• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bob Iger Steps Down as Disney CEO

ManaByte

Bob Iger will step down as Disney CEO and assume the role of executive chairman, Disney announced on Tuesday.

Bob Chapek, who most recently served as chairman of Disney parks, experiences and products, will assume the role of CEO, effective immediately, Disney announced.

“With the successful launch of Disney’s direct-to-consumer businesses and the integration of Twenty-First Century Fox well underway, I believe this is the optimal time to transition to a new CEO," Iger stated.

Amid competition from Netflix, Iger prioritized the conglomerate's efforts on its own direct to consumer platforms, leading to the acquisition of streaming tech provider BAMTech in 2017 and the launch of the Disney+ platform on Nov. 12 last year.

Iger added, "I have the utmost confidence in Bob and look forward to working closely with him over the next 22 months as he assumes this new role and delves deeper into Disney’s multifaceted global businesses and operations, while I continue to focus on the Company’s creative endeavors."

Iger's contact was up next year. So he'll stay on through 2021 for the transition.

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
*Looks up Bob Chapek*

Oh shit, it's Thanos.

rO3oqEc.png

Makes sense. Transition to someone else and if the new guy doesnt work out then phase them out with a new exit stratagey in place before 2021.

HoodWinked

does this sort of stuff actually work?

when Gates stepped down no one really took Ballmer seriously and cared more about the scraps that Bill would utter from his board position. This guy has that cueball head like Ballmer so its fitting. He's just going to be continuously undermined until Iger completely leaves.

Weiji

Banned
I mean as a shareholder I’m not thrilled. I get it, the parks are super important to the company’s bottom line. But the long term future of the company is going to be determined by the success or failure of the D+ service. I feel like they should have gotten someone with a more solid tech background.

D+ is the second best streaming tech on the market, but it needs a lot of work to catch up to netflix. And Disney needs a lot more content on the service as well.

kunonabi

What's the era people here regard as the "golden age of Disney"? Just curious.

I can't speak to it financially but artistically i'd say 85-95. Both the animation and live-action stuff were really good. Consistent quality falls off a cliff starting after that.

Return to Oz
The Great Mouse Detective
Flight of the Navigator
Oliver & Company
Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
The Little Mermaid
Ducktales the Movie
The Rescuers Down Under
The Rocketeer
Beauty and the Beast
The Mighty Ducks
Aladdin
A Far Off Place
Hocus Pocus
Cool Runnings
Iron Will
The Lion King
A Goofy Movie
Toy Story

37 to 55 is obviously in the discussion too

Snow White
Pinocchio
Fantasia
Dumbo
Bambi
The Three Cabelleros
Song of the South(it's good, screw off)
Cinderella
Treasure Island
The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad
Alice in Wonderland
Peter Pan
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Lady and the Tramp

Last edited:
I can't speak to it financially but artistically i'd say 85-95. Both the animation and live-action stuff were really good. Consistent quality falls off a cliff starting after that.

Return to Oz
Flight of the Navigator
Oliver & Company
Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
The Little Mermaid
Ducktales the Movie
The Rescuers Down Under
The Rocketeer
Beauty and the Beast
The Might Ducks
Aladdin
A Far Off Place
Hocus Pocus
Cool Runnings
Iron Will
The Lion King
A Goofy Movie
Toy Story

Snow White
Pinocchio
Fantasia
Dumbo
Bambi
The Three Cabelleros
Cinderella
Treasure Island
Alice in Wonderland
Peter Pan
Lady and the Tramp

That is a selection after my heart. Wonderful. :messenger_heart:

JordanN

Banned
Michael Eisner still best Disney CEO
2D Animated Movies died under his watch, and he nearly let Pixar slip out of their hands.

He also pissed off a certain employee that led to the creation of their rival (Dreamworks).

Last edited:

GamingKaiju

Return to Oz
Flight of the Navigator
Oliver & Company
Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
The Little Mermaid
Ducktales the Movie
The Rescuers Down Under
The Rocketeer
Beauty and the Beast
The Mighty Ducks
Aladdin
A Far Off Place
Hocus Pocus
Cool Runnings
Iron Will
The Lion King
A Goofy Movie
Toy Story

Snow White
Pinocchio
Fantasia
Dumbo
Bambi
The Three Cabelleros
Cinderella
Treasure Island
Alice in Wonderland
Peter Pan
Lady and the Tramp

I loved Duck Tales as a kid such a great film/series.

sol_bad

I think Iger has done an amazing job with Disney. Acquiring Pixar, Marvel, Lucasfilm and Fox, launching a hugely successful streaming service. He has added so much value to the company, especially with Marvel.

I'm worried to new guy will fuck up.

I think Iger has done an amazing job with Disney. Acquiring Pixar, Marvel, Lucasfilm and Fox, launching a hugely successful streaming service. He has added so much value to the company, especially with Marvel.

Oh no he will.

For context, he approved this:

GOTG_ride_%2834404621430%29.jpg

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned

Iger overspent. he came in and just started buying things. yeah they own all the IPs now but they also spent a ton of money to acquire and then a ton of money to produce new films. budgets for things like Solo have gotten out of control. the new guy is being brought in to correct that.

IMO the Star Wars films were expected to make far more than they did. yes they earn billions but they cost billion to make, on top of the purchase price. that's an investment that won't fully pay off for years.

from a business stance it makes a lot of sense. the time to go spending billions was a decade ago. now that they have everything, time to cut the fat and rake in the money. Marvel/Disney fans might complain about budgets, but they will continue being paying customers so that is no real concern.

Last edited:

Weiji

Banned
He step down probably to make it easier to fire Kathleen Kennedy.

supposedly he’s going to spend all his time focused on the content side of the business.

he stepped down because he needs to be 100% focused on that.

presumably that means they think he needs to do that full time because there’s a problem.

I’m guessing the problem is Hulu and fox, but it might also be star wars.

kunonabi

Hollywood Reporter has thier analysis for the year up and Disney had revenue of 13 billion but only made a profit of 3.4 billion.

Which isnt bad compared to netflix and Warner but considering the crazy year they had at the box office which probably wont be repeated anytime soon that is a concern.

Bringing in a notorious penny pincher is not much of a shock at this point.

Last edited:
Yep, this reeks of leading the cash cow over a cliff (star wars).

Cunt has been forced out, let's hope he takes that fucking bitch with him.
Star Wars should have been the biggest box office in history, Literally reinventing 'going to the movies'. Instead we got the hum drum of satisfying the status quo.

I mean as a shareholder I’m not thrilled. I get it, the parks are super important to the company’s bottom line. But the long term future of the company is going to be determined by the success or failure of the D+ service. I feel like they should have gotten someone with a more solid tech background.

D+ is the second best streaming tech on the market, but it needs a lot of work to catch up to netflix. And Disney needs a lot more content on the service as well.
Disney will be fine without D+ bro. Rest assured my friend, Disney will continue to buy out the competition. What they need to do is invest more into the gaming market.

Star Wars should have been the biggest box office in history, Literally reinventing 'going to the movies'. Instead we got the hum drum of satisfying the status quo.
You should have expected that anyways because SW already completely changed the game for films in the early 80s.

sol_bad

Oh no he will.

For context, he approved this:

GOTG_ride_%2834404621430%29.jpg

What the hell is that?

Iger overspent. he came in and just started buying things. yeah they own all the IPs now but they also spent a ton of money to acquire and then a ton of money to produce new films. budgets for things like Solo have gotten out of control. the new guy is being brought in to correct that.

IMO the Star Wars films were expected to make far more than they did. yes they earn billions but they cost billion to make, on top of the purchase price. that's an investment that won't fully pay off for years.

from a business stance it makes a lot of sense. the time to go spending billions was a decade ago. now that they have everything, time to cut the fat and rake in the money. Marvel/Disney fans might complain about budgets, but they will continue being paying customers so that is no real concern.

I think you need to look beyond just Star Wars.
No the fans are not all happy with the fans but financially they are not as big a failure as some people want to believe they are.

It took Marvel studios 10 years to make their movies hit 1 billion+ per film. Star Wars is already doing that based on name only, give them 10 years and they'll have their shit all sorted out.

Hollywood Reporter has thier analysis for the year up and Disney had revenue of 13 billion but only made a profit of 3.4 billion.

Which isnt bad compared to netflix and Warner but considering the crazy year they had at the box office which probably wont be repeated anytime soon that is a concern.

Bringing in a notorious penny pincher is not much of a shock at this point.

Don't forget that there will be 4 MCU movies a year soon. Plus disney+ will open in more countries. Also, if they can release more successful movies through 20th Century Films. Fox greenlighted many stinkers over the years so Disney just need to be better at green lighting films.

Disney release some stinkers themselves but their output is generally solid. There is plenty of opportunity for them to make more money.

Top Bottom