• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Microsoft will keep publishing Activision titles on PlayStation

That's not really the same case IMO. They were never on any platform where Xbox/Game Pass was in the first place.

Except they were. PC. That clause with REV will have been used for both Ghostwire and Deathloop and is why neithe launched day one on PC gamepass and why they still aren't available.

CoD is not timed exclusive to any one platform. Nor, unlike Village, either platform holder bought the publisher before the game released.

Don't even see your point here. When MS bought Bethesda they honoured the contracts and Deathloop and Ghostwire stayed exclusive. If MS bought Capcom they also, most likely, would have honoured those contracts, which would mean REVillage wouldn't come to gamepass day one.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Except they were. PC

Don't even see your point here. When MS bought Bethesda they honoured the contracts and Deathloop and Ghostwire stayed exclusive. If MS bought Capcom they also, most likely, would have honoured those contracts too, which would mean REVillage wouldn't come to gamepass.

My point is we don't know the extent of the CoD marketing deals. So any speculation at this point is just conjecture. And there hasn't been any corroborating leaks ala the Village one so far to say one way or another.

And the PC platform is as splintered as the consoles are between all the "oh no fucking EGS exclusive" and the like kind of commentary we routinely see. I don't think either of the games are available on Windows Games Store, let alone Game Pass for PC.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Not everyone is bad from either side. But unfortunately there are a few that can't control themselves and cause problems here. People just need to listen to their feedback and try to make improvements to their behavior.

You're right that we are still early in the year and there's still plenty of announcements to be made. Some are definitely going to lose their chance to participate in those discussions and it's a shame because sometimes they do make interesting points.

I'm not perfect myself and I do have some issues. But I always try to listen to feedback that's given to me. And I always try to show respect to others here even though I might not agree with their opinions.

Anyways I appreciate the reply. You guys deal with this on a daily basis so your definitely the experts on the situation with the communities.
Wanna make things Better, START WITH BANNING THIS PROBLEM CHILD ABOVE.

There is no god damn place for level headiness and logic on this forum.

jerry seinfeld GIF

My point is we don't know the extent of the CoD marketing deals. So any speculation at this point is just conjecture. And there hasn't been any corroborating leaks ala the Village one so far to say one way or another.

And the PC platform is as splintered as the consoles are between all the "oh no fucking EGS exclusive" kind of commentary we routinely see.

Sure it's conjecture at the end of the day. But it's more likely the case that it won't come to game pass than it will based on what we do know

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

If there is no clause like the one in the RE:V contract then Microsoft is free to add Call of Duty to Game Pass right now. Microsoft doesn't have to wait for the acquisition to complete to make that happen.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Some people showing their schizzo ass. "MS good guy buys AB and keeps making games multiplaftorm" turns into "AB will stop making multiplatform games" depending on the thread.

Jboemios

Banned
Cod going exlcusive to Xbox couldn’t be better for PS, that way Sony will have to amp first party games and introduce a competitor to cod, basically they’ll need to step up to fill that gap, cod going Xbox exclusive could be a blessing in disguise. And let’s not kid ourselves the only good cod that’s been out in recent years is MW.
Russia being cut from EU and USA relationship couldn't be better ....

Leyasu

Banned
If there is no clause like the one in the RE:V contract then Microsoft is free to add Call of Duty to Game Pass right now. Microsoft doesn't have to wait for the acquisition to complete to make that happen.
Did the Bethesda games go on gp before the acquisition was completed?

Banjo64

cumsessed
So that's $680 per year if he buys an X or $480 per year if he goes for Series S.
I think you mean for the first year, not per year.

On PlayStation, he just needs to spend $70 to buy the next Call of Duty.
Well no, because you need to buy PS Plus as well to play it online so really it becomes £69.99 plus £49.99 per year for a PS gamer to play CoD. £119.89 a year.

It’s £10.99 a month for Game Pass Ultimate. £131.88 a year.

But yeah, point taken, they would need to stump up for the console initially.

Mr Moose

Gotta love how people thinks out of the box to make anything positive about Microsoft to a negative.

"yeah, but are they true gamers, or hippie vegans who misunderstood the question tho"
I wasn't even looking at it like that, I didn't see it as a positive or negative towards MS, just the people being asked.
They asked randoms, you would want to ask gamers gaming questions to get a bigger/better picture, I wouldn't care if the % of people wanting GamePass was even higher.
Would you poll hippie vegans asking them what's their favourite meat?
You'll never see questions like that if it were the other way around. The door to the concern only swings one way apparently :p
Me in the "Sony Bungie acquisition saw more Twitter discussion than Microsoft Activision Blizzard deal" thread, thinking it could've been boosted simply because of new Destiny DLC:

What's needed to be counted towards one or the other? Do you have to mention Sony + Bungie/MicroSoft + Activision to be counted towards it? Wasn't there some new DLC out at the time?
Release February 22, 2022
Does that count as the other way around?

adamsapple

You sure ? I could swear they started just weeks after the deal closed. I could be wrong, don't have the dates on me at the moment.

Some people showing their schizzo ass. "MS good guy buys AB and keeps making games multiplaftorm" turns into "AB will stop making multiplatform games" depending on the thread.

Some are really trying to paint this as MS is doing this for the "goodness of their hearts."

:pie_thinking:

I don't think anyone said what you guys are implying.

Topher

Gold Member
Okay I couldn’t remember

You sure ? I could swear they started just weeks after the deal closed. I could be wrong, don't have the dates on me at the moment.

Actually, I could have sworn they did, but now I'm not so sure. I could be wrong about that.

Edit: No, I was right. Doom Eternal was added to Game Pass in December 2020.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Then why are you arguing so feverishly against it being contractual obligations?

Logic is not on your side with this one.

There is no evidence that we know of that there are any contractual obligations holding back a GP day 1 release. Conjecture and using another games leaked contract =/= proof for the same happening here.

That's the entire argument.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Actually, I could have sworn they did, but now I'm not so sure. I could be wrong about that.

Ok I think if these dates are correct, the deal closed on 9th March and 2 days after that MS announced 20 Bethesda games coming to GP.

Doom Eternal was probably a single solitary game pass deal made separately.

So it was after.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
There is no evidence that we know of that there are any contractual obligations holding back a GP day 1 release. Conjecture and using another games leaked contract =/= proof for the same happening here.

There's no way marketing contracts would allow games to be released day one in GP.

Leyasu

Banned

Doom eternal was probably paid for. Like the other Doom when that was on there.

What about the massive Bethesda catalog drop: when did that happen?

I can’t remember. I think that it was post acquisition though.

Last edited:

NickFire

It’s definitely not solid evidence, but the acquisition announcement was curiously vague about what games would hit the service right away. Exact quote was “Upon close, we will offer as many Activision Blizzard games as we can within Xbox Game Pass and PC Game Pass, both new titles and games from Activision Blizzard’s incredible catalog.”

The “as we can” was the vague part. I originally assumed he was suggesting they might need time just to handle the technical aspects of putting a game on the service. Now I’m not so sure.

Topher

Gold Member
Ok I think if these dates are correct, the deal closed on 9th March and 2 days after that MS announced 20 Bethesda games coming to GP.

Doom Eternal was probably a single solitary game pass deal made separately.

So it was after.

Doom eternal was probably paid for. Like the other Doom when that was on there.

What about the massive Bethesda catalog drop: when did that happen?

So Microsoft paid Bethesda to put Doom Eternal on Game Pass three months after they announced they were going to buy Bethesda? Doesn't make much sense to me, but I guess it is possible. Either way, the fact of the matter is there is nothing preventing Activision from doing something similar with Call of Duty.

Except contracts already in place.

Leyasu

Banned
I wouldn’t waste my energy on arguing when COD or any other AB game will hit gp. They will come eventually. It is inevitable.

adamsapple

I wouldn’t waste my energy on arguing when COD or any other AB game will hit gp. They will come eventually. It is inevitable.
I'll be happy with MW 2019 ASAP, been wanting to play that awesome campaign again but not willing to pay for it :D

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
So Microsoft paid Bethesda to put Doom Eternal on Game Pass three months after they announced they were going to buy Bethesda? Doesn't make much sense to me, but I guess it is possible. Either way, the fact of the matter is there is nothing preventing Activision from doing something similar with Call of Duty.

Except contracts already in place.
Contracts! Isn’t that what you lot are arguing about no?

If it was the case, then it seems odd that their catalog didn’t drop too. They didn’t own anything until the ink was dry

Saber

Gold Member

Find hard to believe. Theres too much money involved in COD just to let it on GP just to appease peasants. COD would generate more money being exclusive to their console than wasting their buy out money on GP.

