• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Sony Slashes PlayStation VR2 Headset Output After Pre-Orders Disappoint

Status
Not open for further replies.
They should make more cockpit games. With GT7 or No Man's Sky (when flying) you sit stationary in a vehicle while sitting on your couch.
These games create no motion sickness (for most people) and the cable is an absolute non-issue.

Thus please give us:

X-Wing Remake
DiRT Rally 3 (EA Sports WRC 2023)
WW2 dogfight simulation
Ace Combat or a real F-16 simulator
F1
Stunt racing game (like Stunt Car Racer)
etc.

I'm sure this would get much more people to buy PSVR2.

Chukhopops

I personally never had an issue with the cable on PSVR 1 once you have the headset on, and this time the cable will be a lot thinner and lighter. Most games aren't room scale so space isnt usually an issue.
Once the cable is removed you get 360 degrees movement without having to trip on it, it’s a game changer honestly.

In a game like Alyx it removes the need to rotate via the control stick, you can basically just move forward/back and move your head / body for everything else. It’s way better overall for immersion.

Technically you can hang the cable from the ceiling but a) the cable is still there and b) good luck doing that in your living room if you’re married…

Romulus

Too many people here are overhyping VR the same way they did the SSD before launch, leading to disappointment for them when a $600 add-on remains extremely niche and not every game released supports it.

I agree it's an expensive add on. But I would say that if Sony can continue pushing big games after launch, almost no new VR user is going to be disappointed with psvr2 as a piece of tech. I demoed psvr1 to hundreds of people over 5 years and that POS blew minds with almost no AAA games. It had serious tracking issues and really low resolution. Psvr2 is like 3 generations ahead of the first one. I don't see how that compares to SSD. When you try a game built for SSD without knowing, it's almost impossible to know it's even working outside of loading times. VR is not like that at all. You know you're gaming a completely different way.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
They should make more cockpit games. With GT7 or No Man's Sky (when flying) you sit stationary in a vehicle while sitting on your couch.
These games create no motion sickness (for most people) and the cable is an absolute non-issue.

Thus please give us:

X-Wing Remake
DiRT Rally 3 (EA Sports WRC 2023)
WW2 dogfight simulation
Ace Combat or a real F-16 simulator
F1
Stunt racing game (like Stunt Car Racer)
etc.

I'm sure this would get much more people to buy PSVR2.
With time, they will.

Software really isn't an issue. There are more than 114 games that have already been announced for PS VR 2, and more are being announced every day. That's more software that PS4/Xbox One launched with.

The big opportunity here is that PS VR 2 (especially the Sense controllers) are now in line with other VR machines out there, which means porting games across platforms would be a breeze and make much more sense.

Besides, games are the last thing I worry about when it comes to PlayStation. As devs get more familiar with the new hardware (and PS5), we'll see a lot more games coming to PS VR 2.

Kacho

Gold Member
Wouldn't surprise me. They ditched the reservation system due to lack of interest. Not much has changed since then to convince people to drop 600 bucks on the thing.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Doesn't really prove a lot, so they toyed around with gt7 in Vr, not surprising. But they didn't greenlight the actual build until far later.
VR code was datamined from the in-game code last summer for GT7. It had a VR showroom in GTS, so naturally that would carry over and apparently a whole lot more did for GT7.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Not surprising.

VR is cool but only in short bursts. It's so disorienting and sea legs are a real thing. It could take you upwards of a week to get properly adjusted to a game. I had that experience with RE7. If gaming is your hobby and you don't have a ton of disposable income, it's hard to justify spending $500+ on a novelty device that won't get much use. Besides, PS5's are still tough to find for millions of people.

I'm gonna get PSVR2, probably during Holiday 2023 but I'm not in a huge rush because of the aforementioned. Village will be cool but not $500+ cool.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Sony needs to make this compatible with PC. That would help. I'm canceling my pre-order since it doesn't seem like Half-Life: Alyx is coming.

I mean, it shows that VR on pc hasn’t been great at all if people still after 3 years talk about Alyx. Not like it’s a bad game but not much comparable has been launched on PC.

And you’re also wrong. Selling on pc day one won’t help shit. It’s not gonna push PS5 sales or PSVR2 content harder. People should understand that and it’s not really hard to understand. They have a platform called PS which is more important in the first place for them.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
With time, they will.

Software really isn't an issue. There are more than 114 games that have already been announced for PS VR 2, and more are being announced every day. That's more software that PS4/Xbox One launched with.

The big opportunity here is that PS VR 2 (especially the Sense controllers) are now in line with other VR machines out there, which means porting games across platforms would be a breeze and make much more sense.

Besides, games are the last thing I worry about when it comes to PlayStation. As devs get more familiar with the new hardware (and PS5), we'll see a lot more games coming to PS VR 2.
There is a major issue with VR software across all the platforms. You look at top selling VR games and it is still stupid Beat Saber, month after month. Nobody is really pushing the envelope here. Half-Life Alyx and Astrobot are still considered the best VR games and those are years-old. And quite frankly you see this stagnation in the PSVR2 lineup where a lot of it is just Quest 2 cast-offs. So yea, it might be more straightforward to port games to PSVR2 but what is being ported? There isn’t enough interesting stuff out there coming out.

There is a major issue with VR software across all the platforms. You look at top selling VR games and it is still stupid Beat Saber, month after month. Nobody is really pushing the envelope here. Half-Life Alyx and Astrobot are still considered the best VR games and those are years-old. And quite frankly you see this stagnation in the PSVR2 lineup where a lot of it is just Quest 2 cast-offs. So yea, it might be more straightforward to port games to PSVR2 but what is being ported? There isn’t enough interesting stuff out there coming out.
I think you're missing what is happening though. Small, arcade style games rise to the top because those are the best games to play in VR (imho). The majority of people I've talked to want to play games that you can play in short sessions, and without artificial movement. Beat Saber results in zero motion sickness since you just step to to the side in real space. You can play a few songs and take the helmet off.

AAA gaming really is not that likely to even be desirable in VR for most people.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I think you're missing what is happening though. Small, arcade style games rise to the top because those are the best games to play in VR (imho). The majority of people I've talked to want to play games that you can play in short sessions, and without artificial movement. Beat Saber results in zero motion sickness since you just step to to the side in real space. You can play a few songs and take the helmet off.

AAA gaming really is not that likely to even be desirable in VR for most people.
Well, that’s a problem for Sony, because who the hell is going to spend $500+ for a VR helmet to play dopey games like that indefinitely. Even if you buy the helmet, but then say play GT7 and RE8 on your TV, that’s a problem too.

I do think there is a future in top quality, high-end games in VR, but at some point people have to make them. Some have, not enough yet.

Poppyseed

On the other hand Quest will feel very outdated after using PSVR2: cheap LCD screens, small FoV, no HDR, PS2 graphics, sub native resolutions etc.

The Grid Legends port and Resident Evil 4 will look archaic next to GT7 and RE8.
Yep, just like the Nintendo Switch which is super outdated and doesn’t sell w…ohh.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
That comes with market expansion. The VR market is around ~20-25 million units. Once that expands, more developers will join the market and start producing games. But somebody has to start in this state, and I'm glad Sony and Meta are trying to build it.

As for Beat Saber, that's not a big deal, as some games are just evergreen popular. Games like GTA 5 and Minecraft still appear consistently in all top sales charts. That doesn't necessarily mean the console gaming industry has a major issue.

Alesimage

Banned
I feel that people who purchase this will eventually be stuck with the most expensive paperweight of all time. Yes it will get support from Sony during the first year or so but the after realizing the sales are not there, Sony will cut support for it over time without saying anything just like with psvr1. The launch is gonna be a disaster.

diffusionx

Gold Member
That comes with market expansion. The VR market is around ~20-25 million units. Once that expands, more developers will join the market and start producing games. But somebody has to start in this state, and I'm glad Sony and Meta are trying to build it.

