• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bo Burnham - Inside - Coming to Netflix Soon

fatmarco

Just finished it, that was really fucking good. Some great songs in there. Really hope some of them become available to stream individually.

bitbydeath

"Private property is inherently theft"

Ok, Bo. Renounce all your claim to any property. Own nothing and be happy.

I'm waiting.
I’m not sure if it means the property owner is the thief or the government who assigned it value is stealing your money (when you purchase it) from what they never really owned.

dr_octagon

Banned
it has another level cos the sock, while being puppeted by someone, is talking about control over people. much deepeness.

bo burnham is a cunt(ry person).

Wasn’t funny. Some interesting points. I liked the stuff about the internet and what it does to people, especially young ones. His schtick about private property and little communism diatribe is tiresome though. How about you cancel that deal with Netflix and host your little special yourself then, big guy. Seems pretty capitalist to sell your “art” to a major corporation for cash. But it’s ok, because he’s a self aware hypocrite...

I watched this in a more meta way. He’s basically a micro example of what is happening to young people on a macro level. He’s a self hating white person. He makes a point of talking about how white he is and how white his childhood was as though that’s something he needs to apologize for. He goes on and on about how shitty things he did when he was a kid were just to make sure people know he’s a self aware, self hating white person. Basically “I know I’m a piece of shit, so I’m better because I’m not ignorant to my sins”. He’s got all these negative ideas about his life and about the world. Capitalism is bad. Climate change is going to kill everyone. White people suck. On and on and on.

At the same time, he’s clearly fucking miserable. Or at least he portrays himself as such. He talks a lot about killing himself and about the world ending. Pretty nihilistic. Maybe whatever worldview he’s subscribing to isn’t a healthy one. He seems to be aware of this on some level when he talks about the internet making people unhappy. But he doesn’t expand that out to his other beliefs. I do though.

I guess the little smile at the end is supposed to make up for how depressing the rest of that was. But dude, you’re thirty years old. Get your shit together and stop fucking whining. You’re not a child anymore. Grow up. That’s my take. Not a bad watch.

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
"Private property is inherently theft"

Ok, Bo. Renounce all your claim to any property. Own nothing and be happy.

I'm waiting.
What a moron. If he really believes this, then he doesn’t deserve an audience. An audience he doesn’t have probably because he’s “scared of covid” which would make him even more a moron.

bitbydeath

It’s written to be funny and not something he necessarily believes in, you should check out his other shows to get an idea of his humour.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
It’s written to be funny and not something he necessarily believes in, you should check out his other shows to get an idea of his humour.
I’ve watched numerous clips from his other shows. He come across as smug and smug rarely ever translates into humor.

And there’s no doubt in my mind he believes every political joke he says.

Decent piano player I’ll give him that much.

I’ve seen his other stuff. He’s not exactly subtle with his ideological messaging. He’s fairly clever. But he’s also either horribly depressed or he’s cynically pedaling nihilism to his fans in an attempt to be ironic. Either way, I think he believes pretty much all the messages he not-so-subtly sticks in his songs.

Most of his older stuff was way more playful and light-hearted. This was very preachy and whiny. I still enjoyed it, but not on the level he probably meant for me to. It was interesting.

O-N-E

This turd is now the 9th highest-rated thing on letterboxd.

Man, that site has a shit userbase.

bitbydeath

I’ve watched numerous clips from his other shows. He come across as smug and smug rarely ever translates into humor.

And there’s no doubt in my mind he believes every political joke he says.

Decent piano player I’ll give him that much.
It comes off as more, taking the piss, too me, but to each their own.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I’ve seen his other stuff. He’s not exactly subtle with his ideological messaging. He’s fairly clever. But he’s also either horribly depressed or he’s cynically pedaling nihilism to his fans in an attempt to be ironic. Either way, I think he believes pretty much all the messages he not-so-subtly sticks in his songs.

Most of his older stuff was way more playful and light-hearted. This was very preachy and whiny. I still enjoyed it, but not on the level he probably meant for me to. It was interesting.
White Woman’s Instagram was playful and funny.

Relativ9

Just watched it, he clearly plays a character in many if not all the songs, if anyone thinks the "private property is inherently theft" line is supposed to be taken on face value then they haven't been paying attention.

I will say though that it's not very "Haha" funny, but I think that's okey, it's still very entertaining in my opinion. I feel like it's more performance art with a quirky/comedic edge because ultimately making a point is clearly taking priority over pure humor.

B D Joe

I switched off after about 20 minutes due to the constant white guilt stuff. However I did watch the Internet song on YouTube which was well written.

I watched it with my wife who didn't laugh either but her friends found it absolutely amazing. Some 'hadn't laughed this much in ages'
Also lots of reviews say it's very much a critique of this ideology rather than endorsing them but I find that hard to believe.

To me this is like when netflix says cuties is an expose of the sexualisation and objectification of children by doing those very things itself.

Maybe I've missed the point but I'm starting to feel very out of touch in this modern world and don't understand it 😕

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Maybe I've missed the point but I'm starting to feel very out of touch in this modern world and don't understand it 😕
Well you're not alone. My wife point blank refuses to watch anything thats either.. from the 60's, 70's, 80's, black&white, horror (of any kind), anything with subs (some of the best films going), nope, most of the best comedy (absolutely hates Black adder, Red Dwarf, Monty python..), basically anything that looks bad even from the front cover of films/tv..

So it puts me in a very tight spot when trying to watch something together. So we turn to most of this new stuff on Netflix, Prime or Nowtv

And my god, most of it is complete tripe or just over the top crass for the sake of it. I'm no prude, far from it, but christ. Quite a few shows just seem written by utter children who think vulgarity is enough to carry a show because 'lol reasons'

As for films as of late, I just cant. I give up in that regard. I've spent the last two years just buying up what I think to be good films on Blu ray and will watch them in time (when I can..)

Basically, I find modern telly and film dog shit. Tonight i'll be watching Silent running, on my own.

Relativ9

Also lots of reviews say it's very much a critique of this ideology rather than endorsing them but I find that hard to believe.

To me this is like when netflix says cuties is an expose of the sexualisation and objectification of children by doing those very things itself.

The reviews are right, he is purposefully being hypocritical at every turn after saying something "woke" to point out how absurd and self-absorbed it is. His disdain doesn't target white people and promote white guilt, it makes fun of white guilt, how "allies" have managed to make a social movement about the mistreatment of minorities (whether it's well founded or not isn't the point) about themselves. The "sockpuppet" rant is a commentary on the narrative that's being pushed by various "intellectuals" in the media and on universities, he even explicitly uses their well known and common buzzwords...the fact that everything is being said by a literal puppet is not accidental. The puppet spouses a bunch of different conspiracy theories some of which are classic "woke" others which are decidedly alt-right (pedophile ring in the upper echelons of government), the message here isn't that these ideologies are true, the message is that the people espousing and believing them are puppets for something else and when they get out of line and stop serving their purpose they will eventually be put down (the violent removal of the sock).

B D Joe

Well you're not alone. My wife point blank refuses to watch anything thats either.. from the 60's, 70's, 80's, black&white, horror (of any kind), anything with subs (some of the best films going), nope, most of the best comedy (absolutely hates Black adder, Red Dwarf, Monty python..), basically anything that looks bad even from the front cover of films/tv..

So it puts me in a very tight spot when trying to watch something together. So we turn to most of this new stuff on Netflix, Prime or Nowtv

And my god, most of it is complete tripe or just over the top crass for the sake of it. I'm no prude, far from it, but christ. Quite a few shows just seem written by utter children who think vulgarity is enough to carry a show because 'lol reasons'

As for films as of late, I just cant. I give up in that regard. I've spent the last two years just buying up what I think to be good films on Blu ray and will watch them in time (when I can..)

Basically, I find modern telly and film dog shit. Tonight i'll be watching Silent running, on my own.

Yeah maybe I've missed the subtly of Bo , it's certainly very subjective it seems giving mixed reviews and people's different takes.

Fully agree about netflix as I can't handle most of their original content. Luckily my wife will watch older movies with me and I do love watching a lot of B&W films on YouTube.
It was a more grown up era it seems to me.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I liked his Burrito song from one of the other specials but this guy has some sever depression and anxiety. I hope he gets better. He wrote that terrible movie Promising Young WOmen, which was awful revenge fantasy. One of the worst movies I have ever skipped through.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
It was a more grown up era it seems to me.
Pretty much, it seems that now most TV is catered towards some form of low attention span. It used to make me laugh in work, I work within a mainly female dominant enviroment, if you brought up anything to do with media that had a bit of thought behined it i'd get blank looks, Love island?

All over it. No wonder telly sucks.

Relativ9

Pretty much, it seems that now most TV is catered towards some form of low attention span. It used to make me laugh in work, I work within a mainly female dominant enviroment, if you brought up anything to do with media that had a bit of thought behined it i'd get blank looks, Love island?

All over it. No wonder telly sucks.
TV is focused on serving the advertisers, this has always been the case, what has changed is who the advertisers want to serve. It stopped being "dad who has the large paycheck" and started being "super consumer single women aged 20-35" because they figured out no other group was as easy to influence and given that 50% of all products is purchased by a 10% minority of super consumers and women make up about 85% of all consumers dollar for dollar, it makes sense to focus all your efforts on that small group. To find programming more catered to adult males you therefore have to go to subscription services free of advertising, though even here (due to product integration) the ever-encroaching tide of single-woman focused programming is now taking over Netflix as well.

The only small victory/respite we have is that increasingly young women are starting to have similar interests/preferences to a lot of what used to be classically male themes and genera (what Marvel has tapped into). But the times of something like The West Wing/Oz/Sopranos/The Wire being mainstream is sadly probably forever lost...Chernobyl got pretty big though so perhaps there's hope.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
TV is focused on serving the advertisers, this has always been the case, what has changed is who the advertisers want to serve. It stopped being "dad who has the large paycheck" and started being "super consumer single women aged 20-35" because they figured out no other group was as easy to influence and given that 50% of all products is purchased by a 10% minority of super consumers and women make up about 85% of all consumers dollar for dollar, it makes sense to focus all your efforts on that small group. To find programming more catered to adult males you therefore have to go to subscription services free of advertising, though even here (due to product integration) the ever-encroaching tide of single-woman focused programming is now taking over Netflix as well.

The only small victory/respite we have is that increasingly young women are starting to have similar interests/preferences to a lot of what used to be classically male themes and genera (what Marvel has tapped into). But the times of something like The West Wing/Oz/Sopranos/The Wire being mainstream is sadly probably forever lost...Chernobyl got pretty big though so perhaps there's hope.
Excellent post, and how very, sadly, true.

Mossybrew

I had never watched anything by this dude but saw a couple of recommendations, tried to watch it but nobody warned me its basically a musical. I kept wondering when the comedy part was going to start, fast forwarded a few times, just more cringe singing, gave up on it, this guy's style just doesn't work for me.

CloudNull

Banned
Finally got around to watching this. Nowhere near as good as his other specials but I respect his hustle. I only laughed like once.

It’s getting harder for comedians to stay relevant in this unique time so good on him for getting this out. Hopefully he finds away to get out of his depression.

Zeroing

Banned
reviews said it’s a comedy -
It’s not a comedy,

reviews say it was a documentary- it’s not a documentary, it’s not a self introspection film about himself either.

all I saw was acting! Maybe I’ve watch too many documentaries and comedy specials…

dr_octagon

Banned
sometimes it isn't actually anything other than an observation or criticism. not everything is imbued with a thoughtful, unique or genuine message. there is obviously an audience on social issues so those topics are easy ways to generate interest.

it can just be 'this is stupid or let's make fun of this' and there is a place for that. the guy is definitely talented and entertaining, i dunno about being a great comedian.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
My girlfriend loves this dude’s comedy. I cannot stand him unless I am heavily intoxicated.
His special making it to Netflix is bad news for me.

Top Bottom