• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boys let black widow bite them in hopes of turning into Spider-Man

Bullet Club

Boys let black widow bite them in hopes of turning into Spider-Man

IScmrma.jpg

Three young Bolivian brothers were hospitalized after getting a black widow spider to bite them — thinking it would turn them into Spider-Man, according to officials.

The Marvel-loving siblings — ages 12, 10 and 8 — found the spider while herding goats in Chayanta, a Ministry of Health official revealed at coronavirus briefing Saturday, according to Telemundo.

Thinking it would give them superhero powers, they prodded it with a stick until it bit each of them in turn, said the official, Virgilio Pietro.

Finding them crying, their mom rushed them to a nearby health center, which transferred them to a nearby hospital, Telemundo said.

The would-be Peter Parkers were transferred a third time, taken to the Children’s Hospital in La Paz the next day with fevers, tremors and muscle pains, according to the report.

There, they were treated and discharged last Wednesday, almost a week after they were bitten, the report says.

Pietro shared the drama as a warning to parents, saying that “for children, everything is real, movies are real” — even though they are in fact an “illusion,” according to Telemundo.

With venom 15 times stronger than a rattlesnake’s, black widows are one of the most feared spiders in the world, and the most venomous in North America, National Geographic says.

While their bites are not usually fatal, children are among those most at risk, along with the elderly and infirm, the site says.

The arachnids are not aggressive and bite only in self-defense, National Geographic says — including, it seems, when prodded by young superhero fans.

Source: NY Post

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It takes a whole lot to get a black widow to bite you. They are actually one of the most docile spiders and 9 times out of 10 do not expel their venom in a defensive bite since it is too expensive for them to manufacture. It's only in a life or death scenario and when they feed where they will discharge it.

They are not as fatal as the lore out there hypes as well. No more than most bees and depending on the health/allergen of the person. I have them in my shed sometimes, and just leave them be and they never bother me.

Pagusas

Elden Member
How in the world could a 12 year old believe that? Even an 8 year should not be that dumb. I thought this story would be about 5 year olds or something.

Last edited:
F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Those kids are stupid. My daughter understood that tv was all fake and made for the purpose of entertainment at 6 years old.

GeorgPrime

Banned
Article doesn't say whether or not they turned into Spider-Man.

I guess not....

I was just thinking if it's a good idea to tell the kids... that it only works if they have radioactive material in their other hand while you're bitten.

Last edited:

nush

Those Marvel fans were so impatient for the Black Widow movie they decided to make thier own.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
How in the world could a 12 year old believe that? Even an 8 year should not be that dumb. I thought this story would be about 5 year olds or something.
Kids grow up in front of iPads now, they are completely abstracted from reality. Wait until they find your health doesn’t regenerate quickly after taking a bullet to the face.
I could be that stupid at 8 years old.
How old are you? I was taught that certain animals have venom and to not engage in fights with them when I was 4-5. Your parents had to teach you this because otherwise how would you go out to the park to play and be safe?

Last edited:

Fbh

According to google there's at least 2 other types of dangerous spiders in Bolivia.

Maybe they got the wrong one :goog_unsure::goog_unsure:

Top Bottom