• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Game Pass, an Endless Stream of Games Is the Perfect Business Model for a Pandemic

Interesting read,

“Subscriptions will play a big role in driving engagement,” says George Jijiashvili, an analyst at researcher Omdia.
Subscriptions can keep revenue flowing even when a company has no new console or blockbuster title.
Game Pass is available in 41 countries, and Microsoft is adding the ability to stream games to Android devices.
This fall it’s tripling the number of countries where it sells what it calls All Access,
which gives customers a new console and a Game Pass subscription for a monthly fee that’s currently $20 to $25,

similar to cellphone contracts that periodically give you a new handset.
Contrary to expectations, Bond says, monthly plans get customers to spend more.
A Game Pass subscription leads to about 20% more playing time.
Users sample a wider variety of genres, and they generate 20% more in sales, both on titles not included in the plan and on extras such as downloadable content.
Game Pass helped increase revenue for Xbox content and services by 65% in the most recent quarter.
“People make this assumption that if you have a subscription, you stop buying games,” Bond says, but the opposite is true.
Although Microsoft offers game makers an upfront payment and bonuses based on how well a title does, producers aren’t entirely enthusiastic.
Many, particularly makers of smash-hit games, fret that subscription services will shake up the industry in the same way platforms such as Apple, Pandora, and Spotify changed music, taking the biggest slice of revenue.
Simon Byron, publishing director of Curve Digital, a software house in London, says Game Pass has helped win new fans for his puzzle games, which aren’t typical console fare.
Microsoft says 60% of people who played Curve’s Human: Fall Flat on Game Pass had never done puzzles before, and two-fifths of those bought a similar title after playing.
While individual sales of the $15 game are comparable on Xbox and PlayStation, five times more customers have tried it on Game Pass, according to Byron. “We were genuinely nervous, but so far we’ve been really pleased,” he says. “Selfishly, the service is becoming so popular with other publishers that it’s become harder to put our titles there, but that’s a sign they’re doing something right.”

plus more at the link above

So, analysts estimate that there is plenty of room for growth in the market for game pass, and some of the things I underlined,
a) game makers get a fee up front AND bonuses if their game is played a lot
b) game pass side effect is that xbox -although having half the units playstation has- curve digital says that not only sales are comparable between the two, but because of game pass 5X more people on xbox have played their game than on playstation
c) basically engagement leads to more sales, who would have thought? ;p

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Some interesting tidbits:
Since Game Pass was introduced three years ago, Microsoft has signed up 10 million subscribers. Sony, which started its PlayStation Now service in 2014, has some 2.2 million customers, more than triple the number a year earlier after the price was cut in half, to $10 per month.
A survey by the Game Developers Conference found that almost three-fourths of developers fear subscriptions might hurt the value of individual games.
Simon Byron, publishing director of Curve Digital, a software house in London, says... “Selfishly, the service is becoming so popular with other publishers that it’s become harder to put our titles there, but that’s a sign they’re doing something right.”
The market disruption of Gamepass is going to come to ahead this generation. Stadia tried and failed. Sony have their toes in the pool. Microsoft are all in. This generation is going to be a landmark one, I feel. For good or bad, we'll find out.

Ah, gotta love that classic Microsoft damage control:
On Aug. 11, Microsoft Corp. posted an alert on the Twitter account of its Halo franchise: The game’s next installment wouldn’t be ready this fall as originally planned, with its release delayed until 2021. A few years ago, that would have been devastating news for the team that makes the company’s Xbox game console, which had been planning to roll out a new model in tandem with Halo Infinite.
Central to Microsoft’s optimism is a service called Game Pass, which offers a vast selection of titles for a flat monthly fee. “We’re confident,” says Sarah Bond, the vice president who oversees relations with game creators. “We will launch with thousands of games.”
"The main reason to own a new Xbox at launch was delayed, but there are 'thousands' of old games to play on your new console instead!"

Also, what the hell does this mean?
A Game Pass subscription leads to about 20% more playing time.
20% more playtime over someone who bought the game? 20% more playtime over someone who didn't buy the game? Neither scenario makes any sense (why would someone who spent their hard-earned money on a game play less than someone who is essentially taking it for a test drive?) so I'm confused.

Also, what the hell does this mean?

20% more playtime over someone who bought the game? 20% more playtime over someone who didn't buy the game? Neither scenario makes any sense (why would someone who spent their hard-earned money on a game play less than someone who is essentially taking it for a test drive?) so I'm confused.
explained well in the article

a) “Subscriptions will play a big role in driving engagement,” says George Jijiashvili, an analyst at researcher Omdia.
b) A Game Pass subscription leads to about 20% more playing time. Users sample a wider variety of genres, and they generate 20% more in sales, both on titles not included in the plan and on extras such as downloadable content. Game Pass helped increase revenue for Xbox content and services by 65% in the most recent quarter. “People make this assumption that if you have a subscription, you stop buying games,” Bond says, but the opposite is true.
and also, my point c) up top

explained well in the article

a) “Subscriptions will play a big role in driving engagement,” says George Jijiashvili, an analyst at researcher Omdia.
b) A Game Pass subscription leads to about 20% more playing time. Users sample a wider variety of genres, and they generate 20% more in sales, both on titles not included in the plan and on extras such as downloadable content. Game Pass helped increase revenue for Xbox content and services by 65% in the most recent quarter. “People make this assumption that if you have a subscription, you stop buying games,” Bond says, but the opposite is true.
and also, my point c) up top
Hmm I think my problem is their use of the term "playing time", when it seems what they really meant is engagement.
When I hear "playing time", I think of playtime on a specific game (I.E. the gameplay timer), not "users sample a wider variety of genres".

Yeah this Pandemic ain't no joke it destroying country GDP if them next gen console are really 600 and games are gone to be 70 than it will impact greatly so services like gamepass will be ever more enticing for the casual gamer who don't want to spend 600 for console and 70 for games day 1.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Because I prefer some level ownership of games. And I've seen what licensing deals can do to video streaming platforms, with titles dropping in and out of circulation, and with seemingly little notice.
How does game pass prevent you from buying games?

Also how does maybe not having Wifi 6 affect this? I need someone to tell me what I need to be concerned about here.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Yeah this Pandemic ain't no joke it destroying country GDP if them next gen console are really 600 and games are gone to be 70 than it will impact greatly so services like gamepass will be ever more enticing for the casual gamer who don't want to spend 600 for console and 70 for games day 1.
I don't know anyone who exactly wants to spend that much money on gaming, but "casual" gamers aren't who pay launch prices anyway.

It's like renting a backlog every month for a fraction of the cost of buying one.
It's a terrific deal, but I don't consider it like a collection. It's more like a renting an other random guy's backlog, it's not the same thing if you are an enthusiast, but it's good anyway.
I don't think I'll stop buying games since I have wide interests and I don't like seeing myself limited in that way. Since we are talking of few bucks a month I can see myself gladly going in and out randomly to play what interest me, rather than being a stable subscriber.
I feel often frustrated and anxious when content on platforms have an expiration date, dunno if relatable lol.
Then there are a lot of things I'd like to know in the future, but gaming is changing and distribution models will change too. I was just joking about the pandemics stuff. :p

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
What are you resisting? Playing more games for less money? If you are going to join a cause, join a more meaningful one,
The "cause" is the future of videogames being Battletoads (cheap, throw away shovelware that you get for essentially free), or being Ghost Of Tsushima, it's that simple. Are you going to make games good enough that people will WANT TO PAY $60? Because those are two different mindsets about the value of individual games that have come to fruition lately. I'd rather pay $100 for a game like GoT than to be spoon-fed "filler" games because they're "free" on a "service".

