• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Microsoft will keep publishing Activision titles on PlayStation

For the next 3 entries at least ;)

75M54aZ.jpg

Very good question, I don't think it was stated in the survey question and think the Brad Smith comments was the day before the survey so there might have been users whom knew of Smith's comment and others who didn't.
Frankly, considering the terms of the survey's question, I am surprised that they have such an high percentace of negative responses, because asking which franchises would MOST make them consider subscribing require, to give a negative answer, zero; nterest in any of the franchises or a position anti Game Pass for principle, at least as I read it. I mean, I have no interest in a game subscribcion service, but I would have chosen one of the franchises

Leyasu

Banned
Numbers don't lie, dipshit.

Its a huge loss of income. Period.

Argue all you want about how it my encourage back-end sales from skins and season-passes, but there are good reasons why Activision hasn't switched all its output to the Warzone model!

Losing 5m units in up-front sales, which is conservative, is a bloodbath. We're talking hundreds of millions in short-term revenue lost on a single SKU in a single territory.

Any gains in terms of ARPU become subsumed within the entirety of Gamepass, and the books will still need to be balanced on a per-project basis. How many loss-leaders can they offset without continuous explosive growth?
Lol @ dipshit. Let the immaturity flow through you.

My point was that they have obviously crunched the numbers and don’t seem as concerned as you and a lot of other forum dwellers are.

Even though on the surface, or looking at it from the outside, losing upfront sales does appear to be counterproductive or a straight up bad decision. They don’t seem to be concerned though

Riky

$MSFT
People using figures like the game won't be going next gen only in the future, which totally changes the mathematics.
Once it does then it forces players to go next gen and I'm sure we will see Gamepass bundles with hardware emblazoned with the game.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Neat… I don’t believe them of course. I have an idea, announce elder scrolls 6 for the ps5 and I will believe you!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It’s not like anyone here even cares about CoD. This will end up just like mlb. The people who actually like the game will just continue paying for them

Oh of course, now Call of Duty is *exactly* the same popularity as MLB The Show. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Day 1 on gamepass on all Activision games, and $70 on ps5. Win win in my book

BRB drooling about Diablo IV on GP day 1.

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
Oh of course, now Call of Duty is *exactly* the same popularity as MLB The Show. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

BRB drooling about Diablo IV on GP day 1.
I love a good cod, but I no longer have to try my luck at which game is good or not, I can just play the full game on gp every year, and drop it or not if it is good or not. No longer need to risk $70

a good cod is still fun, my fav devs are Treyarch, have a love/hate with the fact that we arent getting their game next year, sucks.....but might be better due to it

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Lol @ dipshit. Let the immaturity flow through you.

My point was that they have obviously crunched the numbers and don’t seem as concerned as you and a lot of other forum dwellers are.

Even though on the surface, or looking at it from the outside, losing upfront sales does appear to be counterproductive or a straight up bad decision. They don’t seem to be concerned though

If you wan't me to take you seriously, maybe forgo the Dr Evil .gif.

Just a thought.

MonarchJT

Banned
Folks are focusing on the PS side, but what about Xbox? More than half of Xbox gamers said none of the games listed, "Call of Duty, Crash Bandicoot, Guitar Hero, Skylanders, Spyro the Dragon, Tony Hawk Pro Skater, Diablo, Overwatch, StarCraft, Warcraft", would make them consider subscribing to Game Pass.

Fair point. They really should have addressed the methodology for identifying each type of gamer.
well that's is pretty much expected ...if you change game and for example put Fromsoft games Instead of Activision / Blizzard you will see the percentage of people who would NOT consider the service skyrocket even more

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
well that's is pretty much expected ...if you change game and for example put the games of from soft Instead of Activision / Blizzard you will see the percentage of people who would NOT consider the service skyrocket

I did not expect Xbox gamers to be so ambivalent towards Game Pass if it included Activision Blizzard. Now I know.

Mister Wolf

With Call Of Duty being day one on game pass Microsoft gets the best of both worlds. It effectively has the same draw as being an exclusive for potential customers frugal about their money and still gets revenue from the PS5 customers who don't mind paying full price for ownership.

reksveks

With Call Of Duty being day one on game pass Microsoft gets the best of both worlds. It effectively has the same draw as being an exclusive for potential customers frugal about their money and still gets revenue from the PS5 customers who don't mind paying full price for ownership.
also kinda makes it harder for Sony to launch their own competitive FPS before the xbox market split grows.

Day one Activision/Blizzard games on Game Pass, tons of Game Pass Ultimate perks, almost certainly exclusive skins and potentially timed exclusive modes and/or other features, every ad showing the Xbox logo, every esport tournament played on Xbox with heavy Xbox advertising. Having future Activision/Blizzard gameplay/games announced by Xbox.

Even with it being released on Playstation (for $70), there's going to be a dramatic shift of people switching to Xbox/PC once this acquisition finalizes and the massive Activision/Blizzard catalog starts being available on Game Pass

Some of you seem to be forgetting that a PS gamer needs to also buy a $500 or $300 console aswell. If cod continues releasing on PS, I think most of them will carry on the same way. It's just $70 a year. Instead of hundreds of dollars on a new console and than monthly fee for gamepass. Only a straight up exclusive to xbox would shift them over in mass but shockingly, Microsoft won't be making it an xbox exclusive.

Mister Wolf

Some of you seem to be forgetting that a PS gamer needs to also buy a $500 or $300 console aswell. If cod continues releasing on PS, I think most of them will carry on the same way. It's just $70 a year. Instead of hundreds of dollars on a new console and than monthly fee for gamepass. Only a straight up exclusive to xbox would shift them over in mass but shockingly, Microsoft won't be making it an xbox exclusive.

This move is directed towards the frugal customers for years to come who own neither console and are ready to purchase.

adamsapple

This move is directed towards the frugal customers for years to come who own neither console and are ready to purchase.

Pair with the upcoming family game pass plan, this reads like a very viable strategy that will not have a notable effect this year, but will do so in the coming years.

Pair with the upcoming family game pass plan, this reads like a very viable strategy that will not have a notable effect this year, but will do so in the coming years.
MS certainly appears to be playing the long game. The XSS is laughed at around here but is responsible for Xbox continuing to get sales even during a chip shortage. It's price and availability made it a pretty attractive offer. With Activision games and everything else going to Game pass its very clear things have changed since the X1 days.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
It's pretty weird how forums must find a winner and loser here.

I, a gamepass subscriber who bought Black Ops Cold War but sat out Vanguard, am not particularly exercised by the Activision purchase, but I would have welcomed getting to play Vanguard and seeing what the campaign was like and might have played a bit of Multiplayer too.

It doesn't make me sad to know that the game will be available on other consoles.

I'm still going to keep my Gamepass sub going.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Makes so much sense.

If a guy already owns a PlayStation and mostly plays COD (typical definition of a casual gamer), to get COD on Xbox GP, he will first have to buy the Xbox console for either $499 (X) or $299 (S). Then subscribe to Gamepass month after month -- that's $180 per year.

So that's $680 per year if he buys an X or $480 per year if he goes for Series S.

On PlayStation, he just needs to spend $70 to buy the next Call of Duty.

I think once the dust settles and players are seeing things more clearly, they will come to the same conclusion that they don't need to shift entire ecosystems to get to that. I

n addition, (1) leaving PSN friends who play COD will play a major role, and (2) if COD continues releasing on PS as always, I doubt more than 50% of casual gamers would even know about the fact that COD is now owned by Microsoft.

Lognor

Banned
Yeah, that may be true, but what about the millions of people who have not been able to get a current gen console yet? It's still early in the gen and with the supply issues there are millions of people that want a PS5 or XSX today that can't get one. And there are likely countless people that will opt for the XSX instead of the PS5 because of this acquisition.

At that point, it's $500 for either a PS5 or XSX, but with the XSX you get to play all the COD games with your Game Pass subscription. You save the $70 for each year's version. And we can assume that COD will get exclusive content on Xbox, DLC first on Xbox, a shit ton of other perks for Xbox. Look at how that shifted the COD base from Xbox to PS before when Sony started locking down DLC months in advance of the Xbox launch. It matters to those folks. Xbox gonna move some units that would have otherwise gone to PS5 due to this acquisition.

Yeah, that may be true, but what about the millions of people who have not been able to get a current gen console yet? It's still early in the gen and with the supply issues there are millions of people that want a PS5 or XSX today that can't get one. And there are likely countless people that will opt for the XSX instead of the PS5 because of this acquisition.

At that point, it's $500 for either a PS5 or XSX, but with the XSX you get to play all the COD games with your Game Pass subscription. You save the $70 for each year's version. And we can assume that COD will get exclusive content on Xbox, DLC first on Xbox, a shit ton of other perks for Xbox. Look at how that shifted the COD base from Xbox to PS before when Sony started locking down DLC months in advance of the Xbox launch. It matters to those folks. Xbox gonna move some units that would have otherwise gone to PS5 due to this acquisition.

Yeah thats a good point too. The danger for sony is losing their PS4 customers to xbox. If they're in the market for a new system but are unable to buy a PS5, than xbox series is an enticing option. Sony are probably losing customers right now because of the stock situation. So sorting that out should be a priority to them.

twilo99

Why wouldn't they publish games for PlayStation? It doesn't make any sense.. there is a lot of money to be made here. Maybe they won't publish every single game, but the blockbusters are coming for sure.

reksveks

Yeah thats a good point too. The danger for sony is losing their PS4 customers to xbox. If they're in the market for a new system but are unable to buy a PS5, than xbox series is an enticing option. Sony are probably losing customers right now because of the stock situation. So sorting that out should be a priority to them.
I did previously share a yougov poll that said like 60% of uk consumers would switch to another platform in september if they can't get their first choice.

I do wondering if that % was higher going into xmas or if its higher now cause they are more frustrated.

Lognor

Banned
Why wouldn't they publish games for PlayStation? It doesn't make any sense.. there is a lot of money to be made here. Maybe they won't publish every single game, but the blockbusters are coming for sure.
Well what about Starfield? That's not a Activision game, but it is going to be huge. And it is not on Playstation. So I don't think it's that simple.

twilo99

Well what about Starfield? That's not a Activision game, but it is going to be huge. And it is not on Playstation. So I don't think it's that simple.

Hm, yeah it will get tricky on how selective they are I guess but there will definitely be a good number of big games on PS..

Makes so much sense.

If a guy already owns a PlayStation and mostly plays COD (typical definition of a casual gamer), to get COD on Xbox GP, he will first have to buy the Xbox console for either $499 (X) or $299 (S). Then subscribe to Gamepass month after month -- that's $180 per year.

So that's $680 per year if he buys an X or $480 per year if he goes for Series S.

On PlayStation, he just needs to spend $70 to buy the next Call of Duty.

I think once the dust settles and players are seeing things more clearly, they will come to the same conclusion that they don't need to shift entire ecosystems to get to that. I

n addition, (1) leaving PSN friends who play COD will play a major role, and (2) if COD continues releasing on PS as always, I doubt more than 50% of casual gamers would even know about the fact that COD is now owned by Microsoft.
You mathemagicians are so weird. Depending on the time of day Game Pass is either 1$ for three years or 180$ for one year. Please make up your mind or are you confused?

reksveks

Isn't CoD cross platform?

I suspect Microsoft to stick gamepass/xbox around COD wherever they get a chance, how well that works is another question.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
It's not just $70 a year. If you're planning on buying 5 Activision games in the next six years you've got yourself a Series S with Gamepass. That's not counting all the other titles.

Hezekiah

Banned
It's not just $70 a year. If you're planning on buying 5 Activision games in the next six years you've got yourself a Series S with Gamepass. That's not counting all the other titles.
Most of those Activision games are PC-focused games. Warcraft, StarCraft, Diablo, you think many console people are going to switch over for them (and for a Series S which is ultimately lesser hardware)? If you're serious about those franchises you'll have a gaming PC. Spyro, Tony Hall etc are basically dead franchises at this point.

And CoD will still be available on Playstation for the foreseeable anyway - and if we're talking about other titles you have Spiderman which is almost as big as CoD at this point (look at the enormous PS5 sales of Miles Morales), and all the other big name IPs - Factions/The Last of Us, GoW, GT, Horizon etc.

And of course Sony is pushing hard on the shooter front themselves - they'll have first dibs on any exclusive stuff related to Destiny, and they have second-party exclusives coming from Firewalk who are ex-Bungie and Respawn devs, and Deviation Games who themselves were set up by ex-Treyarch devs, and are continuing to recruit to their second studio in Montreal.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
It’s not like anyone here even cares about CoD. This will end up just like mlb. The people who actually like the game will just continue paying for them
I switched this year to solely playing MLB on Gamepass

I havent purchased a COD in a few years but will play it from time to time if it comes to Gamepass as well

You don't just buy gamepass and be done with it though. You keep paying for temporary license to play the games. 5 years of cod on gamepass is 60 months worth of subscription. Playing cod on gamepass for a year costs more than buying a $70 copy. If you only play cod, than your better off just buying a copy.

Last edited:
I switched this year to solely playing MLB on Gamepass

I havent purchased a COD in a few years but will play it from time to time if it comes to Gamepass as well
Because you already own both consoles

The majority of MLB’s player base is still on playstation. Same thing with all the other sports games that end up on gamepass with EA play

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
You don't just buy gamepass and be done with it though. You keep paying for temporary license to play the games. 5 years of cod on gamepass is 60 months worth of subscription. Playing cod on gamepass for a year costs more than buying a $70 copy. If you only play cod, than your better off just buying a copy.
This is not true at all when you consider how that imaginary person was having to pay for Gold/PS+ to play online anyway.

Riky

$MSFT
Isn't CoD cross platform?

I suspect Microsoft to stick gamepass/xbox around COD wherever they get a chance, how well that works is another question.

The alpha and beta will be on Gamepass first, some of those weapons carrying into Warzone 2, some exclusive to Gamepass and Xbox. If you play COD then those things are important to you.
Exclusive modes for 12 months, all the marketing with Xbox and hardware bundles with Gamepass.
There is a lot they can do with it.

adamsapple

It's pretty weird how forums must find a winner and loser here.

I, a gamepass subscriber who bought Black Ops Cold War but sat out Vanguard, am not particularly exercised by the Activision purchase, but I would have welcomed getting to play Vanguard and seeing what the campaign was like and might have played a bit of Multiplayer too.

It doesn't make me sad to know that the game will be available on other consoles.

I'm still going to keep my Gamepass sub going.

Praise the lord, mine was also going to continue even before the Acti-Bliz announcement.

This just makes it even more valuable with a couple of decades of back catalog of classic games coming to GP and all their newer releases day 1.

S0ULZB0URNE

The alpha and beta will be on Gamepass first, some of those weapons carrying into Warzone 2, some exclusive to Gamepass and Xbox. If you play COD then those things are important to you.
Exclusive modes for 12 months, all the marketing with Xbox and hardware bundles with Gamepass.
There is a lot they can do with it.
Where are you getting this from?

Top Bottom