• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bluepoint to remake several METAL GEAR titles exclusively for PS5 due to Sony/Konami partnership | FF7R for PS5 & PC soon

longdi

Banned
Isn't their DS remake purely a graphics makeover? Not sure if mgs1 gameplay holds up today. Kinda strange games coming to PC but sony blocking xbox port?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Metal Gear Solid launched exclusively on PlayStation (later ported to PC)
Metal Gear Solid 2 launched exclusively on PlayStation 2 (later ported to PC and Xbox)
Metal Gear Solid 3 launched exclusively on PlayStation 2 (years later ported to 3DS; and X360 as part of the MGS HD Collection)
Metal Gear Solid 4 remained a PlayStation 3 exclusive
Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker launched exclusively on PlayStation Portable
(later ported to X360 as part of the MGS HD Collection)

The only multiplatform releases from Day 1 were Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain, and even then the majority of the sales were on Sony consoles. PlayStation was not around when Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 were released.

This is not what a multiplatform franchise looks like.
Later ported > multiplatform

It'll be a bunch of remasters. Again. MGS4 needs to be unshackled from the PS3.

Now MGS5 could do with some extra missions and areas. But I won't hold my breath.

Isn't their DS remake purely a graphics makeover? Not sure if mgs1 gameplay holds up today. Kinda strange games coming to PC but sony blocking xbox port?

If they do a remake of the first one and modernize it, it will seem like a new game.

As for Sony blocking maybe they are paying Konami to make this and the PC version is just part of the deal.

Konami seems to care more about their pachinko machines than anything else.

Last edited:

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
9N6XPX2.gif
The true remaster. How can you perfect perfection?

Eanox

If this is true its sad because these games should be multiplat.
Sony money hatting the industry is bad for gamers.
Sony should just let their amazing 1st party do the talking. There's no reason for them to money hat multiplats.
But MS buying Bethesda is not bad? I hope I will see you when MS bought a major publisher again instead of just developers working for them. Like what Sony is currently doing with their acquisition but since MS open the pandora box. You might see Sony being aggressive with acquisition and I will see you posting it’s bad for the consumer right?

If MS are going for a large Pub I say Capcom or Sega would complete their studios.
If MS are looking for a smaller dev then I think From Soft makes a lot of sense.
And quick check. You don’t have problem posting like this one on an acquisition thread.
It’s only bad when Sony does it right?
Double standard at it’s finest.

The new ammo from fanboys. Anti-consumer sony.
A SJW hiding on a sheep’s clothing. Lol

Last edited:
I know this won't go over well, but after playing the sandbox perfection of 5, I have zero interest in going back to 1.

Unless it's a full rewrite of the gameplay systems, turning it away from top down style... even then though.

Demon's Souls was so ripe because the gameplay was so deep and fulfilling to play after dozens of hours. Metal Gear Solid is an in and out 8 hour thrill ride. It would be a VERY popular Redbox rental.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Metal Gear Solid launched exclusively on PlayStation (later ported to PC)
Metal Gear Solid 2 launched exclusively on PlayStation 2 (later ported to PC and Xbox)
Metal Gear Solid 3 launched exclusively on PlayStation 2 (years later ported to 3DS; and X360 as part of the MGS HD Collection)
Metal Gear Solid 4 remained a PlayStation 3 exclusive
Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker launched exclusively on PlayStation Portable
(later ported to X360 as part of the MGS HD Collection)

The only multiplatform releases from Day 1 were Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain, and even then the majority of the sales were on Sony consoles. PlayStation was not around when Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 were released.

