• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Burger King is Testing a Vegetarian Whopper Made With Impossible Burger

llien

Burger King is testing a vegetarian version of its Whopper that uses an Impossible Burger for its patties, becoming the first national fast-food chain to sell the plant-based burger. From a report: The Restaurant Brands International subsidiary is offering the Impossible Whopper at 59 St. Louis locations. The chain already sells veggie patties made by Kellogg's vegetarian brand, Morningstar Farms. To announce the launch, Burger King released a video on April Fools' Day that shows unsuspecting Whopper fans eating the version with the Impossible Burger and then exclaiming that they can't taste the difference. Silicon Valley-based Impossible Foods genetically engineers heme, a protein that makes the vegetarian-friendly burger taste like meat. The ingredient is also responsible for giving the patty red juices that make it look like it's bleeding, just like a piece of beef.

It's notable that White Castle had been selling them for about a year by now.

Impossible Foods Inc. is a company that develops plant-based substitutes for meat and dairy products. Headquartered in Redwood City, California,[2] the company aims to give people the taste and nutritional benefits of meat without the negative health and environmental impacts associated with livestock products.[3] The company researches animal products at the molecular level, then selects specific proteins and nutrients from plants to recreate the experience of meats and dairy products.[3] Its signature product, the Impossible Burger, was launched in July 2016.

An actual "Impossible Burger":

1920px-Impossible_Burger_free_sample.jpg

Technology, it's about Heme

Impossible Foods' scientists discovered that heme is a key factor in how meat behaves.[15] Heme is the molecule that gives blood its red color and helps carry oxygen in living organisms.[16] Heme is abundant in animal muscle tissue and is also found naturally in all living organisms.[17] Plants, particularly nitrogen-fixing plants and legumes, also contain heme.[18] The plant-based heme molecule is identical to the heme molecule found in meat.[19][20]
To produce heme protein from non-animal sources, Impossible Foods selected the leghemoglobin molecule found naturally in the roots of soy plants.[21] To make it in large quantities, the company's scientists genetically engineered a yeast and used a fermentation process very similar to the brewing process used to make some types of beer.[22]
In 2014, Impossible Foods obtained a Generally Recognized As Safe designation for the leghemoglobin in the company's flagship product.[23] In addition, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued a "no questions" letter in July 2018, accepting the unanimous conclusion of a panel of food-safety experts that the protein that carries heme is safe to eat.[24]
The company said that its scientists created a chemical library of proteins and fats derived from plants and experimented with them as additional ingredients to mimic the texture of meat.[25] To replicate the fat in hamburgers made from cows, Impossible Foods used flecks of coconut fat, which were mixed with ground textured wheat and potato protein.[26] The potato protein provides a firm exterior when the "meat" is seared.[27] The coconut oil stayed solid until heated, when it melted in a similar manner to beef fat.[28]

Mind you, none of that sounds like "healthy food", but if you are against killing animals and eating their flesh, or just want try something new, and live in USA, there you go.

brap

Banned
I had an impossible burger from White Castle and it just tasted like shitty fake meat.

ive had the impossible burger and its okay. like the patty itself you can definitely taste the difference but with all the toppings and other shit then youre like "wow what a burger!". i mean i know its a bad thing to say but in terms of the animal suffering and all that i dont have an ounce of caring. i mean i can watch a documentary and feel bad for the run time but at least im honest

I'll never eat some frankenstein shit that came out of a lab.

There are plenty of Indian fried food items that have a meaty texture and taste absolutely delicious. If I went vegan that's what I'd live off of.

Those Impossible Burger patties are fuckin delicious. Unlike any veggie burger I have had before. Really good.

Still am buying a regular double bacon whopper, though. Every time

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Those Impossible Burger patties are fuckin delicious. Unlike any veggie burger I have had before. Really good.

Still am buying a regular double bacon whopper, though. Every time
Yup, it was fine, but a real burger still tastes better. I'm impressed by the tech behind it though.

Catphish

They should use Beyond Burger instead.

That shit is the truth. Best tasting meatless burger I've ever had. I buy at least a package every week. 👍

badblue

The Canadian A&W locations have the Beyond Burger and they are pretty damn good. I'm tending to get those over the regular meat patties when I go.

Hopefully BK brings the Impossible burger to Canada, since they don't seem to be available here at all. I'd like to try one.

The Canadian A&W locations have the Beyond Burger and they are pretty damn good. I'm tending to get those over the regular meat patties when I go.

Hopefully BK brings the Impossible burger to Canada, since they don't seem to be available here at all. I'd like to try one.

IMHO the Impossible is way better than Beyond, but thats just me.

brap

Banned
Yeah, but... so do all their burgers.

I love White Castle, but let's be real. Those are some bottom-of-the-barrel burgers.
They have their own taste though. The impossible thing tastes like the 'meat' you'd get in a can of campbells chunky soup or something. Even has that fake grill flavor.

DiscoJer

White Castle used to be bottom of the barrel, you'd go there at night and there'd be drunks and winos and such because while small, they were also cheap. But their prices have skyrocketed and now become almost a gourmet place.

I am from St. Louis where they've tested this and so far the consensus seems to be it's dry and tastes funny, so not unlike the regular Whopper.

White Castle used to be bottom of the barrel, you'd go there at night and there'd be drunks and winos and such because while small, they were also cheap. But their prices have skyrocketed and now become almost a gourmet place.

I am from St. Louis where they've tested this and so far the consensus seems to be it's dry and tastes funny, so not unlike the regular Whopper.

What’s a wino?

cant wait to try an impossible burger, but its a stupid novelty item.

IF the world banned FF ground meat burgers and all you could choose between were a variety of veggetal patties, insect patties, or an impossible patty.

i'm choosing the impossible burger last.

llien

Was wondering if any place in Germany serves them and run into counter selling "impossible burgers" (in Metro, wholesale network).
Price surprised me: 30 euros for 1kg (which is 10 patties)
You can buy excellent (real) meat patties (Argentinian/French beef) for less than a half of that sum.

Top Bottom