• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default II Final Demo Out - First Chapter

Look at this game.

Hh3uq8R.png

kPpYCy3.png

e&e

Banned
Lost internet because of snowstorm. Will check out when it Optimum restores my internet ugh...

Jooxed

Gold Member
Wasn't really impressed with the last demo, but I'll definitely try this one out.

It's a shame really that the stuff outside of the nice towns doesn't look nearly as good

Hopefully it was improved upon, some people on reddit are saying it looks a little better graphically.

Exentryk

Full playthrough on hard. It was decent, but the timer really annoyed me as I couldn't mess around and max my party.

Timed it perfectly (with the 5 hour limit) :p

hqXnYYW.jpg

Also, boss fights on hard mode if anyone is having trouble:

Last edited:

Myths

Never tried the series but always followed it. The change in graphics is interesting, in that I wish they threw some kind of post shader to get closer to the concept art.

Exentryk

Finished the demo. Some thoughts:
  • I absolutely hated the visible encounters and the fact we can't turn them off. It frustrates me enough to consider not buying the game.
  • The frame rate is really rough.
  • The menus are still annoying to use, though better than previous demo. The little pop up that gives ability descriptions and equipment stats gets in the way and makes reading other things harder.
  • Not being able to raise the camera completely to see in front of you on the world map sucks.
  • Not having a full map of the overworld zone sucks. The mini-map can only be zoomed out so much. I want to see it all and plan my path.
  • The combat of course is no longer our good old Bravely combat, but a more generic speed focussed system. It is what it is, and complaining about it more isn't going to do anything. Will work on optimising this one, which should still be fun I guess.
  • Save points don't heal you now, which sucks.
  • The hand drawn backgrounds look really good.
  • The voice acting is top notch.
  • Writing is average.
I hate the timer. It means we can't freely grind and optimise our party. Not sure if I want to spend anymore time on this because of it.

Last edited:

Pejo

Bummer that they didn't change the character models despite the supposedly ass ton of feedback that they looked shitty compared to Bravely 1 (a 3DS game). I'll still buy it since we don't get many turn based RPGs these days. I think I'll skip this new demo though, I played the first one and am already going to buy it later, I'll just do it then.

Exentryk

Oh wow, you unlock a card game (!!!) after completing the demo. I think this is the first we've heard of it?

drganon

Downloaded and tried out the demo. Overall, didn't like it that much so I won't bother getting the full version when it comes out. It has a nice art style but the difficulty balance is shit. If I'm getting my ass kicked on my first random encounter, something is wrong.

Exentryk

Downloaded and tried out the demo. Overall, didn't like it that much so I won't bother getting the full version when it comes out. It has a nice art style but the difficulty balance is shit. If I'm getting my ass kicked on my first random encounter, something is wrong.
Yeah, I noticed that playing on normal or casual doesn't really change things much. Enemies still hit hard, and it can quite tough for people that just want to see the story. The combat, along with the change in mechanics from previous Bravely games, also makes things harder.

Top Bottom