• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: PSVR2 will use Samsung OLED and is scheduled for holiday 2022

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ne-lcd-screen-maker-pivots-to-virtual-reality

One important holdout remains: Sony Group Corp. plans to use Samsung Display Co. OLED panels in its next-generation PlayStation VR goggles, according to people with knowledge of the matter. The Japanese console giant sold more than 5 million units of the original PS VR, launched in 2016, and is aiming to release the successor in the holiday period next year, the people said, asking not to be named discussing internal plans.

shubik

I think this time I will bite and get one. I was very hesitant with the first VR headset because I thought it will be just a gimmick for SONY. But I feel like they are ready for the commitment and the tech also seems to slowly getting better and better. I hope they can keep the price below 300€

MastaKiiLA

MS and Sony are betting on different areas being the future of gaming. Streaming and VR definitely seem to be where we're heading, but only VR continues the reliance on dedicated hardware. Sony is right to continue to push in that direction, as it think that's where the real innovations remain to be found in gaming. We've kind of exhausted what can be done with 2D and 3D. OTOH, there are still bigger steps to be found visually for VR, and gameplay mechanics are still not fully tapped. When do we get full body haptics and omnidirectional treadmills that somehow let you do flips and shit?

Matt_Fox

E3s big VR Showcase was woeful...

VR has never been in great shape but it badly needs some emergency CPR, this could be it.

Vlodril

It would seem weird to start the marketing from now if its going to be 2 years out. I would think it would be spring 2022 or something.

I hope Microsoft won't simply keep ignoring VR for the foreseeable future. Maybe a collaboration with Oculus is in the cards. Compatibility shouldn't be an issue, Xbox is basically a PC anyway.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I am so hyped for PSVR2. Everything we have heard about it so far looks like a carnage of fun! I hope we hear more about the PSVR2 games this Summer.

Shmunter

I hope Microsoft won't simply keep ignoring VR for the foreseeable future. Maybe a collaboration with Oculus is in the cards. Compatibility shouldn't be an issue, Xbox is basically a PC anyway.
Unlikely for vr to ever be a consideration for Xbox. Conflicts with Xcloud ambitions. Even the S is not high enough rez for VR in 2021+.

Shame really, the more Vr out there, the better for everyone in the space.

INC

E3s big VR Showcase was woeful...

VR has never been in great shape but it badly needs some emergency CPR, this could be it.

I dont fully agree, but this year tho has be bad, nothing really new, load sof headsets coming, but software is in a vd state (for my game tastes anyway)

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Would be cool to have a bit of new life in the VR world but Bloomberg is often full of doodoo:

Unlikely for vr to ever be a consideration for Xbox. Conflicts with Xcloud ambitions. Even the S is not high enough rez for VR in 2021+.

Shame really, the more Vr out there, the better for everyone in the space.
VR is in direct conflict with Xcloud. They are on opposing ends and going further apart. VR is basically an extension of tradition Console gaming. You buy a powerful machine that you run locally in your home. It isn't portable, but Console is fine with it not being portable. Microsoft basically can't divert resources to Xbox VR without ending up with competing goals that disagree with the future of gaming.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Happy Stephen Colbert GIF

JLB

Banned
I think that the only way to succeed is to be completely detached (wireless) and work on its own (no need for a PS5). VR world after Quest demands that.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
It better be cordless the cords on the psvr makes you feel like in an insane asylum.

I think that the only way to succeed is to be completely detached (wireless) and work on its own (no need for a PS5). VR world after Quest demands that.
PS5 is what is needed to save weight and not needing for cooling or batteries. Just as portable gaming is not the same as home gaming, portable VR is not the same as home VR.
Further, Quest is being sold way below cost, because your user data is being sold for a profit. Sony is not that evil yet.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Samsung OLED gives hope for HDR - especially given the headset doesn't need to hit overblown nits to achieve it. Well - fingers crossed anyway.

VR is in direct conflict with Xcloud. They are on opposing ends and going further apart.
In terms of possible competing goals, yes (also the fact that VR software is much more incompatible with idea of 'access on any device', running against that goal too).
On the flipside though - there are shared technology aspects (they are two of the most performance sensitive mediums for games right now), and technically XCloud can be extended relatively straightforward to support a reasonable VR experience - they just need to add 360 encoding for their video streams. But yea - strategic benefits of this are minimal to none at this point in time.

I am hopeful the device will be able to work with PCs, even if it’s only in a limited capacity (meaning multimedia only without games).

Day 1.

nbkicker

With them showing off the controllers early this yr i cant see it being holiday 2022 release unless chip shortage is holiding it back , if it is holiday 2022 then i dont expect a reveal of the whole system till feb/mar next year, i was expecting xmas 21 to easter 22 for release

Last edited:

yurinka

Is RE4 a full oculus exclusive?
It's Capcom, which means that in a year or two we may see RE4VR Whatever Edition as PSVR2 launch game.

With them showing off the controllers early this yr i cant see it being holiday 2022 release unless chip shortage is holiding it back , if it is holiday 2022 then i dont expect a reveal of the whole system till feb/mar next year, i was expecting xmas 21 to easter 22 for release
As I remember while ago Jimbo said they still didn't have a release date, but for sure weren't going to be released last year or during 2021. Add covid on top of that and expect a late 2022 or 2023 release.

