• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bought another Wii U

fart town usa

Gold Member
I actually got a Wii U on launch day and I was the first to post on here how Wii games were given a boost in resolution, lol. That being said, I sold the console probably within a years time but not because I didn't like it, I wasn't gaming as much and didn't have the funds to buy new games.

Flash forward a few years, I always wanted to get another one because of how much I loved ZombiU. Long story short, ended up getting one for ZombiU and BOTW, I'm now like 10+ games in and I cannot stop playing this thing. The Wii U is an amazing console, by any standard.

A few things I'd like to bring up,

Xenoblade Chronicles X is frigging amazing, the UI is fine, the OST is awesome, and the game isn't nearly as overwhelming as people make it out to be. Just gotta explore the menus a bit to see all the things you can upgrade, etc.

Paper Mario: Color Splash.....it should be considered criminal the way this game is trashed on the internet. It's so good! The music, the art style, gameplay, etc. So many people complain about the battle system menus, YOU CAN TURN OFF THE TOUCH CONTROLS. I dunno, I play this game for about an hour each night in bed and I am just loving it.

The tablet, why do people hate this thing? Yes, it's bulky and ugly, it's also a frigging tablet built into a game controller, I don't know what people expected it to look like? It's comfy as hell to me.

Playing Wii games on the tablet is a complete game changer, at least for Skyward Sword it is. It seems so insanely silly to think that playing a Wii game on a tiny screen would be a good experience but holy smokes, it really is! lol. Skyward Sword looks frigging amazing on the small screen and it's super responsive control-wise. I can't wait to try out Metroid Prime Trilogy.

I could go on and on but man, the Wii U is such an awesome system. I'm just blown away at all the stuff I missed out on and am glad I have the income now to where I can spend money on the Wii U in 2020, lol.

I’m glad you’re happy with it. It was the 1st Nintendo home console that I skipped. I did buy a used WW version though. I still have yet to play any games on it as I have the Switch and love it. Maybe one day.

TexMex

I bought one this year actually, just for a handful of games. Usual suspects like the HD Zeldas, 3D World, Pikmin 3, etc. But now that most of them are Switch bound I'll probably offload it. If we get Prime Trilogy and Wind Waker/TP HD on Switch, it's gone.

cireza

Banned
Finished Project Zero today. Really enjoyed the game. I am going to try the new episodes with Ayane.

Wii U is the HD console I have been playing this console the most in 2020. One of my favorite console ever. You can build an entire collection for very cheap.

And yes, Zombi U is awesome, discovered the game this year as well. Fantastic use of the Gamepad.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i bought one in 2017 for BOTW. it was a decent console but i was so used to not using discs i couldn't stand the noise that thing made with a disc in it. also the UI was slow as hell. the gamepad controller sucked ass but i used a cheapo pro controller.

i think if i had bought one at launch i'd have been quite happy with it but it was too late for me in 2017. the only reason i got it was because i wasn't sold on the Switch just for one game. with the Wii U at least there was a few games i would be interested in playing.

after 2 days with the Wii U i returned it and said FUCK IT and bought a Switch against all doubts.

Last edited:

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
It's a great console with a lot of great games in it's library. When the gamepad is used well it provides unique extras that other consoles can't offer and the pro controller is friggin' awesome.

Xenoblade Chronicles X is phenomenal in terms of world, scope and depth, it's just the main story that (really) let's it down. That said, I can happily wander that world picking fights and taking in the scenery for hours. It's criminal that so few got to play it - I'd love a sequel to clean up the story with a remaster of the original.

Project Zero is well worth a look if you can. 3D world is one of my favorite 3D platformers of the past decade (and it's soooo good in local multiplayer) plus you have the Windwaker remake available if you want to experience the best version of one of the best Zelda's and a game that makes excellent use of the gamepad.

Quasicat

I still have mine and rarely used it until I bought a new 4K TV last year which lacks component/composite hookups. This left many systems, but especially GameCube unable to be played without doing a hardware mod. So I did just enough to get Nintendont running on the Wii portion of the Wii U and now I play it quite frequently. Between the backwards compatibility and Wind Waker HD, it gets a lot of playtime.

fart town usa

Gold Member
It's a great console with a lot of great games in it's library. When the gamepad is used well it provides unique extras that other consoles can't offer and the pro controller is friggin' awesome.

Xenoblade Chronicles X is phenomenal in terms of world, scope and depth, it's just the main story that (really) let's it down. That said, I can happily wander that world picking fights and taking in the scenery for hours. It's criminal that so few got to play it - I'd love a sequel to clean up the story with a remaster of the original.

Project Zero is well worth a look if you can. 3D world is one of my favorite 3D platformers of the past decade (and it's soooo good in local multiplayer) plus you have the Windwaker remake available if you want to experience the best version of one of the best Zelda's and a game that makes excellent use of the gamepad.

By Project Zero do you mean Fatal Frame 5? I actually just bought it yesterday. I also bought and beat WW HD. I think my wife got me TP HD for Christmas (fingers crossed) Mario 3D world, got that too. I actually had that back with my first Wii U. 3D World, to me, is one of the best Mario games ever made. I think it's better than Odyssey. It's the best aspects of Mario 64, Super Mario World, and Mario 3.

LordOfChaos

I'm an idiot who for some reason was really optimistic about getting a PS5 early on, so sold my PS4 before its launch. Still no PS5 yet.

So I've been getting into my Wii U more by force of limited choice, and found some gems I just forgot to play in there. I wanted to do a writeup on Bayonetta 2, that's the game that really impressed me for running on Wii U so far.

I played the intro of Xenoblade Chronicles but I guess the start's a bit of a slow burn, it didn't get its hook in yet, but I'll try it again.

What I'm missing so far is a solid FPS for it, I'm thinking of getting some physical releases like the two CoD games for it...Maybe Devil's Third??

I hate how many games just burn power by keeping the gamepad screen on and doing nothing on them...Looking at you, BoTW, the supposed savior of the Wii U that had its own features cut to make sure the Switch was the best version. I wonder if, in year one, they did a hard pivot and dropped the gamepad and sold it as the $199 HD Wii it should have been, if that would have saved it somewhat.

Last edited:

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
By Project Zero do you mean Fatal Frame 5? I actually just bought it yesterday. I also bought and beat WW HD. I think my wife got me TP HD for Christmas (fingers crossed) Mario 3D world, got that too. I actually had that back with my first Wii U. 3D World, to me, is one of the best Mario games ever made. I think it's better than Odyssey. It's the best aspects of Mario 64, Super Mario World, and Mario 3.

Yes, Sorry, in Europe Fatal Frame 5 was called Project Zero. It's a damn good horror game if that takes your thing. Enjoy.

Also, Zombi U is great and another title that makes excellent use of the gamepad.

If you've got 3D world then get that game loaded up when you've got someone else to play with. The absolute chaos that can ensue is great and makes for some of the best local multiplayer you can get.

How good is your PC? BotW is incredible if you can get it running 1080p at 60fps. I still have my Wii U, but I didn't spend much time with it after I got Star Fox at launch..

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
I'm an idiot who for some reason was really optimistic about getting a PS5 early on, so sold my PS4 before its launch. Still no PS5 yet.

So I've been getting into my Wii U more by force of limited choice, and found some gems I just forgot to play in there. I wanted to do a writeup on Bayonetta 2, that's the game that really impressed me for running on Wii U so far.

I played the intro of Xenoblade Chronicles but I guess the start's a bit of a slow burn, it didn't get its hook in yet, but I'll try it again.

What I'm missing so far is a solid FPS for it, I'm thinking of getting some physical releases like the two CoD games for it...Maybe Devil's Third??

I hate how many games just burn power by keeping the gamepad screen on and doing nothing on them...Looking at you, BoTW, the supposed savior of the Wii U that had its own features cut to make sure the Switch was the best version. I wonder if, in year one, they did a hard pivot and dropped the gamepad and sold it as the $199 HD Wii it should have been, if that would have saved it somewhat.

Xenoblade Chronicles X does take a bit of perseverance. The first couple of hours can feel a little slow, then the issue becomes one of overload. It's frickin' huge, both in terms of world and mechanics. Figuring out the right skills to progress and the massivly scaling number of sidequests and bonus tasks takes a bit of effort while the scope of the world is just downright overwhelming at times. it's a real achievemnt that they built that world on that scale,it's still one of my favorites, but man, it's intimidating when you're finding your way around.

Not much of an FPS guy, but I can recommend Deus Ex if only for the added gamepad integration. They really put the effort in to use it and the game is better for it.

fart town usa

Gold Member

It's funny, a big reason I bought a 2nd Wii U was because I was getting my wife a Switch for her birthday. I figured I'd want to play BOTW and wouldn't want to hog her system. Instead of getting two Switches it was cheaper to get a Wii U and I figured it would be the better version because of the off screen features.........LOL. I didn't know until after I had ordered it that Nintendo had removed these features. They totally nerfed that aspect of the game. it's still fine but it makes no sense that they removed the map, etc on the tablet. I actually play the game more in offscreen mode so it's moot but Nintendo's logic of "people were looking down too much" just doesn't add up.

