• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Business Insider] Sony is building an ad program that will let brands advertise in PlayStation games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sony is working on a plan to put ads inside PlayStation games, sources said, similar to a move by Microsoft to run ads in Xbox.
Three people who are involved in the plans said Sony is doing testing with adtech partners to help game developers create in-game ads through a software developer program. The idea is to encourage developers to keep building free-to-play games, which have soared in the pandemic, by giving them a way to monetize them, they said.

Same energy folks

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
https%3A%2F%2Fs3-images.gamingbible.co.uk%2Fs3%2Fcontent%2Fb49957305dcb917e741d47653e7150fc.png

This news making me thirsty

Oh of course, "Sony Too™"

So like always...who's the source? How credible are they? What's their track record? Do they have any investments in things that are a conflict of interest? And lastly, we've already seen this go around before with used games and DRM back in 2013; if Microsoft were smart they'd not push this and if Sony were smart they'd just repeat what they did in 2013.

EDIT: Also I'm just gonna come out and say it, this feels like a pretty conveniently timed leak in response to the negativity this ad program was generating on the Xbox side. Like people will accept the concept better if Sony's supposedly doing it as well. Maybe some people would; I personally wouldn't.

The only offering from any platform holder where this makes sense would be their game subscription service. That's it. And that's only because it would mirror the cable TV model. If I'm paying for my games outright, I shouldn't have to deal with ads breaking up the immersion, save that for people playing the game through GamePass or PS+ game streaming feature.

"Oh it'll just be for F2P", that's how it starts. Nope.

I remember when EA did this for Burnout? Or was it Need for Speed?

Those were integrated ads into the game world, where you'd have an in-game billboard as an asset on a course maybe featuring a real-world product. That kind of ad integration, I'm generally okay with, because at least it fits the context of the game world, isn't really breaking immersion, and you can easily avoid it altogether if you wish.

These ad program plans for MS (and apparently, Sony too™), just cram full-on ads in-between the gaming sessions. I'm guessing it'd be at points like load screens, when launching the game, or stuff like that. Even so, would completely ruin the sense of immersion, especially if it's for products you know would not exist in the time period the game takes place in, and you're forced to sit and wait for the ad to finish (or a few seconds to then skip like you can on Youtube).

If there's no console version of Adblock, they can keep that idea in the closet.

Last edited:

So like always...who's the source? How credible are they? What's their track record? Do they have any investments in things that are a conflict of interest? And lastly, we've already seen this go around before with used games and DRM back in 2013; if Microsoft were smart they'd not push this and if Sony were smart they'd just repeat what they did in 2013.

Source is the same as for the Microsoft rumour. If you believed that (you did) then you'll believe this too, I imagine.

RafterXL

Considering the amount of idiots blaming the Microsoft news on Gamepass, I wonder how they'll spin this.

I notice you didn't ask any of that about the Microsoft news, from the same fucking website. Could you be more transparent?

.Pennywise

Banned
I think this should have been done long time ago already. I mean, what better place to market your gamer targeted products than in a f videogame!?

The problem would be if these ads get to be intrusive or if the games get designed around these, like they are in the mobile gaming market. Otherwise I think it's ok. Playing a car game and having real life offers in billboards instead of an outdated ad artwork it's better imho.

EDIT: also, get rekt streamers with exclusivity sponsor ad deals

Last edited:

Infamy v1

Considering the amount of idiots blaming the Microsoft news on Gamepass, I wonder how they'll spin this.

I notice you didn't ask any of that about the Microsoft news, from the same fucking website. Could you be more transparent?

Yep, these fanboys are as transparent as glass. I made a partial wall of shame here but there were so many of these bootlickers that I couldn't fit all the quotes in.

tenor.gif

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

There wont be spin as he'll avoid posting in the thread altogether going forward.

Source is the same as for the Microsoft rumour. If you believed that (you did) then you'll believe this too, I imagine.

I believe it insofar as Microsoft have a history of wanting to push these types of monetization practices in their gaming offerings. The whole thing with the DRM and always-online, and their idiotic messaging around it, that did happen. They did try doubling the price of XBL Gold last year out of nowhere and with no added benefits, or did everyone just forget?

Look the idea itself is sus, if it's going to be done the way it sounds like it will. I'm 100% against that type of ad monetization practice outside of content in a gaming subscription service, because anyone thinking it will be just for F2P games (on MS's side), is being delusional. If it works there, why won't they try making it work with non-F2P games, too? At least if they cap it at GamePass then it isn't too much different from the way it's done on cable TV networks.

You'll have to forgive me for believing MS would want to actually push for this but you'll also have to forgive me for thinking the timing of this particular one with Sony is pretty convenient and at least partly some type of damage control over the backlash the one with MS has gotten by a lot of people. But also, there were "leaks" in 2013 showing Sony were going to do all the same no used games, DRM, always-online stuff XBO was doing, and we know what actually happened.

I didn't have time to post in the thread. However the reason I probably wouldn't ask those particular questions is because unfortunately Microsoft have a pretty open history of trying to implement monetization-driven features that IMO do more harm to the Xbox brand than good. Again, the always-online, no-used games DRM stuff from 2013 (and their insipid messaging around it that just made it worst). Them wanting to double the price of XBL Gold last year (and instead of that just being a rumor, they literally made the announcement official and walked it back after everyone hated the change), which was very recent.

Now this ad program stuff; considering MS's services-driven strategy I'm almost certain they're going to implement it and maybe it does start with F2P but they also have a couple of 1P games with ads in them so I don't think they're against doing it for those games as well. At which point what more is there to really say? At least with Sony I know there is a prior instance where they were "said" to be doing the same kind of stuff as MS and it turned out they didn't. Not only that they never confirmed the rumors or supposed leaks in any way, either, and I don't remember them trying to double the price of PS+ for no reason last year. They're only doing it now to consolidate PS Now into PS+ and there are clear benefits coming with the price doubling (which is not required if you still want regular PS+).

If Sony confirm this, if they're going to do this ad thing too the way it's being described, my stance isn't going to change. It'll be a net negative, it'll spread out beyond F2P games and it will hurt immersion. If they or Microsoft have a way to integrate the ads into the game itself tho, as non-intrusive, easily-ignorable assets on game billboards, buildings etc. (and where the ads would fit the setting of the game), then fine. I don't really have a problem with THAT method.

But that one requires a lot more work and isn't what's being talked about, so again what's the point in focusing on it from that POV?

Zeroing

Banned
I did talked about this before, this is ridiculous because we gamers ( people who enjoy playing games ) spend more time arguing about who is the worst of the companies and ignore the real issue we were arguing about.

Also gaming media sucks, they are clickbait after clickbait, fake insiders galore etc I remember the pre PS4 showcase where even the gaming media was saying "Sony Too"

Anyway Sony or MS or both doing it... it is bad.

Shrap

If they actually implement this shit in anything other than F2P then they can get in the sea. They make more money than ever with more customers than ever in a bigger industry than ever that has more extra content costs and service costs than ever... Yet it's still not enough.

I will go PC only if I start seeing doritos ads in God of War.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom