• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Game Pass, an Endless Stream of Games Is the Perfect Business Model for a Pandemic

Blond

Banned
Playground- phenomenal
Inxile- top down garbage next
Obsidian- Avowed, see you in 2022, maybe
Ninja Theory- Bleeding trash and Sacrifice 2, see you in 2023
Double Fine- Psychonaunts is coming to playstation
Compulsion- We not so happy few
Turn 10- Not bad
Initiative- more like lack of initiative with not showing anything yet, see you in 2023
Coalition- killed any gears hype they had coming from 3

I mean where are the firsty party bangers? Gamepass fodder and third party deals that cost more money than making them money and conditioning xbox owners to not buy games. What a great strategy. Wheres my incentive?

I'm wondering if Windows is even possibly going subscription somewhat from all the weird underlying changes. This is the new world hardware or software. Services for purchase, warranties for your leased products, bills monthly for everything own nothing!

I feel like after all these companies lost that cable TV money they had to find ways to fuck us considering how many companies are folding into telecom.

Batiman

Banned
Gamepass introduced me to some of my favourite games this gen that I probably would’ve never even tried. I always have any type of genre to play and always tons of games to try at anytime. Happy to see it succeed.

John254

Banned
Playground- phenomenal
Turn 10- Not bad
Initiative- more like lack of initiative with not showing anything yet, see you in 2023

I mean where are the firsty party bangers? Gamepass fodder and third party deals that cost more money than making them money and conditioning xbox owners to not buy games. What a great strategy. Wheres my incentive?
Jesus. This list is like if I wrote list of Playstation Studios in a manner...
Naughty Dog - SJW shit. ALso see you in 2025
Media Molecule - boring garbage. ALso see you in 2024
Sucker Punch - Ubisoft open world with better graphics. Also see you in 2024
Sony Santa Monica - See you in 2023
Polyphony Digital - inferior to Forza
Guerrilla Games - killed any hype I had around Killzone universe
Sony Japan - "We are making one game for a decade which is not that good (Last Guardian)"
Bend - Ubisoft open world with more bugs. Also see you in 2023

See how easy is to trashtalk other studios?

What I find funny, is GAF looooves to talk about how highly rated exclusives PS had this year. But last time I checked, XGS isn't as bad as some users here say it is. Just in this year they gave us
Ori and the Will of the Wisps - 90 on MC
Microsoft Flight Simulator - 93 on MC
Wasteland 3 - 85 on MC
Tell Me Why - 79 on MC
Gears Tactics - 81 on MC
Minecraft Dungeons - 78 on MC

This is that bad output? Really?

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
The "cause" is the future of videogames being Battletoads (cheap, throw away shovelware that you get for essentially free), or being Ghost Of Tsushima, it's that simple. Are you going to make games good enough that people will WANT TO PAY $60? Because those are two different mindsets about the value of individual games that have come to fruition lately. I'd rather pay $100 for a game like GoT than to be spoon-fed "filler" games because they're "free" on a "service".

Aha.
Last time I checked, both Wasteland 3 (85 MC) and Flight Simulator (94 MC) were added.
Fillers, right?

TonyK

My fear, and I have Gamepass on PC, is that a service like this could end being the equivalent to Netflix: a.k.a. low quality films or low production cost.

Hollywood standard system can give us Lord of the Rings or Avengers Infinity War. Netflix can aspire only to produce something like Project Power or The Old Guard. I think you can't produce a proper AAA for Gamepass except if you also will offer it full price in other channels. It's because that I don't want Gamepass or similar services become the main model for game distribution.

onesvenus

Personally speaking is great for me.

I'm not a hardcore player, I only buy 5 or 6 games a year, usually in PS.
Gamepass allows me to try a lot of games I'd not pay for. I've been playing Tekken, PES, Soul Calibur which are games I'd never buy.

In addition to those I've been playing A Plague Tale: Innocence and Forza Horizon 4, which are games I have bought after playing them for a long time that I wouldn't have bought otherwise.