What makes more sense, holding up the tablet when the memory photo is on it, so you can compare it to where you are on the world map with what the photo shows. Or going to spots on the map, and then navigating a menu to look at the photo and hope it looks like where you're standing, without actually being able to see where you're standing and the photo at the same time. The Sheikah slate obviously represents the Wii U tablet and the interaction with it being used in a way that Link would actually use it would have been cool for immersion. Again, not a deal breaker but it's funny when Nintendo obviously nerfs stuff and then claims they did it to improve the game.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Yes, Sorry, in Europe Fatal Frame 5 was called Project Zero. It's a damn good horror game if that takes your thing. Enjoy.

Also, Zombi U is great and another title that makes excellent use of the gamepad.

If you've got 3D world then get that game loaded up when you've got someone else to play with. The absolute chaos that can ensue is great and makes for some of the best local multiplayer you can get.

Yea, I'm not overly familiar with Fatal Frame, even though I've played all of them (never beat any), and I even own a physical copy of 4 on the Wii, able to play it with the translation patch too, etc. They are great games though, I played the first one the most on the og XBOX and I remember being legit terrified at time, this was years after the fact too, like 2011 or something. Looking forward to playing more of FF5 at some point this winter.

LordOfChaos

It's funny, a big reason I bought a 2nd Wii U was because I was getting my wife a Switch for her birthday. I figured I'd want to play BOTW and wouldn't want to hog her system. Instead of getting two Switches it was cheaper to get a Wii U and I figured it would be the better version because of the off screen features.........LOL. I didn't know until after I had ordered it that Nintendo had removed these features. They totally nerfed that aspect of the game. it's still fine but it makes no sense that they removed the map, etc on the tablet. I actually play the game more in offscreen mode so it's moot but Nintendo's logic of "people were looking down too much" just doesn't add up.

What makes more sense, holding up the tablet when the memory photo is on it, so you can compare it to where you are on the world map with what the photo shows. Or going to spots on the map, and then navigating a menu to look at the photo and hope it looks like where you're standing, without actually being able to see where you're standing and the photo at the same time. The Sheikah slate obviously represents the Wii U tablet and the interaction with it being used in a way that Link would actually use it would have been cool for immersion. Again, not a deal breaker but it's funny when Nintendo obviously nerfs stuff and then claims they did it to improve the game.

Oh it was such an obvious nerf. 100 hours into the game and I still fumble through the + and - buttons to find the thing I'm looking for. Soo much better than just having the map on the screen, right? /s

This interview just pisses me off now lol
"So it'll be out next year for sure, right?" delayed it to coincide with the switch while the Wii U build was months old at launch
The removed gamepad features shown
I'm almost positive there was a graphics nerf, and the Korok forest still runs at 20fps, if they performed similar at launch I think the Switch probably got more optimization over time
"horses don't run into trees in real life" is a funny one

Nothing game breaking, and we did get it on Wii U, and it's entirely playable and largely the same. But it is a bit annoying that this was being held up as "just one game can turn around a system", only to have it delayed and nerfed on the Wii U to launch the Switch with it, they knew they were giving up on the Wii U just halfway into its short four year life I think.

Last edited:

Boss Man

I still have one hooked up in my living room. HD Nintendo games and full Wii BC with motion controls is great for entertaining guests. I actually skipped the Switch because I have no use for the portability. Judging by sales, I guess I’m definitely not a typical Nintendo user lol.

Looking back, the one thing it lacks is a proper 3D Mario game like Odyssey.

Last edited:
Still have my Wind Waker edition WiiU. Ahh, memories.

bundle-beauty.original.jpg

I love me some Wii U. Got it at launch. Its exclusives trounced anything on Xbox/Playstation for the first like 3-4 years imo.
Its a shame it didnt catch on. I had way more games for Wii U than i've bought for Switch.

Nester99

Still have mine (typically sell all my old consoles)
Really just keeping it to play the Launch version of XB X i just cant seem to find time to open up.

I even have the WII XB 1 version i bough but never played (Definitive edition is in my switch right now)

Why do i do the things i do...

BigBooper

It was a good system at the time. Playing all Wii games and having great exclusives of it's own. Now though, I don't know why anyone would. You can get better versions of it's exclusives on Switch, and you can buy a Wii to play your Wii games real cheap. Seems like an odd decision, but I dig it.

One game that has not had as great a port is Mario Maker. It made fantastic use of the gamepad.

TLZ

Banned
I actually got a Wii U on launch day and I was the first to post on here how Wii games were given a boost in resolution, lol. That being said, I sold the console probably within a years time but not because I didn't like it, I wasn't gaming as much and didn't have the funds to buy new games.

Flash forward a few years, I always wanted to get another one because of how much I loved ZombiU. Long story short, ended up getting one for ZombiU and BOTW, I'm now like 10+ games in and I cannot stop playing this thing. The Wii U is an amazing console, by any standard.

A few things I'd like to bring up,

Xenoblade Chronicles X is frigging amazing, the UI is fine, the OST is awesome, and the game isn't nearly as overwhelming as people make it out to be. Just gotta explore the menus a bit to see all the things you can upgrade, etc.

Paper Mario: Color Splash.....it should be considered criminal the way this game is trashed on the internet. It's so good! The music, the art style, gameplay, etc. So many people complain about the battle system menus, YOU CAN TURN OFF THE TOUCH CONTROLS. I dunno, I play this game for about an hour each night in bed and I am just loving it.

The tablet, why do people hate this thing? Yes, it's bulky and ugly, it's also a frigging tablet built into a game controller, I don't know what people expected it to look like? It's comfy as hell to me.

Playing Wii games on the tablet is a complete game changer, at least for Skyward Sword it is. It seems so insanely silly to think that playing a Wii game on a tiny screen would be a good experience but holy smokes, it really is! lol. Skyward Sword looks frigging amazing on the small screen and it's super responsive control-wise. I can't wait to try out Metroid Prime Trilogy.

I could go on and on but man, the Wii U is such an awesome system. I'm just blown away at all the stuff I missed out on and am glad I have the income now to where I can spend money on the Wii U in 2020, lol.
Yes. It's a lovely piece of tech and has good games. We still play it to this day. Says a lot that its games are all ported to the Switch.

Also, it doesn't suffer from QC issues the Switch has; Joycon drift, signal drops, broken rails etc.

This console has gained Dreamcast status for me.

lachesis

I also still have launch day Wii U. Think I have about a dozen games for it.
I love holding the controller - despite its size and all, it's pretty comfy to hold, due to it's thickness and all.
Recently bought Ninja Gaiden 3 RE, Bayonetta 1 & 2 and that Atlus/Nintendo #FE game.

Xenoblade X is another game that I am considering getting it - but I have this feeling that it may get released on Switch, and I have yet to play Xenoblade Definitive Edition to see if I like the game at all. The system looks quite complicated, so I'm little afraid to dive in just yet...

Sw0pDiller

I just got kirby and the rainbow paintbrush for my wiiu. Kinda collecting the "gems" for the system and my kids love it. Have about 5 vc wii games and 4 vc super nes games. And those play really good on the small screen. I bought one wind waker version new but sold it a couple of years later. I now own my 2nd one (second hand) for about three years now and I still play it. These nintendo games just don't show age somehow.

Chastten

Banned
Xenoblade Chronicles X is one of the best games of that generation. Discovering that world on foot is amazing, and to do it again while flying your ARES 90 and blasting everything to tiny bits is even better. 5 years later I still haven't found a game that did exploration better. Would really love a remake on Switch as I no longer have the Wii U hooked up.

That being said, the Wii U was a neat little console. I only have about 20 games on it and all but 5-6 of them have now been ported or given direct sequels on Switch, but whatever. The tablet controller was friggin comfortable.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Love mine. Mostly use it for homebrew these days

What do you do on it? I hope it keeps getting support and even becomes a Dreamcast like situation where it got new games even till a few years ago. Even the full Wii U SDK leaked. Nintendo has ninja lawyers, but they have not cared enough for the Wii U to patch its stupid simple exploits either.

GAMETA

Banned
I sold mine (with more than 60 games, counting from first party games to indies to Virtual Console titles) for a fairly good price a couple of months ago.

It's a great console. It is a bit slow, if you ask me, the amount of time it takes to boot and to go through the menus is a bit too much, but it had amazing games.

The WiiU Pro Controllers were also great, one of them stayed alive for more than 6 years of constant use... the gamepad not so much, by the end of its days the battery was dead and the analogs gone.

Compared to the Switch I do think the Switch is a much better console in general, but the WiiU had its charm. I heard it's great as an emulation machine too, maybe not so much anymore with Series X/S hehe, but still...

I hope you enjoy it! :)

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Xenoblade Chronicles X is the best Xenoblade.

tenor.gif

You're mostly wrong, but also partially right. Some of it's elements outshine the other games in the series, most notably the scale of the world, freedom and exploration but that main storyline and the generic build-a-character main just drags it down from the lofty heights it could have reached. Combat is better than 1, but not as good as 2 or Torna and the soundtrack is on balance the weakest of them, although that isn't to say it's not great, because it is really damn good

I mean, this track just get's me pumped every time

Even if it was usually the precursor to my getting curb stomped by a tyrant

Top Bottom