• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bluepoint to remake several METAL GEAR titles exclusively for PS5 due to Sony/Konami partnership | FF7R for PS5 & PC soon

The purist in me is fine with the original games that I remember and thinks all we really need is that 2011 HD collection ported to modern systems.

But they are all showing their age and I also would like future generations to experience these games and remasters would be best for that, I do feel like MGS3 would really benefit from a remaster given all it's jungle environments, 2 has aged the best though given it's entirely set in man made environments and I want to say leave it alone except the characters faces are certainly pretty dated.

So I don't know, I will say though that even if Remasters come out I wouldn't consider them a total replacement for the originals and would still revisit the originals from time to time.

Azurro

Banned
Yeah, but this is moving the goalposts. A Sony MSX computer is not associated with the PlayStation branding.

You are arguing technicalities, MGS became huge thanks to PlayStation. The franchise has had exclusives and timed exclusives with Sony, while the company has remained so close to its creator that they funded his game at his new studio.

This isn't FIFA, ever since the franchise hit it big, it's been associated with PlayStation.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I just replayed 2 and 3. They still hold up in an utterly fantastic way, but are beginning to show signs of aging.

There are certainly elements that could be improved. Particularly with Snake Eater as others have mentioned. Assuming it does't wreck the balance of the game, it would be great to have more inter-connectivity between the sections of the forest, or even big shell. Not only could you eliminate loading screens, but that also allows for more dynamic gameplay, assuming your status isn't essentially reset every time you enter a new section. Guards could actually utilize the space in the same way as you do and hunt you down in a much more intimidating manner. That could either make the game drastically more fun or ruin the balance, but who knows until they try it.

There is also the obvious matter of cleaning up the UI and survival elements. Let us switch camo from a quick menu, or hell, even adopt the camo-suit from MGS4 if you're feeling bold, which is essentially just a less clunky version of what we have in Snake Eater.I'd even argue that it's easier to accept another advanced piece of tech like the camo-suit, during the Cold War, than it is to accept that Snake is constantly ruffling through his bag, in the grass, to pull another outfit out of his pocket and dress himself, in the dirt.

Lastly, the other day, I saw an interpretation of The Big Shell with ray-tracing applied and it made a drastic difference. So even with small, modern tweaks, there is a lot they could do to improve these games, without a drastic overhaul.

no kojima ? :messenger_beaming:

No need for him. The game would get an overhaul, not a brand new story. And even if it did, id wish someother than Kojima to work on it mainly because id like to see it in hands of someone enthusiastic about the product and not someone that hated working on the title since MGS 2.

MGS 1 and even MGS 2 I understand but,...why would any of the others need a remake? They play perfectly fine; a remaster for those and maybe a few QoL options would be plenty enough IMO.

Like the RE4 remake, it sounds unnecessary and kinda cash-grabby. That energy could be better spent on a, 'ya know, Metal Gear Solid 6. I personally would love to see Bluepoint do a new original IP as they clearly have the talent. But hey, it's between Bluepoint/Sony/Konami if true.

Paulxo87

Right. Watch a few documentaries and you'll realize it wasn't a singular genius piloting the ship. He had talented staff that challenged him when he needed to be challenged. It's a remake. He is not needed and I doubt he would be interested.

He's too fucking arrogant. He would want to make story changes etc and just fucking ruin the game and cringe it up just like he did in every single game since 2

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
He's too fucking arrogant. He would want to make story changes etc and just fucking ruin the game and cringe it up just like he did in every single game since 2

I fully agree he would fuck it up. This is coming from someone who used to think he was a singular genius in the medium. I used to be a big Kojima fan. Ignorance is bliss.

base

Banned
They said it's a paid upgrade. Look at the Spiderman remaster. It's more than just boosting the fps and using bigger textures.
Yeah maybe, but not for a full price. You can buy Deluxe Edition Upgrade in PSStore for 20 euros. You get some shit useless stuff. How much do you think they will want for the ps5 improved version?

Lethal01

Yeah maybe, but not for a full price. You can buy Deluxe Edition Upgrade in PSStore for 20 euros. You get some shit useless stuff. How much do you think they will want for the ps5 improved version?

I wasn't talking about the version that just budles in some DLC I'm talking about the PS5 version the comes with big improvements to every area of the graphics.

Like you said, could be around $20. And for $20 they will probably do a good bit more than just uncap the FPS. There is no DLC for them to bundle in so to justify the cost they need to put in work.

That said, this is just a rumor. If they decide to just do a free upgrade with small improvements it just means that they have decided that it will be more profitable to do one big upgrade together with the re release for PS5 and PC to get a nice concentrated marketing push.

McCarth

Solid 1, 2 and 3 only hopefully. 4 was trash, and I was never a huge fan of the original 2. Call me crazy too but I would love it if Kojima wasn't involved and some of that nonsense, over-the-top stuff could be swapped out and played straight instead.

It's a great story, but I'm too old for the nonsense and I have the originals for that anyways.

Elios83

We'll see what happens, I don't put much faith in the KatharsisT/Dusk Golem duo (especially the latter) and the SH rumor definetly took a huge hit when Toyama left Sony recently but I'm open to be proved wrong :messenger_tears_of_joy:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I'm so tired of this rumour though. It pops up every few months. It must literally be one of those most common rumours in gaming. And I want it as bad as anyone, so I notice every time it happens and it hurts.

