• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Business Insider] Microsoft is building an ad program that will let brands advertise in Xbox games

Microsoft wants to let advertisers place ads inside free-to-play Xbox games, and it is currently identifying adtech companies who can create the in-game inventory and work with ad agencies to place the ads, said two people who are involved in the talks.

This new program will boost Xbox's limited ad inventory by adding more games that brands can advertise in and by allowing more developers to sell ad space.

Those sources said those ads would show up as, for instance, digitally rendered billboards in a car racing game. Insider was unable to learn if Xbox will also offer other types of in-game ad units, like avatar skins or video ads that play in gaming lobbies. Insider was also unable to determine if Microsoft has pitched the Xbox offering to advertisers yet.

Insider's sources expect this capability to be live by the third quarter.

Microsoft did not confirm these plans. A spokesperson said,"We are always looking for ways to improve the experience for players and developers but we don't have anything further to share."

Meanwhile, at Google HQ:

vader.jpg.pagespeed.ce.qrJxkWHeej.jpg

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I don't see what the big deal is, unless it starts affecting game design. I.e. .... "billboards" everywhere. Or every game becomes Blade Runner-esque with blimps announcing products and coke ads on the sides of entire buildings.

The article's very first line also clarifies that they're targeting ads for free to play games.

So these are probably not gonna affect the next Gears, Forza, Starfield etc.

Tripolygon

Banned
Good growth opportunity for MS.
And as always, Sony will follow suit a year or two later.
This is not new to Sony, they had partnerships for placing ads in-game going back to the PS3 era.

adamsapple

This is not new to Sony, they had partnerships for placing ads in-game going back to the PS3 era.

Burnout Paradise clasically had various bill boards do dynamic ads in the games world as pictured a few posts above as well.

The practice isn't new at all.

Dr Bass

The article's very first line also clarifies that they're targeting ads for free to play games.

So these are probably not gonna affect the next Gears, Forza, Starfield etc.
Yeah, "targeting free to play games."

That's how it starts, of course. If you don't think billboard ad space will be sold in Forza down the road, I think that's a bit naive. I mean why would you not? But then again, if it starts becoming a way to further monetize paid games and it starts getting worked into the game worlds to be more visible ...

Of course, no need to "worry" until it happens. But nothing about this is surprising.

adamsapple

I'd rather see billboards with actual ads then fake one to be honest.

Have you played the PS4 game Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed ?

That game had an option to either show real life ads between load screens or toggle them off just to show a black screen. I always kept the ads on because it felt 'authentic' to the games experience, and the ads were all related to some extremely Japanese stuff like ramen noodles and stuff that I would never have seen anywhere else.

Kuranghi

It's more realistic. What's the point of fake ads? Do you enjoy looking at fake ads? And if you don't care either way, what's to concern?

I just wondered, no ire meant. I agree its more realistic in games trying to be even semi-realistic but I wouldn't want to see real ads in fantasy worlds for example, that takes me out of it.

GHG

Gold Member
I'd rather see billboards with actual ads then fake one to be honest.

Outside of a handful of games I don't see how this would add anything to the environment of most game worlds.

It's more realistic. What's the point of fake ads? Do you enjoy looking at fake ads? And if you don't care either way, what's the concern?

Most games are not realistic or set in current day though.

We are having ads in the games these days anyway. As long as they are not obstructive - it does not really matter. Who cares if the banner in th game comes from real or a fiction company?

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I just wondered, no ire meant. I agree its more realistic in games trying to be even semi-realistic but I wouldn't want to see real ads in fantasy worlds for example, that takes me out of it.
I also wouldn't like them cramming in ads where they don't belong. Being as these are FTP games only, I probably won't play them anyway, but I'm certainly not advocating for this if it's heavy handed.

Also, don't these things already exist? I'm certain there are Halo skins based on brands.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I don't see what the big deal is, unless it starts affecting game design. I.e. .... "billboards" everywhere. Or every game becomes Blade Runner-esque with blimps announcing products and coke ads on the sides of entire buildings.

Yeah I'm kind of surprised it's not already a thing. Like walking past decrepit Burker Kings in TLOU instead of Burger Joint Name 1, or billboards in Watch Dogs having real ads for Pepsi, real ads from sports games on the side boards etc.

Just seems like natural evolution. Of course context is important. You don't wanna be seeing a bait shop in RDR2 with Shimano ads, or Audible ads as you're roaming round the new Fable.

This is just the part where they slowly lube you up for the full blown paused game ads. All these companies see the way mobile games are cleaning up with F2P- MTX- AD Space and they want to put it console gaming. Console gamings current revenue potential is too limited as it is, these companies see all the money they are leaving on the table by not doing more. They are just slowly introducing these things like they did with horse armor.

Right now its F2P….then it will be ‘pay x amount for ad free gaming’ like hulu. I 100% expect AAA console gaming to mirror mobile gaming next gen

338538_623861417a5a446aadfe12cc719e6bfc~mv2.gif

Top Bottom