• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

British Police expect 200, 000 child abuse cases by 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moosichu

Reports of child abuse to forces across the country are continuing to rise, said Bailey, who is the chief constable of Norfolk. He calculated that the continuing increase would mean that by 2020 police across the country would be investigating 200,000 cases of child sexual abuse.

Bailey added: “It is fair to say I am surprised by the extent of abuse being exposed, it is shocking. In trying to get a message across to the public about the scale of this, it is important to remember that behind each of these figures there is a victim.

“We are seeing a significant rise in the number of referrals each month from the Goddard inquiry, and these allegations relate to abuse in a range of institutions from the church, to schools, the scouts and hospitals.”

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...use-police-expect-30000-goddard-inquiry-cases

This is such a serious problem. Hopefully this is a good start to getting to the root of it, and the public can start realising just on how massive a scale this has been going on.

No doubt there will be some powerful people amongst the perpetrators, but whether they get exposed or not is another matter.

cameron

The OP is missing the link to the article. The Guardian: "Police expect 30,000 new child abuse reports from Goddard inquiry"

Justice Lowell Goddard is running 13 investigations into institutional abuse, which include inquiries concerning Westminster, the Catholic Church, Church of England, and Lambeth borough, and concerning grooming and sexual exploitation in Rochdale, Devon, Cornwall, Oxford and Rotherham, and at the Medomsley detention centre in Durham.

Another 12 investigations will be pursued during the inquiry. Most of these 25 investigations will lead to public hearings.

As horrible as it sounds I am not surprised one bit by this announcement, child abuse has always been a problem and I have always known that it is far wider reaching than most people assume.

I personally know quite a few people who have suffered with this and that's just the people I have been close enough with for this to become aware so I'm sure I know more who just haven't told me.

I don't think this is something that is on the rise, just more people feel confident enough to come forward about their abuse.

One of the main problems we have always had is an unwillingness to report suspected abuse, if I remember correctly there was a study recently that showed something like 70% of people wouldn't report suspected cases of child abuse to authorities (physical, emotional and sexual). I know the department for education were doing studies to find out why people wouldn't report this but I don't know the outcome of that study.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom