl's mental health, to accept that this is going to happen. You're advertised to EVERYWHERE else... why not in video games. I can't see it being any worse than web ads... it sure as hell won't be as bad as YouTube ads 🤦‍♂️ I can't foresee you playing a game and in the middle of a boss fight BOOM 30 sec ad :messenger_tears_of_joy: that would be terrible and l have all faith that it won't be that way. Have them in the background where it makes sense and we're good.

Can wait for:

"Hey, this game is free to play, but you can pay $4.99 month for ad-free".

Or

"Hey maahh guy, this game is free to play, but there's this version ad-free for $19.99 year".

This fucking sucks. Players should be against it by all means.

If this is to encourage more free to play games, what's gonna happen when people no longer want to pay for real games? It's like a snowball about to go downhill.

Last edited:
I'm keeping the same energy. This isn't a big deal as long as it is not intrusive. News flash games have had ads for years now. There is even something to be said for clever product placement like the Pizza Huts in Crazy Taxi. It added a level of realism.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
So how long till a tier of gold/plus that eliminates adds from your paid games….

Rayderism

I could see ad placement being like a template where it could be swapped out for new ads over time to make a game world seem more realistic. It could also help a game to stay purchasable longer, and not get delisted due to licensing issues.....just swap to new ads. Billboards, store fronts, side of buses, stuff like that could just be changed periodically as their agreements expire and they get new ones.

As long as they keep them unobtrusive during the game, it could be fine. Don't be like, "You've been playing for 38 seconds, here's a two minute unskippable ad before you continue." Just have it like it is when you drive down the road, or walk somewhere in real life....ads are everywhere in the real world, so if they just make it more matter-of-fact, and not stop the game to shove an ad in your face, it could actually work to add to the realism of the game and maybe help fund the games being developed with ad revenue. They could even make it where if you saw an ad for something you found interesting, you could...like....click on it to get more detailed info on the thing being advertised. I mean, I would never do that, but some people probably would.

But the pessimist in me figures no, they'll be assholes about it to the point where it actually stops you from playing the game to ad-hell you to death before you can continue, and instead of being more realistic, it will just be annoying game-stoppers that will ultimately make you hate the game.

Last edited:

3liteDragon

I hope there’s a big enough backlash against it that they don’t go through with this, but I doubt it.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
It's probably best, for some ppl's mental health, to accept that this is going to happen. You're advertised to EVERYWHERE else... why not in video games. I can't see it being any worse than web ads... it sure as hell won't be as bad as YouTube ads 🤦‍♂️ I can't foresee you playing a game and in the middle of a boss fight BOOM 30 sec ad :messenger_tears_of_joy: that would be terrible and l have all faith that it won't be that way. Have them in the background where it makes sense and we're good.
A lot of people live ad-free lifestyles. Don't watch cable and have an ad blocker on all of your devices.

arvfab

Banned
I'm keeping the same energy. This isn't a big deal as long as it is not intrusive. News flash games have had ads for years now. There is even something to be said for clever product placement like the Pizza Huts in Crazy Taxi. It added a level of realism.

I would agree if it stayed this way, but you know how these corps are. They start with something small, and as soon as it is accepted, they start building on it.

We are slowly moving away from loading screens, but maybe they will have a comeback with a stupid excuse, only to show you an ad. Or how about a short ad while you are waiting for your next online match?

A lot of people live ad-free lifestyles. Don't watch cable and have an ad blocker on all of your devices.
TV is easy enough to avoid, ad blockers work well enough... but if you're on any social media at all you'll see ads. The only way to avoid that would be to swear off all social media.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
A lot of F2P games just have a "watch ads to earn rewards" thing built into the UX. They aren't required, and they let you watch them and earn things while waiting for a lobby and whatnot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom