• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Microsoft is seeking to make acquisitions in Japan

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
4b45bb4a076feca4d7964c517034ba6b.jpg

Krisprolls

Banned
Yeah, I'm sure Sony is terrified too. MS already tried Japan in the 360 era and failed miserably.

I doubt they'll try again.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
4b45bb4a076feca4d7964c517034ba6b.jpg

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
The guy who wrote that article has a shit record... he was saying he had a story on par with PS5 exclusive and it turned out to be that shit Sega handheld, then he said PS5 production was cut by 4 million units.... that was more bullshit.....

In this article he says that Japan studio is downsizing etc except they developed Astrobot rescue mission which was a critical darling, they have Astro Bot for PS5 bundled at launch and Japan Studio also helped with Demons Souls remake. There is also a rumor that they have a massive game waiting for release....

Portables and mobile gaming are just more popular there... that is the issue. But that said, I would like to see PlayStation make a bigger effort in Japan.... They have money and huge influence there, time to use it.

If they have to cut into Nintendo's lineup to do it...so be it.

Bryank75

Banned
The guy who wrote that article has a shit record... he was saying he had a story on par with PS5 exclusive and it turned out to be that shit Sega handheld, then he said PS5 production was cut by 4 million units.... that was more bullshit.....

In this article he says that Japan studio is downsizing etc except they developed Astrobot rescue mission which was a critical darling, they have Astro Bot for PS5 bundled at launch and Japan Studio also helped with Demons Souls remake. There is also a rumor that they have a massive game waiting for release....

Portables and mobile gaming are just more popular there... that is the issue. But that said, I would like to see PlayStation make a bigger effort in Japan.... They have money and huge influence there, time to use it.

If they have to cut into Nintendo's lineup to do it...so be it.

(as I posted in other thread)

Fbh

Kinda curious, is Japan also all about subscription services?

Has stuff like music and TV also predominantly shifted over to subscription servives a round there?

Krisprolls

Banned
They just bought a Japanese studio within the last two months (Tango Gameworks)

Your fear isn't unjustified.

"Fear" lol you can't be serious, MS has zero market share in Japan. You think Tango Gameworks will overtake Sony ?

I want the thing you Xbox fanboys are smoking, it looks great.

As a side note, Japan is not as much as a major market as it once was. Sony sells a lot more in US and EU these days.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I don't think that Microsoft buying Japanese studios would be an attempt to gain a foothold in Japan as much as it would be a way to milk dollars from Japanese game fans in western countries.

Mr Hyde

They just bought a Japanese studio within the last two months (Tango Gameworks)

They bought Zenimax, in which Tango was apart of. Let's not kid ourselves here, Tango was hardly the main draw for the acquisition, it was Bethesda and ID. I wouldn't be surprised if Shinji and co left Tango within a year.

Krisprolls

Banned
Sony's market share is falling off a cliff in Japan too, maybe you missed that. It's Nintendo or mobile gaming these days.

Speaking of mobile gaming, xCloud launches in Japan early next year...

According to a website we all know, MS sold 32 Xbox consoles last week in Japan vs 3191 PS4 (so around a hundred times more).

Do you really think anybody cares about Xbox in Japan ? 32 consoles I mean...

If something fell off the cliff there, I'd say it's Xbox. It fell then it was buried alive long ago.

Last edited:
They need SEGA and turn them into a Nintendo style output. Platformers, arcade racers and sports games, all that kind of stuff like the good old days!

Dane

50 pages of memeing turned into one of those cartoon scenes where the character keeps saying something impossible to happen and then happens.

According to a website we all know, MS sold 32 Xbox consoles last week in Japan vs 3191 PS4 (so around a hundred times more).

Do you really think anybody cares about MS in Japan ? 32 consoles I mean...

That's a shockingly bad number for PS4, with all the support it receives.

Xbox One never sold great there, launching a year late and never getting as much language support as it deserved.

Don't worry though, MS have stated they intend to prioritize Japan this time round. Launching new consoles, already twice sold out, this Tuesday. Rolling out xCloud in the next wave. Oh and I'm sure buying Japanese studios could be part of that too.

Even if it doesn't work, it's not unthinkable that MS acquires further studios in the region. I can understand why you're terrified.

Krisprolls

Banned
That's a shockingly bad number for PS4, with all the support it receives.

Xbox One never sold great there, launching a year late and never getting as much language support as it deserved.

Don't worry though, MS have stated they intend to prioritize Japan this time round. Launching new consoles, already twice sold out, this Tuesday. Rolling out xCloud in the next wave. Oh and I'm sure buying Japanese studios could be part of that too.

Even if it doesn't work, it's not unthinkable that MS acquires further studios in the region. I can understand why you're terrified.

If PS4 number is bad, how do you name Xbox number (a hundred times less) ? Pathetic I'd say.

32 consoles I mean... You're a really funny guy. Thanks for the laugh.

By the way, there is a thread for fanboys like you with all this console war crap. It's called "Console War Thunderdome".

You can go there and say what you want including kiddos things like "You're terrified nah nah nah". Not here.

Last edited:
Kadokawa owns FromSoftware; no way they sell it to microsoft. There's also some trade laws about buying japanese companies. Its put into play so foreign companies can't buy up important business to the japanese economy.

Kadokawa owns FromSoftware; no way they sell it to microsoft. There's also some trade laws about buying japanese companies. Its put into play so foreign companies can't buy up important business to the japanese economy.

I think those are overblown, honestly. Just the fact Zenimax could acquire Tango, and now it becomes owned by MS, is evidence that it isn't impossible.

They're really starting from zero then. At least they already have you as a cheerleader.

Cool, thanks for your contribution to the thread.

Off you fuck.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
If PS4 number is bad, how do you name Xbox number (a hundred times less) ? Pathetic I'd say.

By the way, there is a thread for fanboys like you with all this console war crap. It's called "Console War Thunderdome".

You can go there and say what you want including kiddos things like "You're terrified nah nah nah". Not here.

The irony and lack of self awareness is utterly amazing, especially considering your well-earned tag: Terrified of Xbox so makes fun of them

Perrott

Gold Member
The U.S. office believes the PlayStation business doesn’t need games that only do well in Japan, employees in the California headquarters said.
Makes sense why Sony ditched the Siren game Toyama was developing in 2018 in favour of a Silent Hill reboot, which is a well known IP worldwide.

Regarding "RaySpace" - which was planned to be announced in 2018 for PS4 - I think that the game might have gone back to the drawing board to some extent in order to make it even more appealing to western audiences.

It is also clear now that they ended their relationship with Clap Hanz for the Everybody Golf series, as those titles only did well in Japan.

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned

Off you fuck.

If you can't debate without insulting people, just take a break 5 minutes, go for a walk, or use the console war thunderdome thread.

It's not that serious, we're talking about videogames right here, not nuclear weapons.

If you can't debate without insulting people, just take a break 5 minutes, go for a walk, or use the console war thunderdome thread.

It's not that serious, we're talking about videogames right here, not nuclear weapons.

Lol at your complete lack of self awareness

Now report me and stop shitting up this thread, you have nothing to add here.

Konami would be a good easy acquisition.

I'm not sure they even have many Devs left under their belt. Some good IPs though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ten_Fold

If it’s sega an I see a sonic adventure remake or some shit along with VF6. That would be crazy. Still I think it could be mistwalker.

AmuroChan

Sony's market share is falling off a cliff in Japan too, maybe you missed that. It's Nintendo or mobile gaming these days.

Speaking of mobile gaming, xCloud launches in Japan early next year...

Speaking of mobile gaming, Sony had the biggest grossing mobile game in Japan last year (Fate/Grand Order). Sony's strategy in Japan has already shifted to mobile in recent years.

Krisprolls

Banned
Now report me and stop shitting up this thread, you have nothing to add here.

I gave you sales numbers that showed you were wrong, so I certainly brought something to the thread, more than by telling people to "fuck off " like you do.

Ten_Fold

Microsoft could become popular in Japan if they make a ton more Japanese style games. Maybe even putting gamepass on switch? Hmm either way they are putting much more effort than Sony. Once they moved to California it was a wrap.

Speaking of mobile gaming, Sony had the biggest grossing mobile game in Japan last year (Fate/Grand Order). Sony's strategy in Japan has already shifted to mobile in recent years.

While technically correct, it wasn't developed by Sony, only published by Aniplex who are a subsidiary of Sony's music arm.

It's not necessarily correct to say this is connected to the strategy of Sony Interactive Entertainment.

I gave you sales numbers that showed you were wrong, so I certainly brought something to the thread, more than by telling people to "fuck off " like you do.

Shows me wrong how? I never said Xbox One sells well in Japan, the opposite in fact.

Here's what we'll do, I'll put you on ignore then you can continue to argue with yourself until you get bored and find another Xbox thread to shit up. Sound about right? Ok good.

Krisprolls

Banned
Shows me wrong how? I never said Xbox One sells well in Japan, the opposite in fact.

Here's what we'll do, I'll put you on ignore then you can continue to argue with yourself until you get bored and find another Xbox thread to shit up. Sound about right? Ok good.

If anybody shits threads (PS5 threads obviously), that's you. I'm here for debate but apparently it's not possible with you.

Anyway, you're welcome to ignore me (or anybody else who tells you things that don't match your agenda), as long as you don't tell anybody else to fuck off, because I don't think you'd last very long here.

Last edited:

LordCBH

Maybe they're going after Mistwalker another Lost Odyssey or blue Dragon would be good.

This is an acquisition I can get behind. I would love LO and Blue Dragon to get revived. Hopefully they don’t snatch up another publisher, but instead, if they buy anyone, some smaller independent studios that could really use the new lease on life.

I think those are overblown, honestly. Just the fact Zenimax could acquire Tango, and now it becomes owned by MS, is evidence that it isn't impossible.

Off you fuck.
MS can't buy a Japanese Nationalist Company that's what Kadokawa Corporation is.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
Thank you whitey. Please inject more of your mentally ill burger politics into things. Japanese games are lacking lesbians and black people.

Top Bottom