• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Microsoft is seeking to make acquisitions in Japan

Jose92

[Membe

Koei Tecmo Games Co. is one of those firms. Hisashi Koinuma, president of the Japanese publisher, said he’s willing to consider releasing more games for the Xbox if the U.S. company shows continued interest in Japan.

On top of that, there’s evidence Microsoft is seeking to make acquisitions in the country, though it hasn’t yet landed a deal with a big name there. Several Japan-based game developers, from small to big, said it had approached them about buying their businesses. They asked not to be identified as the talks were private, and declined to give details on how the discussions went.

Maybe next wednesday ?

edit:

After looking through the writers recent written articles this pops up

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

Maybe next wednesday ?

Oh look, Takashi Mochizuki has changed outlet but he's still inventing anonymous sources to make up stories that never come true.

Appropriate that he would start with a take from Hideki Yasuda, who is basically Japan's Pachter. According to him, the Wii U was going to be a massive success and the PS5 may not sell well in Japan because it's white (no, I'm not making this up or joking) 😂

Last edited:

"In the battle of the next-generation gaming machines, two key players are moving in different directions.

Microsoft Corp. is making a serious attempt to attract fans in Japan with its new consoles and network services. Meanwhile, Tokyo-based Sony Corp. moved its PlayStation business headquarters to California in 2016 and has built the U.S. into its largest single market.

New Xbox and PlayStation devices launching this week will likely face an uphill battle in Japan, where Nintendo Co.’s Switch enjoys dominance with a family-friendly lineup of games.

But Microsoft’s targeting of the world’s third-largest video-game market -- including with services that can be accessed across a variety of devices -- could potentially yield strong results. As the Xbox has virtually zero presence in the country, there’s plenty of room for it to increase its share.

A senior figure inside PlayStation headquarters in San Mateo, California, said the U.S. side was frustrated by the failure of the Japan marketing team to sell as many PlayStation 4 units as expected. The person asked not to be identified discussing internal matters.

As a result, Japan has been sidelined in planning the PlayStation 5’s promotion, according to several PlayStation staff in Japan. Employees in Tokyo said they’ve been left awaiting instructions from California.

Japan-based developer support teams have been reduced by as much as a third from their peak, and the rolling contracts of a number of game creators at PlayStation’s Japan Studio, one of the unit’s oldest in-house software ateliers, haven’t been renewed, former employees said. The U.S. office believes the PlayStation business doesn’t need games that only do well in Japan, employees in the California headquarters said.

Microsoft, which is launching its next-generation consoles in Japan on Tuesday, the same day it does so in the rest of the world, sees an opportunity in the country’s market. Microsoft didn’t start selling the Xbox One in Japan until almost a year after the U.S., which contributed to its disappointing sales in the Asian country.

On top of that, there’s evidence Microsoft is seeking to make acquisitions in the country, though it hasn’t yet landed a deal with a big name there. Several Japan-based game developers, from small to big, said it had approached them about buying their businesses. They asked not to be identified as the talks were private, and declined to give details on how the discussions went.

When asked about potential purchases of Japanese companies, Jeremy Hinton, head of Xbox operations in Asia, said Microsoft is always open to discussions with creators that are a good fit. He said acquisitions are a possibility but there are no announcements to share at this time.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
If its Koei Tecmo then I guess we can wave goodbye to exclusive nintendo ip warriors games?

Koei Tecmo's quote has literally nothing to do with it and was added randomly to add some footing to this shaky "anonymous sources" article. Koinuma-san simply said that he'd be willing to release more games on Xbox if Microsoft shows continued interest in Japan.

Aion002

Nippon Ichi was kind of in trouble last time I checked, MS could save them, since Nintendo and Sony doesn't seem to care about NIS.... There are many small studios in Japan that would help MS and could benefit from working for Xbox.

Gamepass would have more titles and everybody would win.

If i were ms it would be capcom

I doubt that the Tsujimoto family are willing to sell Capcom, otherwise Sony or Nintendo would have bought them already. But if that happened, it would be huge.

Last edited:

Chiggs

I have a hard time believing a japanese developer or publisher, renowned or otherwise, would like to be locked exclusively for the Xbox ecosystem and see their games being played by 15 people.

It's called guaranteed money and at least a couple of years of kid gloves treatment from MS.

Senua

Gonna be problems if they buy From
Can you imagine, with that + Bethesda theres gonna be a lot of
ZtAV6nL.jpg

Quasicat

I seem to remember that there was a recent article I read somewhere that the Avengers game was losing a ton of money for Square Enix. I would have thought that they, or even SEGA would be too big to get bought by Microsoft, but the Bethesda deal shows that really anything is possible at this point. What are the companies that focus on the Asian market that would be within this focus that wasn’t already listed? Bandai Namco, Platinum, this could be huge.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Buying Tecmo could be really awesome for them

Ninja Gaiden could have a new revival

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
If true I'm sure this is great for Xbox fans that enjoy Japanese games, but it does nothing for me since I can't stand most of them.

