• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie apologises for unintentionally including Nazi slogan in Destiny 2

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Bungie has issued an apology to fans, after it was discovered one of Destiny 2's latest weekly challenges shared its name with an infamous Nazi slogan.

As reported by Kotaku, a Season of the Chosen weekly challenge raised eyebrows in the game's community. The latest season focuses on the warlike Cabal, meaning there's plenty of stoic, warrior language surrounding the game's challenges and events—though some fans felt one example skewed disconcertingly close to real-world fascism.

Complete eight war table bounties, and Destiny 2 will reward you with an powerful engram for completing the challenge "Blood And Honour"—a title that also happens to be the English translation of one of the slogans used by Nazi Germany's Hitler Youth, "Blut und Ehre".

While this was very likely a case of a developer simply missing the connotation, its placement alongside an event named "Battlegrounds: Cleansing"—in which you loot chests using Cabal Gold—only raised further alarm bells for some players. Bungie has since apologised in a statement to Kotaku, pledging to remove the terminology in an update.

"Any connection to anti-Semitism in Destiny is completely unintentional. Bungie is emphatically committed to inclusion and human rights, and will never stand for anti-Semitism. We are already preparing fixes in an upcoming patch. We apologize to all of our players that were hurt by the references, and we are grateful to our community for bringing their concerns to our attention."

q5g1c5liflod19nrvv38.jpg

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Apologies aren't enough. Fire all the staff and cancel Bungie, cancel them now! This is racist and sexist and homophobic and transphobic and erm, phobicphobic, etc, etc....

captureno1.png
We need public executions of those behind it, and even that is not enough.

A company could make a game completely devoid of any recognizable imagery and some dipshit bleeding heart would still manage to find something that may potentially resemble something that may have been offensive to someone.

The problem is people give these losers attention which makes them feel vindicated in their quest to ruin everyone else's day.

Last edited:

Gandih42

Blood and Honor is such a generic statement, it seems a bit silly to me that this would make people think of a nazi slogan. Although in the context of the event name, it's almost seems like an inappropriate joke.

I would still say that I feel like whomever is reacting to this is reading a little too much into it but either way, very non news.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I imagine 5-10 years from now you'll be forbidden from saying "You're fired" because Trump used to say that.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
All those politics and dramas are getting so tiresome, Can devs just go back on making games and players go back on playing games.
You would have to un-create the internet, forums, and social media or stop using them entirely. I certainly would not have known about this issue nor change without all 3.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I will be honest, before clicking this thread I thought it would be a variation on ‘Arbeit macht frei’. I can see how ‘Blood and Honour’ can be an honest mistake, since even when learning about history in Eastern Europe I never heard about this slogan.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
fuck those nazi bastards!

they better call their next game..

Destiny the third reich.

brb going to twitter to cry

Last edited:
If it was in GERMAN, as spoken by the man himself id get it. But now we are banning english translation that maybe didn't even have the original context.

MiguelItUp

How did people even notice this? Are they experts in Nazi slogans or what?
Exactly! Wonderful point.

Every time something like this happens I ask myself that exact question. Because, I'd like to think I'm very familiar with what is "offensive", or even potentially so, and not. I mean, I was a community manager for a number of years. Gotta have some kind of grasp on it.

A lot of the stuff like this just makes me go, "Huh? Really? Wtf?" Especially when at 36 years old, I've never even heard of or known about these things, lol. Guess I'm blissfully ignorant? Thank god. Sometimes I feel bad for these people that can't stop being offended at spilt milk or things that just don't exist.

lE06cTr.gif

Spoiler: Kotaku/Polygon complain about nothing because their lives are so luxuriant, they're angry that they have nothing more important to complain about. Something something victimhood, <insert> imagined racism/sexism.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Sorry.

But where?

Edit - Ohhhh it is the title... I was trying to find the swastika.

Last edited:
Top Bottom