Specially when they are supply constrained so they may not be able to scale up PS5 install base as fast as they scheduled for 2nd-3rd year due to the chips (demand will be hay higher than they predicted), and that's very important considering only around ~5% of the PS4 users bought a PSVR1 so they may want to release PSVR2 with a pretty big PS5 userbase.

Consider a full reveal with several games maybe around early fall 2022, a couple of months before its release, and an early hardware reveal/announcement teaser a few months before that, maybe around Spring 2022/E3-ish 2022.

Last edited:

MachRc

Sony's is really pushing for the VR market which is great for all of us, more adopters mean more developers for better games. It also gives Sony console owners a great taste of what VR has to offer.
Thats a great first experience to have on a console, which I believe will strengthen that I love my PlayStation bond .

Plus the samsung odyssey and plus headsets are one of the best WMR(windows mixed reality) sets made.

I personally already have a MS mixed reality headset. Its great, but unless Im in the mood the draw in tiltbrush or try to play more of Alyx with impulse 101, it does gather dust next to my PC.
I do see MS losing gorund here, but theyre saying they already been there and done that with PC,
that theyre working on more important things right now and will most likely revisit the VR "scene" when it evolves more and without wires.

its tough becasue VR now currently is 30 percent gimmick, 30 percent wow factor, 30 percent cumbersome, 10 percent beat saber
My VR legs are about 40 minutes.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It's Capcom, which means that in a year or two we may see RE4VR Whatever Edition as PSVR2 launch game.

As I remember while ago Jimbo said they still didn't have a release date, but for sure weren't going to be released last year or during 2021. Add covid on top of that and expect a late 2022 or 2023 release.

Specially when they are supply constrained so they may not be able to scale up PS5 install base as fast as they scheduled for 2nd-3rd year due to the chips (demand will be hay higher than they predicted), and that's very important considering only around ~5% of the PS4 users bought a PSVR1 so they may want to release PSVR2 with a pretty big PS5 userbase.

Consider a full reveal with several games maybe around early fall 2022, a couple of months before its release, and an early hardware reveal/announcement teaser a few months before that, maybe around Spring 2022/E3-ish 2022.
As far as market adoption goes, although Sony did offer a ton of PSVR games (exclusives and third-party multiplatform), they didn't use their esteemed first-party IPs or developers for that.

Imagine a PSVR 2 game in the TLOU universe, or a proper full Spider-Man PSVR game by Insomniac, and a Ghost of Tsushima PSVR 2 Samurai game by Sucker Punch. The adoption rate will go up quite significantly. I think now that PSVR 2 and PS5 are actually very powerful and capable, Sony will use this strategy in at least some capacity (IPs, first-party devs, or IPs and first-party devs) to increase PSVR 2 and PS5 adoption.

yurinka

As far as market adoption goes, although Sony did offer a ton of PSVR games (exclusives and third-party multiplatform), they didn't use their esteemed first-party IPs or developers for that.

Imagine a PSVR 2 game in the TLOU universe, or a proper full Spider-Man PSVR game by Insomniac, and a Ghost of Tsushima PSVR 2 Samurai game by Sucker Punch. The adoption rate will go up quite significantly. I think now that PSVR 2 and PS5 are actually very powerful and capable, Sony will use this strategy in at least some capacity (IPs, first-party devs, or IPs and first-party devs) to increase PSVR 2 and PS5 adoption.
Yes, obviously if it had the biggest Sony IPs with the biggest Sony teams it would sell more. But to support VR means its visuals must be highly downgraded to boost fps and that that the gameplay must be heavily adapted and many genres don't adapt well.

So it means the cost would be too high, and considering its userbase it wouldn't be profitable. So forget seeing big AAA games from top studios making games for it.

But what it can happen is that if Sony studios keep growing a lot, each top Sony studio may get a small team to make some little, short VR experiences using their IPs.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

Lol imagine a full Spider-Man game in VR. $10 says you couldn’t play it for 10 minutes without puking. I feel sick just thinking about it.

rather have the psvr2 , be a premium product , than a cheapo shitter, hopefully will come with the next half life , vr shoes with vibrational pads , boom shaka lacka.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
This is good news, I miss the black levels from oculus quest 1 to 2. (but way prefer the enhanced resolution)
I was hoping the panel would be higher res but maybe with advanced rendering techniques and the power of the ps5 behind it, it will be amazing.

SilentUser

hope it’s easy to hookup and play. That PSVR1 was a pain

plug in stop motion GIF by Sub Pop Records
Well, Sony already said it is just one cord plugged to the USB C port in front of the PS5. Good enough, imo.

OT: OLED screen? That's cool and interesting. But since I'm such a tech noob, how does that helps a VR equipment?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
OLED is good to go but requires very high res. Quest 1 was one of biggest res OLED hmds and was still pixelated.
And honestly if it's not Wireless don't even bother. Quest 2 is 300 and have one of the best lcd vr screens in the market now and it's either wireless pc VR with airlink or standalone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom