• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bluepoint Games Talks About Importance of Remakes and Remasters.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

We’ve recently talked with Marco Thrush, president at Bluepoint Games and he had some strong opinions to share about video game remasters.

According to Thrush, remastering a video game in a meaningful and high-end way is essential especially for console related versions. Undeniably, video games that have shaped the very foundation of the industry is unplayable on current systems and are bound to be forgotten with their respective consoles.

The Shadow of the Colossus remaster for Bluepoint Games was a perfect example of that. He said:
High quality remastered and remakes are incredibly important. Many great games are hardware locked, only available to players who own those consoles. Eventually, most of those consoles either break down or fade away, collecting dust in a garage or attic. As mentioned above with Shadow of the Colossus (SotC), it is important to bring masterpieces of gaming’s history to new players.

Thrush related that importance to the fast improvement to hardware, saying that original game developers some time have to cut down expectations just so that the game can run on current systems. This is a common tactic for studios, especially in the past.

Now, with the gap of console and PC hardware reaching a bare minimum, studios can not only remaster the classics in the most meaningful way but also deliver experiences that we’ve never seen up until now. Bluepoint Games knows how to push those limits and create experiences that can surpass their originals, especially when it comes to games that were suffering graphically. Thrush claims:
Many games, SotC included, were incredibly ambitious visions and the hardware of their time was limiting. Sometimes the original dev team had to cut corners due to those limitations. Sometimes the frame rate suffered and areas of the game did not play well. 100-million gamers can now enjoy a more fully realized Shadow of the Colossus playing at 60 fps.

When I played the PS2 version of SoTC I was like WOW how is this even possible!

When I played the remaster on PS4 I was like, hmmm this does not look as good as I remember. Even though objectively the textures and frame rate etc were better than the PS2 original.

Same for TLoU on PS3 vs PS4. On PS3 it was the most amazing PS3 game ever. On PS4 it was just an last gen looking game.

thelastword

Banned
When I played the PS2 version of SoTC I was like WOW how is this even possible!

When I played the remaster on PS4 I was like, hmmm this does not look as good as I remember. Even though objectively the textures and frame rate etc were better than the PS2 original.

Same for TLoU on PS3 vs PS4. On PS3 it was the most amazing PS3 game ever. On PS4 it was just an last gen looking game.
So better is worse? It's funny because PC guys take up old games, play them at 4k 60fps with improved filtering and mods and they are ecstatic, people spoke lots of niceties on XBOX enhanced BC...….Yet taking PS2/3 games and remaking them at high rez 60fps with graphical improvements does very little for you......

I remember for a while people were complaining that SOTC falls to 15fps in that last boss bottle and it hindered their ability and better framerate would net smoother play.....SOTC remake gave you 60fps with some of the best looking open world visuals we've seen to date....

Psajdak

Banned
Well, higher definition, and frame rates can certainly help.

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker is made with PSP in mind, yet most people will agree that HD remaster for PS3 is way more enjoyable.

As for remakes, I must admit that I always prefer to first play original, because fundametally, I consider them different games, even if they are graphics improvement only.

I do, however, believe that remakes should take more freedom, like include stuff not seen in original, as well as take all the advantage stronger hardware offers.

Quezacolt

I just wish most people would understand the difference between both. People that call shadow of the colossus ps4, or crash nsane trilogy, or spyro just a remaster have no idea what a remaster and a remake is, hell, not even Activision's PR knows the difference.

A lot of the time its games i have never played or completed back in the past like resident evil 2 and 3. I still haven’t completed ico and hope the ps5 will allow me to download it!

Reactions: TLZ
Top Bottom