• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Nintendo Plans Upgraded Switch Replacement as Soon as September

"Nintendo Co. plans to begin assembly of its new Switch as soon as July and release the upgraded replacement for its four-year-old game console in September or October, people familiar with the matter said.

The new console, likely to be priced higher than the $299 original, may be announced ahead of the E3 conference starting June 12 to allow publishers to showcase their full range of Switch games at the global event, the people said, asking not to be named because the plans are not yet public. It will be sold alongside the $199 Switch Lite, with the standard Switch phased out over time."

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I believe it. I am interested to see if this feels more like a 2 or a Pro. According to this it's going to be a replacement sku, which says more Pro, but the specs being thrown around before sound like a more substantial upgrade.

Of course a lot of that will come down to software and whether or not Nintendo is going to be pushing for exclusives on the new hardware.

TLZ

Banned
ughhhhhhhhhhh I bet scalpers can smell blood
rubbing hands GIF

Varteras

Gold Member
I'm not sure I believe this. I mean, I fully expect an upgraded Switch. But the current version has already experienced stock issues. I had to drive an hour away to get one because no stores anywhere near me had them. It's a hell of a time right now for any manufacturers to keep stock up. I feel like the far more likely scenario is they begin production this Summer but target a Spring 2022 release. I believe I read that Nintendo has said the Switch is at the halfway point of its life so I'm thinking they're planning on a 7 to 8 year timeline before they move on to completely new hardware. Waiting until 2022 wouldn't be so bad.

Robb

Gold Member
New hardware is always exciting!

If they launch a Swith Pro and BotW2 bundle this year I'll probably buy it (assuming the Switch Pro will be a somewhat substantial upgrade).

UnNamed

Banned
Screen resolution doesn't have much impact, it's mostly screensize and how it's backlit.

I have a £400 mobile phone that's almost 4k resolution and has 10 hour battery life.
Yes it does. Render at 1080p requires more power since you double the resolution.

10hrs battery is what you have in idle or with very light processes in background, not with CPU/GPU throttling.

carlosrox

Banned
Phasing out the current Switch may not be the best idea IMO?

Don't they run the risk of this model being too expensive and not selling as well as the current Switch?

The Lite doesn't sell as well as the current Switch...

Either way this is the news I love to hear. Nintendo console news is always music to my ears.

Really hope this thing is as powerful as some of the rumors have suggested.

Screen resolution doesn't have much impact, it's mostly screensize and how it's backlit.

I have a £400 mobile phone that's almost 4k resolution and has 10 hour battery life.
Screen resolution doesn't matter on its own, render resolution does. A 720p screen will mean a solid cap on how hard the GPU has to work to make sharp visuals on it, thus a cap on how fast it can drain the battery.

Your phone doesn't run games at the screen resolution. Most mobile games are somewhere around 720p to 1080p in resolution. And a graphically average complex game will drain your phone battery easily within 2 hours.

CuNi

Nintendo sticking to the "gimmick" of every console they create is a blessing and a curse.
With the Switch, it's the portable mode..
What would I give for them to just make a small box that you can hook up to the TV and use like a regular console. I don't need this whole "Take it with you wherever you go" stuff and I am not quit willing to pay for hardware I'm never going to use.

Nintendo sticking to the "gimmick" of every console they create is a blessing and a curse.
What would I give for them to just make a small box that you can hook up to the TV and use like a regular console. I don't need this whole "Take it with you wherever you go" stuff and I am not quit willing to pay for hardware I'm never going to use.
It's not a gimmick, it's the unique selling point. It's what made the Switch the most profitable console of all time.

jigglet

Banned
It's not a gimmick, it's the unique selling point. It's what made the Switch the most profitable console of all time.

Seriously. Can't believe people still think this is a gimmick lmao. Sales won't persuade them. No that's no indicator. Fan feedback is no indicator. Nope, fake news. Nope, all bullshit.

I fucking love playing something like Ring Fit or BOTW on the big screen, then carrying it to my bed for a quick 20 mins of Animal Crossing before lights out. It's brilliant.

Zannegan

it will finally be PS4-grade.
As a handheld, with modern features? Call me easy but I'd be okay with that upgrade, especially as a mid-gen refresh.

I mean, the current Switch isn't even half an Xbox 1 in terms of raw GPU grunt, so a 3-4x jump isn't bad, provided the price is right (for which I won't hold my breath, lol).

Banjo64

cumsessed
I mean, the docked Switch when you take the joycons off it listerally a small box that’s hooked up to the TV and acts like a regular console. Just sell your joycons and buy a pro pad.

CuNi

I very much doubt that. It's the games. I have 4 Friends that own a switch and not a single one of them has removed the console from the docking station even once. They all bought it, hooked up to the TV and that's it.
I mean, the docked Switch when you take the joycons off it listerally a small box that’s hooked up to the TV and acts like a regular console. Just sell your joycons and buy a pro pad.

Yes, but you still pay for the Battery, Screen, etc. If they'd sell a "switch box" for 50$ less than the normal switch, or like slightly above switch lite price, I'd buy it.

Top Bottom