• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Build Engine FPS Ion Maiden goes to consoles, trailer (3D Realms/Voidpoint), 1C publishing

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
YAAASSSSSSS.

Blurb:
Ahem, sorry. Ion Maiden is a classical FPS with Shelly Bombshell Harrison running on an enhanced Build Engine. Developed by Voidpoint and 3D Realms, it brings the 90s shooter better back than most other games.

The game is now announced as coming to PC/PS4/XBO and Switch in Q2 2019, published by 1C Entertainment. Trailer below:

2002261147.jpeg

Context: Digital Foundry covered this game and D dark10x is ought to celebrate this with joy. You find the coverage below.

PS: According to Gematsu, 1C Entertainment and 3D Realms announced they will also collaborate on an unannounced first-person shooter based on the original Quake engine coming to all the same platforms as Ion Maiden.

Last edited:

Akuza89

Anybody got 2 tickets to....

wait. sorry oh... ION maiden... sorry.

anyway, this gives me a whiff of a duke nukem game.... I like the looks of it. added to my watchlist of games!

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Anybody got 2 tickets to....

wait. sorry oh... ION maiden... sorry.

anyway, this gives me a whiff of a duke nukem game.... I like the looks of it. added to my watchlist of games!
How often i have heard that reference everywhere! :p

I would have assumed more people dig this: 3D Realms, Duke 3D Tech, Badass chick, Endless bombing... what's not to love?

120v

of what i played so far... thought it was just okay, relative to the recent slew of retro revival FPSs. didn't think it was quite worth the $20 yet so i refunded and decided to check back in when it was finished

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'm in. This looks closer to what I wanted Strafe to be (a decent game in its own way). The gun animations, gibs, and terrible smoke effects are pure nostalgia.

Darak

I really enjoyed the early access demo. It looks and plays like a proper Duke Nukem 3D spin-off that could have been released back in the day alongside the likes of Blood or Shadow Warrior. The trademark bomb weapon was fun, and some of the secrets were pretty cool. As an early access games it was somewhat disappointing because it only contains a few levels and never got any updates (despite some glaring bugs and performance issues). I'm looking forward to the final game.

I did not know about this game until I saw this thread. It's very good in my opinion. Worth buying to get a taste and then wait for the rest of the game to come. It's hard to believe these days with so many projects imitating older games, but these guys know what they're doing. It looks beautiful and feels smooth to play.

The only error I noticed was the game deleted all my medkits when I continued from an autosave/checkpoint before the end boss at the end of the preview. Make sure to use your own saves only.

I'm a little annoyed that I missed out on the collectors copy, would've been nice to have.

Thanks for sharing.

Redneckerz

I did not know about this game until I saw this thread. It's very good in my opinion. Worth buying to get a taste and then wait for the rest of the game to come. It's hard to believe these days with so many projects imitating older games, but these guys know what they're doing. It looks beautiful and feels smooth to play.

The only error I noticed was the game deleted all my medkits when I continued from an autosave/checkpoint before the end boss at the end of the preview. Make sure to use your own saves only.

I'm a little annoyed that I missed out on the collectors copy, would've been nice to have.

Thanks for sharing.
No problem, can you not order the collectors edition anymore?

of what i played so far... thought it was just okay, relative to the recent slew of retro revival FPSs. didn't think it was quite worth the $20 yet so i refunded and decided to check back in when it was finished
Why was it not worth the 20? A common criticism (and one TerminX and consorts are addressing) is how the enemies look very samey and i have to agree on that.

Other than that, GAF should be screaming on the top of their lungs for this game. This is retro done the right way by a group of folks who have also been behind The AMC TC, one i should cover soonish. :)

120v

No problem, can you not order the collectors edition anymore?

Why was it not worth the 20? A common criticism (and one TerminX and consorts are addressing) is how the enemies look very samey and i have to agree on that.

Other than that, GAF should be screaming on the top of their lungs for this game. This is retro done the right way by a group of folks who have also been behind The AMC TC, one i should cover soonish. :)

not saying it isn't worth it, just whenever it launched in early access i walked away kind of meh in light of Dusk, Amid Evil, ect. stingy on my part but i wasn't sure i wanted to "invest" in it yet

i'm glad (really glad) these games exist in 2018 but brass tacks there's competition, Project Warlock is a recent one that's really, really good

Redneckerz

not saying it isn't worth it, just whenever it launched in early access i walked away kind of meh in light of Dusk, Amid Evil, ect. stingy on my part but i wasn't sure i wanted to "invest" in it yet

i'm glad (really glad) these games exist in 2018 but brass tacks there's competition, Project Warlock is a recent one that's really, really good
Or Apocryph, or Prodeus. There is so much unknown stuff out there. Maybe a sticky one day here will help everyone out. ;)

Top Bottom