And it's not Gamepass or nothing. I'll keep buying blockbusters that I like but Gamepass gives me the option to play a lot more games that I wouldn't play.

martino

i'm against this business model but this :
  • 20% more playing time.
  • Users sample a wider variety of genre
is a plus we will all benefit from down the road.

Reactions: KO7

edbrat

My fear, and I have Gamepass on PC, is that a service like this could end being the equivalent to Netflix: a.k.a. low quality films or low production cost.

Hollywood standard system can give us Lord of the Rings or Avengers Infinity War. Netflix can aspire only to produce something like Project Power or The Old Guard. I think you can't produce a proper AAA for Gamepass except if you also will offer it full price in other channels. It's because that I don't want Gamepass or similar services become the main model for game distribution.

I'm not sure I fully agree but I think you make an interesting point, so does the business model really determine quality or production scale in your Hollywood example? Why shouldn't Netflix be able to produce something like Infinity War? They've surely got the money.

If your point holds does this mean that Xbox exclusives are ultimately doomed to become the gaming equivalent of Netflix filler garbage, unless they are multiplatform? Or would Xbox just have to eat bigger losses on their exclusives.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Not that I'm a huge proponent of game streaming in the first place, but when you're locked in an apt or a house, I think the last thing you want/need is an "endless stream" of media content. This is the time to enjoy what you have and to settle into the "desert island" mentality. A subscription service reinforces the customer to keep consuming (so as to "get a good deal" and not waste their subscription, which they can share with people online, telling everyone "what a great deal it is".)

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
For me they are here now and I've been enjoying them for a while. Forza Horizon 4, Ori 1+2, Gears 5, Grounded(a blast with my girls), Flight Simulator, Gears Tactics, etc. Now, do I think they are as good as God of War, Ghost of Tshushima, and TLOU2? No, but they are still a blast and I think the output will improve into next gen. I don't feel the need to downplay studios just because they aren't as good as the cream of the crop. I just love games. Of course, Sony will continue to rock as well which is why I am getting a PS5 but even their games are a ways away I'd guess.

Sorry about the double post, mods.
Thisbis my problem becauss ive been hoping this entire gen and was let down immensely

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Jesus. This list is like if I wrote list of Playstation Studios in a manner...
Naughty Dog - SJW shit. ALso see you in 2025
Media Molecule - boring garbage. ALso see you in 2024
Sucker Punch - Ubisoft open world with better graphics. Also see you in 2024
Sony Santa Monica - See you in 2023
Polyphony Digital - inferior to Forza
Guerrilla Games - killed any hype I had around Killzone universe
Sony Japan - "We are making one game for a decade which is not that good (Last Guardian)"
Bend - Ubisoft open world with more bugs. Also see you in 2023

See how easy is to trashtalk other studios?

What I find funny, is GAF looooves to talk about how highly rated exclusives PS had this year. But last time I checked, XGS isn't as bad as some users here say it is. Just in this year they gave us
Wasteland 3 - 85 on MC
Tell Me Why - 79 on MC
Gears Tactics - 81 on MC

Not only have they had piss poor output they have piss poor sales as well, other than maybe halo what first party game recently sold over 10 million? Their quality has taken a dive huge this gen and their game simply dont compare when you look over at what sony and nintendo are doing

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I’ve played so many games I would have never given a chance to on game pass, a hand full of them I really enjoyed and would have missed elsewise. Hell I even bought a few in fear of them leaving game pass (carrion/streets of rage 4).

Tell me why got me to buy Life is Strange 2 again on PC to finish it.

Great deal any way you look at it.

Kagey K

Banned
Wasteland 3 - 85 on MC
Tell Me Why - 79 on MC
Gears Tactics - 81 on MC

My favorite is when people say MS has given up on this gen and moved on to next gen, yet this is what they have released already in 2020.

Its right up there with no games on Xbox.

Ten_Fold

To me it’s similar to renting whatever game they have, the MAIN problem with gamepass is license service and games leaving. The good thing is you can purchase the full game if you want to to avoid those issues. I think Sony won’t go all in yet and wait to see how well it does for Microsoft and if Microsoft’s business model is seen as a threat to them. Now Nintendo probably won’t follow that model anytime soon due to their extremely loyal fan base and also they are pretty far behind when it comes to online stuff.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
You know what's also a perfect business model for a Pandemic? Great content! Games!

Kagey K

Banned
You know what's also a perfect business model for a Pandemic? Great content! Games!
Like these?

Wasteland 3 - 85 on MC
Tell Me Why - 79 on MC
Gears Tactics - 81 on MC

It doesn’t, but I never said that it did? I personally don’t want to support the model, regardless of who does it.
Yeah but the way you are potraying it as if its somehow a bad thing, which is why people are confused. You are apparently "resisting" (lmao) as if Microsoft are holding Gamepass to your throat like a knife. The funnier part is, it is actually cheaper to buy Gamepass games outright anyway as i'm sure you get around a 10% discount on the full price for being a subscriber. I'll need to confirm that on my Xbox later but yeah...

Between 31 and 90 days from a game's launch date, members receive up to a 10% discount off the Microsoft Store price. After 90 days from a game's launch date, members receive up to a 20% discount.

Actually nevermind, 10% then up to 20% off the MS store price. How is this not seen as an absolute win?

Like these?

Wasteland 3 - 85 on MC
Tell Me Why - 79 on MC
Gears Tactics - 81 on MC
last week on the "speculation-analysis-troll" console warrior thread, I put up a list of ~400 games that have been on gamepass with >75 metacritic
it's inside the spoiler tag

Last edited:

Mmnow

last week on the "speculation-analysis-troll" console warrior thread, I put up a list of ~400 games that have been on gamepass with >75 metacritic
it's inside the spoiler tag
That is an amazing list that's going to be completely ignored by the people it's best suited for.

SaucyJack

The perfect business model for a pandemic is fuck all use if we spent the majority of our lives not being in a pandemic. Just saying.

John254

Banned
Not only have they had piss poor output they have piss poor sales as well, other than maybe halo what first party game recently sold over 10 million? Their quality has taken a dive huge this gen and their game simply dont compare when you look over at what sony and nintendo are doing
Second part of my post wipes your ass with "piss poor output" :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Btw. 10 million Halo 5's sold at 50 million consoles? I call it a win. Because I can't find Sony exclusive with that high of attach rate. Just sayin :messenger_winking:

Last edited:
I keep Hearing how games sell more because of game pass yet gears 5 bombed so hard Sales wise, because they gave it away on Gamepass for those one dollar subscriptions.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Gamepass introduced me to some of my favourite games this gen that I probably would’ve never even tried. I always have any type of genre to play and always tons of games to try at anytime. Happy to see it succeed.

What? It's been proven that it's not succeeding though

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Instead of gamepass, devs should provide demos like they did in the pass. Pick a slice out of your game that will be attractive, dedicate a small team to it and dedicate 3 weeks to it and publish

sublimit

Banned
I like to own my games and play them when i want. I'd rather buy 5 games all year that i REALLY know i want to play than paying monthly for junk i'll never touch or games that will disappear after a while.

So thanks but no thanks.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Is it though? Even MS said its not just a while ago.
Active subscribers dont net any more money during these times, only new subscribers do.

Using these times to sell games instead sounds more profitable than giving them away to subscribers, as i cant imagine the amount of new subscribers and respective earnings in that time is larger than the income from actual sales.

As it looks now GamePass is only a real win for consumers.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Millions of people playing their game? A stream of revenue not based on dlc or microtransactions?

Why would devs be unhappy?

You could provide a demo for free that could push gamers to buy your game too.

Kagey K

Banned
Interesting........I wonder how devs (not Publishers) will feel about this.
If they get paid, I don’t see how it makes a lick of difference to them.

Big fan of how you tried to shift the conversation BTW. Gotta keep the goalposts moving.

Is it though? Even MS says its not.
Active subscribers dont net any more money during these times, only new subscribers do.

Using these times to sell games instead sounds more profitable than giving them away to subscribers, as i cant imagine the amount of new subscribers and respective earnings in that time is larger than the income from actual sales.

did you even read the op?

We'll see a big shift to subscriptions and eventually streaming over this next decade. Sony will roll out their version of Gamepass under slightly different branding, but it will really just be the same thing with a different coat of paint. At first it will be awesome and the consumers will be the winners. Eventually it will devolve into the videogame equivalent of Netflix vs Hulu vs Prime vs Peacock vs Disney+ vs Apple TV vs a billion other competitors with every major publisher wanting a piece.

Kagey K

Banned
Is it though? Even MS said its not just a while ago.

Taken from the OP.

A Game Pass subscription leads to about 20% more playing time.
Users sample a wider variety of genres, and they generate 20% more in sales, both on titles not included in the plan and on extras such as downloadable content.

So while Gamepass itself may not be driving profit as they are reinvesting that money in the service, it is driving revenue up.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
i'm against this business model but this :
  • 20% more playing time.
  • Users sample a wider variety of genre
is a plus we will all benefit from down the road.

And you are missing what for me is the BIGGEST plus of this service. It enables many players on the ecosystem to share the same games, and get access to them at the same time. Which I guess actually quite helps the "more time playing" metric.
In example: I've started playing Wasteland 3. A friend of mine, who never played -and not even knew anything of Wasteland- got to play it as well because I can help him to get into the series, and we can do a party and talk and play thorught it. Same thing happened couple of days ago with Darksiders Generations.
Gamepass helps to eliminate barriers, like having to buy the game, or even the platform to play them. The biggest barrier right now is paid multiplayer, and Im pretty sure that in 2021 that will get removed as well.

Last edited:

Mmnow

You could provide a demo for free that could push gamers to buy your game too.
People don't buy demos. I don't know about what's typical, but I don't even download them unless I'm already pretty much at the point where I'm going to buy it anyway.

It's not even close to comparable to Gamepass.

Stuart360

All i know is Gamepass has saved me a ton of money over the last few months, and i have played some games i would never buy in a million years, including Wasteland 3, that i'm about to boot up after some food. I'm excited lol.

Batiman

Banned
What? It's been proven that it's not succeeding though

I’m obviously talking about it succeeding for consumers and its continuous growth. I don’t think anyone including MS expects it to be profitable now. Services do not work like that. And as Phil said I’ll let them worry about the profitability.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
Playground- phenomenal
Turn 10- Not bad

Top down garbage really? Maybe it’s not you’re type? Wasteland 3 is fuckin amazing so far and would take it over 80% of my PS4 games easily.

SaucyJack

Like these?

Wasteland 3 - 85 on MC
Tell Me Why - 79 on MC
Gears Tactics - 81 on MC

Stunning. How could anyone doubt XGS with output like that even though 1/3 of it isn’t XGS at all and a further 1/3 is multiplatform.

Ori is fabulous by the way. MS should have snapped up Moon Studios when they had the chance.

Last edited:

martino

And you are missing what for me is the BIGGEST plus of this service. It enables many players on the ecosystem to share the same games, and get access to them at the same time. Which I guess actually quite helps the "more time playing" metric.
In example: I've started playing Wasteland 3. A friend of mine, who never played -and not even knew anything of Wasteland- got to play it as well because I can help him to get into the series, and we can do a party and talk and play thorught it. Same thing happened couple of days ago with Darksiders Generations.
Gamepass helps to eliminate barriers, like having to buy the game, or even the platform to play them. The biggest barrier right now is paid multiplayer, and Im pretty sure that in 2021 that will get removed as well.

tenor.gif

Top Bottom