• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Business Insider] Microsoft is building an ad program that will let brands advertise in Xbox games

nikolino840

The article's very first line also clarifies that they're targeting ads for free to play games.

So these are probably not gonna affect the next Gears, Forza, Starfield etc.
And without Money for MS

hmoziRS.jpg

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Gamepass getting all the good stuff.

What's next? Games being released in chapters like Netflix instead of full games?

What does game pass have to do with this ?

It's only for free to play games, and it's not even a thing. Just a concept right now.

Microsoft wants to let advertisers place ads inside free-to-play Xbox games,

Last edited:

MScarpa

Don't care, just give me good games, that I can enjoy and have fun with. I don't care if they're is an Obama ad, or Mountain Dew , or Chevrolet.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I feel like I'm experiencing deja vu. I could have swore Microsoft first broached such a concept back around the release of the Xbox One.

Edit: also I don't mind this. I viewed it as an inevitability in online games back when I first experienced PlayStation Home.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Shocked its taken this long tbh. seems like a no brainer. As long as its done well i couldn't care less, product placement etc. if a game starts blasting full blown ads at me while a games loading or paused.....yeah no thanks.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
What does game pass have to do with this ?

It's only for free to play games, and it's not even a thing. Just a concept right now.

Very true.

The article explicitly states this is for FREE-TO-PLAY games. Nowhere does it mention anything to do with Game Pass. So how many times are these stupid trolls going to keep trying to tie this to Game Pass.

Regarding the actual topic: I don't play any ftp games so this won't affect me, but I don't think I'd object to replacing ads for fake products in games with real ads if it makes sense. It would be completely stupid and annoying in games like Halo, Fallout, RDR but for games in current times, I think that would be OK.

Personally, as long as they aren't stopping gameplay or taking up most of the screen I really couldn't care less, as long as the devs at least attempt to make it look like it fits within the game world

How do you even track the efficiency of in-game ads? Like, do you walk up to an in-game billboard and select it and it takes you to the website where you can purchase the product?

If there's no way to tie the sale back to the ad, how do you prove to your clients that the ad was effective?

Dream-Knife

Banned
Didn't Sony patent something like this a few years ago?

Interactive dystopian tv ads:

Advertisements that halt gameplay:

Advertisements in VR headset:

How do you even track the efficiency of in-game ads? Like, do you walk up to an in-game billboard and select it and it takes you to the website where you can purchase the product?

If there's no way to tie the sale back to the ad, how do you prove to your clients that the ad was effective?
I'm guessing the same way they did with TV ads back in the day. There was no shopping link after the Volvo advert. It's all about how many people who played X game went and bought Y product.

I don't mind things like real product billboards in open world games or a real brand can or bottle being used as that just adds to the realism IMO but if it's something where you have to start watching ads in games between rounds or see them when you load up the game that's annoying AF.

Last edited:
I don't know as i don't care about any of them as they never affect me as i have never paid for no DLC or loot boxes in my life
same thing with this i won't care about it at all lol
I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to never having paid for DLC or Loot Boxes. But let's not be naive and say it doesn't affect us, because it affects the games we play and the way that those games are released.

I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to never having paid for DLC or Loot Boxes. But let's not be naive and say it doesn't affect us, because it affects the games we play and the way that those games are released.
I can't say for anyone else but for me it won't affect at all cause ill just drop the game or won't even bother to try it
there are to many games for me to care ill just play what i want instead of worry bout these F2P games

reksveks

Shocked its taken this long tbh. seems like a no brainer. As long as its done well i couldn't care less, product placement etc. if a game starts blasting full blown ads at me while a games loading or paused.....yeah no thanks.
This is already being done in games like Football Manager

clarky

Gold Member
This is already being done in games like Football Manager
Really? Not played that game in a very long time, but seems like a no brainer to me.

I know they said FTP games but this will make it into AAA stuff eventually, and to me a preferable alternative to MTX as long as its not at the cost of gameplay why not? Say GTAVI with real coke billboards and such or like someone else said billboards in forza, if you've got a million kids wizzing past your sign a day got to be more effective than one on the actual race track. Don't want ads just pay full price, DLC? ads around the new tracks, or buy the tracks. Not sure how you'd get them into COD though lol.

Last edited:
Lol, all the Xbox posters here are completely fine with this. Shocking. And I'm sure if it was PlayStation doing this, those same guys wouldn't have ANY issues with that either.

Watch this cause legality issues ten years from now where games are pulled down because of some copyright issues pertaining to ads found in the game.

Last edited:
Lol, all the Xbox posters here are completely fine with this. Shocking. And I'm sure if it was PlayStation doing this, those same guys wouldn't have ANY issues with that either.

Watch this cause legality issues ten years from now where games are pulled down because of some copyright issues pertaining to ads found in the game.
First off let's not act like if this was something Sony was doing this wouldn't be widely accepted by Sony fans. Fans of certain platforms accept pretty much whatever those platform owners do. Sony fans aren't rebelling against cloud saves being behind a paywall for instance despite it being free on another platform.

Secondly this tech is supposed to do dynamic ads so it is highly unlikely that there will be old ads locked into the game causing copyright issues. This isn't a big deal because it isn't a big deal. Ads are already in games and as long as the ads aren't intrusive who cares especially in F2P titles.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Captain Toad Captain Toad

I advertise for PlayStation. For free.​

-

PS. You're getting worked up over something which is a/ a concept at the moment and b/ only meant to target free to play games if it ever goes through. Relax. :messenger_peace:

Last edited:
I'm guessing the same way they did with TV ads back in the day. There was no shopping link after the Volvo advert. It's all about how many people who played X game went and bought Y product.
Good point. Back in the day, you couldn't be certain of exactly who saw the TV advert unless they happened to be one of the people with a Nielsen box. Now they could probably link someone's Microsoft account info to an eventual credit card purchase.

sachos

I hope if they end up implementing this stuff they allow for an option to play offline and the "ad space" to render an offline default fake ad, otherwise that would mean real time ads in games = online only games. No thanks, imagine your 70 usd game having a ticking time bomb until the server goes down just so it can have even more ways to monetize your playtime.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Didn't Sony patent something like this a few years ago?

Interactive dystopian tv ads:

Advertisements that halt gameplay:

Advertisements in VR headset:
turntables GIF

I hope if they end up implementing this stuff they allow for an option to play offline and the "ad space" to render an offline default fake ad, otherwise that would mean real time ads in games = online only games. No thanks, imagine your 70 usd game having a ticking time bomb until the server goes down just so it can have even more ways to monetize your playtime.
Well I certainly hope a F2P title isn't $70.

reksveks

Most if not all implementations have a cache or fallback of an ad

Captain Toad Captain Toad

I advertise for PlayStation. For free.​

-

PS. You're getting worked up over something which is a/ a concept at the moment and b/ only meant to target free to play games if it ever goes through. Relax. :messenger_peace:
You seem more worked up.

How about bit of your own posting style.

I'll take your role....ChanApellersAdamDoog:
"There is nothing saying it will never be used in GamePass games.

Only you're saying that."
200.gif

Am I doing this right?

dcmk7

Banned
First off let's not act like if this was something Sony was doing this wouldn't be widely accepted by Sony fans. Fans of certain platforms accept pretty much whatever those platform owners do. Sony fans aren't rebelling against cloud saves being behind a paywall for instance despite it being free on another platform.

Secondly this tech is supposed to do dynamic ads so it is highly unlikely that there will be old ads locked into the game causing copyright issues. This isn't a big deal because it isn't a big deal. Ads are already in games and as long as the ads aren't intrusive who cares especially in F2P titles.
irony GIF

Top Bottom