• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Nintendo Plans Upgraded Switch Replacement as Soon as September

Airola

Rumor: This will be called the Super Switch.

Which is solid branding imo, it lets them walk that line between next gen and upgrade. Much better than Pro or Switch 2.

Rumor: This will be called the Switch U.

Which is solid branding imo, it lets them walk that line between next gen and upgrade. Much better than Pro or Switch 2.

Zannegan

Bloomberg has backed up what Emily Rogers said, I trust her on this
Well hold on--I'm being a little cynical here but--didn't Bloomberg say it first, and then Emily comes in to say, "Yeah, I've heard the same thing"?

The main thing I want to know is, what happened to that "announcement today/tomorrow"?

Again, being a little cynical, playing devil's advocate just a tad, but I like my insiders either on the money or quiet when it comes to announcements. For behind the scenes and inside baseball I'll take rumors all day because the narrative is interesting, and I take it all with a grain of salt, but verifiable stuff better be on or your name is mud.

Pagusas

Elden Member

Rumor: This will be called the Switch U.

Rumor: This will be called Wii Switch

Which is solid branding imo, it lets them walk that line between gender ambiguity.

Last edited:

Super Switch would be a fantastic name. I hope that is what it is called.

I’m ready to make some money off of these.

JimmyF

Well hold on--I'm being a little cynical here but--didn't Bloomberg say it first, and then Emily comes in to say, "Yeah, I've heard the same thing"?

The main thing I want to know is, what happened to that "announcement today/tomorrow"?

Again, being a little cynical, playing devil's advocate just a tad, but I like my insiders either on the money or quiet when it comes to announcements. For behind the scenes and inside baseball I'll take rumors all day because the narrative is interesting, and I take it all with a grain of salt, but verifiable stuff better be on or your name is mud.
Correct Bloomberg said it months ago, Emily doesn't know shit. She's the tool that "confirmed" Mother 3 on Wii U.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
My dreams:

Oled screen, wish it was 1080p despite the battery life. Small upgrade to portable specs, big jump when docked. (DLSS, some sort of boost in the dock)
Serious upgrade to the controllers.

More likely: 720P Oled screen, 30-40% boost overall to spec, enough to hit 1080p, with DLSS to fakish 4K (since DLSS is very good). Very minor changes to controllers.

THE DUCK

It’s not a joke and I don’t care if it’s popular or not. If some fools are willing to pay me double the retail then I’ll sell them some consoles:

Good for you I guess, bad for anyone who actually can't afford to pay double.
Karma will come around to collect at some time I assume when you are wanting something really bad.

Good for you I guess, bad for anyone who actually can't afford to pay double.
Karma will come around to collect at some time I assume when you are wanting something really bad.

There is no karma about this. It’s supply and demand. I used to buy vintage games until this past year. I’ve spent hundreds of dollars on a game. It was what the market commanded and I agreed that it was worth it and paid for it. There would be no scalpers if there wasn’t a market for scalping. It takes me time to buy these consoles, my time has a price. They’re paying for my efforts to get these consoles, which you know take a lot of effort.

THE DUCK

There is no karma about this. It’s supply and demand. I used to buy vintage games until this past year. I’ve spent hundreds of dollars on a game. It was what the market commanded and I agreed that it was worth it and paid for it. There would be no scalpers if there wasn’t a market for scalping. It takes me time to buy these consoles, my time has a price. They’re paying for my efforts to get these consoles, which you know take a lot of effort.

I don't generally deny capitalism, except when it interferes with peoples ability to have a good time and game.
The scalpers are only half the problem, the other is those overpaying to get one - which tend to be people with more extra cash.
The problem is it screws the less fortunate or 10yr old who saved his money who maybe can't afford to pay double.
I had a couple of extra units from the last pre-order and I sold them at cost, the people who bought them were so thankful, you could tell they couldn't afford to pay double to get one from a scalper. But not life and death either way though I suppose, this is probably about as moderate a line you will see here at GAF.

Also a tricky thing, if you are doing that as there is no other way to make ends meet and it's feeding your family, who am I to judge. But if it's just for extra cash, maybe not so much.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
My dreams:

Oled screen, wish it was 1080p despite the battery life. Small upgrade to portable specs, big jump when docked. (DLSS, some sort of boost in the dock)
Serious upgrade to the controllers.

More likely: 720P Oled screen, 30-40% boost overall to spec, enough to hit 1080p, with DLSS to fakish 4K (since DLSS is very good). Very minor changes to controllers.

My educated guesses just based on extrapolating from rumors:

GPU: At least 300% performance compared to Switch Tegra X1, plus resolution scaling abilities. Not enough to run Switch games in native 4K, but enough to run much better looking games in 1080p.

CPU: Guessing a die shrunk Carmel, which even in its 12nm form is just several times over what the Denver cores in the X1 could do. That said, it could be 4 core, 8 core, any frequency. Hard to guess exactly how much Nintendo is going to hedge on battery especially when we're likely talking about a die shrink.

But if we're looking to put it in a ballpark, I think we're going to see something similar in capability to a PS4, when we're talking native resolutions, enhanced somewhat by the ability to lean on DLSS (which might let it convincingly seem like a PS4 Pro in practice).

Screen: Maybe 720p, maybe 1080p, no more.

Controllers: compatible with existing Joycons, but might offer a revision as well.

I don't generally deny capitalism, except when it interferes with peoples ability to have a good time and game.
The scalpers are only half the problem, the other is those overpaying to get one - which tend to be people with more extra cash.
The problem is it screws the less fortunate or 10yr old who saved his money who maybe can't afford to pay double.
I had a couple of extra units from the last pre-order and I sold them at cost, the people who bought them were so thankful, you could tell they couldn't afford to pay double to get one from a scalper. But not life and death either way though I suppose, this is probably about as moderate a line you will see here at GAF.

Also a tricky thing, if you are doing that as there is no other way to make ends meet and it's feeding your family, who am I to judge. But if it's just for extra cash, maybe not so much.

The thing is, the people choosing to pay scalpers are willing to pay extra for something they cannot get. Never have I raised an agreed upon price. Every one of these were grown men who valued the consoles for this price for whatever reason. Them paying this price has no impact on a 10 year old or a family who can’t afford to pay scalpers prices because the people buying it are people who had interest in buying it regardless of price.

I see it no differently than buying old things on eBay, Etsy, or through any other medium. Why pay $3.75 million for a Wayne Gretzky rookie card? A pack of cards was probably a buck or two at most. I’m sure there’s some kid out there who would idolize this card because they learned about Wayne Gretzky.

While it doesn’t matter what I’ll do with my Switch Pro profits, I’ll probably use them to buy a Little Samson cart for the NES. Should I be angry that I can’t find one for under $1.5K? Maybe, but I’m not.

SF Kosmo

While it doesn’t matter what I’ll do with my Switch Pro profits, I’ll probably use them to buy a Little Samson cart for the NES. Should I be angry that I can’t find one for under $1.5K? Maybe, but I’m not.
I'll trade you a mint copy of Go Go Hypergrind for a PS5.

SF Kosmo

I remember thinking $100 was crazy for that game. Congrats!
I got it for $19 new lol. I only just realized recently it was worth something. My PS4 Pro ate it this week, and I'm trying to figure out if some of my goofy games might get me a PS5. I have a bunch of super rare DC stuff too, but I am less eager to sell those.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
So apparently they are going with a stand similar in nature to this, so kids can put it on their desk and play it like a mini tv. Good idea.

vz6pwvgoxehc7jy07r1q

I got it for $19 new lol. I only just realized recently it was worth something. My PS4 Pro ate it this week, and I'm trying to figure out if some of my goofy games might get me a PS5. I have a bunch of super rare DC stuff too, but I am less eager to sell those.

Nice! I can try to send you links to PS5 drops as they become available. It would be a cool addition to my collection, but I’d rather just help you out.

evanft

My educated guesses just based on extrapolating from rumors:

GPU: At least 300% performance compared to Switch Tegra X1, plus resolution scaling abilities. Not enough to run Switch games in native 4K, but enough to run much better looking games in 1080p.

CPU: Guessing a die shrunk Carmel, which even in its 12nm form is just several times over what the Denver cores in the X1 could do. That said, it could be 4 core, 8 core, any frequency. Hard to guess exactly how much Nintendo is going to hedge on battery especially when we're likely talking about a die shrink.

But if we're looking to put it in a ballpark, I think we're going to see something similar in capability to a PS4, when we're talking native resolutions, enhanced somewhat by the ability to lean on DLSS (which might let it convincingly seem like a PS4 Pro in practice).

Screen: Maybe 720p, maybe 1080p, no more.

Controllers: compatible with existing Joycons, but might offer a revision as well.

I think you may be onto something. My feeling is it's either going to be a Tegra X2 or some variant of the Xavier:

ProcessorCoresFrequencyMicro-
architecture
Core
configuration1
FrequencyGFLOPS
(FP32)
GFLOPS
(FP16)
TypeAmountBus
width
Band-
width
Availability
Model
number
CPUGPUMemoryAdoption
T194[135]Carmel8up to 2.26 GHzGV10B?[136] (Volta)512:32:16854–1377 MHz874–14101748–2820LPDDR4X16 GB256-bit137 GB/sMarch 2019
NX (15W)Carmel2, 4 or 6up to 1.4 GHz (Hexa and Quad Core) or up to 1.9 GHz (Dual Core)GV10B?(Volta)384:24:161100 MHz8451690LPDDR4X8 GB128-bit51.2 GB/sMarch 2020
NX (10W)Carmel2 or 4up to 1.2 GHz (Quad Core) or up to 1.5 GHz (Dual Core)GV10B?(Volta)384:24:16800 MHz6141229LPDDR4X8 GB128-bit51.2 GB/sMarch 2020

THE DUCK

The thing is, the people choosing to pay scalpers are willing to pay extra for something they cannot get. Never have I raised an agreed upon price. Every one of these were grown men who valued the consoles for this price for whatever reason. Them paying this price has no impact on a 10 year old or a family who can’t afford to pay scalpers prices because the people buying it are people who had interest in buying it regardless of price.

I see it no differently than buying old things on eBay, Etsy, or through any other medium. Why pay $3.75 million for a Wayne Gretzky rookie card? A pack of cards was probably a buck or two at most. I’m sure there’s some kid out there who would idolize this card because they learned about Wayne Gretzky.

Grown men buying your units doesn't prove anything, you aren't seeing the people at your door who can't afford the jacked up price. So yes it does have impact on a family, it's one or 2 or 10 less units available to other people who then can't buy find one available to buy at the the normal price. You can't just whitewash this fact away.

Definitely different that Gretzky card or old rare games, these are typically one offs, and you don't need them to play the current games. Not comparable at all to what you are doing.
Supply and demand, bla bla bla, that's the same argument arms dealers and drug dealers use, while it's clearly not the same as what you are doing, you can't just hide behind "supply and demand" to keep telling yourself it's just economics. I'm not alone in the opinion.

Grown men buying your units doesn't prove anything, you aren't seeing the people at your door who can't afford the jacked up price. So yes it does have impact on a family, it's one or 2 or 10 less units available to other people who then can't buy find one available to buy at the the normal price. You can't just whitewash this fact away.

Definitely different that Gretzky card or old rare games, these are typically one offs, and you don't need them to play the current games. Not comparable at all to what you are doing.
Supply and demand, bla bla bla, that's the same argument arms dealers and drug dealers use, while it's clearly not the same as what you are doing, you can't just hide behind "supply and demand" to keep telling yourself it's just economics. I'm not alone in the opinion.

Your argument is a logical fallacy of appeal to emotions. Whether people agree with you or not is irrelevant. Whether something is a collectible or current generation is irrelevant. Comparing a legal activity to an illegal activity is irrelevant. People are paid for the value of their work. In this case, my work is gathering consoles and selling them to parties that want them, but are not successful at obtaining them. This is basic economics from a fundamental point of view throughout social history. The demand for certain goods or services holds value and the market will pay for that value. It doesn’t matter who buys it. If an item is priced below demand, sells out, and then is purchased in the secondary market at a premium that means one of two things. Supply is too low to meet demand or the price is too low. Nobody is entitled to the goods of the world. Trying to shame me with a hypothetical story about kids not getting a $500 toy is not effective. We’re not talking about basic necessities to live here and we’re not talking about extortion. We’re talking about people offering something to others who gladly pay the price because that value luxury items. I’m sorry, you’re just not laying out a logical or convincing argument.

