• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Multiple potential Buyers interested in Square Enix (Debunked: See OP)

I don't see this happening.

If it does, I hope Tencent or something buys it. Better keep it Multiplatform.

Tencent has a 40% stake in Epic. Epic Games Store recently got exclusivity for Kingdom Hearts and World Ends With You on PC from Square-Enix. S-E has been focused primarily on Sony systems. Sony and Epic have been publicly jerking each other off this last year leading to two investments in the last 10 months from Sony to Epic for a total of $450 million...

WdDtiJv.jpg

Tencent/Epic is in cahoots with Sony to take Square-Enix and keep them on PS5 and EGS.

Wizz-Art

I’d like to point out that after the Bethesda acquisition we’ve seen multiple Xbox partner studios decide to remain independent or take offers from other huge corporations in the form of investments. If Xbox aligned studios are unwilling to gobbled up by them

First time ever hearing this, what are you talking about?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
If anything this will fit Sony just perfectly. MS? Well, they'll be protected mostly by the Japanese government, and if the deal was too risky they might even buy the company themselves like they did with Vaio from Sony.

Last edited:

ToadMan

Maybe you should check their accounts before making such a delusional statement, they are making more money than Disney, AT&T and as much as Amazon were making in 2018.
They also have more cash than Tencent.

Their biggest purchase was less than half of what SE is worth without premium and not accounting for a bidding war.

Its not impossible but I seriously doubt its Sony who gets them in the end.

I don't think anyone is buying Sqeenix right now.

Go look at the share price - it's been rising steadily since last week. This cat was out of the bag (if indeed the cat was alive) long before it appeared on Bloomberg and then GAF. Already rose by several percent and this rumor is pumping it today.

If there was a story here, it has been and gone - publicly traded companies negotiating acquisitions don't let the markets catch on because it drives up the price and neither MS or Sony or anyone else is going to get into a bidding war, not to mention Sqeenix will choose their groom for themselves. If it was gonna happen it would've been like zenimax - bolt from the blue no one was expecting.

EDIT : Oh there's Sqeenix statement...

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I don't think anyone is buying Sqeenix right now.

Go look at the share price - it's been rising steadily since last week. This cat was out of the bag (if indeed the cat was alive) long before it appeared on Bloomberg and then GAF. Already rose by several percent and this rumor is pumping it today.

If there was a story here, it has been and gone - publicly traded companies negotiating acquisitions don't let the markets catch on because it drives up the price and neither MS or Sony or anyone else is going to get into a bidding war, not to mention Sqeenix will choose their groom for themselves. If it was gonna happen it would've been like zenimax - bolt from the blue no one was expecting.

EDIT : Oh there's Sqeenix statement...

I think they're a bit too expensive, but Sony is a protected company by the Japanese government and they'll definitely lease the price for them if needed. They can as well milk all the IP's in series/movies/mobile gaming to rapidly recover from a potential $13-14B price. Sony has more than $44B cash on hand as well, and gaming is one of its main businesses and profitable.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
It's possible Microsoft is forcing Sony's hand here on purpose. If they run the price up on SE, and Sony overspends, Playstation probably won't be adding new studios anytime soon. MS can then probably purchase the Japanese IPs they're so hellbent on getting (I thought the ACG rumor was bullshit but maybe they really are interested in Konami IPs). They could potentially purchase Sega as well, unless the Japanese government gets involved. Sony won't be in a position to defend their turf sadly.
SE already said rumor is false.

Last edited:

Elog

I think that is an interestingly worded PR. From someone that has been deeply involved in several similar processes, what they are stating is 1) that no bid has been received and 2) they are not looking into divesting the gaming business as a whole or in parts.

If there is a discussion between the controlling shareholder, i.e. Yasuhiro Fukushima, and an external party the PR does not cover that.

And if there is such a discussion, Mr. Fukushima most likely is thinking mostly about legacy and that his company lands in safe hands now when he is old. One way to do that is to sell his controlling stake to someone he trusts. In my mind that rules out both MS and Tenecent for cultural reasons but could involve Sony. If (big if) there is such a discussion a soaring share price based on speculation is actually a problem that needs to be solved. That is achieved with the PR.

So my take-away is that if there is a discussion ongoing it is between controlling shareholders and some counter-party - not the whole company per the PR - and the only real counterpart in that is in my mind Sony (if such a discussion is being held).

I think that is an interestingly worded PR. From someone that has been deeply involved in several similar processes, what they are stating is 1) that no bid has been received and 2) they are not looking into divesting the gaming business as a whole or in parts.

If there is a discussion between the controlling shareholder, i.e. Yasuhiro Fukushima, and an external party the PR does not cover that.

And if there is such a discussion, Mr. Fukushima most likely is thinking mostly about legacy and that his company lands in safe hands now when he is old. One way to do that is to sell his controlling stake to someone he trusts. In my mind that rules out both MS and Tenecent for cultural reasons but could involve Sony. If (big if) there is such a discussion a soaring share price based on speculation is actually a problem that needs to be solved. That is achieved with the PR.

So my take-away is that if there is a discussion ongoing it is between controlling shareholders and some counter-party - not the whole company per the PR - and the only real counterpart in that is in my mind Sony (if such a discussion is being held).
This PR statement is mainly to deal with stock price increase due to the rumors. The discussion is 100% ongoing, but now it is just under the wraps.

turtlepowa

Banned
The price to outbid Sony, SE don’t come cheap and they’d have to throw out a hefty amount to out them. Doesn’t matter as it’s debunked now anyway.
Neither of them would go that high, not even close. It would be low and single digit. But you are right, for now we have a statement.

Krizalidx11

Banned
Maybe you should check their accounts before making such a delusional statement, they are making more money than Disney, AT&T and as much as Amazon were making in 2018.
They also have more cash than Tencent.

Yeah, they paid those devs who didn't work for 2 months when Covid19 hit last year, their PC releases got effected by it and pushed them all to 2021, Days Gone PC release was planned to hit a year ago but Covid19 happened, they make money like everyone else but they spend it back at a lot of things, mind telling me why they stopped developing smaller non-AAA games? they got no money to gamble on smaller non-cinematic games

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yeah, they paid those devs who didn't work for 2 months when Covid19 hit last year, their PC releases got effected by it and pushed them all to 2021, Days Gone PC release was planned to hit a year ago but Covid19 happened, they make money like everyone else but they spend it back at a lot of things, mind telling me why they stopped developing smaller non-AAA games? they got no money to gamble on smaller non-cinematic games
Smaller games as in developing Destruction All Stars, Sackboy, Concrete Genie, and Dreams? Or supporting smaller studios and games, such as Little Devil Inside, Kena, Godfall, Maquette, Oddworld: Soulstorm, Sifu?

Square-Enix basically only releases games on Xbox because MS pays them to at this point. And if MS doesn't pay them to, well, then you have Nier Replicant remaster. Nier Automata didn't get that Xbox port until after MS opened the wallet for example. And it's not the only franchise like this, the vast majority of Square-Enix Japan's catalog has long been Playstation or Nintendo only. DQ doesn't exist on Xbox and FF barely exists on Xbox. Even FF7 Remake didn't get released on Xbox which is kind of hilarious, that's how not relevant Xbox is to Square-Enix Japan.

The only thing MS would really get out of an SE acquisition would be basically the old Eidos (now Square-Enix Europe) properties like Tomb Raider and Deus Ex and I really doubt MS thinks making TR and DX Xbox-only will magically drive sales and bring Xbox to world domination.
Exactly. Which is all the more reason I think Microsoft buying Square-Enix wouldn’t make a lick of sense financially for either side. Games like Final Fantasy and Dragonquest would literally die and even games like Tomb Raider and Deus Ex won’t make much of an impact. Most people just associate them those games with Sony or Nintendo generally.

To be truthfully honest though, I doubt anyone will acquire Square-Enix though anytime soon, if ever unless they are on the verge of bankruptcy or something.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
I believe Kingdom Hearts could only be a Disney project to work.

I don't. Sony already has a working relationship with Disney. And kingdoms hearts at least the first 2 entries had a lot of Square characters. I think they could do a collaboration. And Disney/Sony could split the revenue and Sony could get kick back by producing it, and agreeing to let it reside on Disney+.

MadPanda

Banned
Game Pass is a digital only service that potentially can exist solely to prevent people from purchasing physical media, as Microsoft gets most of the profits off of them.

Do you realize that most of the games sold for PlayStation are digital, that Sony has made a cheaper digital only console and that Sony gets more money from digital games?

onesvenus

Exactly. Which is all the more reason I think Microsoft buying Square-Enix wouldn’t make a lick of sense financially for either side. Games like Final Fantasy and Dragonquest would literally die and even games like Tomb Raider and Deus Ex won’t make much of an impact. Most people just associate them those games with Sony or Nintendo generally.
Games like those would move consoles and their fans would buy another system. Remember what happened when FF went from Nintendo to Playstation?

Kuranghi

It's Friday, and people who aren't good at actual news have to rumormonger to make the day. 😂

But hey, two anonymous "bankers" said that, must be true. 😂

Of course, we can expect the usual carousel of "I knew too!" and corny opinion pieces on this throughout the weekend.

PS: some need to be reminded that not all businesses *want* to be bought. It takes two parties to have a sale.

A lunch of bankers, no doubt.

Metnut

The statement from Square doesn’t mean the Bloomberg story isn’t true. It was worded very carefully.

Its more likely that they had some preliminary discussions, but it never got to the formal offer stage (which is typically very late in an M&A transaction).

Top Bottom