• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie Devs - 'It's TOO Hot. I cant work!'

l2ounD

Folks I live in Seattle. It was crazy hot over the last few days. Like way beyond what this city is able to handle. Amazon was opening cooling centers, power was going out across the area.

I know in other states and countries this might seem like a ‘snow flake’ response. But it really shut down the city, so freaking hot.

listen I’m from North Carolina, lived there for 25 years. I know a few things about hot summers, and let me tell you, what happened in Seattle this past weekend was ridiculous.
Meh it wasnt that bad, reminded me of being in Texas for two days. No central AC in apartments suck but easy enough to walk downstairs to chill at a starbucks

Renozokii

Folks I live in Seattle. It was crazy hot over the last few days. Like way beyond what this city is able to handle. Amazon was opening cooling centers, power was going out across the area.

I know in other states and countries this might seem like a ‘snow flake’ response. But it really shut down the city, so freaking hot.

listen I’m from North Carolina, lived there for 25 years. I know a few things about hot summers, and let me tell you, what happened in Seattle this past weekend was ridiculous.
I’m in Florida. 90 is hot. 100 is fucking hot. 110? That’s dangerous. I’d genuinely love to see some of these macho tough guys sit in a chair in a room that is just 95 degrees. Their neck beards would be literally soaked.

Wait. There are places in America that don’t have AC?! I’d die if it was ever above 64 in my house
Many places are fine with just plugin fans during the summer. Won't do much in summer heat if it's to hot though, unless it's a large fan and it was already on before the temperature rose, keeping the room cool the whole time.

But after? Maybe in a few hours.

BlackTron

Why is the thread title belittling Bungie employees for not wanting to work in the heat, and then the content of OP states that they decided to stop for the day because all of the laptops are overheating?

I can't be the only one here, feeling like they are just getting too old for this stuff.

Neil Young

I suggest a kiddie pool with a fan, tall glass of iced tea. I used to work in a plant in vegas with only swamp coolers!! In the summer it would be about 115 to 120. It HAD to be like 150 plus in that plant. People would drop like flies. There's A LOT of shitty jobs out there folks.

I did my part and sent China a strongly worded letter thanking them for being the leaders in destroying the planet.....BUT, my letter was intercepted, marked as disinformation and conspiracy and now I'm currently on a terror watch list. I tried.

Barakov

Gold Member
Damn, I missed that one in my treatise:

No Way Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Again, there are hundreds of people in the US alone still dying each day. It's not paranoia, the pandemic isn't over. If it was over there wouldn't still be an increasing death toll. You're ignoring that there are people who literally cannot be vaccinated, but can still catch Covid from people who are vaccinated.

"Like every other company on earth"? I don't know where you're from but pretty much everyone I know is still working remotely if their job permits it. Those that do have to go into the office/workplace still have to wear masks.
My advice to you is never look up yearly death tolls and causes.

Covid viruses have always been killing people yearly and will continue to do so. Maybe even less than before the outbreak in a year or so because of the vaccines being made. The vaccines also work on new variants but that doesn’t make a good headline does it.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
I actually don't buy those excuses. There are many easy solutions even if you live in a barn. Here are some portable solutions:

10514384.png

817038_11721777_l.jpg

And you can use larger ones that just recycle the inner air:

SDL699794487-2.jpg

wG7hbWSeUpKlZP4OnC6Xjpg.jpg

Split units might not be good for cardboard homes though, so these are some of the better solutions.
So how the hell can an office be too hot? It doesn't make any sense. Hot days were around before global warming. It's not like this is the first year summer has existed.

Green_Eyes

It was hotter here where I am in the UK yesterday and I worked a full 8 hour day at home just fine

Remember also, AC is rare in the UK
Why you lying?

At most we hit around 25/26 Celsius. The temperatures being referred to in the OP are over 40.......

ZehDon

Gold Member
116 degrees F in the Pacific NW. As a sand person myself, that’s hot as balls.

EDIT: To you European lobsterbacks and their imperialized subjects, that’s 47 C.
*uɐılɐɹʇsn∀ uı sɥƃnɐl*

In all seriousness, once it breaks 40 degrees, that's getting dangerous for a lot of folks. I've lost count of PC hardware that I've gone through because it's just not designed for the Australian summer. Most Australian homes have some form of cooling, getting the temps down to very low 20s inside where its quite comfortable. Not a pleasant scenario if that isn't an option; 47 degrees is about where the warm air starts to hurt your face when you go outside. Imagine trying to make a game in that.

kiphalfton

ridiculous GIF

Global warming is the new COVID for excuses why people can't do their job.

Most people default to making an excuse when something doesn't get done, and some even make excuses in advance.
Love people calling developers lazy when their state is literally experiencing the hottest recorded temperatures ever. What is this 'pull yourself by the bootstraps' boomer mindset bullshit? If it's too hot, it's too hot. No wonder developers don't post here anymore. 🤦‍♂️

Live in one of these hot states. It sucked, but the worst of it came and went within a half-weeks time. Can only imagine the excuses these guys would make if they actually had to do manual labor, outside, in a hot area year round.

But that's what happens when it otherwise tends to top out at like 80°. You get a couple 100°+ degree days and people act like it's the end of the world. Same thing happened when it snowed a couple years back, and people called it "snow-pocalypse"... when it was only like 3" of snow. It's all relative, but people need to realize it can always be worse.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

A lot of idiotic takes, which I've come to expect.

Electronics require cooling. My laptop fans start going crazy if I don't turn on my AC at like 11am. A room fan is just circulating hot air. Aircon is best. Without it, say goodbye to computing.

Also, brains work better when kept comfortable. Coding is logic work. Seeing some responses here, I don't think some will understand how difficult that could be in a hot space.

Lastly, coders have it hard enough, I'm not going to ask them to go to an office when there are still so many people unvaccinated. It's just a few lost days. It's not going to cause a cascade. They can try making it up in crunch, or just add the days on to the target release date.

If you seriously can't respect people who make the games you play, then you can go fuck yourself. These are human beings. I hope someone comes and kicks the mop out of your hands today.

Last edited:

Covid viruses have always been killing people yearly and will continue to do so. Maybe even less than before the outbreak in a year or so because of the vaccines being made. The vaccines also work on new variants but that doesn’t make a good headline does it.
Dammit, emotional arguments only, you hear me? Ain’t none of that new age fact/figures and/or rationality allowed here! Emotions only!

Justin9mm

It was hotter here where I am in the UK yesterday and I worked a full 8 hour day at home just fine

Remember also, AC is rare in the UK
Yeah I'm Aussie, lived in London for a few years and I can concur your real hot summer days are a killer if you are at home. Catching the tube was soo bad, no AC on there either unless that has changed since I was there.

Here in Aus we generally all have heating and cooling, its pretty standard here. But the cost of gas and electricity is a lot higher than UK, poorer people here don't run it because they can't afford the bils and then on those 40+ degree Celsius days we get older people who just die from the heat.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
AC broke at work one time in the summer and it was unbearable. Boss just let everyone leave.

G-Bus

Banned
What does a summer heat wave have to do with climate change? Not every temperature event not common within the last 3 years is a controversy. Also the title is deceiving.

Uhh, record breaking heat for 3 days straight. Nighttime temperatures with a low of 28° Celsius. We aren't even factoring in humidity here.

Broke heat records from over 70 years ago for 3 days straight, with each day getting hotter than the last. 49.7° was the high in a neighbouring city.

I tend to agree with the whole not everything is climate change but this. Yea this felt like its way, way out of anything close to ordinary.

Last edited:

Sidesalad

I live in Seattle. Life pretty much stopped here for a few days, and 11 deaths were attributed to the heat. Monday was officially the hottest day ever in Washington State. And yes, most people do not have AC. I was literally soaking my clothes in water and putting them on to be somewhat comfortable.

I live in Seattle. Life pretty much stopped here for a few days, and 11 deaths were attributed to the heat. Monday was officially the hottest day ever in Washington State. And yes, most people do not have AC. I was literally soaking my clothes in water and putting them on to be somewhat comfortable.
Hottest day ever recorded? Dang. Pretty crazy we’re considered to be living in an ice age too, ha.

I work in Phoenix, a city which could not exist without AC in every building and home. Last time our AC went out, the house was 95 within a couple days. New AC unit cost $10k. Sounds like Seattle might be getting some installed.

Uhh, record breaking heat for 3 days straight. Nighttime temperatures with a low of 28° Celsius. We aren't even factoring in humidity here.

Broke heat records from over 70 years ago for 3 days straight, with each day getting hotter than the last. 49.7° was the high in a neighbouring city.

I tend to agree with the whole not everything is climate change but this. Yea this felt like its way, way out of anything close to ordinary.
Your post is literally copied and pasted from when people were talking about previous heat or cool unusual weather.

I'm not saying that this isn't unusual but people constantly being this up everywhere there's some uncommon weather pattern multiple times a year. If you keep using the term over and over it dilutes it to the general public, and people concerned about it will have a harder time convincing people.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
The weather here in CA is an abomination and might have killed my air conditioner and is making my laptop overheat as well even without load. It is too hot for them to work.

isoRhythm

Banned
Love people calling developers lazy when their state is literally experiencing the hottest recorded temperatures ever. What is this 'pull yourself by the bootstraps' boomer mindset bullshit? If it's too hot, it's too hot. No wonder developers don't post here anymore. 🤦‍♂️
Agreed, half these comments are really retarded. It's not a competition to see who can handle the highest temperatures.

The devs are complaining about their computers overheating. Working as a dev if my computer kept shutting down because of overheating I wouldn't be able to get shit done.

KiNeMz

Banned
116 degrees F in the Pacific NW. As a sand person myself, that’s hot as balls.

EDIT: To you European lobsterbacks and their imperialized subjects, that’s 47 C.
Thats fucken hot.

Here in Melbourne aus we usually get 3 - 4 heatwaves a year lasting a few days where they are over 40. But shit 47 i dont thing ive experienced. Maybe 45 the most. Even it hitting 40 for people who never experience that would be difficult to deal with.

Last edited:
A lot of idiotic takes, which I've come to expect.

Electronics require cooling. My laptop fans start going crazy if I don't turn on my AC at like 11am. A room fan is just circulating hot air. Aircon is best. Without it, say goodbye to computing.

Also, brains work better when kept comfortable. Coding is logic work. Seeing some responses here, I don't think some will understand how difficult that could be in a hot space.

Lastly, coders have it hard enough, I'm not going to ask them to go to an office when there are still so many people unvaccinated. It's just a few lost days. It's not going to cause a cascade. They can try making it up in crunch, or just add the days on to the target release date.

If you seriously can't respect people who make the games you play, then you can go fuck yourself. These are human beings. I hope someone comes and kicks the mop out of your hands today.

For real, straight dumb dumb replies in this thread. Love the ones with the boomeresque logic: "I had it worse, therefore you should/can have it worse". Like yeah, I'm sure a bunch of software coders wouldn't do too well going straight into construction work in the blistering heat. Likewise, imagine the games that would be made if the uneducated and quite honestly most of the time incompetent construction workers were put in an office and told to code.

Bragging about having to work in shit conditions for extremely low pay while ruining your body in a few years is honestly kind of a beta male thing. Like congrats, you're flexing because you decided not to get an education or self-teach and now get rustled jimmies when somebody literally can't do their job because of the heat.

Thats fucken hot.

Here in Melbourne aus we usually get 3 - 4 heatwaves a year lasting a few days where they are over 40. But shit 47 i dont thing ive experienced. Maybe 45 the most. Even it hitting 40 for people who never experience that would be difficult to deal with.
I’ll take the higher temps if it means I don’t have to wage an endless turf war with Aussie arachnids. They’re fucking nightmare fuel.

Reallink

Nearly $1 million for an average home in Seattle, and they don't have central AC or apparently even window units. Mind boggling. Regardless of how mild the climate usually is, there's no way your homes aren't routinely pushing 80 degrees midday/afternoon July/August under normal conditions. Fuck if I'd pay a million dollars to sweat in an 80 degree house.

Last edited:

BigBooper

Nearly $1 million for an average home in Seattle, and they don't have central AC or apparently even window units. Mind boggling. Regardless of how mild the climate usually is, there's no way your homes aren't routinely pushing 80 degrees midday/afternoon July/August under normal conditions. Fuck if I'd pay a million dollars to sweat in an 80 degree house.
The funny thing about that is, it's like bragging rights usually. They frequently and proudly talk about how they don't have ac units when obviously even during typical years there are weeks/months of high temperatures that would be more comfortable with ac.

Thats fucken hot.

The highest temperature in metro Perth was 42.7 degrees last year. How the hell does Melbourne get to 45?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The funny thing about that is, it's like bragging rights usually. They frequently and proudly talk about how they don't have ac units when obviously even during typical years there are weeks/months of high temperatures that would be more comfortable with ac.
Bragging about not having AC sounds more like they are cheap fucks. I dont think a window AC unit can cost that much to buy and install.

Nice and cozy in my place. Temperature is set to 19-22 C all year. It cools when it gets hot, and heats up when it gets too chilly.

Sometimes at night when it's a bit hot and the AC doesn't turn on because the temperature is straddling that 21-22 C, I turn on my floor fan. Gets so nice and cool and dont even bother using a blanket and enjoy the chill. lol

A couple years ago my AC broke (turns out it was just a bad wire!) and during that day or two I slept in the basement because humid heat here is unsleepable. Was so cool I had to use a thin blanket.

Last edited:

Fare thee well

Neophyte
People of the rest of the country, welcome to the heat hell I've been living in for the past decade. I'd bet you'll see all your forests turn to ash like ours within the decade. Go team humanity.....

But you know, it's all just science propoganda right? Just go back to your twitter feeds, it'll be fine ;)

TonyK

A couple of weeks ago I was speaking about what would be the next fear in media after Covid, because it seems that even with the Delta variant people are not so afraid. And I suggested it probably be climate change. I was joking, but now I don't know what to think.

KiNeMz

Banned
The highest temperature in metro Perth was 42.7 degrees last year. How the hell does Melbourne get to 45?
I actually check the highest temps per year for Melbourne. 2019 actually hit a 46. Which is nuts. You should probably check the same site for Perth. Surely it's been hotter than 42.

G Boaty

Banned

Covid viruses have always been killing people yearly and will continue to do so.
At a rate of hundreds per year, not per day. That's without even getting into how Covid 19 is more contagious than general influenza and previous coronaviruses.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member

Lmfao, I’m on the tools in that kind of heat outside yet people can’t type away on a computer indoors?

The biggest issue is I can’t believe developers are using only laptops from home with such poor thermals and don’t have a dedicated desktop.

Kev Kev

every single one of those people need to start looking for window AC units. i imagine it may be a bit ore difficult due to demand or lack of components or something, but after this weekend if they dont do something its going to be on them. my ass would never have settled down somewhere without making sure i got something to keep me cool on hot summer days. i feel lie its just really dumb of them to say "meh ill deal with 80 and 90 degree days bc they are rare". fuck that, as soon as that bitch is touching 82 im mounting that window unit.

also, its worth saying again that its not just homes, but business too that dont have AC. i learned this earlier in the topic and i dont think people from the south understand that its hot as balls everywhere, no one has AC, or window units because... theyre dumb (im sorry but thats really dumb to not have a back up plan! but i guess you just dont realize how suffocating the heat can be... welp, now you know, live and learn lol), and you cant get away from it. that sucks.

but stop sleepin on window units ya big idiots. start looking for one now. cant believe some of yall didnt have one just in case.

JCK75

I bet people who do manual labor outdoors are still working, Devs who get to work indoors should have AC, if not $200 will get you one on Amazon and problem solved... sort your own shit out.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member

After Texas was relentlessly mocked for all the issues we faced when it was 10 degrees and snowing back in February, forgive me but.....suck it up buttercup. I was without power and water for almost 10 days.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

For real, straight dumb dumb replies in this thread. Love the ones with the boomeresque logic: "I had it worse, therefore you should/can have it worse". Like yeah, I'm sure a bunch of software coders wouldn't do too well going straight into construction work in the blistering heat. Likewise, imagine the games that would be made if the uneducated and quite honestly most of the time incompetent construction workers were put in an office and told to code.

Bragging about having to work in shit conditions for extremely low pay while ruining your body in a few years is honestly kind of a beta male thing. Like congrats, you're flexing because you decided not to get an education or self-teach and now get rustled jimmies when somebody literally can't do their job because of the heat.
Won’t someone think of the software engineers who are to stupid to buy a portable AC, or go to a work office

Working while it is hot is something millions of people do all the time. suck it up

Top Bottom