• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne (PS4) Playstation Blog Update - New Details, New Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
The framerate was pretty poor. Sub-30fps. I know a lot of us can see past that as far as demos of a game that's still 8 months away goes, but I think the general public may not respond as well. The game is looking fucking incredible, but yeah, the framerate is too unstable, and the game deserves a better "wide release" gameplay footage than that.

The good news, is that E3 builds tend to be using really old code, so I'm sure what From has at the offices is a lot more up to date and polished than the E3 build. Back when I worked at Obsidian, we had a separate, E3 build we had to QA, and then the actual game's build. We had to make sure the E3 build was solid, but we only had a few months to do it. Needless to say, we were glad when E3 was over, so we could go back to working on the full game again.

I'm sure in another few weeks we'll get some really good (carefully compiled) gameplay videos of the game. Of course, that's easy for me to say, I've already seen the full demo in person. Twice. :p

don't kill me.

It's unfortunate that so much work has to go into polishing something that will ultimately be wiped out. Too bad there isn't a better way, so many man hours wasted on E3 builds just for the media and gamer's to get hyped or nitpick.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Can you tell us what graphically stood out the most?

For me, it was the little details. The way the main character's cloak flutters when he moved. The details on the cobblestone steps, and the fog and overall atmosphere was bar none some of the most impressive I've seen. The only other game that impressed me as much visually was The Order, which edges it out by virtue of really looking like a movie. Bloodborne had a much crisper resolution (clearly 1080p) with some top notch anti-aliasing. I didn't notice a jaggy during both times I watched the presentation. The animations were straight out of the Souls games, so I didn't find them jaw-dropping, but they were definitely smoother and more fluid (jittery framerate during some hectic moments aside)

It's unfortunate that so much work has to go into polishing something that will ultimately be wiped out. Too bad there isn't a better way, so many man hours wasted on E3 builds just for the media and gamer's to get hyped or nitpick.

Yeah, it was frustrating to have to take time out of developing the full game to develop the E3 build. What sucked even more, was that by the time the game needed to ship (Neverwinter Nights 2), we still needed a few more months of optimization that Atari didn't give us as they wanted the game to be released on time, no delay. So, yeah, the game went out unoptimized for even the most high end PCs. I was gone from the company by then, but it sucked. Those 3 months or so we spent on the E3 build could have been put to much better use on the finished product.

They eventually patched up Neverwinter Nights 2, and got it working right, but it shouldn't have released that way anyway. Atari was just being Atari.

Decado

The funny thing is that that gif pales in comparison to how fucking amazing this game looks running on a PS4 in person. The level of detail in this game is just insane. That gif is great, but man. I can't wait to get my hands on this game!

So when running on the PS4 in person you see real-time model damage? I hope so, 'cause it all that graphical detail looks silly when cause and effect goes out the window.

The Souls game also need such a basic feature. It's like it is too obvious or something.

Nice!! I know the gameplay will be top notch. What I am not able to believe is the visuals. Were the visuals that good? Impressions please!

Yeah, the visuals were very impressive. There was a lot of detail everywhere from the clothes to the environments. I'm not too entirely sure how I feel about the fact that your character gets covered in blood from attacking enemies.

I thought it looked amazing. The level was very atmospheric like what they have been saying around to be similar to Tower of Latria in Demon's Souls. It sort of looks like the weapons have a secondary mode. Also, the blunderbuss was cool, but I just hope they find a way to balance it because from what I saw (there was no HUD) there doesn't seem to be a limit to how many times you can shoot. When the blunderbuss was shot, it looked like the enemies got stunned and you could go up and do a parry-like finishing move. The gameplay was very Dark/Demon's Souls. There was one NPC that showed up during the demo. He sort of looked like the main character but he had a two handed axe. I'm not too sure but he also busted out the secondary mode to the axe and he was fighting against two very gruesome enemies. We saw one of the bosses too.

All in all. The game was amazing looking and I really can't believe they showed off a demo for it. It was my first ever E3 and I was extremely happy to see it. There was some framerate problems, but I'm sure they will fix that. Everyone got a free T-shirt from them too with the character's silhouette on the front and the title on the back. If you guys want me to answer anymore questions feel free to ask.

popyea

Likely already posted, but I'm sure no one will mind seeing this again.

whhetq.gif

I just noticed the blood spilling onto the floor. So good!

Yeah, the frame rate is sub 30. Really noticeable rotating the camera. I couldn't see a HUD anywhere on the screen. I love how the blood splatter from your enemies would show up on your clothes. The weapon he was wielding is an extendable cleaver? The riposte animation is very nice. So much blood. To restore health, you get these things you consume? Couldn't tell what it was.

The detail in the clothes and environments really stand out. I couldn't tell if there was an auto-targeting system at all. The setting reminds me of Van Hellsing a lot, against the supernatural.

You get a shotgun that has a spread. It can stun enemies. You can switch it out for a torch to burn enemies. This game has a lot of potential to be great!

dddooozzz9

Neo Member
I wonder if it will be publicly playable at gamescom. Might drive to gamescom just to play the game.