As for Beat Saber, that's not a big deal, as some games are just evergreen popular. Games like GTA 5 and Minecraft still appear consistently in all top sales charts. That doesn't necessarily mean the console gaming industry has a major issue.

Market expansion to play what though, is the point. Right now it’s a total jumble of stuff but the biggest concentration is on low-end run on your local device Quest. So if everyone is buying it to be a Beat Saber machine then it really doesn’t matter how big the market gets, we will never get high-end titles unless devs just go totally out on a limb to do so (which is basically what Valve did with Half-Life Alyx, Meta has done with a few games, etc).

Market expansion to play what though, is the point. Right now it’s a total jumble of stuff but the biggest concentration is on low-end run on your local device Quest. So if everyone is buying it to be a Beat Saber machine then it really doesn’t matter how big the market gets, we will never get high-end titles unless devs just go totally out on a limb to do so (which is basically what Valve did with Half-Life Alyx, Meta has done with a few games, etc).
And that's what I've been saying for a while. If development is more expensive than ever, the odds of getting super high budget games on a (at best) 10 million install base device is crazy. And even if it sells a million, most people don't pay $60 for VR titles, let alone $70. They pay tops $40, with the majority being $15. It's a small arcade market where the main novelty is the perspective and the control, not the graphics.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
If Sony wants to instantly sell out PSVR2 they just need to announce official support for SteamVR.
HDR OLED and eye-tracking makes PSVR2 a lot more advanced and future-proof than all those >$1000 PC headsets out there. I think most people don't realize how eye-tracking + foveated rendering allows for up to 3x the performance by discarding detail processing on our peripheral vision, and the left-over performance will be enough to make games look really good.

The only problem is the PS5 alone isn't enough to justify the headset's cost yet.

I can’t remember, didn’t he lowball the ps4 production numbers?

Edit: what about the switch pro? Or switch with dlss.

BQNnMIz.png

To be fair, a couple of months later many outlets claimed the exact same thing from their own sources, and even today we still hear Richard Leadbetter commenting on a cancelled Switch Pro from time to time.

Most probably Nintendo did order a new SoC from Nvidia for their Switch Pro that got canceled.

It might even be the same chip that got into the recently announced Orin Nano:
- 6-core Cortex A78 at 1.5GHz;
- 8x SM, 1024 shader processors at up to 625MHz, Ampere architecture (RTX30), maximum 1.3 TFLOPs (handheld mode would probably go lower than 625MHz);
- 32 tensor cores
- 128bit LPDDR5 up to 68GB/s
- 5 to 15W power consumption.

We'll probably need to wait until March for someone to open up an Orin Nano and check which SoC got in there, but I doubt Nvidia is selling a $200 single-board-computer with a 400mm^2 chip inside (the original Orin chip). That would be a chip as big as the GA104 / RTX 3070 Ti.

First, this writer can't really be trusted. He seems to get a lot wrong. On the other hand, this is an expensive device, coming in $150 higher than the first. The original PSVR also launched when PS4s were $300, so the all-in price was just $700 (cheaper if you waited until Black Fridays, when both PS4 and PS4 Pro saw a $50 price cut). Now the all-in price is $1,050. I know that backwards compatibility is almost impossible just due to the differences in the headsets and how motion is tracked, but I think that was another blow. Anyone who invested in PSVR may be less likely to jump on PSVR 2 until they see whether the games are worth it.

At the end of the day, these vr manufacturers keep pumping out higher and higher quality headsets, and this shit keep getting more and more expensive.

Just make one that is decent quality, not bleeding edge, and price it at $299 or 399 at the absolute most. And that's it.

You need adoption. You need people to make this an impulse purchase.
Not fucking $600. I mean, jesus. This industry is never gonna get anywhere with these headsets that crack $1000.

I think sony made the wrong move going with the best of the best of the best.
This headset is hardly the best of the best of the best. Just the simple fact that it's tethered makes it seem outdated to me.

nbkicker

Plus sony really havnt pushed loads of ps5 games out over last two yrs its been out its all been games originally designed for ps4 then upgraded slightly for ps5, wouldnt be suprised if come later in yr spiderman 2 comes out on ps4 as well

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Previously on Bloomberg:

ZATBcH4.jpg
6zdjsln.jpg
Yeah, they denied it at the time and then missed their shipment targets. They blamed it on the pandemic instead of low yields of course but we all saw that they missed their own estimates by MILLIONS both in FY 2021 and 2022.
It's Takashi Mochizuki, not Bloomberg.

Takashi Mochizuki is a well-known bullshit artist.
This guy gets a lot of hate but time proves him right. I remember everyone here dismissing his report on the PS5 costing more than Sony had anticipated and specifically mentioned the cooling costs. Thats where we got the $450 BOM estimate. Well, the PS5 ended up costing $500 and Sony has made constant revisions to the heatsink reducing its size with every single iteration.

As for this news, we have all received those emails. sony started this as an invitation only preorder thinking it would sell out in minutes then kept emailing everyone that preorders are still available eventually opening it to everyone. It's clear to everyone that the demand is not there. So i am not sure why we are dismissing this news.

RafterXL

Anyone who has been paying attention knows they over-projected. They made a big deal about pre-orders and how it would be limited availability but a few weeks before release you can still still go on the site and buy one for day 1 shipping, no lines, no tickets, no nothing. You don't even need a PS account.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yeah, they denied it at the time and then missed their shipment targets. They blamed it on the pandemic instead of low yields of course but we all saw that they missed their own estimates by MILLIONS both in FY 2021 and 2022.
Missing shipment targets =/= readjusting forecasts.

gothmog

Gold Member
Beat Saber is VR's version of Tetris. Just accept that it will always sell well and move on.

Mossybrew

I think the VR "hype wave" has largely passed and that's a lot of coin to drop on a peripheral. I know I'm not the only original psvr owner whose unit mostly sat in a corner collecting dust once the novelty wore off.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I'm generally expecting to be able to get one w/o a pre-order, that I am happy about.

This news? No clue if true. But you've been able to just pre-order one from Sony since right after the announcement.

So I'll probably pre-order a few days before it's release., which is basically barely a pre-order lol. I hate having to pre-order way ahead of time and have to remember not to make plans to be away from my house or whatever lol

Wish they would quote the actual denial?

Because that quote isn't it.

I hate when outlets do that.. just print the damn statement lol

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Well, that’s a problem for Sony, because who the hell is going to spend $500+ for a VR helmet to play dopey games like that indefinitely. Even if you buy the helmet, but then say play GT7 and RE8 on your TV, that’s a problem too.

I do think there is a future in top quality, high-end games in VR, but at some point people have to make them. Some have, not enough yet.

That’s what the majority of PCVR gamers are playing and not AAA VR games. Majority of PCVR games are bunch of mods, old VR games, some decent other VR games and that’s it. These people have spent more on hardware in general.

Like i said before, PCVR isn’t even in a better state. Before the PSVR2 announcement it was in it’s worst state. Sony is again the one that will push VR more mainstream with PS.

NickFire

I'm generally expecting to be able to get one w/o a pre-order, that I am happy about.

This news? No clue if true. But you've been able to just pre-order one from Sony since right after the announcement.

So I'll probably pre-order a few days before it's release., which is basically barely a pre-order lol. I hate having to pre-order way ahead of time and have to remember not to make plans to be away from my house or whatever lol

Wish they would quote the actual denial?

Because that quote isn't it.

I hate when outlets do that.. just print the damn statement lol
100% on the quote not matching the claim.

sachos

It is really hard to sell and show why VR is so cool and how it actually feels to use it and it seems Sony isn't even trying to do it. The marketing for PSVR2 seems so shallow, not even a main event focused on it to show how advanced it is compared to the competition. I really feel that word of mouth will be hugely important for this device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom