• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie Next IP Could Be A Free-to-Play Game, Job Listing Suggests

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Earlier today, Bungie has posted a new job listing advert for “Senior Marketing Manager” which suggests that Bungie’s new IP may adopt the free-to-play model, similar to what we’ve seen with Destiny 2, along with other major successful titles like Apex Legends, and Call of Duty: Warzone.

Under the “Nice-to-have skills” section, it says that the individual to have experience with games-as-a-service titles (similar to Destiny 2), MMO, F2P (free-to-play), and mobile. “Experience with enterprise scale live operations, games as a service, MMO, F2P, and mobile,” job listing states.

Bungie has been actively hiring for its next IP which is releasing in 2025. Earlier this year in April 2021, thanks to DestinyNews+, we saw another job position for “Multiplayer Systems Designer” for Bungie’s IP in which it stated that the individual must have “strong familiarity with competitive gaming/esports landscape,” with a lot of focus on competitive gaming and PvP side of things.

Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles

MrFunSocks

Banned
All of these big GaaS games should just go free to play tbh. Sell "season pass" type things for like $15, sell cosmetic microtransactions, etc. Fortnite, Warzone, etc just rake in money and it's mostly because they're free. Halo Infinite MP is doing this too.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
Sorry for off-topic tangent here.

It actually kind of really bent me the wrong way how Bungie treated Marty O'Donnell. I get that for legal reasons he was held to, he should have kept his mouth shut, but I just don't like it from a human/moral standpoint. Just as a musician, I kind of empathize with how we are always somehow expected to be some kind of cheap or free asset for everyone to use. And yet, you hear this composer's music A LOT.

Also for me, free to play often becomes likely to pay anyway. So I think I'm sitting Bungie out for a while.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Destiny 2 is also F2P, you don't need Gold to play Destiny 2. But just like Guild Wars 2, the free to play version is so limited that you have to go with the paid version.

Shmunter

What could they possibly do to top Destiny for instant GaaS hit? Is destiny 2 still a hugely active game today? I can only see them moving away from it is if it’s waning.

Balboa

Nobody would ever buy another Bungie game after Destiny 2 so going to F2P would be a sound strategy

I'm actually looking forward to Bungie focusing on a PVP game again. They were the original architects of the modern competitive gaming scene in many ways and while much has changed both at Bungie and in the industry, I'm curious to try their new take.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The speculations come from the Twitter bio of Donya Shirzad, the Executive Producer at Bungie. Her bio states that she is in charge of “Producing future Destiny games” for Bungie. While that’s still quite vague, a job listing gives us some more information.

Are we getting a Destiny mobile game?​

The latest job listing posted by Donya is about a partner-focused Executive Producer. The person’s responsibilities include “to help build a team supporting international partners working with the Destiny IP.” The fact that there is no mention of Destiny 2 but the Destiny IP in general pretty much gives away the fact that something is definitely cooking at Bungie.

Upon further digging up, some more interesting details surface. Under the required skills, there is a mention of experience in developing mobile games. Also, there is a mention about “willingness to travel to China”, which again further hints towards a mobile game.

Phase

The speculations come from the Twitter bio of Donya Shirzad, the Executive Producer at Bungie. Her bio states that she is in charge of “Producing future Destiny games” for Bungie. While that’s still quite vague, a job listing gives us some more information.

Are we getting a Destiny mobile game?​

The latest job listing posted by Donya is about a partner-focused Executive Producer. The person’s responsibilities include “to help build a team supporting international partners working with the Destiny IP.” The fact that there is no mention of Destiny 2 but the Destiny IP in general pretty much gives away the fact that something is definitely cooking at Bungie.

Upon further digging up, some more interesting details surface. Under the required skills, there is a mention of experience in developing mobile games. Also, there is a mention about “willingness to travel to China”, which again further hints towards a mobile game.

Scared Oh No GIF

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Bungie, the developer of Halo and Destiny, might be working on a separate mobile game for its Destiny IP. This is implied by multiple new job listings posted on the company’s career website yesterday and this past month.

The first position, which was published yesterday, is for the Art Director who “will work with both an internal team and external partners to ensure we are making a great Destiny experience for players, optimized for platform and market territories, and upholding the Destiny IP pillars and brand.” The main thing to notice here is, under the “Required Skills” section, it says the candidate must have experience with shipping “at least one AAA or large mobile title as an Art Director.”

• Willingness to travel to China and/or host visits from partner teams on a regular cadence (likely every 2-3 months)

carlosrox

Banned
Bungie's always been mad overrated IMO. Not expecting much from whatever they create but if they manage to make something that interests me I'm willing to give them a chance.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Bungie, the developer behind Halo and Destiny games, is hiring for its next enduring competitive game “that connects with players and lasts for years, supporting hundreds of hours of gameplay.”

Bungie has put out multiple job listings on its website for its new IP, many of which feature some kind of competitive/esports knowledge requirement for applicants. Yesterday, Bungie posted a position for “Director of Product Management” for its new IP which says that the applicant must have a “passion for competitive live service games and a strong understanding of the industry.”

Last year, TGP reported the Bungie’s new IP features “lighthearted and whimsical characters.” After analyzing a couple more job listings this year, we could say that this unannounced competitive game will feature these characters.

“Conceive of, build, and iterate on competitive multiplayer game mechanics that provide strategic depth and opportunities for counterplay.” the listing adds. “Strong familiarity with global gaming markets and the competitive gaming/esports landscape.”

Another position says, “Living inside a giant database of hundreds of baubles, weapons, and armor is nothing new to you. And neither is building a system to cleverly distribute those items in a necromancer’s dungeon.”

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Bungie has several projects in development, one of which is its “next enduring game IP,” and it looks like this new mysterious game will feature a monetization system.

This is according to a new job listing posted yesterday on Bungie’s Career website. The position is for “Senior Software Engineer – Commerce” which says, “Do you love games that engage their players as long-term hobbies?  Do you believe you can help design and develop systems for engagement and monetization that enhance the game as a hobby?”

“Do you enjoy collaborating closely with both gameplay teams and business teams?  Would you like to join Bungie in creating our next enduring game IP?

“As a Senior Software Engineer focused on commerce you will be responsible for developing and continuously improving commerce systems for Bungie’s next big game. You will review gameplay and business requirements to ensure that we our meeting our business goals in compliance with our monetization values. ”

The job listing also suggests that this new IP from Bungie could be a live service game, similar to Destiny 2. “Experience working on a live service game. Experience developing or supporting game monetization, engagement, and/or analytics systems.”

ZehDon

Gold Member
They'll need to convince me their monetisation strategy for their new F2P title doesn't include removing the content I paid for before I give them the time of day again.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Bungie, the developer behind one of the leading looter-shooter — Destiny 2, seems to be working on extending its in-house game engine to support mobile platform releases.

According to a new “Senior Mobile Platforms Engineer” job listing, the candidate will help “extend the technology that [Bungie’s] games rely on to reach players on iOS and Android mobile platforms.”

“Are you excited to evolve Bungie’s internal game engine to support mobile platforms? You will solve the interesting problems of supporting mobile including player controls, UI, performance optimization, and size reduction.”

• Build and maintain production-quality C++ for mobile platforms
  • Professional experience as a software engineer on mobile games or applications (iOS and/or Android)

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Bungie, the developer behind one of the leading looter-shooter — Destiny 2, seems to be working on extending its in-house game engine to support mobile platform releases.

According to a new “Senior Mobile Platforms Engineer” job listing, the candidate will help “extend the technology that [Bungie’s] games rely on to reach players on iOS and Android mobile platforms.”

“Are you excited to evolve Bungie’s internal game engine to support mobile platforms? You will solve the interesting problems of supporting mobile including player controls, UI, performance optimization, and size reduction.”

• Build and maintain production-quality C++ for mobile platforms
  • Professional experience as a software engineer on mobile games or applications (iOS and/or Android)

DazzlingPeriodicGnatcatcher-size_restricted.gif

jaysius

Banned
With all these F2P games they place Halo Infinite in a shaky position.

The mental gymnastics on this one.
Laurie Hernandez Latina GIF by Latinx Heritage

calculating the hangover GIF

Sweet fuck, always with the console warring.

With your fucking logic of things always needing to be a fucking war 2+2=FUCK XBOX

And ABCDEFUCKXBOX.

Man oh man.

That's maybe a new record for a development of a game leading to someone needing to bring up a console war.

PuffyCan

After removing content I paid for they can forget me ever buying anything they do. I guess going free to play is their only option going forward lol

Top Bottom