Yeah, the visuals were very impressive. There was a lot of detail everywhere from the clothes to the environments. I'm not too entirely sure how I feel about the fact that your character gets covered in blood from attacking enemies.

I thought it looked amazing. The level was very atmospheric like what they have been saying around to be similar to Tower of Latria in Demon's Souls. It sort of looks like the weapons have a secondary mode. Also, the blunderbuss was cool, but I just hope they find a way to balance it because from what I saw (there was no HUD) there doesn't seem to be a limit to how many times you can shoot. When the blunderbuss was shot, it looked like the enemies got stunned and you could go up and do a parry-like finishing move. The gameplay was very Dark/Demon's Souls. There was one NPC that showed up during the demo. He sort of looked like the main character but he had a two handed axe. I'm not too sure but he also busted out the secondary mode to the axe and he was fighting against two very gruesome enemies. We saw one of the bosses too.

All in all. The game was amazing looking and I really can't believe they showed off a demo for it. It was my first ever E3 and I was extremely happy to see it. There was some framerate problems, but I'm sure they will fix that. Everyone got a free T-shirt from them too with the character's silhouette on the front and the title on the back. If you guys want me to answer anymore questions feel free to ask.

Do they have lock-on mode?

Yeah the thing you consume to heal sort of looked like the lifegems from Dark Souls II. There was red flares around you when you consume them. Your clothes are just absolutely drenched in blood when you fight a boss.

Do they have lock-on mode?

From what they said, yes they do. Even when they were fighting the boss, you could lock on and shoot the blunderbuss at the boss's face IIRC.

When the blunderbuss was shot, it looked like the enemies got stunned and you could go up and do a parry-like finishing move.

Oh, man. This sounds awesome.

If you don't mind me asking, did you happen to observe this ever not working? I mean, the whole thing with parries is that there's a specific and generally difficult-to-pull-off timing element involved; risk/reward and all that jazz. I'm just wondering how this works with a gun...

Maybe they have to be at a certain dangerous distance from you?

And you're certain that the follow-up attacks are like ripostes with their own clear and special animations?

Thanks for the info! And to you, too, Figboy!

Oh, man. This sounds awesome.

If you don't mind me asking, did you happen to observe this ever not working? I mean, the whole thing with parries is that there's a specific and generally difficult-to-pull-off timing element involved; risk/reward and all that jazz. I'm just wondering how this works with a gun...

Maybe they have to be at a certain dangerous distance from you?

And you're certain that the follow-up attacks are like ripostes with their own clear and special animations?

Thanks for the info! And to you, too, Figboy!

I think I saw a failed riposte if that's what we are calling that now lol. It all depends on distance from what I saw, but even then the person playing was very familiar with it. Yes, it is very rewarding. The animation looks awesome and they did it generally with weapon extended. Yeah definitely, I am certain. The normal attacks look just like your everyday Dark/Demon's Souls attacks even the light and heavy ones.

Don't be fooled by that gif too. I don't know why the person playing the demo didn't use lock-on. The person who played the demo in my session was using lock-on, but at times they wouldn't use it.

HORRORSHØW

Alrighty.

Enjoy!

Unfortunately, the one I posted above has been edited by my Nexus 5 a few times and has taken quite a resolution hit. This one has the same cutout effect, but less contrast. If I get around to making another original like my phone background, I'll PM ya :)

that's so cool. got my new wallpaper too.

I think I saw a failed riposte if that's what we are calling that now lol. It all depends on distance from what I saw, but even then the person playing was very familiar with it. Yes, it is very rewarding. The animation looks awesome and they did it generally with weapon extended. Yeah definitely, I am certain. The normal attacks look just like your everyday Dark/Demon's Souls attacks even the light and heavy ones.

Don't be fooled by that gif too. I don't know why the person playing the demo didn't use lock-on. The person who played the demo in my session was using lock-on, but at times they wouldn't use it.

So good. Thanks, man.

Care to detail what the riposte animation involved? Get as graphic as you want :)

And how is the lock-on? Is the camera tracking/vantage similar to prior Souls games?

So good. Thanks, man.

Care to detail what the riposte animation involved? Get as graphic as you want :)

And how is the lock-on? Is the camera tracking/vantage similar to prior Souls games?

I think the riposte animation was something along the lines of thrusting the weapon into the enemy and lifting it up. The weapon was fully elongated.

The lock-on is what I'm pretty sure there was. The little doubt I have is that there was no HUD so yeah. I did see the person shoot the blunderbuss at the boss's face though. Yeah the camera is exactly like Demon's and Dark Souls.

popyea

Er...that is how that design looks. It's the French Highwayman look.

Really? They have tricorne hats, but I don't think I've ever seen the back ripped out to create tufts like that. Sorry if it's an established thing, I'm not really that familiar with the period.

Has anyone seen this yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJlg_H7OCaE

Not mine .... Saw it posted by one sub from Oroboro's Stream a Soul Livestreamer from Twitch

This is insane. Art is so good.

Hattori

Banned
I'm going to be honest, not a fan of the souls games but I think this game will change all that. The setting just jives with me so much better than the medieval setting of the previous games. Has there been any more footage of this game? (I haven't been paying much attention)

Edit: okay nevermind lol, wow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom