• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 3 removing Cross-Play for Playstation Platforms

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Some of you are so weird.. it's a useful feature for Playstation gamers.. it can make any multiplayer game better, and actually keep them alive longer, as less-than-popular games tend to sort of hit a point where the numbers fall even faster once they reach a threshold, and that threshold would take longer to hit. Good for gamers, good for game devs...

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Agreed.

Sony supported cross play for several generations ahead of the competition with shit like Everquest, FFXI, DC Universe etc From PS2, PSP, Vita, PS3, PS4 etc. No one gave a shit, yet suddenly Sony says no to a few games and now Cross play is the G.O.A.T lol When the generation started and they literally had several games cross play, no one really gave a shit and it wasn't some massive deal breaker or anything remotely like that.

Several on that list are cross play. They bring up Cross play ZERO TIMES, but shit, its just a list, lets look at a review of that launch in general.

https://kotaku.com/all-24-of-the-ps4s-launch-games-reviewed-1464421841

The word cross play is not stated once, but shit...they don't even bring up the fact that several of those games can be played with PC players even if they don't say the damn term. So how fucking important was it that you could play with different install bases with Warthunder, Warframe? Clearly not that important, but suddenly its not a deal breaker when no one said shit about this when they literally launched with cross play titles. Those articles show clearly, it wasn't a hot topic, it wasn't a big deal, it wasn't some revolutionary idea and it wasn't some massive issue.
No one actually cares about crossplay. When it's there they don't notice it or even ask about it.

This thread was started by a massive Xbox fanboy just to get a hit thread against Sony. Suddenly all the Xboxers have "friends" playing Borderlands 3 on PS4/PS5. If all your friends are on PS then just get one lol. You couldn't convince them to get an Xbox???

Last edited:
Sony crying all the way to the bank. The truth is, cross play is just like B/C. It's a nice feature to have, but no one truly cares about it or allows it to influence their decision on buying a console. The only time anyone cares about either is when it can be used in console wars. It's why, even if Sony doesn't reverse this policy, the PS5 is going to outsell the XSX by at least 2:1.

- Different play field, unfair advantages or disadvantages.
- Unfair monetization across different platforms.
- Cheaters / Malicious code.
- Removed choice for players (you are forced to be into crossplay in most if not all games)

I can go on... all the issues with Crossplay where already explained dozen of times.

1 - already happens even if you don’t have crossplay on. Base PS4, PS4 Pro, PS5. Base Xbone, Scorpio, X|S. And as always, PC has countless different configurations.

2 - LOL what is “unfair monetization”

3 - cheaters exist with or without crossplay. It’s very rare that you find cheaters on live servers in a game you can also play on console. Mostly because cheaters aren’t wasting time there, they’re cheating in League or Valorant or CS.

4 - I can’t think of a single game where you are forced into crossplay. Then again as someone pointed out earlier and someone sent me the link, you’ve been proven in the past to be a liar with no shame when it comes to defending Sony regarding crossplay. So no one is surprised by this whack ass list of reasons you pulled from your ass.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Sony is really doing everything it can to steal the title of "bad guy" from MS this gen. Smh
- trying to shut down vita store
- deceive consumers with implication that God of War will release in 2021
- deceive consumers by exaggerating commitment to non-crossgen games
- prevent crossplay
- failing to deliver a simple Bloodborne patch despite fan outcry
- why were they trying to moneyhat everything when they were already stomping on Microsoft??

Sony is straight up awful now. They're in a fantastic position, but it's all coasting off the previous gen. That includes all the great games already in development.

They're going down a bad path and you can already feel people turning on them. I've been playing Playstation all my life. I don't have some weird allegiance to xbox or unfair bias against Sony. I just see the tides shifting and a lot of people who aren't ready to admit it.

zaanan

Banned
Historically. Cool. They're also a different company than before and are very open source and linux friendly. MS under Satya is very different under Gates or Balmer. It's still irrelevant to pull up what MS did 10 years ago compared to what EVERYONE ELSE IN THE INDUSTRY is doing now
Sure, kid. How a company got started, established market dominance, and did business for decades has zero relevancy to any discussion about what said company is doing now.
5RmvkrV.gif

Are schools even teaching critical thinking skills anymore?
XOD84YK.jpg

93xfan

Banned
- Different play field, unfair advantages or disadvantages.
- Unfair monetization across different platforms.
- Cheaters / Malicious code.
- Removed choice for players (you are forced to be into crossplay in most if not all games)

I can go on... all the issues with Crossplay where already explained dozen of times.

