• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brands, Brands, Brands - The Most Meaningful Brands

We exist in a world of tremendous commercialization and merchandising, where branding is reputation and logos identifiers. There's simply no shortage of products and services offered by corporations and businesses to take our hard earned bucks. Whilst many brands are built upon a steady stream of success and desire for excellence, so too are there imitators and merchants of lesser product, and that's what I'm hoping to address. Name the brands that you have the most respect for in terms of their products and services, whether that be past or present. You may choose absolutely anything, the requirement being that the brand is established and one you have personal experience with in your life. Those brands to whom you've become a loyal customer and will accept no substitutes.

I'm hoping to include some rules to make things more interesting:
  • You can choose a maximum of 5 brands for submission.
  • Entries can be from any sector, though discretion is advised.
  • If the company specializes in different fields, choose yours.
  • You can amend and change your selections as you see fit.
  • You must have experienced the brand first-hand.
Mine:
Odeon - Cinema Chain
RDC__0002_ODEON.jpg

I'm extremely passionate about movies and I visit Odeon the most. Tickets are fairly priced, good image quality and there's a Costa in my local one.

NFL - Sports League
NFL_Shield_mark_rgb-page-001-246x300.jpg

Huge football fan and supporter of the New York Giants (see avatar) for many seasons.

Morrisons - Supermarket Chain
Morrisons-Logo.jpg

Great selection of products, reasonably priced, ethical and overall excellent. #FuckTesco

Apple - Mobile Phones
images

I'm still rocking a prehistoric iPhone 6 and have no plans to change unless it smashes.

NeoGAF - Message Board
images

Who loves ya baby?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
We exist in a world of tremendous commercialization and merchandising, where branding is reputation and logos identifiers. There's simply no shortage of products and services offered by corporations and businesses to take our hard earned bucks. Whilst many brands are built upon a steady stream of success and desire for excellence, so too are there imitators and merchants of lesser product, and that's what I'm hoping to address. Name the brands that you have the most respect for in terms of their products and services, whether that be past or present. You may choose absolutely anything, the requirement being that the brand is established and one you have personal experience with in your life. Those brands to whom you've become a loyal customer and will accept no substitutes.

I'm hoping to include some rules to make things more interesting:
  • You can choose a maximum of 5 brands for submission.
  • Entries can be from any sector, though discretion is advised.
  • If the company specializes in different fields, choose yours.
  • You can amend and change your selections as you see fit.
  • You must have experienced the brand first-hand.
Mine:
Odeon - Cinema Chain
RDC__0002_ODEON.jpg

I'm extremely passionate about movies and I visit Odeon the most. Tickets are fairly priced, good image quality and there's a Costa in my local one.

NFL - Sports League
NFL_Shield_mark_rgb-page-001-246x300.jpg

Huge football fan and supporter of the New York Giants (see avatar) for many seasons.

Morrisons - Supermarket Chain
Morrisons-Logo.jpg

Great selection of products, reasonably priced, ethical and overall excellent. #FuckTesco

Apple - Mobile Phones
images

I'm still rocking a prehistoric iPhone 6 and have no plans to change unless it smashes.

NeoGAF - Message Board
images

Who loves ya baby?
You forgot your own avatar.
355333.jpg

Ionian

Their was a place here called "Mr. calculator", sold some calculators but also "Phlips" headphones. Used to bust out laughing. I'd visit all the time for a laugh, think I even bought some.

For those too young to know "Philips" was the brand.

GeekyDad

Accept no substitutes? If life were only that straightforward. And loyal? Fuck 'em all in terms of being callous machines thirsting for our blood, sweat and tears.

But brands I put at the top of the heap because of their quality and reliability:

logo-toyota-256x256.png

A blue-collar worker needs stability, not speed, and the long haul is first and foremost. Honda has great engines too, but Toyota transmissions are the ones I feel I can rely on most.

fqpkp3nvowfooj0yfz8r

I've have had custom-made guitars from two-man teams gifted to me back when I was gigging, had Lowden and other beautifully well-crafted acoustic guitars over the years. But my (I think I paid something like $500 for it new at the time) trusty old Larivee OM is my baby. Play her daily, and it's because she got the stuff.

nike.png

But I don't gig anymore. For the last 15 years, I've been a workin' man, and I need comfortable shoes to get the job(s) done. I have a very specific make and model (and width) I get (these days off eBay 'cause they haven't made them for quite a while now). Worth every penny.

resize

Mama mia!

nintendo-6-282132.png

Because they cockblock me on everything, and...I like it.

You forgot your own avatar.
355333.jpg
he's not a real fan LMAO
You didn't read the description of the NFL entry? I supposed individual teams could be considered their own thing, so I'll amend that as required.
Levis, Doc Martens, Jack Daniels, Coke
I can roll with somebody who likes Levi's, but Doc Martens? Yeah, I don't get down like that.
Xbox

DxNh4jm_d.webp

Sony

dQmFxHf_d.webp
200.gif

Rolex

Porsche

Prada

Airstream

Chanel

I don't even have to say what those brands are, you already know.
J jason10mm be like:
humble-brag-on-linkedin-1024x537.jpg

Humble bragging all over the damn place!

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Top 5 brands
Jordan, trustable.
Apple, they pulled off the smartphone, smart watch smart AirPods thing.
Nike,
WWE, tons of talent.
Kong

Fashion is very important to me, so I always look at clothing brands/accessories along with electronics.

Versace for clothing
Cartier for jewelery

And Samsung for electronics, specifically TVs and Monitors

Mercedes #1 fo cars for me

ysTjbMF.jpg
Hjh8BHl.png

Em7Ziou.png

cAjrZ0G.png

Last edited:
Adidas-mountain-logo-768x299.jpg

e5faa9e0567290568f272b357dce86a0-740x400.jpg

hawkins-brimble-logo.jpg

Pretty much all I need..
I'm assuming the Breitling Navitimer is the one you have? I've heard stories about Breitling products being suited for aviation, and pilots don't know or care to use them lol. As for Hawkins & Brimble I've never heard of them, though their products do seem to be aimed at a niche market, hence the higher price.
Top 5 brands
Jordan, trustable.
Apple, they pulled off the smartphone, smart watch smart AirPods thing.
Nike,
WWE, tons of talent.
Kong
Jordan as being trustable lol? That dude was scheming behind everybody's back. On a serious note, I'm not surprised to see the WWE there as your avatar speaks for itself. As for Kong, I researched it and they sell dog products?
Fashion is very important to me, so I always look at clothing brands/accessories along with electronics.

Versace for clothing
Cartier for jewelery

And Samsung for electronics, specifically TVs and Monitors

Mercedes #1 fo cars for me

ysTjbMF.jpg
Hjh8BHl.png

Em7Ziou.png

cAjrZ0G.png
That's a lot of money to be spending. Cartier watches are overrated and too feminine in my opinion. The French should pull out as they can't contend with the Swiss. As for Mercedes, I'm completely behind you my man.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I'm assuming the Breitling Navitimer is the one you have? I've heard stories about Breitling products being suited for aviation, and pilots don't know or care to use them lol. As for Hawkins & Brimble I've never heard of them, though their products do seem to be aimed at a niche market, hence the higher price.
Yeah, I have a 1967 Navitimer and also a Colt Automatic II .

And you should check out Hawkins and Brimble products since you're a well-groomed dude. The smell of the stuff is great, could still smell it long after shaving. Their signature scent is of ginseng and elemi.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Panisonic - Solid hardware. Only think I never bought was a Panny shaver

Costco - Best retailer. Great products, prices, return policy, electronics warranties

Skechers - The most durable shoes I've ever owned are these. The first pair of them I bought in like 2005 and I still got them and use them. I now relegate them to mowing the lawn, doing yardwork, if I think it'll rain that day and crappy jobs like that. But somehow they still are in good condition. Not a hole in the sole yet. So I bought a few other pairs over the years and same thing. Still rocking them. And never paid more than $70 each. The only shoes I buy with confidence. Every other shoe brand (casual or office shoe) will likely break down in a few years.

2560px-Panasonic_logo_%28Blue%29.svg.png

2560px-Costco_Wholesale_logo_2010-10-26.svg.png

2560px-Skechers.svg.png

Last edited:

thefool

Only brand I remember having any sort of attachment/loyalty was sega. There's other brands that I consume more than the competitors (coca cola comes to mind, especially with coke zero) but I'm open to change if there's something better out there.

Tams

Gold Member
There are a load of small companies I like to support. But as we're mainly going with big ones most know I'll only include one small one.

Nokia (before they left the phone space). I was a massive fan of them and loved Symbian and Maemo/Meego.

nokia-connecting-people-logo.jpg

Sony - cameras, phones, and audio products. Their TVs are great too.

Sony_logo_current.png

Samsung - mainly for their devices with S Pens - yeah, it's Wacom's tech, but Samsung are one of the few to make devices with Wacom's EMR.
Samsung-Logo.png

Nintendo - just love so many if their games, and they always make interesting hardware.
Nintendo-Logo.wine.png

I think I get an extra here as the Nokia I liked have gone:

AMD - made a comeback that the industry needed. Their CPUs are great now, and their GPUs are getting better.

AMD_logo_logotype_emblem_black_background.png

Walsh - their fell running shoes have never failed me. Yes, they are supposed to get soaked if you run into water with them on, look best covered in mud, and don't run on tarmac in them.

WALSH%20SOCK%20LOGO.png

P.S. Sorry for the mess. Making this post on mobile has been an utter ballache.

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
The logo is iconic and nothing wrong with it? Just a signature that Stüssy used when he hand crafted surfboards in the early 80s. Don't be sour about stuff you clearly know nothing about!

1904564W_PRED_1_300x300.jpg

And I thought people would shit on me because of my Konami love :D

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

In the 90s it was a brand represented in the skate, street, hiphop, punk scenes. It hardly had anything to do with actual surfing at that point; that's like saying "Lacoste? Never heard of it but I don't play tennis" :D

Just move on dude.

In the 90s it was a brand represented in the skate, street, hiphop, punk scenes. It hardly had anything to do with actual surfing at that point; that's like saying "Lacoste? Never heard of it but I don't play tennis" :D

Just move on dude.
Or maybe it wasn't as big as you remember because nobody could decipher the damn logo? The king of urban clothing was Mark Ecko's brand, everybody knew that.

kurisu_1974

Now you're just trolling. Stussy brand appears in games, movies, album covers, even some Anton Corbijn pop photography. It was huge and still exists to this day. Also I have never seen a white dude wear Ecko but whatever. I'm kinda done with your nonsense!

Dural

The logo is iconic and nothing wrong with it? Just a signature that Stüssy used when he hand crafted surfboards in the early 80s. Don't be sour about stuff you clearly know nothing about!

1904564W_PRED_1_300x300.jpg

And I thought people would shit on me because of my Konami love :D

I grew up in the 80s in southern California. I have huge nostalgia for the 80s surf and skate brands, something I just don't have today. I really don't give a fuck about wearing certain brands as an adult, as long as I can get a good deal and it looks good that's all I care about.

ahIYqpC.jpg

vbJsnxl.jpg

Top Bottom