• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brazilian Playstion fans are getting mad at Sonys lack of regional pricing.

JLB

Banned
I’m Portuguese from Portugal! Not saying Sony is not to blame but Brazilians should be angry at their government who puts really huge taxes on “luxury” goods, meaning almost everything.

also in Europe the conversion sucks not for us gamers but as buyers, for example, here in Portugal, apple is selling their 1200 dollars iMac at 1400 euros!

all of this is messed up and is not just one company doing it!

Gotcha, that's fair. But there is no excuse for Sony here. They are blatantly fucking their userbase. The fact that a Playstation user should pay 14 times more than me on my Xbox -and worst, for a game developed by themselves- is simply unbelievable.

Windows is trash and is looking more and more like 90s adware that would install itself on your computer.

All their software is turning into endless subscriptions

PC hardware prices are insane as now you’re spending the cost of a Xbox for an entry level GPU

Xbox is infested with DRM disguised as features

Go FreeBSD, MacOS, Linux if you really want to vote with your wallet.

Indie devs need to make good games first. Every indie game I’ve played the only two I’ve liked are Void Bastards and Binding of Isaac. All of them look and play like rip offs of superior games I played when I was kid and I’m not spending 40 dollars on a Metroid imitation
Lol.
To play what?

JLB

Banned
Only dumb ass people are paying those prices.

The sophisticated gentlemen among us all use VPNs when the need arises and virtually live in Alaska or some other cheap state in the US.

1u8177.jpg

Actually thats not very smart.
See, the benefit of having regional stores is that on emerging markets you typically get lower prices that the standard ones.
In example: MLS The show standard (US) price is usd60 on Xbox. Now that game on Argentinian Xbox store is at ARS 859 (which is approximately 6 dollars). For an american player, the real deal would be to get an Argentinian credit card and buy games on that store.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Someone from Sony obviously read one of ethomaz ethomaz posts, and thought that Brzil was chock full of super-fanboys that would pay anything.

All jokes aside, digital pricing is not great. I tend to buy my games from other regions on Xbox. Fuck EU prices
I don’t even know the prices of the Brazilian stores so I have no ideia what you are talking about.

But I can guess because the inflation of actual Government is really making everything priced too high… it is not just a game issue.

Sadly part is that Sony basically leave the country due the actual politics…. I really wanted an OLED TV from TV instead the LG CX I brought.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Doesn't MS have a factory there to get around the import tax?
That is for console hardware but I don’t know if they produce the Series here already… PS5 is imported.

Discs are manufactured here without import tax for all.
Same for digital sales… it doesn’t have import tax.

It does have the common tax for all products here like ICMS.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

In the Colombian PS store not only they charge USD instead of the local currency, but they charge more USD than the american store. This is a country where the minimum wage is $250 ish and they charge $80-90 for games lol. It's the same situation with sony across most of south america pretty sure.

reinking

Gold Member
Xbox + game pass is the best deal for Brazilians.... Yet most people in Brazil rather pay the Sony and scalpers tax to play one or two games, while complaining about the prices.

I love Sony games and all but...

Ron Burgundy Anchorman GIF by Ben L
If I lived in Brazil I would probably pass on a PS5 if I felt strong about their unfair pricing. That being said, if I like a product over another because it gives me the entertainment I want (specific game titles) I would still pay the premium. Why would I waste the money on something I will not be as happy with?

Aion002

If I lived in Brazil I would probably pass on a PS5 if I felt strong about their unfair pricing. That being said, if I like a product over another because it gives me the entertainment I want (specific game titles) I would still pay the premium. Why would I waste the money on something I will not be as happy with?
Yes... But then you won't cry a river over the price of the thing, right? It's silly, if you already knew what you're buying in to.

If someone disagree with something, just don't buy it. if enough consumers stop buying what they think that's not fair, then the makers will have to change something... But it's Brazil, people complains, get angry and then keep doing the same shit over and over again... It's just helpless, that's why nothing changes around here and almost everything has a premium price.

Last edited:

Keihart

Yeah, get on with the times. GG Strive costed me around half for the deluxe version on Steam of what the standard version is priced in PSN.
Then again, if people keep buying why even bother adjusting the prices.

Get owned, lagging brazilians huehuehue
I get so tilted about this....
I bet it's not everybody , but more often than not, even while being on the same regional servers, i get such shitty connections with BR players, it's like 90% of people there have laggy connections.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I feel you OP, from another country. I didn't even look at ps store in last 2 years now. It's Sony's decision, i can understand that, i don't demand anything from them. At least we have steam, epic store, and gamepass(i'm using pc version time to time) which do regional pricing so we can play games like we used to.

Sony does regional pricing fo Ps plus though, at least we have that.

Nintendo is worst of all btw.

ZywyPL

Banned
#4thebrazilianplayers

Those prices are fucking nuts, especially when considering it's a rather poor country and the usual 70$ is already a lot for many people there.

But Spencer said about Brazil in recent lodcast that it's due to the taxes, and that's why they aim at Brazil with GP, which as a service lies under different taxation hence can be much, much cheaper.

Because honestly, those companies can't do anything against the government, it's the same as people in Europe complaing that Americans have cheaper electronics for example, which has everything to do with added vat in EU, it's not the companies fault, the governmens are the ones responsible for it.

Last edited:
Actually thats not very smart.
See, the benefit of having regional stores is that on emerging markets you typically get lower prices that the standard ones.
In example: MLS The show standard (US) price is usd60 on Xbox. Now that game on Argentinian Xbox store is at ARS 859 (which is approximately 6 dollars). For an american player, the real deal would be to get an Argentinian credit card and buy games on that store.
Is that a discount price?? $6??

If that's standard, I think I might move to Buenos Aires (virtually) :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Btw, my whole point was people aren't forced to buy in the digital shop of the country they actually live. I buy in the US shop mostly because fuck paying euro prices.

I had a Brazilian friend who had family that took vacations just to the US to buy electronics, he told me a lot of Brazilians did this... what forum does he have to go to complain about this? Please let me know, asking for a friend.

Leopold

Brail has insane taxes and the currency has been tanking for a while. In few years the USD/BRL rate went from 1 to 2 ---- 1 to 5 or 6. That is how it goes.

I'm starting to get annoyed by certain posts from people who don't study and know nothing but their own country.

One more post like that and they will have a lesson.

Yes, im a Brazilian.

Last edited:
  • Empathy
Reactions: amc

Leopold

Also, if anything considering the precarious position of the current govt and the fiscal deficit, it is more likely that they would cancel the modest tax exemption enforced in 2019 and increase taxes to make up for revenue lol

reksveks

Because honestly, those companies can't do anything against the government, it's the same as people in Europe complaing that Americans have cheaper electronics for example, which has everything to do with added vat in EU, it's not the companies fault, the governmens are the ones responsible for it.
As much as I think that VAT/Sales Tax are largely regressive and we need to properly think about the effective tax rates that we should be trying to implement. Not sure that we could purely put the responsibility on the government where the companies are still the ones setting the prices and therefore profit margins.

Thirty7ven

Banned
For people talking shit, Ratchet and Clank is 58€ in Brazil. It’s 80€ in poorest parts of Europe.

Fanboys fucking it up for everyone.

Or maybe don’t expect a private company to cover for your shitty ass government?

One of the most racist countries in the world, one of the most corrupt government in the world, and you go online to complain about Sony not lowering the price even further? Set your priorities straight.

The Alien

Banned
OP ends post by saying "you pay for quality".

Huh?......on 3rd party games....and in game credits. Don't get it it since Microsoft's network is considered by most to be superior for quite some time.

So, aside from first party game (which were not the examples provided)....I dont gwt that comment. Is Brazil getting better quality than elsewhere?

Mr.ODST

Xbox fanboys and Shitty practices. Hell you convinced the world paying for online was the bomb, so you take the cake for sure.
"You" I dont know what your on about, I play on Playstation

Sony hasn't got a great track record this gen so far, hope they improve because of the great titles but the shitty £70 pricing.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
"You" I dont know what your on about, I play on Playstation

Sony hasn't got a great track record this gen so far, hope they improve because of the great titles but the shitty £70 pricing.

I agree that the price increase is shitty. Aside from that I don’t see any “track record” of shitty practices, just a bunch of smoke being blown around with no fire in sight. A lot of paid schills (you can pay people with access to information) and a bunch of astroturfing. The way the world out there is acting completely different to the BS being spread online makes for a very stark contrast.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Is that a discount price?? $6??

If that's standard, I think I might move to Buenos Aires (virtually) :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Btw, my whole point was people aren't forced to buy in the digital shop of the country they actually live. I buy in the US shop mostly because fuck paying euro prices.

Nope, regular price, and actually since the game is on gamepass it applies the standard 20% off, so actually even less than that ha.
Yeah, right now argentinian store has some crazy low prices.

ACESHIGH

Banned
The thing is that here in South America most people are level 99 Sony fanboys thanks to piracy on the PS1 PS2 and PS3 eras so they rather get shafted by Sony than gaming on platforms with cheaper games PC, Xbox or hell even Nintendo.

to be honest i wasnt too happy about the price increase to £70 here in the uk but it is what it is. atleast prices drop fast. i can get returnal right now for £45

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
I agree that the price increase is shitty. Aside from that I don’t see any “track record” of shitty practices, just a bunch of smoke being blown around with no fire in sight. A lot of paid schills (you can pay people with access to information) and a bunch of astroturfing. The way the world out there is acting completely different to the BS being spread online makes for a very stark contrast.
track record:

worst cs is galaxy
pay for next gen updates
pay to enable crossplay
fuck europlayers with 1 -1 euro dollar changes
fuck latam players with dollar only stores

Top Bottom