• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie has filed a lawsuit against senders of bogus Destiny DMCA strikes (VCG)

kingfey

Banned

Bungie has filed a lawsuit against a group of anonymous individuals alleged to have sent a series of bogus Destiny DMCA strikes.

The studio said on March 20 that it was investigating a series of copyright takedowns on YouTube that had not been requested by the company or its partners, and that it would provide an update in due course.

And in a lawsuit filed on Friday (via TorrentFreak), Bungie claimed the John Does had used “a hole in YouTube’s DMCA-process security” to impersonate the studio and sabotage the work of Destiny content creators.

It said the senders of the fake takedown requests, which Google acted upon as if legitimate, had disrupted Bungie’s community and caused “nearly incalculable damage” to the company itself.

“Doe Defendants were able to [send fraudulent notices] because of a hole in YouTube’s DMCA-process security, which allows any person to claim to be representing any rights holder in the world for purposes of issuing a DMCA takedown,” Bungie said.

The studio intends to use a DMCA subpoena to identify the culprits in order to hold them accountable and make an example of them.

Bungie is seeking “damages and injunctive relief, including enhanced statutory damages of $150,000 for each Fraudulent Takedown Notice that willfully infringed Bungie’s copyrights”.

Bryank75

Banned

Bungie has filed a lawsuit against a group of anonymous individuals alleged to have sent a series of bogus Destiny DMCA strikes.

The studio said on March 20 that it was investigating a series of copyright takedowns on YouTube that had not been requested by the company or its partners, and that it would provide an update in due course.

And in a lawsuit filed on Friday (via TorrentFreak), Bungie claimed the John Does had used “a hole in YouTube’s DMCA-process security” to impersonate the studio and sabotage the work of Destiny content creators.

It said the senders of the fake takedown requests, which Google acted upon as if legitimate, had disrupted Bungie’s community and caused “nearly incalculable damage” to the company itself.

“Doe Defendants were able to [send fraudulent notices] because of a hole in YouTube’s DMCA-process security, which allows any person to claim to be representing any rights holder in the world for purposes of issuing a DMCA takedown,” Bungie said.

The studio intends to use a DMCA subpoena to identify the culprits in order to hold them accountable and make an example of them.

Bungie is seeking “damages and injunctive relief, including enhanced statutory damages of $150,000 for each Fraudulent Takedown Notice that willfully infringed Bungie’s copyrights”.

They should burn those POS people to the ground... absolutely unacceptable and scumbag behavior.

They had a lot of people running around trying to blame Bungie and Sony for all of this and Sony doesn't even formally own them yet.

They also threatened the livelihood of several creators, who have families. What were they thinking?

"a hole in YouTube’s DMCA-process security, which allows any person to claim to be representing any rights holder"
Wow really Google, your YT processes are that bad?! fucking hell

Google just does what it needs to do to not get sued.

Blocking any content is in their discretion.
Allowing possible protected content isn't.

Can we do this with other compagnies....I mean, it's that easy to put them offline? It's not for me, it's for a friend of a friend of a friend of my uncle that works at Nintendo and Microsoft and Apple that is doing some research! 🤡

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
Can we do this with other compagnies....I mean, it's that easy to put them offline? It's not for me, it's for a friend of a friend of a friend of my uncle that works at Nintendo and Microsoft and Apple that is doing some research! 🤡
Do not dare to make a joke about MS! I did one joke about MS and things didn’t got nice! I was expecting Will Smith to come here and slap me!

the world is not safe anymore for those who are joking around 😆

kingfey

Banned
Do not dare to make a joke about MS! I did one joke about MS and things didn’t got nice! I was expecting Will Smith to come here and slap me!

the world is not safe anymore for those who are joking around 😆
I can only do the safe version.
bitch slap GIF

ReBurn

Gold Member
Just shows how stupid YouTube's handling of DMCA takedown requests is. They always assume they're legit and only investigate if someone complains, and not even always then. Bungie should be all over Google for letting this happen, not just some nameless randos.

Last edited:
Top Bottom