This is not what a multiplatform franchise looks like.
Actually if ya wanna get technical Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty never actually released on any other systems.
Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance did along with the PS2 version.
Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain are the only Metal Gear Solid titles that began as a multiplatform title and launch as one
Not that it matters

ACESHIGH

Banned
Work on porting MGS4 on PS4/5/PC first. How hard can it be? Yeah, the game is basically a ps3/Apple ad but find a workaround.
Also I don't trust Bluepoint, remaking MGS is way out of their league. Why not a Slyphon Filter reboot?

jakdex

We don't know any specifics besides that it is the third game From has currently in development (the other two are Elden Ring and Armored Core) and will be directed by Miyazaki.
I really hope this one isn't real, i hate that we need to wait since 3 months ago for a new version of Demon's Souls and Bloodborne is simply forgotten without even a patch even tough is one of the PS Collection thing for PS5, really hope they wouldn't get another From exclusive.

Last edited:

Vtecomega

Banned
I would rather have Bloodbourne 2. Why asked for a remake from a 5 years old game? Why not asked for a BC with improve performance for the game. Lol.

I would also love a Bloodborne 2 but there's no way sony will invest in it now that From is developing Elder Ring. Then again Elder Ring could end up filling that void.

I'm in... I feel like I kinda lost interest in gaming after The Last of Us (part 1, not due to the quality of the game or anything).
But remakes of the favourite games that got me really hooked into gaming (MGS1-3) would make me jump bank in this gen. :)

Sony is running out of old-school ambitious games to remake. BluePoint wants to continually up their game, so stuff like "remaking Ape Escape" makes Zero sense....

MGS is a logical choice if they can get the Konami IP....however, I feel like they are going to need to radically change the gameplay to modernize it...it's not something like Demon's Souls that is timeless in how it plays (for now).

Dabaus

Banned
I wonder if that cryptic tweet from blue point a few years ago was just them sort of being cagey about “yeah Konami said pick whichever game you want” and they didn’t make their mind up yet.

Valonquar

Even with a glossy coat, I dunno if I could replay MGS1 or 2 at this point. Now MGS3 I could probably redo just because it was the peak of the series IMHO. Overall, I think the series needs more time away.

Mega_Deth

This is major if true. The Sony/Konami partnership would be insane. Silent Hill, Castlevania, Metal Gear all to Sony's platform would be a good counter against MS buying out Zenimax. We shall see though.

Barakov

Gold Member
Haven't played the Demon's Souls remake but everyone says it's fantastic and with Bluepoint's track record with remakes it seems like these remakes would be in good hands.

And if this prevents Konami from making another Metal Gear Survive then I'm all for it.

Ryu Kaiba

Even if she made it up I bet this is all still true it's not far fetched at all.

Also I hope Bluepoint never stop making remakes. We need at least 2 more studios like BluePoint in this industry.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Rumor comes from the PlayStation Studios OT over at ResetEra.

KatharsisT states that the large-scale partnership between Sony and Konami hinted by MarsipanRumpan (the Bluepoing acquisition and From Software PS5 exclusive dude) back in December of last year it's real and that Bluepoing Games, who she says are getting acquired as we speak, is now currently hard at work on several MGS remakes exclusively for PlayStation 5 as part of a long term plan to bring the series to the platform.

She also states that Final Fantay 7 Remake will come to PS5 and PC later this year - interestingly there is no mention of XOne/Series versions. Navtra, who successfully leaked the slate of both PS5 event from last year, says that FF7R could be a paid upgrade on PS5.

Great news! Metal Gear Solid series is so close to my heart. I really hope they remake the original Metal Gear 1 and 2 from the 1980's one day.

Orpheum

Judging from the cryptic bluepoint tweets this can very well be true. I checked them out again and they heavily imply metal gear solid and bloodborne. Both would truly be amazing

I don't know if the from soft/sony collaboration rumor is true though. Can't imagine from working on so many titles in parallel. I'm happy to be proven wrong though as this could mean a bloodborne sequel is in the works too.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
I'd rather get Snake Eater, but sure. I'm down for MGS1 as well.

4 would do fine with a remaster only, but I think anything PS2 and below would need to be remade to get me to replay it.

Top Bottom