These disadvantages are gone if PC is out of the picture, correct? Just curious

93xfan

Banned
- trying to shut down vita store
- deceive consumers with implication that God of War will release in 2021
- deceive consumers by exaggerating commitment to non-crossgen games
- prevent crossplay
- failing to deliver a simple Bloodborne patch despite fan outcry
- why were they trying to moneyhat everything when they were already stomping on Microsoft??

Sony is straight up awful now. They're in a fantastic position, but it's all coasting off the previous gen. That includes all the great games already in development.

They're going down a bad path and you can already feel people turning on them. I've been playing Playstation all my life. I don't have some weird allegiance to xbox or unfair bias against Sony. I just see the tides shifting and a lot of people who aren't ready to admit it.

Been a PlayStation fan for a long time as well. It’s funny you didn’t even list my biggest gripes . BC and Socom.

EDMIX

EverQuest? What are you talking about? The PS2 EverQuest was a game called EverQuest Online Adventures that was COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than the PC game (it was set 500 years earlier) and was only on the PS2 and no other platform.

Correct. Edited in post. Point made regardless. Its existed on several platforms by them.

FranXico

Who publishes Borderlands 3 on PS4/5?

2K.

Did anyone reach them to ask what the issue is?

I see Rocket League still has cross-play, so I take it the sky isn't falling yet.

Sony’s arrogance towards consumers is what will have it coasting into last place by the end of this generation and into the next
Their fanbase is no different from the die hard apple fanboys. They can spin anything negative, into something "positive" for them.

"This year's new iphone has a smaller battery and no charger included!"

ethomaz ethomaz - This is amazing! Now my phone can charge in less time, even if it dies 2x as fast now! I'll just buy an expensive charger from Apple, they deserve even more of my money!

Mr.ODST

No one actually cares about crossplay. When it's there they don't notice it or even ask about it.

This thread was started by a massive Xbox fanboy just to get a hit thread against Sony. Suddenly all the Xboxers have "friends" playing Borderlands 3 on PS4/PS5. If all your friends are on PS then just get one lol. You couldn't convince them to get an Xbox???
Think id get your facts right im not a massive xbox fanboy when PS5 is my main console, need to take your tongue out of Sony's arse cause cross play is widely requested

Mr.ODST

1 - already happens even if you don’t have crossplay on. Base PS4, PS4 Pro, PS5. Base Xbone, Scorpio, X|S. And as always, PC has countless different configurations.

3 - cheaters exist with or without crossplay. It’s very rare that you find cheaters on live servers in a game you can also play on console. Mostly because cheaters aren’t wasting time there, they’re cheating in League or Valorant or CS.

4 - I can’t think of a single game where you are forced into crossplay. Then again as someone pointed out earlier and someone sent me the link, you’ve been proven in the past to be a liar with no shame when it comes to defending Sony regarding crossplay. So no one is surprised by this whack ass list of reasons you pulled from your ass.
Remember I think someone on here tried taking on a Microsoft Engineer about his own work and firmly got demolished

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member

What the Jim-Ryan-Circle-Jerk-Of-Fuckery is this?

Reminds of when the usual suspects claimed no one cares about backwards compatibility... and then Sony stepped up their BC game, and suddenly backwards compatibility is important.
Reminds of when the usual suspects claimed no one cares about improving last-gen games... and then Sony patched a handful of their first party titles, and suddenly making last-gen games better is important.
Reminds of when the usual suspects claimed cross-gen games are bad... and then Sony revealed several of its titles are cross-gen, and suddenly cross-gen games make business sense.
Reminds of when the usual suspects claimed no one cares about peripheral cross-compatibility... and then Sony revealed some PS4 accessories work on PS5, and suddenly peripheral cross-compatibility is important.

Cross play is important. There is not one gamer-beneficial reason for its absence in 2021. If Sony opposes cross play, then fuck Sony. Any other opinion is nothing more than fan-boy corporate apologetics that should be called out and shamed.

Zoro7

Banned
Some of you are so weird.. it's a useful feature for Playstation gamers.. it can make any multiplayer game better, and actually keep them alive longer, as less-than-popular games tend to sort of hit a point where the numbers fall even faster once they reach a threshold, and that threshold would take longer to hit. Good for gamers, good for game devs...
Any cross play game with PC is not better, it’s worse. I turn that shit off immediately.

HoodWinked

This is an interesting situation because this is a greed vs greed situation. Sony wants more money vs gearbox doesn't want to be shaken down.

The terms Sony has made are so unconventional that most would side against it so gearbox has the leverage to build support.

MS has pushed the hardest for cross play because they know it's a trojan horse to chip away at market share.

Ya it makes sense Sony would try to protect thier lead but I feel like now that cross play is here you can't put it back in the bottle. Crossplay really should be treated as a "Geneva convention" of sorts. It should be at the discretion of the developers not influenced by weird terms of the platform holders.

Murdoch

I got the ultimate version of this game on Stadia at a steal for £1.19 back in December. I hope crossplay comes to that platform so I can finally make some use of the game in co-op because the Stadia co-op scene is dead as a dodo.

anthony2690

Banned
IF* Sony really is blocking crossplay unless you pay them, they are honestly holding games back.

Because when I see a fighting game, all I think about it how they should have 1. Ggpo & 2. Crossplay

Fighting games are not as popular as other genres and it would keep the community healthy for this genre.

Doesn't bode well for the upcoming melty blood, what I can imagine will have a small user base on each platform.

* if this is actually sonys fault.

Roxkis_ii

As a Playstation owner, I could care less about cross-play. Not having cross-play with pc actually makes most games better and it's just completely unnecessary to have cross play with Xbox.

It's just hilarious how badly all theses Xbox fans want cross-play with Playstation. Yaw go, play with your lil Xbox friends and leave Playstation out of it.

MurfHey

I really think we should pump the breaks on this one. Sure if sony is actually stopping them that's super scummy. This could just be a bug in the patch which is why he mentioned certs.

I'm all for yelling from the rooftops at sony if they are blocking this, becuse for real its 2021. People have friends on all platforms and not everyone has resources to buy all 3 platforms. Its time to open the gaming borders.

Like I said, if it turns out this is all on sony being scummy let's make them know they are wrong, but let's wait and get the full story before we start flame wars.

MurfHey

As a Playstation owner, I could care less about cross-play. Not having cross-play with pc actually makes most games better and it's just completely unnecessary to have cross play with Xbox.

It's just hilarious how badly all theses Xbox fans want cross-play with Playstation. Yaw go, play with your lil Xbox friends and leave Playstation out of it.
Cross play has a crap ton of benefits. I primary game on PS5 with xcloud and switch on the side. The fact that crossplay can increase the playerbase is the most important thing thing to me. Increasing the longevity of the game is key.

Where crossplay goes wrong is when it's half backed. No communication is the biggest deal breaker to me. I shouldn't have to use another application to talk to someone.

But crossplay is in no way "unnecessary ".

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Great news... I hope more publishers/developers follow the same.

I hope so as well.

Make Sony bleed their wallet over this shit. Even if its a tiny bit it's still shitty that Sony charges devs for shit like this.

So yeah, I hope more developers follow the same.

Finally something we can agree on for once!
just kidding I know you do it to defend Sony like always.

Roxkis_ii

Cross play has a crap ton of benefits. I primary game on PS5 with xcloud and switch on the side. The fact that crossplay can increase the playerbase is the most important thing thing to me. Increasing the longevity of the game is key.

Where crossplay goes wrong is when it's half backed. No communication is the biggest deal breaker to me. I shouldn't have to use another application to talk to someone.

But crossplay is in no way "unnecessary ".
Funny how it only seems necessary to people outside the Playstation ecosystem.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Maybe that's the reason some people don't choose Sony.

I know, laugh about Sony has most players, but outside of the massive fanboy hive mind there's some people who doesn't give a shit about platform and goes after features.

Shocking i know. Its pretty uncommon on these parts.

Roxkis_ii

I know, laugh about Sony has most players, but outside of the massive fanboy hive mind there's some people who doesn't give a shit about platform and goes after features.

Having a preference is fine and dandy. Just don't cry to everyone else about the weakness in that choice.

It's like if Playstation fans made a thread complaining MS won't share their BC tech or something.

ethomaz

Banned

1. Yeap I hated the Pro model that sold the same framrate as base but never delivered but everybody here knows that I don’t like mid-gen upgrades.

2. Different prices for different platforms... or Fire sales... these with better prices have advantages in FTP or MTX focused games.

3. Cross play with PC add a lot of cheaters.

4. Most if not all games have an option just to disable crossplay on the actual session (SFV, CoD, etc)... some do rent have option at all... there is not universal option or a way to disable it forever... that is forced for me.

Crossplay be always Disabled and if the gamers wants to enable then it is his choice but not... we had to received that always enabled crossplay that in some games you can disabled by session.

It's that from the Resetera thread?
I think so yes.
The guy shared my replays and in the these the matches seems normal... except when you are playing online against PC players they created artificial lags so they are far way away from you and in the next moment they are closed you hitting... the replay will show the recorded position and not the artificial lag in my client side.

Seems like hey fixed that artificial lag in early 2020... so now it harder to PC players do it... I mean 5 years late?

Last edited:

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
I very much care about Crossplay. To the point that I swapped from Playstation (last gen) to Xbox this gen entirely because Microsoft was better about supporting Crossplay.

Just because you don't give a shit, doesn't mean plenty of consumers do.

1. Yeap I hated the Pro model that sold the same framrate as base but never delivered but everybody here knows that I don’t like mid-gen upgrades.

2. Different prices for different platforms... or Fire sales... these with better prices have advantages in FTP or MTX focused games.

3. Cross play with PC add a lot of cheaters.

4. Most if not all games have an option just to disable crossplay on the actual session (SFV, CoD, etc)... some do rent have option at all... there is not universal option or a way to disable it forever... that is forced for me.

Crossplay be always Disabled and if the gamers wants to enable then it is his choice but not... we had to received that always enabled crossplay that in some games you can disabled by session.

I think so yes.
The guy shared my replays and in the these the matches seems normal... except when you are playing online against PC players they created artificial lags so they are far way away from you and in the next moment they are closed you hitting... the replay will show the recorded position and not the artificial lag in my client side.

Seems like hey fixed that artificial lag in early 2020... so now it harder to PC players do it.
I usually incur lag with PlayStation players, as most of them are using wireless, while PC players are generally wired. But I believe they had some patches to clean up the netcode some IIRC. Haven't played it in a while, might check it out today.

ethomaz

Banned

Maybe that is why most choose choose PlayStation.

ethomaz

Banned
I usually incur lag with PlayStation players, as most of them are using wireless, while PC players are generally wired. But I believe they had some patches to clean up the netcode some IIRC. Haven't played it in a while, might check it out today.
Yeap they releases a patch in early 2020 that seems to fix artificial generated lag on PC.

Seems to work... it just I mean over fiver years for that?

In early days you could add lag with the PS button but it was so slow in PS4 that you have the chance to be beaten while doing it... it was fixed very fast... while PC you could just do a Alt + Tab very fast whatever you needed some lag on the opposite side.

Last edited:
Yeap they releases a patch in early 2020 that seems to fix artificial generated lag on PC.

Seems to work... it just I mean over fiver years for that?

In early days you could add lag with the PS button but it was so slow in PS4 that you have the chance to be beaten while doing it... it was fixed very fast... while PC you could just do a Alt + Tab very fast whatever you needed some lag on the opposite side.
LowTierGod is the best at doing that on PlayStation. He does it probably 99 times out of 100 matches, and has several accounts. People make complications of him all the time.

We should do a couple of rounds some day. I used Guile, Boxer, and Chun-li. Before I stopped played I was using G.

ethomaz

Banned
LowTierGod is the best at doing that on PlayStation. He does it probably 99 times out of 100 matches, and has several accounts. People make complications of him all the time.

We should do a couple of rounds some day. I used Guile, Boxer, and Chun-li. Before I stopped played I was using G.
Yeap let play someday I don’t have the last two years characters but that is not a issue ;)

I’m not good with zoomers :(

Last edited:

MurfHey

Regardless of the platform. Crossplsy is beneficial to everyone. Even if people don't think so, it is.

Make games crossplay but give people the option to enable/disable it.

There is no reason to not give the option, other than the dev teams not being able to do it from a tech or budget aspect.

Last edited:

elliot5

Can I remind you clowns trying to justify no crossplay because "PC players are cheaters" that Borderlands 3 is an optional co-op game, not a competitive shooter.

ethomaz

Banned
Can I remind you clowns trying to justify no crossplay because "PC players are cheaters" that Borderlands 3 is an optional co-op game, not a competitive shooter.
So do you like to play with these guys and their moded "XXX" weapons that does one hit kill everything?
I mean I report it as cheating.

Cheating it not exclusive to players vs players.... it exists in cooperative too.

jjagUs7.jpg

Last edited:

DryvBy

I'm a big PC, Nintendo and Sony guy myself. Microsoft blew it for me during the 360 era from the bad launch to the same old games over and over. That said I do enjoy crossplay because I have family on Xbox still. I basically buy any game with crossplay that looks fun now because of that feature.

Is it a deal breaker? No, but if the game has MP and has it in there I'm more likely to consider it.

Top Bottom