• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bruce Willis films – ranked!

20. Surrogates (2009)

19. The Sixth Sense (1999)

18. Unbreakable (2000)

17. The Siege (1998)

16. The Last Boy Scout (1991)

15. Looper (2012)

14. Billy Bathgate (1991)

13. Mortal Thoughts (1991)

12. Fast Food Nation (2006)

11. Die Hard With a Vengeance (1995)

10. The Player (1992)/What Just Happened? (2008)

9. 16 Blocks (2006)

8. Last Man Standing (1996)

7. Bandits (2001)

6. In Country (1989)

5. Pulp Fiction (1994)

4. 12 Monkeys (1995)

3. Nobody’s Fool (1994)

2. The Fifth Element (1997)

1. Die Hard (1988)

Last edited:
U can pretty much stop watching his movies past 1999…although 16 blocks was pretty good it’s clear he’s reached Nic cage levels of not giving a shit what role he takes

He’s also a bit of a prick in real life also…I know first hand as we had to deal with him for some advertising stuff in my company and the way he spoke to people was atrocious

I get that he needs money but why the fuck does he keep accepting roles in obviously shitty movies..when his name still has some weight in Hollywood surely and Im sure theres some good stuff out there on his table. If Nic Cage can do it, so can Bruce.

bitbydeath

No Hudson Hawk?

9O04yDW.gif

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I'd change the top five. In my personal opinion, the top five would be.

5: The Fifth Element.
4: 12 Monkeys
3: Unbreakable
2: Die Hard
1: Pulp Fiction

My mine gripe with that list is that Unbreakable is so low. Bruce Willis nails that role and it's probably one of his best performances.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
He was such a huge star and frankly one of my favourites, fuck Fifth Element, Die Hard and Pulp Fiction are amongst my most regularly watched movies and some of the best flicks made but he's just hit a stage in life where he gives zero fucks and turns up for a paycheck to either cover taxes owed or buy another Rembrandt... Who the fuck knows, Nic Cage accepted all roles cause he was broke af but at least he doesn't dial it in, BW is a complete shadow of his former self and why anyone thinks having his name attached to a movie means anything in this day in age is beyond me which leads me think the whole thing is either one massive tax dodge or some money laundering scam

MastaKiiLA

My mine gripe with that list is that Unbreakable is so low. Bruce Willis nails that role and it's probably one of his best performances.
This is probably how I'd rank the Top 5 too, but I wasn't sure if the ranking was supposed to be on overall quality of movie, or instead the quality of Bruce Willis in the movies. The rankings can vary a lot. Die Hard With A Vengeance Bruce Willis might well have been peak Bruce IMO.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

I'd swap 1 and 2, but otherwise my top five as well. The range he showed in 12 Monkeys I think is often overlooked, especially given his body of work up until that point.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
No love for Die Hard 2? Sure it reused the premise, but it wasn't that bad. The villains were entertaining and McClane saying the famous line as he was about to blow up the plane was badass.

I am a bit torn on Die Hard 2. Yes, it's a great film and Willis was awesome in it. But it's kind of the quintessential Hollywood sequel - in that nothing really changed about the protag, he's the same guy, same lot in life, same motivations, all that, just dropped into a new locale.

I get that's the entire idea behind the franchise but it's difficult to ignore. If that makes sense.

I am a bit torn on Die Hard 2. Yes, it's a great film and Willis was awesome in it. But it's kind of the quintessential Hollywood sequel - in that nothing really changed about the protag, he's the same guy, same lot in life, same motivations, all that, just dropped into a new locale.

I get that's the entire idea behind the franchise but it's difficult to ignore. If that makes sense.

This issue did not exist back then, or at least not as it is now in modern Hollywood. You are just tired but I doubt when you were younger back when Die Hard 2 came or Home Alone 2 or whatever else, you'd be like "omg yeah another one of those movies?", no, you';d say, fukcing awesome! Nowadays, its the opposite.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
This issue did not exist back then, or at least not as it is now in modern Hollywood. You are just tired but I doubt when you were younger back when Die Hard 2 came or Home Alone 2 or whatever else, you'd be like "omg yeah another one of those movies?", no, you';d say, fukcing awesome! Nowadays, its the opposite.

Fair enough

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member

I came to post this. Unbreakable is underrated and amazing. One of the best "comic book/super hero" movies of all time.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I dont care what anyone says, Hudson Hawk is an awesome movie. Sandra Bernhard at her best with her usual snarly wit.

It's interesting. The story is nonsense and the plot is dumb, but it's a pretty fun movie. It doesn't deserve the hate, but it also doesn't not deserve the hate.

carlosrox

Banned
I feel like I'm the only person that has actively hated 12 Monkeys for the last 25 years.

Well I don't hate it but I don't think the movie is really as good as some of the ideas in it.

"Maybe the human race deserves to be wiped out" is one of my favorite lines ever though.

ShadowNate

I remember having fun with Hudson Hawk back when I first watched. Probably when re-watched it again years ago.

But I tried a couple of months back, and I couldn't go through with it. Maybe it's still great for someone experiencing it for the first time though.

Also, I quite liked BW in the first seasons of Moonlighting, as cheesy and simple as they were. Still do actually (re-watched a few episodes last year).

Vagswarm

The Last Boy Scout with Daman Wayans was a great movie. Used to watch it all the time on HBO.

Live Free or Die Hard was pretty awesome. Why is it not on the list? I also enjoyed The Whole Nine Yards and his role in Armageddon.

He does a great job when there's a polar opposite sidekick and he's the alpha.

carlosrox

Banned
1. Death Becomes Her

This will always be my favorite Bruce Willis movie and role.

I used to be obsessed with this movie as a kid. I watched it tons.

I haven't so much as ever seen it on DVD though. Does it only exist on VHS or some shit?

carlosrox

Banned
seems like its streaming on amazon prime

Maybe it's different in Canada. I checked AP just the other day and didn't notice it there.

Coulda missed it, I'll have to take a look, thanks.

Haven't seen it for a number of years but I'm not missing it too much since I'm so familiar with it.

"Could you just not breathe?" Such a great movie. Excellent pacing. The movie always feels so short to me but in a good way. Like the movie feels short, but also just right.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Maybe it's different in Canada. I checked AP just the other day and didn't notice it there.

Coulda missed it, I'll have to take a look, thanks.

Haven't seen it for a number of years but I'm not missing it too much since I'm so familiar with it.

"Could you just not breathe?" Such a great movie. Excellent pacing. The movie always feels so short to me but in a good way. Like the movie feels short, but also just right.

You will have to go old school :D

EBAY

Thanks for the reminder, I used to love this movie I havent seen it in decades.

carlosrox

Banned
I thought him and Arnold riffing on eachother in Expendables 2 was pretty damn funny.

Really cool to see them together.

Van Damme was great in it too.

Last edited:

Dark Star

Die Hard is GOAT

After that I liked the pulp fiction, sixth sense, looper, hostage, sin city, 12 monkeys.

Last edited:
My favorites

11. Unbreakable
10. 12 Monkeys
9. Live Free Or Die Hard
8. The Expendables 2
7. The Jackal
6. The Sixth Sense
5. Die Hard
4. Die Hard With a Vengeance
3. Sin City
2. The Fifth Element
1. Looper

Hardensoul

The Sixth Sense should be top 5 or lowest top 10. I saw this going in blind and was mesmerized and shocked by the end. Seeing the list, damn I saw and liked practically 90% of his movies.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
With a vengeance has always been my personal favourites. Gives me that perfect 90s action nostalgia. Has bombs, gunfights, car chases etc. Just enjoyable to me for some reason

Top Bottom