• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bought a Switch OLED: Recommend Me Some Games!

Karmic Raze

Yeah, so I copped a white Switch OLED from Amazon and it’ll be here Tuesday. I wasn’t able to get a game just yet, but from when I had a Switch Lite two years ago, I still have access to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Bayonetta (1) since they were digital copies. I saw that there was a eShop sale going on for New Year’s, but when does that end? I’d have like $40-50 by Sunday/Monday to spend on a game. Can you recommend something from the eShop (sale or not) in that price range or just in general that costs that much? Or just recommend any good games irregardless. I’ll have more money by next week, so I could get a full priced game by then. I could get one this week, but I need to get that $20 Switch OLED case/screen protector combo first. Thanks for the help. As for what kind of games I like? I like platformers, fighting games, racing games, adventure games, etc. I’m not too picky. About the only thing I don’t like is turned based RPGs and strategy games, but I have started to ease up on the turned based RPGs as of late. Yakuza: Like A Dragon kinda enlightened me about that genre.

Anyways, recommend away! I’m really excited to get my Switch OLED and start collecting great games and playing them of course! Thank you guys so much! :messenger_savoring:

Mister Wolf

Xenoblade_Chronicles_2.jpg

Play Xenoblade 1 DE as well. Its not as good as 2 so its like a 9 out of 10.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Monster Hunter Rise
Mario Kart 8 (I mean of course)
Mario Odessey

Those are the 3 I would always advise, pretty much anyone will have a great time with any of them

Karmic Raze

I’ve had Super Mario Odyssey beaten right in front of me, so that’s no good for me. Mario Kart 8 still interests me, but I did play it a lot before. Monster Hunter Rise could be good. I’ll check into Xenoblade Chronicles too. Does anyone know if Daemon X Machina is any good? I was checking it out the other day and it looked pretty cool.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Have you ever played Doom 3? If not get the Remaster. Great game, and a good port.

That game is nonstop darks and blacks and really sings on that screen.

Luigi's Mansion 3 is an all-around great game and also looks incredible on the screen.

Metroid Dread is also an excellent game that looks fantastic on that screen. It released day and date with the SOLED so Nintendo knew what they were doing there.

Last edited:
Shantae and the Seven Sirens is a great platformer / metroidvania for the switch. I enjoyed it.

Golf Story is a good golf rpg game.

As others have said you cant go wrong with xenoblade 2.

Last edited:

Y0ssarian

Banned
Ok then I’m gonna highjack your post by asking my own question

I never played a Pokémon game in my life what should I play on the switch
You could wait for Pokemon Legends Arceus. It comes out this month. Sword/Shield & Diamond/Pearl are fine, but you're in a good position to start fresh with Arceus

Karmic Raze

Is that Split Pad Pro compatible with the Switch OLED? I’m assuming so? It looks cool. Seen it before and wanted it. Definitely going to do most of my gaming in handheld mode, so it’d be a good buy. Also, are there any special cases that’ll accommodate that Split Pad Pro and the Switch OLED?

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

Ok then I’m gonna highjack your post by asking my own question

I never played a Pokémon game in my life what should I play on the switch
none worth it on the Switch hopefully Arceus is decent not holding my breath tho.

Usually I have a list of games in mind before I buy a console it's strange there's always so many "I just bough this thing now someone tell me what ever do i do with it??" posts . But yeah theres some good suggestions in here.

Jorav

Deadcells is my most played game on switch. Cuphead and Hades are good too. Tetris 99 is also fun.

sinnergy

Mortal Kombat snes
Megaman Gameboy
Donkey Kong CoutrySNES
Super Metroid
Mario 64
Rogue Squadron NGC
Perfect Dark
Halo
Gran Tourismo

Last edited:

Kuranghi

All the obvious stuff has been recommended, smaller titles I loved:

* The Stretchers
* Good Job!
* The Touryst

All those are under £20 I think.

BOTW
Links Awakening
SM Odyssey
Metroid Dread
Luigi’s Mansion 3
Smash Bros Ultimate
MK 8 Deluxe
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 + Torna
Bayonetta 1-2
Monster Hunter Rise
Astral Chain
Dragon Quest XI
Octopath Travellers

Last edited:

Karmic Raze

Thank you all for the recommendations! I really appreciate each and every one of you! :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

EDIT: Since I could get it for $37.29 shipped, I went ahead and picked up Cruis’n Blast. I haven’t played a Cruis’n game since Cruis’n USA on the N64, but I LOVED that game so freaking much. I really hope this game is just as awesome! I have BOTW and Bayonetta 1 (most likely) still in my account from when I owned a Switch Lite two years ago, and I never really played either very much. So that’s 3 games to start me out. I’ll look into all of these recommendations going forward for purchases. At the beginning of next month, I’d love to get my hands on the Special Edition of Metroid Dread. Other than toying around with a demo of Metroid Prime, I’ve never played a Metroid game in my life. Pretty crazy, right?

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

I can recommend some of my favorite games on the system:

• Metroid Dread - Must own, amazing game, if you like metroidvania is a no-brainer;
  • Fire Emblem Three Houses - Never played the series, I used to play Vandal Hearts and Final Fantasy Tatics on PS1 e Joenne Dark on PSP and love the genre, incredible game;
  • Mario Odyssey - Need no comment;
  • Bayonetta 2 - Love the series, didn't have a WiiU, a lot of fun;
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe / Super Smash Bros Ultimate / Mario Party All-stars - Those are friends magnets, the ultimate couch multiplayer experience;
  • Luigi's Mansion 3 - never played the series, charming and fun game, one of the best visuals on Switch;

My Switch is also my indie machine, a lot of great games from small studios and some big.
  • Hollow Knight;
  • The Messenger;
  • Celeste;
  • Katana Zero;
  • Hades;
  • Cuphead;
  • Ori 1 & 2;
  • Darkest Dungeon
  • Greak;
  • The Mummy Remastered;
  • The Binding of Isaac;
  • Ender Lilies;
  • Dead Cells.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
high jacking this post again

should i get a switch pro controller or use my extra Dualsense

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
So it's been about two years since you had a Switch? Honestly, there have been so many great games on the Switch released over the past two years it would be a better question to ask "which recent Switch games shouldn't I get?" :D

But seriously, for me I'd say recent notable games I wouldn't want to live without are:

Mario Golf: Super Rush
Bravely Default 2
Eastward (this also came out on PC...)
Mario Party Superstars (if you have family)
And of course the titan, Animal Crossing: New Horizons

high jacking this post again

should i get a switch pro controller or use my extra Dualsense

Either works, but the nice thing about the Pro Controller is that the battery lasts for a very, very long time.

Last edited:

Karmic Raze

Who has the Hori SplitPad Pro? I just found out there was more versions other than the original Daemon X Machina version. I had no idea! I definitely want one when I get the extra cash. Thinking about just opting for the red one although the new Pokémon version or Sonic one both look really cool.

Ulysses 31

Who has the Hori SplitPad Pro? I just found out there was more versions other than the original Daemon X Machina version. I had no idea! I definitely want one when I get the extra cash. Thinking about just opting for the red one although the new Pokémon version or Sonic one both look really cool.
I have them, they're way better than joy-cons. Only downside is no motion controls.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
FAST RMX
QUAKE
Doom 1,2,3 64
Sword of Ditto
Hyper light drifter
Horizon Chase Turbo
Jotun
Rocket League

Wario ware

Last edited: