• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Netflix Plans to Offer Video Games in Expansion Beyond Films, TV

"Netflix Inc., marking its first big move beyond TV shows and films, is planning an expansion into video games and has hired a former Electronic Arts Inc. and Facebook Inc. executive to lead the effort, Bloomberg News reports.

Mike Verdu will join Netflix as vice president of game development, reporting to Chief Operating Officer Greg Peters, the company said on Wednesday. Verdu was previously Facebook’s vice president in charge of working with developers to bring games and other content to Oculus virtual-reality headsets."

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
DvsrfmS.gif

Keihart

That's pretty
2x

Edit: The dude mentioned in the OP is somehow responsible for the Oculus Store exclusive content? If that's any indication of what Netflix could offer then that's some genuine hype. Oculus exclusives are some of the best VR games available.

Last edited:
Good luck.

I hope this guy negotiated a salary that's incredibly front loaded.

Also. Gaf should have a pinned thread or something where everyone can place their bets as to how long the newest competitor will last.

Pretty neat - not expecting anything more than vr and maybe mobile/smaller indie stuff. Ea/ubi will prob want to get their styff on any and all platforms for i could see them licensing some games out

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I had a feeling this was going to happen; streaming is the future and an obvious move, specially when you already have all the infrastructure in place for content delivery.

I guess it is still a good time to buy some stock, but I should have gotten in earlier.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So how would that work for people who uses NF strictly off their TV?

You got to buy a dongle or NF USB stick and then link up a controller? Or do TVs have built in capabilities to link up with game pads?

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
To run or to ruin their new gaming division? 🤡

Good luck Netflix, you'll need more than that! We it be worse than Stadia? All hopes are allowed! 😂

Angela Lansbury Reaction GIF

I love Murder She Wrote, Jessica Fletcher is one of my all time favorite TV people.

Virtual Reality GIF

So I instantly remembered she had a VR episode.

Netflix gaming is gonna flop hard though, Jessica (Angela Lansbury) told me.

kingfey

Banned
To run or to ruin their new gaming division? 🤡

Good luck Netflix, you'll need more than that! We it be worse than Stadia? All hopes are allowed! 😂

Angela Lansbury Reaction GIF
If anything, I would trust netflix to do better than stadia, or luna. They are the ones who made cloud subscription, and cloud movies. They are very smart in this division. Its better not underestimate them.

Fascinating. That's why we will see more acquisitions. Hope MS will gobble up another set of studios or publishers. Bidding race gonna fierce and in hindsight Bethesda is gonna be a steal (it is already is basically). MS should hurry too because other companies are also looking into acquisitions. We should add to that the desire of companies to spend money due to inflation and oh boy it is gonna be spicy!

With the amount of studios out there, IPs and so on the amount of games gonna be immense. All that third party content, time exclusives and so on.

That Switch Pro 4K rumor really worked out for them.
There is no indication that Nintendo did not plan for 4K Switch but decided just to upgrade the display due to shortage. After all new Switch requires new microchips.

Last edited:
I love Murder She Wrote, Jessica Fletcher is one of my all time favorite TV people.

Virtual Reality GIF

So I instantly remembered she had a VR episode.

Netflix gaming is gonna flop hard though, Jessica (Angela Lansbury) told me.
So do i. The VR game is like a mix between Doom and 7th Guest. I love the final saisons of the show (the cross over with Magnum is so good!).

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
they hired some mobile and vr execs. doesnt look like they will be going after traditional games like stadia did.

that said, these guys dont give a fuck. they spend $20 billion a year on programming. $12 billion of which are on new stuff. they can easily make Sony, MS and Nintendo look like chumps if they start to pump out content. Think Ubisoft meets EA. Sony and MS with their 2-3 big AAA games a year simply wont be able to match their output.

That said, they will need to go the streaming route and no one gave a fuck about Stadia so unless they buy EA, Square and Ubisoft, no one is going to give a shit unless they somehow start making AAA games out of thin air.

Last edited:
Top Bottom