• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bluepoint to remake several METAL GEAR titles exclusively for PS5 due to Sony/Konami partnership | FF7R for PS5 & PC soon

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Let's say that it's not fake... Bluepoint do remasters or exact remakes. A MGS remake doesn't work nowadays, it should be close to a reboot. Think about that

JeloSWE

I don't care much for MGS, I don't hate it but I much rather see BluePoint remaster all the souls games as they did a fantastic job on the Demons Souls.

nikeboy94

Metal Gear is the next big "remake" that everyone wants and I can imagine Sony wanting to be the guys who do this to bring all that hype and $$$ to their platform. Add Bluepoint to the mix and ohhhh boy, this game gon' be gud. Part of me also has hope that this will allow Kojima another shot at Silent Hills.

So yeah, please be true!

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Huh I don't know about this. What partnership with Konami? Did they sign lifetime deal or what, they have not released anything for years now.

I can totally see bluepoint working on this but Metal Gear hasn't been exclusive for a while.

I dunno man. If Kojima isn't involved, I don't really care. Sure it's great that these games will get a new audience, but nothing will replicate the feeling of playing the originals. It was a gaming zeitgeist moment.
Kojima has lost his spark though. I'm game, so long as they don't use any audio from that Twin Snakes travesty.

• LOL
Reactions: MrS

VulcanRaven

I hope this is true. Would be great to get remakes of MGS1 and 3. One thing I worry about is the voice acting. They need to use the original voices or re-record with many of the same people. It has already been done with MGS1 so I wonder if the voice actors want to do it again. Also the first two 2D Metal Gear games should be remade.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I'll take all the new Metal Gear I can take so long as it isn't like that weird MGS5 spin-off Konami tried after Kojima left, even remakes of old stuff (I barely played any of it, so it would likely all be new to me).

Papacheeks

Banned
Let's say that it's not fake... Bluepoint do remasters or exact remakes. A MGS remake doesn't work nowadays, it should be close to a reboot. Think about that

MGS's gameplay is timeless. Specifically MGS 1 and 2. That top down view has not been redone by anyone. So they should reboot Mario then? Mario, Zelda have timeless gameplay. Maybe new mechanics are thrown in, and BOTW is open world. But a lot of the staples remain the same.

A MGS remake will play a lot like a new game. Better animations, tighter controls, and added possibly better AI will really elevate the game. Plus the storyline is very timeless.

Everyone wants this.

Also I believe they may be adding more of their own to this title as they have had been building up their studio for new IP projects. I would say at the moment they have 2 teams.

Square already got 4k textures and all we need is 60 fps option. Why it's taking so long?

FF7R team has been helping on FF XVI. Also they would be working on in parallel with PC version. SO a lot of optimization is happening at the moment. Who knows also if they are adding more effects like ray tracing for the PS5/PC version. Shit takes time when your working on different projects within the same engine.

Last edited:

base

Banned
MGS's gameplay is timeless. Specifically MGS 1 and 2. That top down view has not been redone by anyone. So they should reboot Mario then? Mario, Zelda have timeless gameplay. Maybe new mechanics are thrown in, and BOTW is open world. But a lot of the staples remain the same.

A MGS remake will play a lot like a new game. Better animations, tighter controls, and added possibly better AI will really elevate the game. Plus the storyline is very timeless.

Everyone wants this.

Also I believe they may be adding more of their own to this title as they have had been building up their studio for new IP projects. I would say at the moment they have 2 teams.

FF7R team has been helping on FF XVI. Also they would be working on in parallel with PC version. SO a lot of optimization is happening at the moment. Who knows also if they are adding more effects like ray tracing for the PS5/PC version. Shit takes time when your working on different projects within the same engine.
Sephiroth summoning the Meteor with Ray Tracing? Gonna watch this.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God

Everyone wants this.

Oh, Mario you say. Because Mario 64 is the same as every Mario ever. Actually, every 3D Mario is the same, right?! You can only move in a direction, jump and has one or two power moves.

Oh, Zelda you say? Ocarina of Time is the same as Link to the Past, right?! Yeah... Fuck the big overworld with Epona and shit.

Actually, even talking about MGS, fuck MGS 4, Peace Walker and V. They're the same as the first MGS. Am I right, guys? Guys?!

Papacheeks

Banned
Oh, Mario you say. Because Mario 64 is the same as every Mario ever. Actually, every 3D Mario is the same, right?! You can only move in a direction, jump and has one or two power moves.

Oh, Zelda you say? Ocarina of Time is the same as Link to the Past, right?! Yeah... Fuck the big overworld with Epona and shit.

Actually, even talking about MGS, fuck MGS 4, Peace Walker and V. They're the same as the first MGS. Am I right, guys? Guys?!

Someone needs to lay down for a little.

There are always staple gameplays for franchises like zelda, mario. Platforming is the main, and added new mechanics and worlds is what give the games their identity. MGS is up there with Mario in that it is somewhat timeless. I would argue the original halo is somewhat as well. Specifically when talking about the AI in that game.

Going back and watching aliens dodge grenades' and side step shots still amazes me for something that was made in late 90's. MGS was the first big espionage game with a unique stealth system, AI. Everyone today uses the foundation that was built from Kojima's masterpiece. Without that game I doubt we would have got something like splintercell be as in-depth as it was. They looked at what Kojima did, and said we have better animations and a better engine, we could make this more realistic looking.

And they did.

But having AI find your tracks, hear footsteps was used like crazy after MGS came out.

If you dont want to play it and think it's waste, thats fine. No one is saying your opinion isn't heard and I bet a lot of people would rather have a new IP. But I think a game like MGS thats is still bought on PC in it's raw form shows people still love these games.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Sony to Bluepoint as remake only studio :
FaHHsgn.png

Dabaus

Banned
Kinda interesting that FF7R Pt1 isn't coming to xbox. I wonder if it's the same for FF16.
It was in the context of a playstation thread so maybe he didnt want to console war? Or maybe SE has just given up entirely on xbox after the sales of f15 and kh3 left alot to be desired? Hard to imagine such a big franchise would skip xbox entirely though. Maybe thye only release it on game pass since physical sales are trending to not be a thing of the past on xbox?

Last edited:
Hard to believe that Bluepoint will be trapped with the MGS franchise for years to come. If it was just MGS1 this rumor would be more plausible.

Thomish

Find this hard to believe because the BP devs in that Digital Foundry video specifically said they weren't just going to make remakes for Sony iirc?

MGS3 remake is all I want but with bigger levels and more removing the load areas between stages and updating the UI to be more modern (specifically the survival elements)
Knowing bluepoint, it is gonna be exact game with better graphics. That's it. I am not in favor of MGS remakes. I am tired of them already. The series was already HD remastered like 100 times. The story is done and tired.

I would like BP to make their own game. They seem to be excellent at making fantasy games and they have incredible engine as well as excellent artests.

Senhua

Knowing bluepoint, it is gonna be exact game with better graphics. That's it. I am not in favor of MGS remakes. I am tired of them already. The series was already HD remastered like 100 times. The story is done and tired.
Yup, if DS remake taken as a indicator how BP do remake, I will pass. Sorry don't interested to play the same game over and over again.
Out of all mentioned games, I will only buy FFVIIR PC for max 2k yen just for mod capabilities if the port good.

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
The only thing I believe int his thread is FF7R coming to PC and PS5.

I want to believe the Konami rumors but then I think about Konami and don't believe it. I hope I am wrong but this is like the boy who cried wolf. I just don't believe it anymore because it has been said too many times in the past and been wrong.

mortal

Gold Member
Wonder if Bluepoint will eventually grow tired of being the video game developer version of a cover band.
I think that's rather reductive to the work they do.

Although I would be interested in playing an original IP from them as well.

tusharngf

I think they should have explored some other title. MGS is kinda old and nostalgic no need to revive it. They could have done DARK SOULS remake after demons souls.

MiguelItUp

I'm not allowing myself to get super excited about this until it's solidified. All the Silent Hill(s) rumors have numbed me, haha.

We'll seeeeeee!

Papacheeks

Banned
I'd rather the tenchu rumors be true tbh. Been a lot longer since a tenchu game.

We already have a tenchu replacement and it's called Ghost of tsushima. With more teaking and a sequel we basically have that with a much richer world and story. Also doesn't activision own the rights still to tenchu seriees?

I think they should have explored some other title. MGS is kinda old and nostalgic no need to revive it. They could have done DARK SOULS remake after demons souls.

There are so many of those and Dark souls has had PC versions for a while now. LET Alone that there are a ton of those types of games. MGS is a special kind of thing. I want MGS over anything Dark souls to be honest.

Last edited:

Matsuchezz

For MGS1
They would have to hire someone talented to direct all cutscenes and voice actors all over again and it would require performance capture, which I believe they are not very experienced with. Gameplay wise i think they can redesign the gameplay and making it exciting again.

Make all the levels bigger with different layouts, Shadow moses looks tiny in comparison with any of the other games.
The story, the boss and voice actors should be saved.
They would need to redesign all the levels and all boss fights to be different, like the fight with sniper wolf could be something something like in TLOU P2 where Abby is going after Tommy with Manny. A whole redesign of the game size.
I really do not think any of the others MGS need a remake, but MGS1 deserves a really good one. Kojima could just give his blessing like From did to BP with Demon Souls.

I would remove full screen codec conversations and do a PiP on a corner of the screen or the ability to switch to full screen.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
For MGS1
They would have to hire someone talented to direct all cutscenes and voice actors all over again and it would require performance capture, which I believe they are not very experienced with. Gameplay wise i think they can redesign the gameplay and making it exciting again.

Make all the levels bigger with different layouts, Shadow moses looks tiny in comparison with any of the other games.
The story, the boss and voice actors should be saved.
They would need to redesign all the levels and all boss fights to be different, like the fight with sniper wolf could be something something like in TLOU P2 where Abby is going after Tommy with Manny. A whole redesign of the game size.
I really do not think any of the others MGS need a remake, but MGS1 deserves a really good one. Kojima could just give his blessing like From did to BP with Demon Souls.

I would remove full screen codec conversations and do a PiP on a corner of the screen or the ability to switch to full screen.
MGS is very stylized especially the codec stuff. Look at Metal Gear rising. If they can go that route I think it will end up well.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Please be true.

MGS 1-2-3-4 with complete graphical overhauls on PS5 hardware would be one of the best things I could dream of happening on consoles.

Top Bottom