• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Nintendo Plans Upgraded Switch Replacement as Soon as September

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Looking forward to hearing what this is.
Im hoping longer battery life, better tech, not just 4k upgrade for TV’s
From the sound of it, it's going to be a new-gen Ampere-based chip, with improved CPU, GPU, and tensor cores for upscaling/DLSS.

That's a pretty big upgrade. My hope is that Nintendo doesn't cuff developers to the old hardware by making it strictly a "Pro" console. This is probably more than just a resolution/GPU boost like the PS4 and Xbox pro skus, and treating it like one would be a waste.

Kappa

Good rule of thumb with new Nintendo hardware is to expect to be doubly-underwhelmed. It works like this:

There is the current state of the art of mass produced tech, let's say a cut down mobile variant of Nvidia's 3000 series on 7nm.

Then there is a generation of tech BEHIND that.

Then there is what Nintendo will actually deliver, which is a big step back from that. So it will probably be a custom variant Tegra X2 with hopefully some modern bells and whistles, and for the love of god, some actual bandwidth this time. And they will be saving pennies on the dollar to go this route instead of something actually new and awesome, and yet they will do it this way.
This x10000000

We will get spec bumps at current res, so 1080p 60 will be the norm *docked*. And if we are lucky oled.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The original was $299? It was the equivalent of $450 here in Sweden, lol. Always getting ripped off! (A PS5 is $725)

Anyway, I'll buy a Switch Pro day 1 if BotW2 is there and looks significantly better on it.

gypsygib

Screen resolution doesn't have much impact, it's mostly screensize and how it's backlit.

I have a £400 mobile phone that's almost 4k resolution and has 10 hour battery life.
Probably doesn't have 10 hrs battery life playing games constantly. But you're right about resolution, not sure how much more power is drawn going from 720p to 1080p but I doubt it's anywhere near 40-50%.

They could always give the more battery life conscious the option for "battery saver mode" in 720p too with a 1080p normal mode. Totally agree that it makes no sense not including a 1080p screen. At that resolution/ppi everything looks very sharp on small screens and very close to much higher resolutions. 720p still looks blurry however.

carlosrox

Banned
Looking forward to hearing what this is.
Im hoping longer battery life, better tech, not just 4k upgrade for TV’s

I'm the opposite.

I definitely prefer docked improvements. The handheld aspects are already more than enough for me and I don't do the handheld thing nearly as much as docked, even though it's still a great feature I have put time into.

In fact I kinda hope the OLED rumor isn't true cuz I want as much as possible of the cost/improvements to go into the meat of the console itself and I'm worried OLED will eat up quite a bit of that cost.

Kokoloko85

I'm the opposite.

I definitely prefer docked improvements. The handheld aspects are already more than enough for me and I don't do the handheld thing nearly as much as docked, even though it's still a great feature I have put time into.

In fact I kinda hope the OLED rumor isn't true cuz I want as much as possible of the cost/improvements to go into the meat of the console itself and I'm worried OLED will eat up quite a bit of that cost.

Screen Im not too bothered about, Id also prefer something to keep the costs down.

I just want better battery and improvement in tech so we can get more current gen ports and maybe some of the older Switch games running on 60fps now.

Meesh

My gut tells me Switch Pro to extend sales even further with releases of certain LEs for Zelda and the like. Bring back some of those DS type LEs! NES, SNES.

Switch 2 will follow in another 3 or 4 years, as will the typical end of days Nintendo doom, the glorious melt down memes, and 50 shades of fanboy love and hate.

Marvel14

Banned
My gut tells me Switch Pro to extend sales even further with releases of certain LEs for Zelda and the like. Bring back some of those DS type LEs! NES, SNES.

Switch 2 will follow in another 3 or 4 years, as will the typical end of days Nintendo doom, the glorious melt down memes, and 50 shades of fanboy love and hate.
You've seen many a console war in your day...too many...haven't you ?

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I think they already went from 20nm (or was it 28nm?) to 16nm in their refresh a couple years ago. I hope to god they can go smaller than 16nm to meet production.

I'm guessing they'll go 12nm or 14nm, both of which actually won't give them too much headroom for improvement per watt, but we'll see. Sucks considering 7nm should be the standard by now, if not smaller. But such is the times.

Good rule of thumb with new Nintendo hardware is to expect to be doubly-underwhelmed. It works like this:

There is the current state of the art of mass produced tech, let's say a cut down mobile variant of Nvidia's 3000 series on 7nm.

Then there is a generation of tech BEHIND that.

Then there is what Nintendo will actually deliver, which is a big step back from that. So it will probably be a custom variant Tegra X2 with hopefully some modern bells and whistles, and for the love of god, some actual bandwidth this time. And they will be saving pennies on the dollar to go this route instead of something actually new and awesome, and yet they will do it this way.
I’m not so sure, I think all bets are off this time around. Nobody ever expected them to use Tegra X1 and yet that’s what we got.

Prior to that, the “Nintendo way” was to create some custom chip design that was inferior to the reasonably priced off-the-shelf chips they should’ve used.

Also Switch was a total wildcard that came out in the wake of Wii U’s abysmal failure. Rumor was they got a really good deal on Tegra X1 chips so that’s why they used it. I think they would be willing to go a little bigger this time now that the Switch is a proven success and is still dominating sales charts.

So yeah who knows. Nintendo gonna Nintendo. Wish I had a dollar for every way-off-the-mark Nintendo prediction I’ve read. The only sure thing about Nintendo is that past Nintendo behavior is not a guarantee of future Nintendo behavior.

Nut

Neo Member
Any chance the new Switch gets a Display Port output?

Me over here with my DP-only input monitor and not wanting to pay for an expensive and likely unreliable active adapter.

SF Kosmo

Rumor: This will be called the Super Switch.

Which is solid branding imo, it lets them walk that line between next gen and upgrade. Much better than Pro or Switch 2.

Ezquimacore

Banned
Any chance the new Switch gets a Display Port output?

Me over here with my DP-only input monitor and not wanting to pay for an expensive and likely unreliable active adapter.
there are hdmi to dp cables, I have one and works. Bought it for $6.

Animagic

Banned
RIP any normal human that tries to buy one vs automated botnets.
I’ll buy one when I can walk into a store and buy one off the shelf. Not going through the frantic mess trying to get one until then.

RIP any normal human that tries to buy one vs automated botnets.
I’ll buy one when I can walk into a store and buy one off the shelf. Not going through the frantic mess trying to get one until then.

Probably aint going to be able to buy one for like 2 years.

This Valve handheld could be interesting. Wonder if that could take the place of the swtich for me

wipeout364

I bought the switch lite and regretted it ever since I got it. I really want the TV functionality I just don’t use handhelds enough so I hope it’s a substantial upgrade.

Starhowl

Cool, that means a new nVidia Shield Pro is coming this year since they're both using the same chip and they need to free capacities for the Nintendo Switch revision! ✌️

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
From the sound of it, it's going to be a new-gen Ampere-based chip, with improved CPU, GPU, and tensor cores for upscaling/DLSS.

That's a pretty big upgrade. My hope is that Nintendo doesn't cuff developers to the old hardware by making it strictly a "Pro" console. This is probably more than just a resolution/GPU boost like the PS4 and Xbox pro skus, and treating it like one would be a waste.
So that would be a new gen then if old switches couldn't run some games?

SF Kosmo

But the super Nintendo was a new gen
Exactly. That's what I'm saying, it can kind of read both ways. And probably this wants to be a bit of both, it's a replacement sku for the original and is going to probably rely on cross-compatible games at first but with a true generational leap in power.
So that would be a new gen then if old switches couldn't run some games?
It would be a new platform at least. But "generations" have grown a little ambiguous. I mean even things like DSi and New 3DS has exclusive titles but they weren't really seen as new gens.

I think this is going to sort of straddle that line. It is a new gen but might not be positioned as one right away.

Last edited:

nordique

I very much doubt that. It's the games. I have 4 Friends that own a switch and not a single one of them has removed the console from the docking station even once. They all bought it, hooked up to the TV and that's it.

Yes, but you still pay for the Battery, Screen, etc. If they'd sell a "switch box" for 50$ less than the normal switch, or like slightly above switch lite price, I'd buy it.

and everyone I know has removed the switch from its dock. In fact a few a of my friends play exclusively portably with switch lite

cannot simply use anecdotes as the switch is a unique platform that caters to different gamer tastes and play styles. I certainly play docked but I also play portable just as much

CuNi

and everyone I know has removed the switch from its dock. In fact a few a of my friends play exclusively portably with switch lite

cannot simply use anecdotes as the switch is a unique platform that caters to different gamer tastes and play styles. I certainly play docked but I also play portable just as much

Ok, let me rephrase it then a bit, maybe I worded my argument poorly.

Would you have bought the switch, if it had all the same features, except the docked/Handheld mode?
Because I assume most of the people will say yes to this because people buy it for the games. Ofc there will some that will say no, and that's fair, but I am certain a majority did not buy the switch because it had Handheld mode, but that it was a neat additional feature that it had, but it was not the selling point. And that's exactly what a gimmick is. Something nice to have that attracts attention, but I would not say it was the main selling point.

Also, switch lite is hard to use as a argument for and against handheld mode as it is also reduced in price and could be seen as a entry device into the ecosystem.

Zannegan

Emily Rogers full of it, or are we still waiting on the last time zone or something?

I'm ready to see this thing already.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Honestly I think it’s a terrible move.

Wait a little so you can get 5mn parts cheap, call it the super switch, sell at same price, deprecate switch. In 3 years announce you’re no longer mandating support for old switch.

Boom. You’re now running the iPhone business model.

Zannegan

What a useless console the first Switch will have been if the upgrade happens so soon...
Seriously? After four and half years on the market it's "too soon" for an upgrade? The DS Lite must have really hacked you off then.

EDIT: Now the Wii U, only having a four year lifespan before the Switch arrived, and then having most of its library ported over, THAT I could see you calling a useless console. And its central feature was so iffy in execution too.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Seriously? After four and half years on the market it's "too soon" for an upgrade? The DS Lite must have really hacked you off then.
As a Wii U owner, I can tell you that nothing meaningful was released on this console since launch. We were promised Metroid Prime 4 and Bayo 3, we should actually have waited for the next console. What a joke.

Last edited:

Zannegan

As a Wii U owner, I can tell you that nothing meaningful was released on this console since launch. We were promised Metroid Prime 4 and Bayo 3, we should actually have waited for the next console. What a joke.
Don't forget SMT.

I dunno. I tend to buy consoles on the strength of the software available not the promise of future titles, and I still think there was plenty to justify both the Switch and the Wii U in their first four years, despite significant droughts.

The only way I agree with your argument is if this is positioned as a successor and not a refresh. If those games still come to the Switch in a playable state, then we'll get what's promised.

To be clear, I'm not disagreeing that we really should be awaiting Prime 5 by now rather than 4. And though there were extentuating circumstances (including a complete restart) as a consumer, that's really not my problem. I just care about the games they deliver, not the reasons they couldn't bring more. I'd also like to know what the hell Retro was up to forever.

With all that being acknowledged though, calling the Switch a joke or a waste or saying nothing meaningful was released feels like hyperbole at best. I've had a ton of fun with the Switch library, and that's coming from a fairly active Wii U owner too.

EDIT: I think the takeaway here is that Nintendo needs to avoid announcing stuff so early rather than that the Switch was a waste, but that's just me.

Last edited:

Same ol G

I'll believe it when Nintendo announces it.
I'm done with these fake reports and so called insiders jumping on the bandwagon.
How many times did we see these reports, insiders confirming they have the same information and at the end we get nothing.

Same ol G

YOU should have waited, i'm also waiting for those games but i have enough to play in the meantime.

John Wick

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-05-27-nintendo-switch-pro-to-be-unveiled-before-e3

Nintendo's long-awaited Switch upgrade is expected to be shown ahead of E3 2021, according to a report published by Bloomberg [paywall] today and Eurogamer's own sources.

I understand this is to ensure third-parties working on games which support the upgraded Switch are free to announce these projects at E3, and before Nintendo's own digital showcase later in that week.

(Nintendo's event has yet to be formally dated but is currently set to slot in after other publishers towards the end of E3, though of course dates can still shift.)

A pre-E3 airing also allows Nintendo to focus its E3 reveals on its upcoming software line-up, where fans hope to hear updates on the long-awaited Breath of the Wild 2 and long, long-awaited Metroid Prime 4.

Bloomberg's report states the new Switch will be released in "September or October" and be sold alongside the cheaper Switch Lite, with the current Switch model phased out over time.

Switch manufacture has been difficult over the past year, Bloomberg says, with part shortages affecting manufacture. But the Switch is able to avoid the more serious chip shortages which have affected PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S as it uses different components.

Nintendo has form in revealing new hardware, or details such as the name of an upcoming system, ahead of E3 itself for similar reasons. Nintendo 3DS was first announced several months prior to E3 2010, and we also first heard the name "Wii" a month before E3 2006 so everyone could get used to that.

Nintendo Switch's upcoming release schedule still has plenty of gaps for the rest of this year, though yesterday's dual announcements of Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl in November plus Pokémon Legends Arceus in January 2022 began to fill in the pieces. All eyes are on Nintendo now at E3 - and before it - for how the rest of 2021 will shape up.

We've contacted Nintendo for comment.
If this costs £399 then I don't see it selling no where near as much as the Switch. Outside enthusiast gamers it's too expensive for what the majority will perceive as a handheld.

Zannegan

If this costs £399 then I don't see it selling no where near as much as the Switch. Outside enthusiast gamers it's too expensive for what the majority will perceive as a handheld.
It would have to be a real beast to get me to upgrade at that price. I've looking forward to upgrading in hopes that some of the legacy software will run decently in local co-op (Warriors games for one), but for $400? It had better besignificantly more than a nice screen and an upscaling dock or I'm out.

MrSec84

Probably doesn't have 10 hrs battery life playing games constantly. But you're right about resolution, not sure how much more power is drawn going from 720p to 1080p but I doubt it's anywhere near 40-50%.

They could always give the more battery life conscious the option for "battery saver mode" in 720p too with a 1080p normal mode. Totally agree that it makes no sense not including a 1080p screen. At that resolution/ppi everything looks very sharp on small screens and very close to much higher resolutions. 720p still looks blurry however.

This could be where DLSS Ultra Performance mode comes in, to make an image as good or close to native 720p, by AI Upscaling from something like 640X360, I just watched a video a youtuber put in October of Death Stranding running with those settings and the technology was good enough to allow for DLSS to even output to 1080p.
This could be the key to both massively improved battery life and a big upgrade to performance of frame rates too.

The GPU could be using tiny amounts of power, even on current gen games in portable mode.

Woopah

The camera tracked your face to align the parallax barrier screens so the 3D sweet spot followed you. Really cool
This is true but I consider that an upgraded feature rather a new gimmick (a new type of HD rumble in Switch would be the equivalent in my opinion)
Emily Rogers full of it, or are we still waiting on the last time zone or something?

I'm ready to see this thing already.
Bloomberg has backed up what Emily Rogers said, I trust her on this
That's quite hyperbolic, there's been plenty of meaningful first party releases. Plus Metroid Prime 4 and Bayo 3 are the outliers, the vast majority of new Nintendo games have been announced and released in 18 months or less.

Nautilus

Banned
Eh, people said the same thing about the OG Switch way back in january 2017.

Not only it is perceived as a hybrid console(both home console and handeld.And this will be especially true for this Pro version), but also the quality of the software and overall appeal of the hardware is highly desirable.

Obviously the OG Switch will still be the main product driving Switch hardware sales, and I do think discontinuing it, assuming the Pro is that expensive, would be a mistake, but it will sell more than you think.I mean, just look at the Lite.

Last edited:
Top Bottom