• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie Devs - 'It's TOO Hot. I cant work!'

Are some of these devs acting like babies? Yes. Is it true no one in the PNW has AC? Yes. Even then it is kinda weird that their office doesn't have AC though - unless everyone is still working from home, which I assume could be the case.

Is it still hot as shit? Nah, it's 68 in Seattle today. Crisis averted, people got a couple days off and other people got to make a big deal about it. Thank god for games journalism

Having said that, it does suck ass to be in conditions significantly different than what you're used to, so I do feel for them

Last edited:

HAL-01

Why are you people talking about climate change? because of the joke that Jason made? what is going on here.
Some people just gotta prove they’re the smarterest by spouting their cool contrarian opinions every chance they get

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
UPDATE FROM A BUNGIE DEV: (on era)

Lotta hot takes flying in this thread…pun intended. 😝

As some have guessed already, it was a combination of things:
- Bungie is working remotely, so most are at home.
- Apartments and houses don’t have AC by default, as the area tends to be mild for the summer.
- We got (literally) record-breaking heat multiple days in a row. 105-110 depending on you live.
- The buildings where we house services were getting very hot, and the HVAC was struggling to keep up due to the unprecedented heat wave.

The choice was either shut down internal services or lose equipment. I think they made a good call.

I’ve never felt heat like this in Seattle, and I’ve been here 15 years. So happy it’s 80f now. 🥵

Damn, I missed that one in my treatise:

Why would you even link to that?

Episode 2 GIF by Star Wars

Kev Kev

There are still hundreds of deaths a day from Covid in the US, the pandemic isn't over.

Many in the UK are still working remotely. In fact a few companies are offering choices.
And the pandemic is in no way over. ;)

lol, my dudes, if everyone is vaccinated, what is the logic for working remote in a heatwave that is frying your equipment? and i thought we were talking about the pacific north west in america, is UK experiencing the same heatwave? is there not a building or place of work those people can go?

Handy Fake

lol, my dudes, if everyone is vaccinated, what is the logic for working remote in a heatwave that is frying your equipment? and i thought we were talking about the pacific north west in america, is UK experiencing the same heatwave? is there not a building or place of work those people can go?
Vaccinations don't stop you getting it, just lessen the effects.

infections are on the rise again here. Also the US hasn't got everyone vaccinated anyway, neither has the UK.

Last edited:

iQuasarLV

He’s just a manchild trying to act like big tough guy that could totally work in the scorching heat with no problems
Well, it is soon July and August. You are welcome to drive to Las Vegas and show me up in the 110+ weather. I'll just be inside enjoying the AC.

Kev Kev

Vaccinations don't stop you getting it, just lessen the effects.
lol oh come on man. the chances of dying from covid after being vaxxed is negligible. that is not a valid arguent. hell, this heatwave (if its really THIS bad) is probably more likely to kill them than covid if theyve been vaxxed

open up a building and bring everyone back into the office. if they arent vaccinated then sure fine they cant come in. but im willing to bet almost all of them are. they are shooting themselves in the foot here and its seems unnecessary.

maybe there is info i dont have but covid isnt a concern if they are all vaccinated.

Last edited:

G Boaty

Banned
Being vaccinated doesn't guarantee 100% that you won't get sick. Even if it did, it doesn't stop you from still catching and spreading the virus, to people who haven't yet or can't be vaccinated.

Besides working from home has been a thing in the tech industry especially for years. It's not like it didn't happen before Covid. People worked remotely before and will continue to do so after Covid.

Kev Kev

Being vaccinated doesn't guarantee 100% that you won't get sick. Even if it did, it doesn't stop you from still catching and spreading the virus, to people who haven't yet or can't be vaccinated.

Besides working from home has been a thing in the tech industry especially for years. It's not like it didn't happen before Covid. People worked remotely before and will continue to do so after Covid.
im just going to ignore the weird covid paranoia stuff. we have a vaccine. its over. just stop.

but the second part is kind of what im asking about. do they not have a buildig or place of work they can go to? why dont they just open up to anyone who can prove they are vaxxed like every other company on the face of the earth?

Last edited:
im just going to ignore the weird covid paranoia stuff. we have a vaccine. its over. just stop.

but the second part is kind of what im asking about. do they not have a buildig or place of work they can go to? why dont they just open up to anyone who can prove they are vaxxed like every other company on the face of the earth?
Their ac is not designed around the temps it was at since they are not common.

G Boaty

Banned

Again, there are hundreds of people in the US alone still dying each day. It's not paranoia, the pandemic isn't over. If it was over there wouldn't still be an increasing death toll. You're ignoring that there are people who literally cannot be vaccinated, but can still catch Covid from people who are vaccinated.

"Like every other company on earth"? I don't know where you're from but pretty much everyone I know is still working remotely if their job permits it. Those that do have to go into the office/workplace still have to wear masks.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
The graph was brought up by someone trying to deny that climate change is man made

In reality, his own source (the Smithsonian Institution) fully backs the consensus that it IS man made, and has loads of publicly available evidence to educate people on it.

It’s a classic case of “some dude picking and choosing only the stuff they want to agree with”

In which case that user is correct, climate change isn't man made. Climate change has always existed on this planet, it existed long before we were around as a species.

But what can't be disputed is the fact that we can and do influence the rate at which it accelerates.

I wasn't dismissing the data provided by the user I quoted, I was simply stating that the recorded climate shifts are estimations and because humans didn't exist millions of years ago, we didn't have the capacity to record climate trends over the specific periods of time when humans were nonexistent. We can record climate trends now and have been observing them.

Estimations regarding the past are no less scientifically sound than estimations regarding the future.

Cool. Now come down here to Louisiana while actually working in the sun. Be grateful you get a day off for this.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Their ac is not designed around the temps it was at since they are not common.
the building they would go to work doesnt have ac that works well enough to keep the temp at a reasonable, comfortable level? how do you know this? and also..... the fuck why? who would design an ac system that cant do its job?

Again, there are hundreds of people in the US alone still dying each day. It's not paranoia, the pandemic isn't over. If it was over there wouldn't still be an increasing death toll. You're ignoring that there are people who literally cannot be vaccinated, but can still catch Covid from people who are vaccinated.

"Like every other company on earth"? I don't know where you're from but pretty much everyone I know is still working remotely if their job permits it.
hundreds of deaths a day because covid is sad, but we have way more deaths to a plethora of other things around the world, always have. so why didnt we lockdown for all of the other risks associated with living everyday human lives? the answer is because that is insane and no one wants to live in fear like that. youre being overly paranoid ridiculous with saying a couple hundred deaths out of hudreds of millions is cause for everyone to stay on lockdown.

the covid thing isnt even an argument at this point. they just need to open up the doors and bring people back in. i cant imagine the ac system at whatever buldings they own cant handle. lol like, seriously? they have a building that cant keep the place cooled? that doesnt make sense

Last edited:

LectureMaster

Gold Member
As aforementioned, I do believe climate change does naturally occur and with the estimations and data provided by various scientists, we know that the planet wouldn't have developed as it did without the optimal atmospheric conditions. The data we do have access to currently can at least allow us to draw appropriate inferences relative to the highly probable correlation between increased human activities and accelerated climate change using the patterns of association that can be observed.

wIRsZmP.png

J9KgXQA.png

The increase in global atmospheric carbon dioxide concentrations and other greenhouse gases will lead to a further increase in climate change or global warming, which will have a multitude of consequences on our environment and also our health. Smog will appear more often throughout densely populated areas or regions of the world and the pollutants of the smog will be trapped under sinking hot air (Especially in places like LA due to the cooler surface-level air, so the pollutants will not disperse into the higher levels of the atmosphere. Think of it as a sort of temperature inversion caused by an anticyclone. A case like this did appear in London in 1952). Due to the decrease in air quality, pulmonary-related diseases or disorders will become more common, headaches and migraines will become more frequent, and we will probably see a large increase in cases of conditions similar to cerebrovascular ischemia. Air pollution may also lead to the increase in cases of systemic inflammation, neuroinflammation, and oxidative stress. Another important consequence to consider is agricultural detriments. Increased greenhouse gas emissions will lead to more frequent acidic rain resulting from increased levels of sulphur dioxide and nitrogen oxide.

I wasn't dismissing the data provided by the user I quoted, I was simply stating that the recorded climate shifts are estimations and because humans didn't exist millions of years ago, we didn't have the capacity to record climate trends over the specific periods of time when humans were nonexistent. We can record climate trends now and have been observing them.
Yeah, there is really nothing I have against on your reference. The graph I referred earlier was to prove last decade was not "unprecedented" and a long term monitoring is needed. So is CO2 level. I am in support of robust actions on mitigate the current situation too. I just don't agree with panicking without properly interpreting the data.

G Boaty

Banned
Re-reading some of the posts in here, it's such a strange thread.

Bungie: Our employees were really hot and some of their equipment was failing so we let them finish up early for the day
NeoGAF posters: Stop bitching about the heat you pussies, come down to where I live and feel REAL heat. Be grateful you don't work in a coal mine you pussies

Just such bizarre reactions.

G Boaty

Banned
hundreds of deaths a day because covid is sad, but we have way more deaths to a plethora of other things around the world, always have. so why didnt we lockdown for all of the other risks associated with living everyday human lives? the answer is because that is insane and no one wants to live in fear like that. youre being overly paranoid ridiculous with saying a couple hundred deaths out of hudreds of millions is cause for everyone to stay on lockdown.

the covid thing isnt even an argument at this point. they just need to open up the doors and bring people back in. i cant imagine the ac system at whatever buldings they own cant handle. lol like, seriously? they have a building that cant keep the place cooled? that doesnt make sense

I legit don't even know what your point is here. Me saying "There are hundreds of deaths a day" isn't being paranoid, it's being completely factual. Lockdowns are put in place to prevent hospitals from being overrun with millions of cases at once, it flattens the curve and slows the spread. This is basic stuff my dude. You don't get to decide that "covid isnt even an argument" any more. If an employer wants to let their staff continue to work remotely that's entirely up to them. I have absolutely no idea why it bothers you so much that a video game developer let their staff finish early one day.

oagboghi2

Re-reading some of the posts in here, it's such a strange thread.

Bungie: Our employees were really hot and some of their equipment was failing so we let them finish up early for the day
NeoGAF posters: Stop bitching about the heat you pussies, come down to where I live and feel REAL heat. Be grateful you don't work in a coal mine you pussies

Just such bizarre reactions.
you mean honest and real. You people are acting as if no one has ever worked when it's hot outside before.

And of course the usual suspects use this to push their CC paranoia.

Last edited:
the building they would go to work doesnt have ac that works well enough to keep the temp at a reasonable, comfortable level? how do you know this? and also..... the fuck why? who would design an ac system that cant do its job?

Because you don't buy and install an AC for temperatures higher then ever recorded where you live. I have no idea how this concept is so confusing to some of you. Would you buy a furnace good to heat your house down to -50 if your winter temps are -25 at the coldest? The price differences are huge.

I follow a mountain biker on IG who lives in England. He said it was hot today on his ride, 20c, and he did what he said was a big climb, 900-1000 ft.

This is a standard "beginner" climb in my area, and I would consider that cool or perfect temperature; that's 68F.

He is a great mountain biker, and runs a business surrounding it, but it's something that is out of his normal element.

HAL-01

The daily deaths are *relatively* low BECAUSE people are still taking proper measures, dummy

Kev Kev

angry robert downey jr GIF

no, YOU are the only who said those words. stop making shit up.

also, you are a neogaf poster yourself, no? or do you only drop by here once and a while to try and dunk on people in hot topic threads (lol pun intended) like this one? seeing as how a third of your posts have been ITT, im going to guess the latter

im done with you

not sure why bungie is even making their employess keep working from home. i understand working remote was a thing before covid, and there may be some people who arent vaccinated, and yet more people who arent comfrotable with going in. but working in a heatwave without ac isnt going to work. they need to just open the doors back up for anyone who is vaccinated and willing to come on. that way they dont have to stop production, they dont lose time or money, and this story never happens.

Because you don't buy and install an AC for temperatures higher then ever recorded where you live. I have no idea how this concept is so confusing to some of you. Would you buy a furnace good to heat your house down to -50 if your winter temps are -25 at the coldest? The price differences are huge.
we are talking about the building/studio now, not their actual houses. they should open the studio back up to vaxxed people and let them get back to work. it doenst make any sense not to.

The daily deaths are *relatively* low BECAUSE people are still taking proper measures, dummy
no. the deaths have plummeted bc of the vaccine, which most, if not all of those associate have access to and should have gotten already

G Boaty

Banned

Do you want me to quote the actual posts in this thread calling them pussies, telling them to stop bitching, telling them to be grateful that they don't work in a coal mine and challenging them to work/live somewhere hotter? I didn't make a single one of those up, those are all actual things people have said/done in this thread.

Kev Kev

Do you want me to quote the actual posts in this thread calling them pussies, telling them to stop bitching, telling them to be grateful that they don't work in a coal mine and challenging them to work/live somewhere hotter? I didn't make a single one of those up, those are all actual things people have said/done in this thread.
yes

oagboghi2

Price? you can buy a portable AC for 300 dollars. Bungie developers can't afford that
Do you not buy a first aid kit even though it's unlikely you will need it? Do you not put a spare tire in your trunk even though 99% of times you drive you don't get a flat tire?

HAL-01

no. the deaths have plummeted bc of the vaccine, which most, if not all of those associate have access to and should have gotten already
I don’t know why you keep repeating this “most people should already have the vaccine” thing. You can look it up. Less than half of people in the us have it

Last edited:

also, you are a neogaf poster yourself, no? or do you only drop by here once and a while to try and dunk on people in hot topic threads (lol pun intended) like this one? seeing as how a third of your posts have been ITT, im going to guess the latter

im done with you

not sure why bungie is even making their employess keep working from home. i understand working remote was a thing before covid, and there may be some people who arent vaccinated, and yet more people who arent comfrotable with going in. but working in a heatwave without ac isnt going to work. they need to just open the doors back up for anyone who is vaccinated and willing to come on. that way they dont have to stop production, they dont lose time or money, and this story never happens.

we are talking about the building/studio now, not their actual houses. they should open the studio back up to vaxxed people and let them get back to work. it doenst make any sense not to.

Their office building AC and heating are both to spec for average conditions in the area. You don't spend 3x the amount on AC that in the entire history of your existence you didn't need.

Handy Fake

Price? you can buy a portable AC for 300 dollars. Bungie developers can't afford that
Do you not buy a first aid kit even though it's unlikely you will need it? Do you not put a spare tire in your trunk even though 99% of times you drive you don't get a flat tire?
Do you take a parachute with you on an aeroplane?
How about a handy crane in case you need to get out of a burning building?

Meh, I'm out.
There's a distinct lack of common bloody sense in this thread.

Corndog

Banned
Not all American homes even have potable water.

Also this hot take is a stupid one, the take-away from Bungie's heat problems could be a discussion about companies shifting resources to better accommodating work-from-home employees instead of "shut up and obey your capitalist overlords, drones".
Only if you live in the sticks. When I was a kid we had just moved and were looking for a house. We stayed in someone’s cabin without running water. We just filled up a milk can from someone’s house and used that.

Kev Kev

I don’t know why you keep repeating this “most people should already have the vaccine” thing. You can look it up. Less than half of people in the us have it
were talking about bungie here, not the whole country. stop extrapolating.

as for bungie (the only people we are talking about ITT), they should let all vaxxed people come into the studio and continue working. it doesnt make sense to not do that.

Their office building AC and heating are both to spec for average conditions in the area. You don't spend 3x the amount on AC that in the entire history of your existence you didn't need.
ok that would make sense. but how do you know this to be true? i mean, they actually designed a building that only only barely tolerate average temps? a few degrees more and they all the sudden cant handle it anymore? it just doesnt make snese. but if there is proof that this is the case, then i get it. which is the quesiton i was asking to begin with before covid paranoia posts started raining down on me lol

NewChoppa

Banned
It was hotter here where I am in the UK yesterday and I worked a full 8 hour day at home just fine

Remember also, AC is rare in the UK
The temperature in the UK literally has never reached 40°C, but sure, okay dude.

FU bungie…I never complain about heat in Afghanistan. Bunch of pussy

Yeah, because you’re used to that temperature and climate? These people are in the middle of a heatwave in a climate that pretty much never has temperatures this high (meaning AC in houses is rare), to the point where people are literally dying - I think they have reason to complain about not being able to work.

Last edited:

G Boaty

Banned

Bunch of pussies, i do physical work in a warehouse without any air conditioner for 8 hours a day without crying like a little bitch and we are having 40 to 47° celsius here in sicily, the hottest summer of the last 10+ years.

My condo is literally full choke of dying swift everywhere because of the hot, it looks like some egyptian plague where dead animals falls from the sky...

I'm really amazed by this, really. I remember the house we rented in Virginia 2 decades ago had dual system: cooling and heating. I'm not sure how are these people are bitching about such a stupid, old issue before AC's were a thing. We sometimes shut down AC's even in hot weather, although here in Salalah it never exceeds 33-35C, because it gets too cold or push the AC to something like 25-28C.

I forgot. We in the civilized worlds' we have an invention called the A/C. Did my shit overheat when Las Vegas hit 116? Did I get to go home for the day when Las Vegas hit 116?

They're acting like babies because, 'Its too hot." Grow up. Shutting down a business tells me they are running their offices on the cheap, cutting corners, that they cannot keep their shit running. If a few remote employee's computers overheating cause them to shutter their doors for a day... Jesus H Christ.

man, they've got it rough...life is super hard nowadays, I mean look at these lazy bastards--

9OhYV5K.jpg

Just a few examples, but enough to show that no, it's not something I was making up.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Do you take a parachute with you on an aeroplane?
How about a handy crane in case you need to get out of a burning building?

Meh, I'm out.
There's a distinct lack of common bloody sense in this thread.
Summer is hot. Their own office is air conditioned due to this, why would one not apply the same measures WFH?

Seems that would be common sense, no? Regardless of 88 degrees or 103 degrees. Both require AC for comfort, just as their office has it for comfort.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Just a few examples, but enough to show that no, it's not something I was making up.
lol ok thats a start

but thats only 4. there are hundreds of posts itt. so what you are doing here is taking the words of a few and projecting them onto the many... or, ya know, stereo typing or being prejudice

ill wait for you to post more. you say "NeoGAF posters" as if its the majority of us saying these things, and you also say it as if youre not one of us

Oh sorry I didn’t know there were 200 people at bungie dying daily, my bad
Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

youre not making sense

botoom line: the vaccine is effective and if everyone is vaxxed they should be allowed to come back. there is no arguing with that. the pandemic is over, stop with this toxic paranoia.

Top Bottom