I'd much rather they acquire Asobo and Bloober instead or even better Eidos Montreal and Crystal Dynamics since Square is always crying about how they don't make enough money off games from those devs.

P.S. OP that story about Sony's cutting it's forecast is old news that Sony said is not true.

Chiggs

More like cancellation because they couldn´t enforce MP and Gaas-elements to the game.

Only after the couple of years of kid gloves treatment, some nice fuck you money to stash away, and possibly even more money if 1 year non-competes were a part of the paper work.

You're looking at this from a fan's eyes. Look at it from an owner/dev perspective...you'll see that it could be quite enticing. I do agree with you that things could get very dicey in the long run, but there's nothing stopping you from just quitting and forming another studio if things go south.

Last edited:

Fbh

I guess I can get this on to my weekly gaming routine:

Tuesday: Check the PSN store update for new games and sales
Wednesday: Check if Microsoft acquired a studio
Thursday: Check out the free games on the Epic store

Gonna be problems if they buy From

Man this would be the one purchase that might get me to buy an Xbox.

Reactions: MrS

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Buy whatever you want Microsoft as long as you put their games free on gamepass.

Okay wait, they can't touch From Software cause they would probably destroy that company.

If thats what it takes to get a modern Otogi.
Then its a worthy sacrifice.

otogi_screen001.jpg

6EQvXsC.jpg

otogi-1-screenshot-giant-boss-snake.jpg

P.S.

Also from the article:

Any suggestion that Sony is shifting its focus away from Japan is incorrect and doesn’t reflect the company’s strategy, spokeswoman Natsumi Atarashi said. She noted that the PlayStation 5 is launching first in Japan and said “our home market remains of utmost importance.”

But this is madness......The Switch really is king of Japan:
0.1% of console sales in Japan this year through Nov. 1, compared with 10.1% for the PlayStation 4 and 89.8% for Nintendo’s Switch.

How people voted the PS5 would have more JPN games released is beyond me, at this rate it seems like every kid in Japan owns a Switch.

Chiggs

Although i think buying Sega would be a waste of money, it would be funny if it ends up being Sega, after all the constant piss taking in that 'Microsoft are about to buy Sega' thread. :messenger_beaming:

I think MS would be wasting their money with Sega. The IP is decent, but so much of it is nostalgia-based and I just don't think the mainstream would give a shit.

They're better off buying some boutique studios, IMO.

Ladioss

Given how several Japanese devs were burned by Sony after the Japanese/US HQ switch, a clever MS has some cards to play and I hope they will take advantage of it.

Same thing for the trend of publishing Japanese games on PC/Switch.

Last edited:

Elios83

Takashi Mochizuki seems the kind of journalist more interested in trying to land a scoop rather than reporting reality.
He made wrong claims about the Switch in the past, then he made an article about the fake PS5 production issues that would lead to reduced shipping targets. It wasn't true.
Now at least he has already added Sony's denial in the article:

Any suggestion that Sony is shifting its focus away from Japan is incorrect and doesn’t reflect the company’s strategy, spokeswoman Natsumi Atarashi said. She noted that the PlayStation 5 is launching first in Japan and said “our home market remains of utmost importance.”

Btw the fact that Japan's interest in home console has declined and unless you're making something portable and you're called Nintendo your chances of success are reduced and the fact that Sony has gone way more global than during the old PS1-PS2 days is obvious and started since the PS3 days. This article isn't needed to state the obvious although it tries to say that Sony won't try their best in Japan and that's stupid because it simply wouldn't be in their interests since Japan is part of global targets.
They'll try to do their best and launching PS5 in Japan without delays is already a good starting point although if the market wasn't super receptive about PS4 which had all kinds of support it won't be easy.

About Microsoft they have already expressed interest in Japanese developers in the past officially, it doesn't take this journalist's anonymous sources to understand that approaches happened but so far haven't landed in anything concrete and he isn't able to tell if things advanced in particular with a specific developer/publisher. So it's a bunch of nothing.
It's also ridiculous to suggest that Microsoft aims to buy japanese developers to increase their marketshare in Japan....LOL they know it's a lost cause. Japanese developers are important to global marketshare as well.

Last edited:

Krisprolls

Banned
More like Microsoft is seeking to sell more than 10 consoles in Japan. I'm sure Sony is shaking in its bed right now, such a fierce competitor.

MS must have 0.01 % of the Japanese console market. They could buy anything it wouldn't change things much at this point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom