• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Sony Looking to Aquire Leyou Technologies (Warframe, Gears Tactics)

Thirty7ven

Banned
Sony Weighs Bid for Hong Kong-Listed Gaming Firm Leyou

Sony is hoping that it can edge out other bidders with greater certainty of financing, the people said. Leyou’s Yuk aims to choose a buyer and sign an agreement as soon as this month, the people said.

Talks are still ongoing and no final decision has been made, the people said. Other bidders could still emerge, they said. Representatives for Leyou and Sony declined to comment.

Leyou was listed in Hong Kong in 2011 and counts among its titles the free shooting games Warframe and Dirty Bomb. It’s also working with Amazon.com Inc. to co-produce a video game based on the popular fantasy series “The Lord of the Rings,” according to its website.

Would be an interesting piece of business.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
It’s a big purchase, but it’s also quite a few studios. War Frame though would have to stay multi platform I imagine.

I enjoyed Digital Extremes pre-Warframe. That's not to say I don't like Warframe, I just wish they'd move onto something else already. Like The Darkness III.

Digital Extremes? Who ows the unreal ip? Epic?
Yes, although they're not doing anything with the IP itself. It's just the name of their engine now.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I was waiting to achieve enough privileges as a poster to start a thread about potential new studios Sony should/could buy. This wasn't on my radar.

Considering the kind of developers Sony is scouting and after the kind of games we saw in the PS5 presentation looks like they are looking for more multiplayer online stuff. I don't dig it.

Sony needs more online 1st party games so this makes sense.

FeldMonster

As an Xbox fan, I would be disappointed by the loss of Splash Damage, and especially so in losing Certain Affinity, but if they make great games for Sony, it will give me a reason to consider a Sony console in the future.

Doesn’t seem like a good fit for the Sony brand

But then again they kind of make the type of games that Sony isn't known for so maybe that's why they are looking at them.

I'm guessing that Sony probably believes they already have the single player market taken care of so now they are looking to invest in the multiplayer side of things.

I prefer single player games but I don't think it's terrible of they invest in more multiplayer oriented developers.

However to be fair they recently acquired Insomniac and they are already making single player games for Sony such as Ratchet and Clank in addition to Spiderman.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Don't really care about any of their games but hope Sony isn't buying PC studios to make them console exclusive.

Shmunter

But then again they kind of make the type of games that Sony isn't known for so maybe that's why they are looking at them.

I'm guessing that Sony probably believes they already have the single player market taken care of so now they are looking to invest in the multiplayer side of things.

I prefer single player games but I don't think it's terrible of they invest in more multiplayer oriented developers.

However to be fair they recently acquired Insomniac and they are already making single player games for Sony such as Ratchet and Clank in addition to Spiderman.
Sure, diversify the portfolio, offer more to your customer.

But I’m not certain these established studios have sufficient pedigree. I suppose they could meld the experience with existing Sony talent to produce something new. But what’s there already as free to play or 3rd party, doesn’t really offer enough.

Would rather Sony build things from the ground up, poach individual talent as needed.

Last edited:
Sony knows the future of playstation is not in building a better box.
It's in building an attractive ecosystem that has high quality games you can't get anywhere else.
More high quality games means you need more high quality studios.

Perrott

Gold Member
This doesn't sound like a good match, even if they want more multiplayer based games.
Splash Damage worked on several Gears of War titles in the past. They are more than capable of starting a new AAA shooter franchise under Sony's umbrella or even bring back either Resistance or Killzone.

Digital Extremes could make some major multiplayer-focused titles - think about what Zipper was doing with MAG, CCP with Dusk 514 or Incognito with Warhawk... and who knows if what Sony wants out of them it's not their own take on the Destiny formula given the studio's success with Warframe.

00_Zer0

This doesn't sound like a good match, even if they want more multiplayer based games.
Aye, look at S.O.E. track record with EverQuest, and PlanetSide 2. Unless they do things differently than last time these companies will either go the way of the dodo or would be sold off by Sony after floundering in games as a service yet again.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Sure, diversify the portfolio, offer more to your customer.

But I’m not certain these established studios have sufficient pedigree. I suppose they could meld the experience with existing Sony talent to produce something new. But what’s there already as free to play or 3rd party, doesn’t really offer enough.

Would rather Sony build things from the ground up, poach individual talent as needed.
Actual talent available for purchase is incredibly limited though

Sounds good but I wonder if a console exclusive multi player fps or otherwise can be successful compared to real success storys like say fortnite or cod etc ?, Or do you think they'll put out stuff on all platforms ?.

Kadve

Has digital extreme made anything good though besides Warframe since they stopped making Unreal tournament? feels like a risky move and i'm not sure if splash damage would make it worth it.

Damn, I was just saying that they should invest in a Chinese developer due to the lower costs and potential high quality. I was thinking something more like MiHoYo but I was not familiar with Leyou Technologies...

You need to do some research on the Chinese Communist Party. There is a reason why nobody is buying Chinese companies.

On topic, meh, neither one of those studios interest me. One is a small team AA team essentially and the other makes multiplat GAAS games.

Last edited:

Fake

So, F2P games? Hope not. I understand Sony want more money to make new games, but I don't like F2P method.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
You need to do some research on the Chinese Communist Party. There is a reason why nobody is buying Chinese companies.

On topic, meh, neither one of those studios interest me. One is a small team AA team essentially and the other makes multiplat GAAS games.
I dunno, they have a lot going on beneath the surface... did you know they acquired all the Telltale assets through a subsidiary?
Then they have a LOTR MMO coming and Civ online.
Digital Extremes also could make a decent shooter to fill that area in the lineup since they did Unreal and Bioshock on PS3

Dane

I'm curious about it, considering that DE is likely the gross of the value worth, I think they'll go the same route as MS with Mojang, too expensive to be let alone in a single console and it's very profitable by letting it continue to be multiplatform.

Dabaus

Banned
I’d rather them buy studios well suited for multiplayer games than force one of their first parties to shoehorn in multiplayer elements in one of their games. Seems like a good move. With that said I doubt it happens though.

jakinov

It’s not a great decision for PlayStation itself but it’s a good investment big picture. These billion dollar companies buy out companies multiple times a year. Partly because they want IP/patents but also because they have a bunch of money sitting in the bank. I suspect this is not about helping ouT PlayStation as it is about growing Sonys gaming division as a whole. I think for PlayStation there’s a lot more interesting companies to acquire than to acquire the one that is seemingly heavily focused on war frame, some F2P devs and a dev who don’t really do much bedsides assists primary developers or make smaller scale game’s.

The Alien

Banned
It's interesting in that it's not the first studio I'd expect them to go after.

Splash Damage is a pretty talented support studio. They did great on Gears Tactics...and think they helped on the online components for most Gears games this gen.

Dabaus

Banned
It’s a win win if you think about it. Expand into the online multiplayer scene with known studios who have a proven track record without forcing your already established first party developers in said multiplayer scene. At the same time your potentially (depending on how Sony would want to play it) deprives Microsoft from two support studios they had a close relationship with. It’s a smart business decision and it’s cut throat to the competition. It’s not the flashiest buy but I think it does a lot of things for the price of one. I’ll be curious to see if they can work a deal out.

Bryank75

Banned
Sony buy Leyou and get Telltale as a bonus or for the reason of buying Leyou.

The last of us Telltale Series could work well
Batman series was pretty good too, it would make sense to have something like that due to Quantic Dream no longer being exclusive.

If this costs over a billion, I'd rather they waited and try to buy Zenimax for 2.5 or whatever they ask....

Batman series was pretty good too, it would make sense to have something like that due to Quantic Dream no longer being exclusive.

If this costs over a billion, I'd rather they waited and try to buy Zenimax for 2.5 or whatever they ask....
I wonder how some of these IP's can be turned in to VR experiences. Tell tale games are pretty 'on rails', so having some of Sony's top IP's recreated in VR in telltale 'story' mode, could be a big win.

yurinka

I think it isn't a good fit. Instead they should have bought RAD when they could. Or instead of that, Kojipro, Rocksteady, Quantic Dream, Housemarque, Remedy, Bluepoint or From Software.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
That sucks. No interest in multi-player games whatsoever and even worse, I was hoping that Microsoft was going to acquire Splash Damage as they would be perfect to make Xbox games like Halo into a turn based strategy RPG. Oh well.

thread has zero traction lol.

I wonder whats the play. Its a Chinese company, but all their developers arent. There isnt any big iP. Warframe might be the biggest name in their library. So maybe they want a presence in HK.
250px-Sony_Online_Entertainment_Logo.png

They can rename Leyou into SOE. I see the purchase for satellite studios to help their main studios with multiplayer components and remakes.

Arkam

Don't do it! I worked on Dirty Bomb... its a turd sandwich!

lol actually not that bad. Was fun to work on and deserved more attention than it gopt... but then again SD never gave it any real content updates....

Top Bottom