• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default 2 |OT| Brave New Worlds

Komatsu

BRAVELYDEFAULT2-BANNER.png

BRAVELY-GINFO.png

Developer: Claytechworks
Publisher(s): Nintendo (Global) / Square Enix (Japan)
Director: Shunsuke Iwami
Artist(s): Hajime Onuma & Naoki Ikushima
Genre: RPG
Engine: Unreal Engine 4
Platform: Nintendo Switch
Release Date: February 26, 2021
Price: US$59.99

BRAVELY-STORY-GPLAY.png

Bravely Default II (two) is a role-playing game (RPG) which features a party of four characters navigating the fantastical continent of Excillant. Navigation in towns, dungeons and the world map environments are done from an angled, third-person overhead view: the character remains still, the camera zooms out to a distant view. In towns, players can interact with non-playable characters (NPCs), purchase items or magic at specialized shops, buy or sell weapons and equipment at an armory, or rest at an inn to restore health points (HP) and magic points (MP). In all environments, the party can find chests containing items, weapons or equipment. During exploration, standard enemies appear through random encounters: outside battle, the counter rate can be adjusted from high to nothing. The game features multiple difficulty levels, which can be adjusted freely outside battle.

Battles come in two types: random encounters with standard enemies, and staged boss battles. The battle system revolves around turn-based combat: each side is allowed to perform an action or multiple actions, with each character having independent movements and commands: these actions include attacking with the equipped weapon, using magic, or using an item. The party also has the option to escape from most battles. Two new options to the battle system are the Brave and Default options. Brave Points (BP) dictate the number of actions a character or enemy can take within a turn, along with being needed for the execution of certain abilities. Party members can utilize BP down into negative figures, enabling up to four actions within a single turn. When the BP gauge is into negative figures, they must wait for the BP counter to reach zero before they can act again. BP are naturally recovered once per turn. Alternately, any party member can Default, which reduces the damage taken by enemy strikes and accumulates BP.

Bravely Default II is the third game in the Bravely series, following the original game, Bravely Default and its direct sequel Bravely Second: End Layer. While Second was a direct story continuation from the original, Default II features a new story and cast of characters.Similar to prior titles, the game plays as a role-playing video game with turn-based battles. The game follows four main characters; a young sailor named Seth, a refugee princess named Gloria, a travelling scholar named Elvis, and a mercenary named Adelle. [ADAPTED FROM WIKIPEDIA]

BRAVELY-MEDIACEPTION.png

XBlY4Qp.jpg
ShiZir1.jpg

RECEPTION TO BE INCLUDED ONCE MORE REVIEWS ARE OUT

Pejo

Going to wait for some impressions, hopefully from GAF in this thread. I really hate the new art style, but hopefully the rest of the package makes up for it. I didn't mind the demo, but it just felt off from Bravely Second.

Sadly I don't see this game doing very well.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
My copy shipped. I’m eagerly waiting for the class selection and difficulty spikes. Enemies on screen too. That was nice change when DQIX started doing it.

Last edited:

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
My first Bravely Default game (didn't play the 3DS games). I love turn based battles. Unfortunately I won't get my copy until Friday. Still have to wait another day and a half.

I got some Bravely Default merchandise free with it. I am excited to play this one. Demo was sweet.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Eager to read some impressions here. I haven't played a nice JRPG on the Switch since Octopath Traveler, so it would be nice to have, *ahem*... Another one. :lollipop_content:

Btw, count me in with those that dislike the art direction they have taken for the character but hey, if the music and gameplay are nice, I won't mind it too much.

Last edited:

Komatsu

Counting the hours now. I am still somewhat disappointed that Akihiro Yoshida didn't return as Character Designer, but one can't win always..

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Got the pre-order bonus from Best Buy today. It is a small poster and 4 drink coasters. The poster comes folded up around the coasters and while they are called coasters they are really just paper cut outs. Having the special editions for BD1 and BSEL I am a touch bitter that we got an option to buy folded paper for BD3 :)

Exentryk

The opening prologue was really nice, especially the ending. Halcyonia looks and sounds wonderful! Seth running around in Halcyonia definitely reminded me of the previous games, so I guess that 3D model isn't bothering me much at least in the towns.
The performance is a little rough though. You can see the game freeze for a second or two when you press "Party Chats" and when going into battles and you try to act really quickly.

Overall though, having a great time. Not enough time to cut grass though, lol.

Komatsu

The performance is a little rough though. You can see the game freeze for a second or two when you press "Party Chats" and when going into battles and you try to act really quickly.

Yeah, I am noticing that as well. Incredible really that almost 5 years after the console was released, most 3rd party games run like shit on the Switch.

Andyliini

Bought it today. Glad I went to that store to buy it, they had a campaing 20% off from any console game. 12€ off a brand new game ain't a bad deal at all. Anyway, will crack it open after I have played Project Triangle Strategy demo a bit more.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Yeah, I am noticing that as well. Incredible really that almost 5 years after the console was released, most 3rd party games run like shit on the Switch.
Does it at least run at a steady framerate most of the time?

TintoConCasera

Moooost of the time it's fine. But you can tell the switch is struggling a bit, the PoS. Bring on switch pro/2/whatever that doesn't actually live in the dark ages.
Sounds almost fine enough. As long as it doesn't struggles during exploration or battle animations, it will be fine for me.

John Day

Wallet hurting this week with both Persona and now this, but... who needs food and stripclubs anyways? 🤣🤣🤣 Downloading now.

I'm loving it so far. It's exactly what I expected having played the first game.

I hate that there is no rumble support at all. Games without rumble, just feel empty and sad, especially after spending time with the DualSense. Octopath Traveler made great subtle use of the HD rumble, so I don’t know why it is completely absent here.

Pejo

I'm loving it so far. It's exactly what I expected having played the first game.

I hate that there is no rumble support at all. Games without rumble, just feel empty and sad, especially after spending time with the DualSense. Octopath Traveler made great subtle use of the HD rumble, so I don’t know why it is completely absent here.
Thanks for your impressions. How are you liking this new battle system after a few hours? I only pissed with it in the demo for a bit.

Kimahri

Banned
Sigh, this game is wearing me thin. Just 15 or so hours in and I feel like I've barely started. Two towns, two big dungeons. That's it. Everything is so artificially bloated that I just get bored. By the end of a dungeon I'm so tired of walking along the same copy paste corridors that I'm well on my way to resenting the game. It's not fun. The combat is fun, the game in itself is a lot of fun, but repeating the same battles against the same enemies a hundred times in quick succession, is not fun.

Why do so many devs do this these days?

Why can't we just get some better crafted games with more concentrated content. Quality over quantity. It's beginning to remind me of Persona 5 with its 10+ dungeons.

I even turned down the difficulty to see if it'd make battles go by faster.

cabbage5k2

Sigh, this game is wearing me thin. Just 15 or so hours in and I feel like I've barely started. Two towns, two big dungeons. That's it. Everything is so artificially bloated that I just get bored. By the end of a dungeon I'm so tired of walking along the same copy paste corridors that I'm well on my way to resenting the game. It's not fun. The combat is fun, the game in itself is a lot of fun, but repeating the same battles against the same enemies a hundred times in quick succession, is not fun.

Why can't we just get some better crafted games with more concentrated content. Quality over quantity. It's beginning to remind me of Persona 5 with its 10+ dungeons.

Is there not an option to turn off random battles entirely like the last two games?

Kimahri

Banned
Is there not an option to turn off random battles entirely like the last two games?
Might have missed it, but there is an item I can use to avoid enemies. Problem is that if I don't fight everything I see the many overpowered bossfights become a nightmare. You really don't get enough xp per fight.

Weird. Everything you're complaining about is exactly why I love the game. These old-school JRPGs are gaming comfort food for me.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
Weird. Everything you're complaining about is exactly why I love the game. These old-school JRPGs are gaming comfort food for me.
I'm not sure I'd call it old school. I've been replaying old games a lot lately and they're never this grindy, and progression is much faster.

Kimahri

Banned
I'm talking the original NES Dragon Quest games type of old school.
Didn't play much of those. I started in the snes era and onward.
Sometimes I wish we got more straightforward JRPGs like the first Final Fantasy, just create your party and you're free to explore, regardless if you like the story or not.
Japanese devs focus too much on dialogue and exposition to the point of being boring.
Yeah, that too. Too much talking. Replayed FFXI last year and was wowed by how much story was conveyed in very few words. Convos with npcs are also very fast. These days it's usually a long series of speech bubbles just for some random unimportant npc dialogue. I end up not talking to npcs because of it.

Exentryk

Might have missed it, but there is an item I can use to avoid enemies. Problem is that if I don't fight everything I see the many overpowered bossfights become a nightmare. You really don't get enough xp per fight.
I've been using that item to complete most dungeons. I only fight when I accidentally run into something or the treasure chest has a surprise battle.

Haven't had any issues with bosses. Just make sure you gear up properly and use the mechanics well.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’m pass the first dungeon. So you can leave your Switch on for 12 hours for the expeditions. I haven’t done it yet, but couldn’t you just leave your Switch on all night - utilize the items you get to help boost leveling? Combine that with the skill to JP boost. I’m not quite sure what I’ll gain if I leave it running for 12 hours wasn’t it?

What helps me is setting battles to be max speed. Learn weaknesses of all creatures and try to always get enemies by surprise for the advantage bonus.

Last edited:

Sejan

I’m pass the first dungeon. So you can leave your Switch on for 12 hours for the expeditions. I haven’t done it yet, but couldn’t you just leave your Switch on all night - utilize the items you get to help boost leveling? Combine that with the skill to JP boost. I’m not quite sure what I’ll gain if I leave it running for 12 hours wasn’t it?

What helps me is setting battles to be max speed. Learn weaknesses of all creatures and try to always get enemies by surprise for the advantage bonus.
Expeditions run specifically when the game is not active. Sleep mode works great. Just start a new expedition right before you quit for the day/night.

Top Bottom