Papacheeks

Banned
That 100% locked in !?!?

Wanna see what the series X can do with it

I know it was a year exclusivity. WHich would end in april for sure. I'm wondering if they will wait to release it though until they have PC version ready alone with next gen.

I really hope next gen version is just a regular update as I bought it for $80 for special edition. Now we are hearing about paid update. Unless they redid character models like SPiderman did with assets and peter's character model. I guess if it's like $10-20 id be cool with it.

Arachnid

If we ever do get a new Metal Gear, I hope we get to play as a Prime Snake somehow. I'm tired of Kojima always copping out with some twist on the legend in the main entries (Raiden, Old Snake, random motherbase soldier Venom; I know and get the point he was trying to make there about Snakes legend, but still).

I'm always kind of wanted a Metal Gear about Liquid Snake prior to 1, but I'm not sure how they'd pull it off. Maybe him building up Foxhound after he takes over similar to how BB built both motherbases? It'd give them a chance to flesh out some motivations other than the whole "I hate BB and my genetics" thing he's always had going on. Plus, could you imagine bringing Psycho Mantis or Sniper Wolf along as buddies? I don't know. I just always felt like Liquid was wasted. They could have done more with him. Also, I just want more Metal Gear.

Yoboman

MGS is in no way Sony exclusive in 2021, regardless of what system some old games launched on a few gens ago. There isn't a single entry other than MGS4 and Portable Ops that can't be played on some other device and the most recent entry was flat out multiplat. It's like trying to argue that RE4 is a Gamecube exclusive after all the ports we've gotten over the years to PS2-4, every Xbox, and other Nintendo machines. The history of the game does not matter. Anything else is akin to timed exclusivity at best.

That said, Bluepoint could make an MGS remake exclusive to Ouya for all I care. I will be there day 1.
Sony have gone and made FF an exclusive. I dont see why MGS would be out of the realm of possibility, especially as Konami seem to have little interest in financing AAA games themselves

Arachnid

Sony have gone and made FF an exclusive. I dont see why MGS would be out of the realm of possibility, especially as Konami seem to have little interest in financing AAA games themselves
It's definitely not out the realm of possibility. I don't have a problem with them going back to being exclusive since I always have both systems. Especially if Sony is going to bankroll the game. More power to them. The games and the franchise just aren't exclusive at the moment. Anyway, that's a meaningless argument to make either way.

Papacheeks

Banned
Remakes are lame and dumb. MG1+2 and MGS1-4 are already perfection. Kojima is a genius. We don't need another Twin Snakes and someone fucking up his work.
You dont see people clamoring for Stanley Kubrick remakes - I put this in the same category.
Let's see Bluepoint make MGS6.

After working closely with the original creators behind both titles Blue point has worked on, you honestly think they would fuck up a masterpiece such as Metal Gear Solid? Sillicon knights from my understanding worked with kojima, but honestly felt like he was not there for a lot of decisions that ended up in my opinion making the game worse.

MGS doesn't need remaking. It's a timeless classic & a masterpiece. It would be like colourising Citizen Kane. The original was an artistic scaffold & you remove one element, one beam of that scaffold the whole experience is comprised.

The sights, the sounds, the mechanics... Replacing that iconic soundtrack with clichéd drum & bass, Ugh. Re-recording the original voice acting which was lightening in bottle... A shame. The OG version's gameplay was designed around the PlayStation's limitations.

Let's learn from TTS & leave these games alone to be experienced as they were originally intended. MG1 did age the worst & certainly doesn't meet the quality standard of the rest of the series so remake that at least, maybe even Tomb Raider 2013/MGS3 Virtous Mission style where Snake is young, Naive & a little more vulnerable before growing into a Venom Killer by the end of the game.

Waylon Jennings

Neo Member
I just wanna be like all the final fantasy fans and have that few months of ungodly hype, then get the game, have some people try to shit on it, but hard core fans love it anyway.

metal gear solid 5 pain GIF

I hope the areas in MGS4 are expanded but that might be too much to ask. If you omit all the cutscenes it is a really short game.

You get so many cool items but not many opportunities to use them.

Mista

Banned
After watching my lady play Demon’s Souls on PS5, I won’t say no to this idea. If anything actually deserves a remake, its the MGS series :(

SJRB

Gold Member
I hope the areas in MGS4 are expanded but that might be too much to ask. If you omit all the cutscenes it is a really short game.

You get so many cool items but not many opportunities to use them.
"Welcome to MGS4. Here are 25423 weapons with 1243543 customization options.

Remember, don't use any of them because this is a sneaking mission.

Bye!"

Timed exclusive is smarter. The gamer swine operates on hype and peer pressure so you get most of the sales in the first year for less than a lifetime exclusive deal would cost.

Airbus Jr

Banned
They should just port MGS4 to PS4/5. The game looks great so they don't have to upgrade the graphics. Just remove the jaggies and make it 60fps and 4K.
Im with you until i checked back on MGS4 again

man the graphics look pretty dated today

a simple retexture and sharpening are just not good enough

Need a remake for that ( a faithfull remake and dont change the game)

mgs1-4 in one package for ps5 and im good

Last edited:
Top Bottom