• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodlines 2 lead writer Brian Mitsoda fired.

Virex

Banned
No thats Cara Ellison. This is Annie.

l_iZnsB.jpg
You don't say. I edited my post. Didn't finish it.

Kadayi

Banned
Lol at Outstar on Discord trying to downplay losing their main writer. "Standard procedure" my ass.

UUPPSoi.png

How the fuck can having your lead writer be fired be standard procedure? I mean surely if the game sells well and is well received (and lets just assume it does) then wouldn't you be looking to make further games? Games that might require a qualified lead Writer familar with your previous titles perhaps? Or maybe this is indicative of Paradox's opinion on the likelihood of that happening and they're reducing their overheads? 🤔

Lol at Outstar on Discord trying to downplay losing their main writer. "Standard procedure" my ass.

UUPPSoi.png

The amount of doublespeak would make Orwell spin on his grave multiple times. "Alexandre is not there to change the course of the game; but realize their shared vision". But somehow Brian... being the very guy to lead the vision couldn't????

I've just requested a pre-order cancel in Steam. This is just an unbelievablem ess.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sounds about right.

Non-gaming employee fired
- Changes LinkedIn employment tenure from 2015 - present, to 2015 - Aug 2020

Videogame employee fired
- I was let go today out of the blue and would like everyone in the world know my feelings about this despite every labour lawyer saying fired people should be silent until any potential settlements are done between parties. Let it be known, I had no idea, did not do anything wrong, and feel management was awful. I was 100% innocent.

Please retweet and check my personal blog for more.

iJudged

Banned

And here are the words from the man himself.

Well, it was nice hoping for the revival of the classic, but with Avellone and Mitsoda gone this game is dead in the water.
nah, give it to 343, then it's dead, otherwise, there is still hope.

Ivory Blood

The amount of doublespeak would make Orwell spin on his grave multiple times. "Alexandre is not there to change the course of the game; but realize their shared vision". But somehow Brian... being the very guy to lead the vision couldn't????

I've just requested a pre-order cancel in Steam. This is just an unbelievablem ess.
Yeah, I'll cancel my pre-order too, and just buy BG3 early access in september.

samjaza

since Outstar became a brand manager, she stopped making any critisisms about anything WOD.
I preordered this because of Brian being behind it, im not so sure now if i should get a refund and wait for the game to come out and see if its worth it.

Ivory Blood

This really, really bums me out. Mitsoda was the soul of Bloodlines and I loved where 2 was going.

I honestly fail to see the problem there.
A gay muslim kindred neonate who fights the patriarchy and makes hundred years old elders shake from fear? "Bear Gangrel"? This shit even reads like a parody, but it's not.

I'm not sure. I'd imagine Avellone and Mitsoda's work with characters/story/dialog has been done for a while. It could still be good.

They said that Avellones work is NOT in the game, and considering the damage control on Brians writing already began - "Wouldn't be able to tell what was written by Brian, and what by Cara" , we can safely assume it's all going down the drain.

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Everything about this is

utterly
fucking
bizzare

Either Mitsoda is lying and knows why he got sacked, or Paradox are despicable assholes.
I mean, even if the writing and narrative was all done and Mitsoda had nothing else to do, you don't just fire people like that.

Sadly, in America, you do fire people like that. HR in most states will push for an abrupt termination, with no reason ever given, to avoid any legal blow back.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
A gay muslim kindred neonate who fights the patriarchy and makes hundred years old elders shake from fear? "Bear Gangrel"? This shit even reads like a parody, but it's not.

They said that Avellones work is NOT in the game, and considering the damage control on Brians writing already began - "Wouldn't be able to tell what was written by Brian, and what by Cara" , we can safely assume it's all going down the drain.
Oh, wow. That's surprising since work on this game started so long ago. I'm glad I didn't grab any of the preorder deals for this one. Definitely going to wait and see how the final product is received.

DonJorginho

Banned
This game looked shit everytime they shown it but this is the final nail in the coffin for me.

Hoping it turns out half decent but this along with terrible showcases and constant delays, this probably won't turn out well.

Barakov

Gold Member
This whole thing sounds like a giant dumpster fire. I was going to wait for a deep sale but at this point, I won't even bother with it.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
He probably knows why he got fired. But he can't or won't.

This "private person" seems to be seeking attention with his long wishy washy I got fired post. That's how I see it anyway.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
At this stage of development what would a writer be doing if not DLC? Artists & writers can't work on much during this period.

Doubt this affects the main game in any way. If its a shit story then Mitsoda is still responsible. Likewise if its a good story.

Nemesisuuu

LMAO, some people will completely write off a game over the dumbest shit.
It's not just this, I even didn't follow development so closely, but let's be honest here - first trailer was ok, I was hyped because, well - it's finally Bloodlines. But everything after that looked subpar IMO.

Ivory Blood

I love WoD and old White Wolf but read the newer Umbra guide for Werewolf and literally have an Umbral spirit for Cultural Appropriation. I wish I was kidding.
This shit is everywhere in the new books, I wish I didn't read the excerpts from Technocracy: Reloaded. How can you turn a game about limitless potential and reality on the brink into this is beyond me. Perhaps Onyx Path really do work for Pentex.

Climate change threatens to destroy life as we know it. Religious fundamentalism breeds terror around the globe. Diseases, once eradicated from the developed world through vaccination, have returned due to anti-vaxxer movements. Totalitarian nationalist governments rise, as the masses succumb to fear of the other.

anthraticus

Banned
Funny thing is... they've been pissing off & losing all the Bloodlines/cRPG fans, getting rid of Avellone, now Brian, plus all the sjw garb....

...and I don't think the mainstream/IGN crowd even knows this game exists either. :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Another studio infected by the SJW virus since Day 1 and the whole development is a huge mess like 343, DICE, Bioware and ArenaNet. Another coincidence right?

They were more worried about being the most woke game ever instead of doing a faithful sequel to Bloodlines.

Top Bottom