SF Kosmo

I think you may be onto something. My feeling is it's either going to be a Tegra X2 or some variant of the Xavier:

ProcessorCoresFrequencyMicro-
architecture
Core
configuration1
FrequencyGFLOPS
(FP32)
GFLOPS
(FP16)
TypeAmountBus
width
Band-
width
Availability
Model
number
CPUGPUMemoryAdoption
T194[135]Carmel8up to 2.26 GHzGV10B?[136] (Volta)512:32:16854–1377 MHz874–14101748–2820LPDDR4X16 GB256-bit137 GB/sMarch 2019
NX (15W)Carmel2, 4 or 6up to 1.4 GHz (Hexa and Quad Core) or up to 1.9 GHz (Dual Core)GV10B?(Volta)384:24:161100 MHz8451690LPDDR4X8 GB128-bit51.2 GB/sMarch 2020
NX (10W)Carmel2 or 4up to 1.2 GHz (Quad Core) or up to 1.5 GHz (Dual Core)GV10B?(Volta)384:24:16800 MHz6141229LPDDR4X8 GB128-bit51.2 GB/sMarch 2020
It's not an X2. X2 is obsolete and was never a good choice. Xavier is possible, it has tensor cores and could do DLSS, but it's big and it's power hungry.

A die shrink of Xavier seems totally possible though.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Your argument is a logical fallacy of appeal to emotions. Whether people agree with you or not is irrelevant. Whether something is a collectible or current generation is irrelevant. Comparing a legal activity to an illegal activity is irrelevant. People are paid for the value of their work. In this case, my work is gathering consoles and selling them to parties that want them, but are not successful at obtaining them. This is basic economics from a fundamental point of view throughout social history. The demand for certain goods or services holds value and the market will pay for that value. It doesn’t matter who buys it. If an item is priced below demand, sells out, and then is purchased in the secondary market at a premium that means one of two things. Supply is too low to meet demand or the price is too low. Nobody is entitled to the goods of the world. Trying to shame me with a hypothetical story about kids not getting a $500 toy is not effective. We’re not talking about basic necessities to live here and we’re not talking about extortion. We’re talking about people offering something to others who gladly pay the price because that value luxury items. I’m sorry, you’re just not laying out a logical or convincing argument.

Of course it's relevant, you just chose to say so as it's convenient to your lack of ethics. Illegal or not, it's the same idea, ignoring legality or right and wrong to justify the ends. You can be cold and logical about it all you want, it still negatively affects the average buyer. Multiply what you are doing by hundreds of other likewise minded individuals, and you have an artificial shortage driven by the very scalpers that claim they didn't cause anything. By your argument, you could run out and buy all the milk and bread in your area, charge double for it, and feel good as it's just business - pure economics. And yet you know the community would eat you alive for this, somehow it's not just pure economics.

The only part of your argument that has any validity is that it's a toy. First world problem, etc. However, you and I both know, that for some people, it becomes a little bit more than a toy, some people truly love playing games, and you are effectively reducing their chances of enjoying them. So feel great about that I guess.
Something tells me you aren't going to consider anything being said as it would interfere with you making money, which leads us back to no argument would be good enough to have you reconsider.

Of course it's relevant, you just chose to say so as it's convenient to your lack of ethics. Illegal or not, it's the same idea, ignoring legality or right and wrong to justify the ends. You can be cold and logical about it all you want, it still negatively affects the average buyer. Multiply what you are doing by hundreds of other likewise minded individuals, and you have an artificial shortage driven by the very scalpers that claim they didn't cause anything. By your argument, you could run out and buy all the milk and bread in your area, charge double for it, and feel good as it's just business - pure economics. And yet you know the community would eat you alive for this, somehow it's not just pure economics.

The only part of your argument that has any validity is that it's a toy. First world problem, etc. However, you and I both know, that for some people, it becomes a little bit more than a toy, some people truly love playing games, and you are effectively reducing their chances of enjoying them. So feel great about that I guess.
Something tells me you aren't going to consider anything being said as it would interfere with you making money, which leads us back to no argument would be good enough to have you reconsider.

Lack of ethics? It’s your opinion that it is unethical. The reality is that scalping is a minor fraction of the console sales market as has been proven through several analyses. It doesn’t create a significant disruption to the market. So your doomsday comparison to milk and bread is hyperbolic. On the other hand, I spent hours buying these consoles, my hours have a tangible value in the world. I’m choosing to use them for the profit that I make on them. It’s no different than offering any other kind of service for a few. If you want to keep thinking the way you do, that’s fine. We disagree. My argument is based on logical morals and yours is based on emotional morals. I’m okay with thinking you are wrong and your morals are irrational and you thinking that I’m wrong and an immoral person. There are a lot of things that society had and still deems right that are irrational and immoral. I’m perfectly content disagreeing with the majority because once again, appealing to the majority is a logical fallacy.

twerkouting

Banned
No, I never denied people using the Switch in Handheld mode. I know those people exist and greatly enjoy it and I don't want to talk this down in any way!

I'm just questioning the statement that handheld mode is the reason why this is the best selling console.
Oh gotcha. Probably not exclusively handheld mode but I think it's the novelty of it being a hybrid, providing both styles of play pretty competently for most consumers' gaming needs.

THE DUCK

Lack of ethics? It’s your opinion that it is unethical. The reality is that scalping is a minor fraction of the console sales market as has been proven through several analyses. It doesn’t create a significant disruption to the market. So your doomsday comparison to milk and bread is hyperbolic. On the other hand, I spent hours buying these consoles, my hours have a tangible value in the world. I’m choosing to use them for the profit that I make on them. It’s no different than offering any other kind of service for a few. If you want to keep thinking the way you do, that’s fine. We disagree. My argument is based on logical morals and yours is based on emotional morals. I’m okay with thinking you are wrong and your morals are irrational and you thinking that I’m wrong and an immoral person. There are a lot of things that society had and still deems right that are irrational and immoral. I’m perfectly content disagreeing with the majority because once again, appealing to the majority is a logical fallacy.

That's actually really well put. (not being disingenuous) But yes we can agree to disagree and the world continues.
Also while I may disagree "ethically" or "personally" I try really hard to not to judge another person's reality, because, like you say, I could be wrong. (of course I don't always succeed in this endeavor)

That's actually really well put. (not being disingenuous) But yes we can agree to disagree and the world continues.
Also while I may disagree "ethically" or "personally" I try really hard to not to judge another person's reality, because, like you say, I could be wrong. (of course I don't always succeed in this endeavor)

Agreed, glad we can have a conversation and come to different conclusions without getting angry with each other. The world could use more of that.

Woopah

Correct Bloomberg said it months ago, Emily doesn't know shit. She's the tool that "confirmed" Mother 3 on Wii U.
Emily sent a message on Wednesday that hardware news was sooner than we thought and she thought we'd see it either before or a few weeks after E3.

We then had the Bloomberg article on the Thursday and that backed up what Emily was saying by talking about a September or October launch.

Since then Nate said that it needs to be announced before E3 as third parties want to show their Switch Pro games at the event.

The Pro being announced this week was people speculating that Nintendo would want to announce it before the long weekend. I don't think Emily ever said what day the announcement was (or that she even knows this information).

Zannegan

Emily sent a message on Wednesday that hardware news was sooner than we thought and she thought we'd see it either before or a few weeks after E3.

We then had the Bloomberg article on the Thursday and that backed up what Emily was saying by talking about a September or October launch.

Since then Nate said that it needs to be announced before E3 as third parties want to show their Switch Pro games at the event.

The Pro being announced this week was people speculating that Nintendo would want to announce it before the long weekend. I don't think Emily ever said what day the announcement was (or that she even knows this information).
Well, if Emily turns out to be correct then Emily shall have my respect (though for vague predictions my respect is equally watered-down =P). Nibel seemed pretty sure of what was being said though. Do we blame Emily for hinting or him for "extrapolating"?

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member

Do you expect us to believe this??

Woopah

Well, if Emily turns out to be correct then Emily shall have my respect (though for vague predictions my respect is equally watered-down =P). Nibel seemed pretty sure of what was being said though. Do we blame Emily for hinting or him for "extrapolating"?
I think insider info is being mixed up with speculation (as often happens). Emily knows the announcement is coming in the next few weeks but I don't think she ever said she knew the exact day.
Do you expect us to believe this??
Yes I do https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...-free-palestine.418404/page-308#post-65804474

Orta

Banned
Top Bottom