• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bruce Straley agrees that Ghost of Tsushima should be GOTY instead of TLoUII.

wachie

I finished TLOU2 last week and half way through GHOST as of now. I can easily say I completely disagree with this notion.

People are hating on TLOU2 because of Joel's death, plain and simple. You don't need to fire up your credentials of not being a "women hater".

Raonak

Banned
If it isn't clear to you by now then let me point it out for you. People aren't hating on TLOU. They were just disappointed by the direction the series ended up going. If they hated it, they would say nothing. If anything, they are just expressing what they ended up hating based on the direction the series ended up going in. Let's not confuse things.
If it isn't clear to you, being dissappointed and hating are different things. People are dissappointed by things every day. You play a dissapointing game, or watch a dissapointing movie, you sigh, then move on, never to remember it again.

Hating it is having the game constantly regurgitating in your mind and making pointless threads months down the line.

OP is clearly a psychotic hater. He can't move on. He is Ellie. He's stuck in a cycle of hatred. Neil Druckmann has mindfucked him for the rest of his days.

Last edited:

Aenima

Played both games and enjoyed Ghost of Tsushima way more, mainly because TLOU2 story ruined the game for me, as someone that loved the characters and chemistry between the main characters in the 1st game, was depressing to see all that destroyed in the sequel.

GoT was my personal GOTY, but the production values of TLOU2 was insane, and i could see how TLOU2 had better chances to get much more GOTY awards than GoT.

TimFL

Damn, can't even imagine what you would say by stumbling upon Ubisoft titles, or Eidos, or Square Enix or Bethesda. Stay miles aways from those.
Jokes on you, I don‘t fall for the obvious baitgames they throw out.

People mostly hate on TLOU2 because of you-know-who’s death. Gamers need to get over it and finally move on from this game if it bothers them that bad. Yes, I really like GOT as well, but I think both games are very good in their own unique and different ways.

Gotta love it when people didn’t agree with me when I said the Game Awards are usually rigged or popularity contests especially with Japanese games, but when TLOU2 wins GOTY, now everyone says they are definitely rigged. Wow.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
If it isn't clear to you, being dissappointed and hating are different things. People are dissappointed by things every day. You play a dissapointing game, or watch a dissapointing movie, you sigh, then move on, never to remember it again.

Hating it is having the game constantly regurgitating in your mind and making pointless threads months down the line.

OP is clearly a psychotic hater. He can't move on. He is Ellie. He's stuck in a cycle of hatred. Neil Druckmann has mindfucked him for the rest of his days.

I don't think you have ever spent time with a human being after they have been disappointed, especially when it's something that they really, really enjoy.

It's not just "sigh, ok, it sucks, too bad". No, the disappointment runs deep and comes out mixed with anger. It makes sense, they take something you have in very high esteem, something people are passionate about and that people have been waiting for many, many years and then this sequel with subpar story and characters comes out that has other priorities than being good or coherent, so obviously people will get angry whenever you mention it.

Ask any Harry Potter fan how they felt about that play, ask how plenty of Star Wars fans felt about The Last Jedi, ask how Star Trek fans felt about Picard. People are passionate and will display their disappointment with passion as well.

Vick

Ludonarratove dissonance is the worst idea ever created by gamers.
I would agree.. but that controversy also brought us The Last of Us.
And at the same time complaining about the existence of "ludonarrative dissonance" would be kind of hypocritical since for me it really was a major issue in TLoUII.

It's in Uncharted that was moronic as hell.

Thanks monsieur Freud. Or Maybe this is a videogame board with little impact on our real lives, the game just won the VGA and being a huge fan and admirer of the first game i'm free to express my disappointment through analysis and discussions.
At this point i'd say your obsession with Mr. Druckmann, the disturbing ways to manifest it and the emotional hostility shown towards those who dare to criticize his very obviously faulty piece of work says more about you than it does about me.

Geki-D

Banned
Meanwhile, the game just won IGN's player choice GOTY:

You know, voted by the public and not picked by journos? I feel so bad for you people :messenger_tears_of_joy:

When's the last time Amy Henig has finished a game?
When she wrote & directed the incomprehensible mess that was Uncharted 3.

EDIT: Oh sorry, looking it up I was wrong. She also wrote the masterpiece that is Battlefield Hardline.

Truly she is a writing master a real visionary, unlike Druckmann.
9Mbz.gif

Last edited:

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

Vick

EDIT: Oh sorry, looking it up I was wrong. She also wrote the masterpiece that is Battlefield Hardline.

9Mbz.gif
She's behind Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and Among Thieves, both thousands times more charming and appealing and even magical than any pretentious piece of shit produced by Naughty Dog this gen.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I know what you're getting at, and it's not her fault if a project gets cancelled, as per the Star Wars game she was working on.

I know it wasn't her fault, but when compared to Neil.............I mean.....come on. The receipts are in. The votes have been tallied.

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

sn0man

The game have actual faults in it's narrative structure and even entire premises of game, your brain being able to detect them or not.
I liked its narrative. Doesn’t matter that you’ve accused people’s brains of being able to detect or not detect things. That accusation does not make the narrative bad as it is good. (See we can just say stuff to will it into existence.)

I’m just fine with this being GOTY. Why do you dislike the story/narrative?

Azurro

Banned
Hmmmmmm.......now that's a good question.

Druckmann just behaves in such a pedantic and smug way, at least in public, that it wouldn't surprise me if the guy is insufferable in person.

Straley also improved his ideas by removing the edgy insufferable stuff, so Druckmann probably resents him for it, since he did it anyway once he got the throne and became king at Naughty Dog. Oh wait, "king"...that word is endorsing the patriarchy, sorry Neil. ;)

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Without a doubt GoT is the fan-favorite this year. I dunno if that makes it the best or not, but when games like Cyberpunk and TLOU2 are mired in controversy and drama, there's some mething to be said for the crowd pleaser.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Meanwhile, the game just won IGN's player choice GOTY:

You know, voted by the public and not picked by journos? I feel so bad for you people :messenger_tears_of_joy:

9Mbz.gif

This can't be right. Everyone hates the game. /s

sainraja

Hate is a reaction to a thing that happens to something that people DID care for, not always, but in this case, it is true. That something happens to be TLOU; all of what you were questioning should be enough of an answer for your drive by comment that people actually do care. People are hating due to their disappointment in the direction the series went in and they are expressing it in their own way. There is a point you have to give it a rest but clearly that's not happening with this series so that should tell you how much people are caring.

As for the number of threads, is it the same person making them or different people? If different, what is the point of a blanket statement like that?

Last edited:
Agreed. Its basically a better Assassins Creed Japan lol I personally like the game, but man it has many issues and can get massively repetitive. Its story bored me to sleep and I only liked the side stories with the other cast of characters.

Don't even get me started with Ryuzo's character basically betraying the entire country for food despite running past Rivers valleys filled with fucking Fish Deer running and shit are you kidding me? I literally laughed out loud because this doesn't really make a lot of sense and I have to question how the fuck did anyone seriously write this with a straight face. I mean my god...you LITERALLY HAVE FISHING VILLAGES, his clan has bows and arrows yet can't kill deer, boar, bears and all the other fucking animals that clearly they can consume? The fuck?

THEAP99 THEAP99 " It's basically just another Sony Ubisoft open world but with more polish. Congratulations. A B - minus rated game isn't goty worthy. Maybe if ghost of tsushima released in 2013 it would be. But today, nope. " Agreed. I like the game, but its not doing much new and has lots of room for improvement. We wouldn't give most Assassins Creeds GOTY and i feel this game falls in that area.

The Last Of Us 2 is simply a better game even before we talk about story.

Think about it.

Ghost Of Tsushima 2. If they added dogs that are actually able to SMELL YOU, AI that actually looks for you, have their heads move many directions looking for you like in The Last Of Us 2, actually vocally say the name of the person you just stealth killed looking for them as their ABSENCE CONFIRMS SOMETHING IS WRONG, someone telling me that being added in Ghost 2 is bad?

If you take those elements and add them to Ghost, you have a better game. Period. I like both games, but clearly 1 of theses games just has a deep level of quality that is very hard to top and elements that should be added in Ghost Of Tsushima 2 (or what ever they will call it) simply to make the world make more sense in terms of gameplay.
Why would adding AI that calls out the name of someone you killed make it better? The stealth in Tlou2 is just as retarded as GoT and I don't see how that weird shouting 'Alice' every 5 seconds helped.

Surely the confirmation of absence would be the ai then actively searching for you like all the best stealth games (splinter cell/thief etc.)?

This seems like a mechanic that's kind of useless unless you want to talk about how it ties into Tlou2's 'reveng is bad narrative' and how inconsistent it is.

THEAP99

Banned
Why would adding AI that calls out the name of someone you killed make it better? The stealth in Tlou2 is just as retarded as GoT and I don't see how that weird shouting 'Alice' every 5 seconds helped.

Surely the confirmation of absence would be the ai then actively searching for you like all the best stealth games (splinter cell/thief etc.)?

This seems like a mechanic that's kind of useless unless you want to talk about how it ties into Tlou2's 'reveng is bad narrative' and how inconsistent it is.
it's called analog stealth. different types of grass, different types of sight-seeing, and enemies will flank you like crazy.

here is one example of how well crafted the ai is in tlou2

Last edited:
it's called analog stealth. different types of grass, different types of sight-seeing, and enemies will flank you like crazy.

here is one example of how well crafted the ai is in tlou2

Half of that vid is cutscenes and hardly a comprehensive discussion on the AI. As it goes having played it, the stealth in the game is nothing extraordinary. Enemies go their fallen comrades, then fan out to search for you. If you're discovered they flank you by coming at opposing directions to you.

Plenty of games do this, it's hardly unique. The game is very polished and enemy behaviour is consistent enough that they won't magically spot you which is better than most games for sure. But if the central conceit is that it's goty because it does stealth above average and better than ghost recon and worse than splinter cell, that's hardly worth being celebrated

Grinchy

Banned
I hate to say I'm finding the game to be a bit of a mixed bag myself. I do like it, but I don't really love it so far. The AI really is bad a lot of times and the gameplay can get clunky. You get stuck in some corridors where the camera doesn't know what to do, you can't aim at the enemy you want to aim at, ect.

The blacksmith mission where you're herding the idiots back to the forge was especially clunky. If you don't stealth kill every enemy, good luck. And the last portion where there's no stealth anymore really showed off how bad the AI and enemy pathing could get.

I mostly like the tone and the story stuff so far, but I can't take a whole lot of the monotone presentation in one sitting. I think there is a good game here and I will keep going to see how much it opens up and gets better, but so far I'm not aligning with the hype I have read about nonstop before checking it out.

Top Bottom