The "cause" is the future of videogames being Battletoads (cheap, throw away shovelware that you get for essentially free), or being Ghost Of Tsushima, it's that simple. Are you going to make games good enough that people will WANT TO PAY $60? Because those are two different mindsets about the value of individual games that have come to fruition lately. I'd rather pay $100 for a game like GoT than to be spoon-fed "filler" games because they're "free" on a "service".
So are you saying every game on gamepass are just throw away games so Flight Sim 2020 and Wasteland 3 and Ori are throw away games wtf bad argument bro just cause your not paying 60 or 70 bucks for a day 1 games does not make them throw away gamepass games.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
As a newbie to gpu, i have a question. If i already downloaded a game and said game gets rotated out of gpu, can i still play it?

Oh shit, that sucks... :messenger_downcast_sweat:

But i guess rotation mostly affect third parties games...
Yes third party games get taken off and rotate in with new games when the gamepass contract runs out wile first party games stay since MS own them that how all services works really.

INC

Could someone answer this for me

Do games get taken down off gamepass?

For example

Say I get the witcher 3, get 30hrs in, then ms remove it from gamepass, i guess thats it?

Or games are never removed?

Kagey K

Banned

For example

Say I get the witcher 3, get 30hrs in, then ms remove it from gamepass, i guess thats it?

Games get removed. You usually get a 2 week warning so you either go ham to finish it or buy it with the discount Game Pass gives you before it’s removed.

For example

It like Netflix but for games 1st party games are on there day 1 and never get taken off since MS own them wile 3rd party games have a contract where they stay on there for how long the contract last so anywhere from 6 months to 1 year to 2 years even it depends on the contract length and when games are about to leave gamepass cause the contract is almost up the games show up in the leaving soon section of the gamepass there hope that answer all your questions.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.

For example

They get removed, but i think before they remove it they give you a sale to purchase it

longdi

Banned
It like Netflix but for games 1st party games are on there day 1 and never get taken off since MS own them wile 3rd party games have a contract where they stay on there for how long the contract last so anywhere from 6 months to 1 year to 2 years even it depends on the contract length and when games are about to leave gamepass cause the contract is almost up the games show up in the leaving soon section of the gamepass there hope that answer all your questions.

While it's not 'epic free' games, the logic behind it seems fair and will placate third parties concerns.

Gamers on GPU are still on a deal.

Kagey K

Banned
They get removed, but i think before they remove it they give you a sale to purchase it
It has the 20% discount for the entire time it’s on Game Pass.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman Maxwell Jacob Friedman

Here is the example of additions and removals announced during August.

Additions
  • Darksiders Genesis: 6 August
  • The Dark Pictures Anthology Man of Medan: 6 August
  • It Lurks Below: 6 August
  • Trailmakers: 6 August
  • UnderMine: 6 August
  • Xeno Crisis: 6 August
  • Final Fantasy 7 HD: 13 August
  • Spiritfarer: 18 August
  • Battletoads: 20 August
  • Don’t Starve Giant Edition: 20 August
  • New Super Lucky’s Tale: 21 August
  • Hypnospace Outlaw: 27 August
  • Tell Me Why Chapter 1: 27 August
  • Double Kick Heroes: 28 August
  • Wasteland 3: 28 August
  • Resident Evil 7: 3 September
Removals
  • Devil May Cry 5: 14 August
  • Kingdom Come: Deliverance: 14 August
  • Yoku’s Island Express: 14 August
  • Creature in the Well: 31 August
  • Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams – Director’s Cut: 31 August
  • Metal Gears Solid 2 & 3 HD: 31 August
  • Metro: Last Light Redux: 31 August
  • The Jackbox Party Pack 3: 31 August
  • NBA 2K20: 1 September
  • Red Dead Redemption 2: 7 September

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Because I prefer some level ownership of games. And I've seen what licensing deals can do to video streaming platforms, with titles dropping in and out of circulation, and with seemingly little notice.

You can buy any and all games on Game Pass at a discount. You'd also be singing a different tune right now if Game Pass was more like PS Now and PS Now was like Game Pass. My guess is that you'd say "Wow, the Sony train cannot be stopped, Xbox is doomed. How can they compete when Sony is providing this much value?!"

But by all means, continue the downplaying of any and all Xbox games/services. It wouldn't be Neogaf otherwise.

I have a feeling MS will come up with different packages at different sub prices. Expecting to see a weekend only GPU subs.

When the downside is "who has the time to play all of these games?!", you know they are reaching to downplay it.

What happens when the pandemic is over and you still have shit games though?

Yeah, funny guy, the only shit is your post. Playground studios, Inxile, Obsidian, Ninja Theory. Mojang, Double Fine, Complusion, Turn 10, The Initiative, and The Coalition among others are making shit games? Sure.

Then you have DarkSiders 3 and Genesis, RDR2, GTA5, Wasteland 3(85 meta), Flight Simulator(93 meta), etc. There are countless good games even if they don't stay for good, they are there long enough to play and then you get a discount if you want to keep them.

Endless amount of salty gamers downplaying it. It's hilarious!

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
So are you saying every game on gamepass are just throw away games so Flight Sim 2020 and Wasteland 3 and Ori are throw away games wtf bad argument bro just cause your not paying 60 or 70 bucks for a day 1 games does not make them throw away gamepass games.
Here's something you don't hear on the Internet, ever - you're right. I was too harsh on GamePass in that particular comment, and in fact I like the service overall. But I do think there's reason to have the discussion of it potentially devaluing games, particularly Microsoft's own brand, because of the incredibly low cost. It's a double-edged sword -- incredible value for the consumer but unknown long-term effects on the industry.

Blond

Banned
I mean maybe but the last thing I want is yet another subscription. At this point I've cancelled all these things but Hulu because it's all just another bill that I can avoid, Gamepass included.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
You can buy any and all games on Game Pass at a discount. You'd also be singing a different tune right now if Game Pass was more like PS Now and PS Now was like Game Pass. My guess is that you'd say "Wow, the Sony train cannot be stopped, Xbox is doomed. How can they compete when Sony is providing this much value?!"

But by all means, continue the downplaying of any and all Xbox games/services. It wouldn't be Neogaf otherwise.

When the downside is "who has the time to play all of these games?!", you know they are reaching to downplay it.

Yeah, funny guy, the only shit is your post. Playground studios, Inxile, Obsidian, Ninja Theory. Mojang, Double Fine, Complusion, Turn 10, The Initiative, and The Coalition among others are making shit games? Sure.

Then you have DarkSiders 3 and Genesis, RDR2, GTA5, Wasteland 3(85 meta), Flight Simulator(93 meta), etc. There are countless good games even if they don't stay for good, they are there long enough to play and then you get a discount if you want to keep them.

Endless amount of salty gamers downplaying it. It's hilarious!
Playground- phenomenal
Inxile- top down garbage next
Obsidian- Avowed, see you in 2022, maybe
Ninja Theory- Bleeding trash and Sacrifice 2, see you in 2023
Double Fine- Psychonaunts is coming to playstation
Compulsion- We not so happy few
Turn 10- Not bad
Initiative- more like lack of initiative with not showing anything yet, see you in 2023
Coalition- killed any gears hype they had coming from 3

I mean where are the firsty party bangers? Gamepass fodder and third party deals that cost more money than making them money and conditioning xbox owners to not buy games. What a great strategy. Wheres my incentive?

Last edited:

Chiggs

Fair post. I’ll give it a shot for a few months and see if any of the discounts/deals make it worthwhile.

Coincidentally, I just got some email from them advertising an upgrade from Gold to Ultimate for $1.00.

longdi

Banned
Fair post. I’ll give it a shot for a few months and see if any of the discounts/deals make it worthwhile.

Coincidentally, I just got some email from them advertising an upgrade from Gold to Ultimate for $1.00.

There is an existing 'hack' where you can convert up to 3years of gold to GPU, after converting you can play on xbox, pc and xcloud. Insane value.