Last edited:

reksveks

Microsoft has said they are bound to honor the marketing deals in place. And frankly, I cannot imagine Sony making a deal with Activision that gives Sony sole rights to market the game and yet the game is allowed on Game Pass. That makes no sense at all if you think about it.
Do we know when the last marketing deal was signed with Sony? might be interesting but yeah, maybe it will be post the deal.
Which marketing deal and what position?
The Sony and COD marketing deal. your position on why COD won't come to GP?

Leyasu

Banned
Find hard to believe. Theres too much money involved in COD just to let it on GP just to appease peasants. COD would generate more money being exclusive to their console than wasting their buy out money on GP.
You better believe it. GP peasants are getting everything

Topher

Gold Member
Contracts! Isn’t that what you lot are arguing about no?

If it was the case, then it seems odd that their catalog didn’t drop too. They didn’t own anything until the ink was dry

Seems odd that even a single game would be on Game Pass if the ink being dry was required, right? And yeah, if Sony had a contract with Bethesda marketing Doom Eternal that wouldn't have happened either. As it was, Microsoft was fine waiting a mere six months to drop the rest of the catalog with a marketing blitz.

Do we know when the last marketing deal was signed with Sony? might be interesting but yeah, maybe it will be post the deal.

I've read here and elsewhere that it is through 2025, but I don't know for certain.

Also....

This indicates to me that the current contracts and availability of games on Game Pass are related.

Saber

Gold Member
You better believe it. GP peasants are getting everything

Nah. Console war provocatives have no effect on me. Still believe it was a smart move from MS, but like any company they will want that money back(unless you live in fairy tale and think that money magically reapears).
They will honor contracts, letting COD do whats do best: generates tons of money. If they very later decide to move out to exclusivity, they would still not let it on GP because theres too much sweet money involved, contrary to what blindly console warriors try to believe.

Seems odd that even a single game would be on Game Pass if the ink being dry was required, right? And yeah, if Sony had a contract with Bethesda marketing Doom Eternal that wouldn't have happened either. As it was, Microsoft was fine waiting a mere six months to drop the rest of the catalog with a marketing blitz.

I've read here and elsewhere that it is through 2025, but I don't know for certain.

Also....

This indicates to me that the current contracts and availability of games on Game Pass are related.

I think according to Jason it was the next three COD games (2022 COD, 2023 COD and Warzone 2 COD)

But with there being no COD in 2023, the obvious stipulation would be an extension

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned

Also....

If I remember correctly, wolfenstein had been on gp for ages. Before doom eternal etc.

Nah. Console war provocatives have no effect on me. Still believe it was a smart move from MS, but like any company they will want that money back(unless you live in fairy tale and think that money magically reapears).
They will honor contracts, letting COD do whats do best: generates tons of money. If they very later decide to move out to exclusivity, they would still not let it on GP because theres too much sweet money involved, contrary to what blindly console warriors try to believe.
I don’t know why you replied to me and then went on a rant about console wars and what not. I never said anything about breaking contracts that nobody knows contains or making it exclusive. I just said that they will come to gp. My post that you replied to wasn’t even a long post either.

I am struggling to understand your confusion

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Of course it will be on Game Pass. Microsoft isn't going down that road where they pick and choose which of their games go on Game Pass. ALL of their games will be on Game Pass. It's a sweet deal. Almost too good to be true, but it is true.

Saber

Gold Member
I don’t know why you replied to me and then went on a rant about console wars and what not. I never said anything about breaking contracts that nobody knows contains or making it exclusive. I just said that they will come to gp. My post that you replied to wasn’t even a long post either.

I am struggling to understand your confusion

Yes I replied for the sake of discussion expecting a reply with reason behind(maybe theres a reason I'm not aware of?) and unfortunatelly the only answer you made was "you better believe". How did you came to the conclusion it was a rant, I honestly got no idea lmao
But if you got no interest on discussing this thats ok, it wasn't my intention to demand anything. I was only interested in perhaps an imput or something.

Of course it will be on Game Pass. Microsoft isn't going down that road where they pick and choose which of their games go on Game Pass. ALL of their games will be on Game Pass. It's a sweet deal. Almost too good to be true, but it is true.

Ok I heard that, but is there any reasoning behind that thinking?

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
Yes I replied for the sake of discussion expecting a reply with reason behind(maybe theres a reason I'm not aware of?) and unfortunatelly the only answer you made was "you better believe". How did you came to the conclusion it was a rant, I honestly got no idea lmao
But if you got no interest on discussing this thats ok, it wasn't my intention to demand anything. I was only interested in perhaps an imput or something.
Lol What? there’s nothing to discuss. All AB games will eventually come to gp. That is it

Last edited:
Top Bottom