Buy the 1 year digital gold cards at 60bucks msrp at the likes of amazon, before they runs out as MS have stopped issuing 1 year cards?

Last edited:

DavidGzz

I guess that's why I'm more gung ho about it right now. I have it till 2023 and I only paid the $1 upgrade so having access to it till then when games are going up to $70 is a pretty big deal for me. Hopefully by the time it goes back to $15 a month, they will have a nice catalog of 1st party games on there to keep me paying.

And thanks for the Gold, man!

DavidGzz

Playground- phenomenal
Inxile- top down garbage next
Obsidian- Avowed, see you in 2022, maybe
Ninja Theory- Bleeding trash and Sacrifice 2, see you in 2023
Double Fine- Psychonaunts is coming to playstation
Compulsion- We not so happy few
Turn 10- Not bad
Initiative- more like lack of initiative with not showing anything yet, see you in 2023
Coalition- killed any gears hype they had coming from 3

I mean where are the firsty party bangers? Gamepass fodder and third party deals that cost more money than making them money and conditioning xbox owners to not buy games. What a great strategy. Wheres my incentive?

For me they are here now and I've been enjoying them for a while. Forza Horizon 4, Ori 1+2, Gears 5, Grounded(a blast with my girls), Flight Simulator, Gears Tactics, etc. Now, do I think they are as good as God of War, Ghost of Tshushima, and TLOU2? No, but they are still a blast and I think the output will improve into next gen. I don't feel the need to downplay studios just because they aren't as good as the cream of the crop. I just love games. Of course, Sony will continue to rock as well which is why I am getting a PS5 but even their games are a ways away I'd guess.

Sorry about the double post, mods.

Last edited:

sn0man

It does not interest me but I will say that I find it hard to believe that anyone buying an Xbox today instead of another console would skip on game pass. It seems like a great value if your goal is “during the next month I’m going to jump in and play some games.”

I’ve got plenty of back catalog and I continue to purchase new physical switch and PS4 games (in addition to retro stuff) each month. I’m probably spending on average $45 a month (some months many games, some months nothing or only a $10 GameStop used game). In dollars for gaming today game pass sounds cheaper. But I value having my games until I’m ready to say goodbye to them.

I’ve got Netflix and Hulu so it’s not that I’m service avers; I just enjoy the ownership model.

Reactions: KO7

Kagey K

Banned
It does not interest me but I will say that I find it hard to believe that anyone buying an Xbox today instead of another console would skip on game pass. It seems like a great value if your goal is “during the next month I’m going to jump in and play some games.”

I’ve got plenty of back catalog and I continue to purchase new physical switch and PS4 games (in addition to retro stuff) each month. I’m probably spending on average $45 a month (some months many games, some months nothing or only a $10 GameStop used game). In dollars for gaming today game pass sounds cheaper. But I value having my games until I’m ready to say goodbye to them.

I’ve got Netflix and Hulu so it’s not that I’m service avers; I just enjoy the ownership model.
That’s where Gamepass has been good to me, there were a bunch of games that I thought I’d buy on sale when the price was right, but then they showed up on Gamepass and I got to either try them and either dump them or play through them depending on their quality.

It’s great for those games you are on the fence about and don’t want to drop the money. In the meantime I find fun little gems like Undermine and Double kick heroes to pass the time.

I still buy the games I want Day one, but it’s really good to supplement that secondary gaming time and money.

Kagey K

Banned
Gamepass made me try a lot of games that I would have never played otherwise.
I had some good surprises and I bought at least 10 games I wouldn’t have.
Since I don’t buy MS first party games anymore, it’s a win/win situation for me.

I‘ll never understand the argument that subscribing to Gamepass suddenly stops you from buying games, and the only games you can play are on Game pass or bust.

It’s meant to get you playing those games you might have overlooked or didn’t want to commit to financially.

It provides publishers and developers with a source of income and can generate excitement for a sequel or a follow up.

Top Bottom