• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne PC Release Is In The Works – Rumor

VFXVeteran

Banned
So long as there's a 6-12month + exclusivity window nobody is going to care. Launch exclusivity guarantees most marketing push, thus highest mindshare and likely sales potential as by the the time the next platform release rolls around it'll already be discounted.

Going forwards PC is going to face a lot more pressure given that for most users this new gen of consoles will offer more than enough power and performance for anything they want to play. Obviously PC's open-ness and flexibility is always going to be hugely advantageous, but the plain fact of the matter is that Series X/PS5 are straight up more powerful than the vast majority of PC's out there. The new boxes are more competitive than last gen's offerings due to them no longer suffering large defecits in terms of CPU and I/O performance versus mid-range PC.

With next-gen consoles going strictly dynamic resolution, I"m not so sure. With this game, sure, we'll see 4k/60FPS on consoles (probably). If they can't do this game at 4k/60FPS @ native res but GPUs like 2080 can - then it's going to be a long one for the consoles.

I only care about it coming out in the first place. That proves several things: 1) Sony has adopted PC as a premiere platform going forward, 2) PC will get the best looking exclusive version (that's important to me personally), and 3) parity between Xbox/Sony towards the PC meaning both companies are willing to get rid of exclusivity (permanent) in favor of having their top tier games coming to another platform.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
Hopefully its announced in Q1 21. Most Sony games got enhancement patches already, why leave behind one of your best reviewed exclusives? The only thing that makes sense its a full fledged re release of the game.

The good thing is that HZD wasn't left behind on PC, they keep patching the game and even released a DRM free version. They seem serious about their PC port strategy this time but I would like them to be more open about their plan. The ps5 is a damn good machine on a price performance standpoint, its not that announcing a handful of PC ports will make a significant portion of the userbase move from PS to PC.

Hezekiah

Banned
I can see why people want to see a patch to improve framerate, but does anyone know how the game runs in game mode with judder reduction maxed out for a forced 60fps?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I can see why people want to see a patch to improve framerate, but does anyone know how the game runs in game mode with judder reduction maxed out for a forced 60fps?

Its performance would be basically identical to Dark Souls 3. Its the same basic engine pushing more or less similar loads graphically.

Also that Lance dude's hack shows how it runs on PS4 with the framerate limiter turned off.

Nymphae

Banned
Bloodborne seriously deserves more love from sony. It's like they don't even know how good/popular the game actually is. Just do something already sony, god damn it... A PS5 exclusive sequel would be a system seller

I don't get it either you're right, it feels like it's barely ever acknowledged yet it tops many best of gen lists. They're crazy if they don't get a sequel moving.

Rien

Jelly Belly
If it will be announced (if it even exists) when do you people think it could be announced?

Vae_Victis

Banned
Hopefully its announced in Q1 21. Most Sony games got enhancement patches already, why leave behind one of your best reviewed exclusives? The only thing that makes sense its a full fledged re release of the game.
I don't get it either you're right, it feels like it's barely ever acknowledged yet it tops many best of gen lists. They're crazy if they don't get a sequel moving.
With Bloodborne (and Demon's Souls) it's a strange situation for Sony, because it's their only high profile AAA that was not developed by a studio they own, and is very specifically a game "of that studio" in terms of design and style. And From Software is stuck deep within the Elden Ring development at the moment.

Sony could probably task somebody else to patch Bloodborne, but since it's the From engine, it was coded by From developers, and there are deeper performance issues than just unlocking the frame rate, unless it's From doing it it would end up taking more time and resources than necessary, because whoever does it will need to study everything from zero on top of figuring out the issues and a way to fix them.

So I suspect that Sony either decided that it's not worth the trouble and the money (i.e. you can forget about anything more Bloodborne 1), or they decided that since they're going to go through the trouble anyway they might as well do a more substantial work, in the form of a full PS5 version + a PC port (i.e. what people hope will happen). But right now we simply don't know which one is the case, and I suspect that if for whatever reason Sony's strategy does not line up with a PC release of Bloodborne, a performance patch on console won't happen either.

As for a sequel, if From Software were not involved directly massive barricades would be built up from the community, it would not be (and be perceived) like moving something like Ghost or Tsushima or Horizon from Sucker Punch to Guerrilla or the other way around. In other words, for a full-on Bloodborne 2 Sony needs From Software, which means we're talking about it at the very least 3 years + whatever it still takes From to complete Elden Ring.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Why would you want denuvo specifically? Or EGS exclusivity?

51088be48b9362211eb031932ff12bc2.jpg

Blond

Banned
So long as there's a 6-12month + exclusivity window nobody is going to care. Launch exclusivity guarantees most marketing push, thus highest mindshare and likely sales potential as by the the time the next platform release rolls around it'll already be discounted.

Going forwards PC is going to face a lot more pressure given that for most users this new gen of consoles will offer more than enough power and performance for anything they want to play. Obviously PC's open-ness and flexibility is always going to be hugely advantageous, but the plain fact of the matter is that Series X/PS5 are straight up more powerful than the vast majority of PC's out there. The new boxes are more competitive than last gen's offerings due to them no longer suffering large defecits in terms of CPU and I/O performance versus mid-range PC.

The PS4 pro straight up turned me into a casual PC gamer, it really can’t be stated enough how important it is console gaming is now “good enough” for anyone but all the high end PC gamers. Not to mention that the entry for a decent PC is way higher than it use to be. I built a 2500k/560ti PC back in 2011 for 700 bucks. By the time I rebuilt in 2017 with a 970 that was on sale that PC cost me 1,000. Sure there’s an argument to be made that I could’ve “budgeted” better but what about this build screams I didn’t so that?

6850k /free motherboard from Fry’s
GTX 970
16GB ram
512gb SSD
NZXT case
500w PSu

With tax this cost me just over 1k meanwhile my PS4 all Digital cost me 400
Dollars and will last me 8 years. 8 year old GPUs that are better than what the PS4 has inside of it couldn’t even pay horizon better than the PS4.

Unless you’re going low end esports builds there’s no more budget builds for PC gaming that are worth the couple extra hundred for better experiences. And with the pricing of GPUs is like Nvidia and AMD are going out of their way to take that old fake console gamer troll of “You buy a whole console for the cost of a single component no thanks!” And you use to be able to argue otherwise, now a low end gpu is 400 bucks. No thanks, I’ll play City builders, simulations and Diablo on my MacBook Pro

Rien

Jelly Belly
Started a new game today and yes the framerate suck dicks.. but it’s still a magnificent game man. The atmosphere is unmatched this gen

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Bloodborne sold more than Nier: Automata, Metal Gear Solid V or FIFA 17.
I think the lack of a PS5 patch is due to Sony just wanting us to double dip with a remaster.

8R4ziSN.png
Wow, if it's true, that's lower than i expected. Damn those casuals! I believe there will be a PC port, but i don't expect any patch for PS4 or PS5 in near future. They won't move their fingers for just 2 million gamers. They gave BB away for PS5 users too so no need to sweeten the deal for them. So our best bet for 60fps nice looking BB will be a PC port, if that ever happens. I'm praising the sun all day for it.

MiguelItUp

I just really want a remaster in some way, shape, or form. Playing Demon's Souls on PS5 and then going to Bloodborne is pretty rough, lmao. Any Souls game just feels right at 60 fps, anything below that feels odd.

Resenge

You tried to play it right after Demon's Souls in perf mode, didn't you?
I absolutely understand where you are coming from here. After playing performance mode in Demon Souls, switching Cinematic Mode is a bad idea. The difference feels bigger than I expected and I switched back to performance mode pretty quickly.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Wow, if it's true, that's lower than i expected. Damn those casuals! I believe there will be a PC port, but i don't expect any patch for PS4 or PS5 in near future. They won't move their fingers for just 2 million gamers. They gave BB away for PS5 users too so no need to sweeten the deal for them. So our best bet for 60fps nice looking BB will be a PC port, if that ever happens. I'm praising the sun all day for it.

If there's a pc port, there'll be a PS5 patch. No way would they release a game capped at 30fps on PC in 2021. Lance's mod showed that its not entirely a matter of changing the framerate cap, logic timings for a variety of systems need to be adjusted also. And if they can do that, the amount of work to be done to patch for PS5 is trivial.

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
They won't move their fingers for just 2 million gamers.

2 million is the number of copies sold in 2015. The game sold way more than that. Not to mention it released pretty early in the generation, if it would have released last year sales numbers would obviously be higher.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

2 million is the number of copies sold in 2015. The game sold way more than that. Not to mention it released pretty early in the generation, if it would have released last year sales numbers would obviously be higher.
Not to mention with the amount of merchandise out there. I feel it's safe to say they're well aware of the fan base.

I honestly see a PS5 patch or a remaster happening before PC, but I'd love to see PC happen too. Just going to hope for both!

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
If there's a pc port, there'll be a PS5 patch. No way would they release a game capped at 30fps on PC in 2021. Lance's mod showed that its not entirely a matter of changing the framerate cap, logic timings for a variety of systems need to be adjusted also. And if they can do that, the amount of work to be done to patch for PS5 is trivial.
They say, Horizon Zero Down has unlocked FPS up to 60 on PC, locked to 30 fps on PS5 btw. reddit link Maybe they will change it in future patches.

As of December 2017, Bloodborne sold 2.92 million copies, according to this site: reddit link.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll

According to Gamstat, 5.9 million players played this games until 12/2017, which probably includes physical, digital, digital game share accounts, multiple accounts in same house? etc. So 2.9 million physical sales until 12/2017 could be true.

Anyways, let's say it's the number one selling Ps4 game of all time, it doesn't matter for them, they just sold it to you on Ps4 and gave it away for PS5 users. Making improvements on it other than remaster, remake or PC port project won't bring them any more money. Original devs moved on to Elden Ring so it must be more pricey right now.

GrayChild

Gold Member
The only thing that matters is how RELIABLE the sources are. Did Schreier ever confirm or hint at it (I've lost track at this point)? If either him or Lance McDonald say it's happening, then I'll believe it's happening.

Daniel Tack (Game Informer's PC gaming editor) was teasing it's announcement via Twitter. Generally I believe him more than anyone who claims he 'knows the right people'.

Why did you bump this?

Dunno.

danutz_plusplus

Neo Member
2 days ago I stumbled onto a twitter post, by an account that is now deleted, that shared this photo of a supposed Russian Steam UI featuring Bloodborne. My first reaction was that it's fake, but I wanted to ask if this was a new fake, or one that was already seen? I personally haven't seen it yet.

The photo:
uc0vlVn.jpeg

The twitter account:
N3Bn2cP.png

Vae_Victis

Banned
I'm alone to think that there will be BB remake from Bluepoint by the end of the generation?
No need for a remake, the original assets are high quality enough. You could do a bit better than that nowadays, but nothing to warrant recreating everything from zero.

The engine could do with a bit of fixing and improving, but we're in the scope of a PS5 patch, or at the absolute most an half price "Remastered" version like Spider-Man if they go really crazy with new eye-candy (ray tracing, particles etc.).

VFXVeteran

Banned
No need for a remake, the original assets are high quality enough. You could do a bit better than that nowadays, but nothing to warrant recreating everything from zero.

The engine could do with a bit of fixing and improving, but we're in the scope of a PS5 patch, or at the absolute most an half price "Remastered" version like Spider-Man if they go really crazy with new eye-candy (ray tracing, particles etc.).

I would be VERY surprised if they do any kind of new techniques with this old graphics engine. I would think along the lines of the revisions that came to the PC for Horizon. Higher resolution, 60FPS, HDR, HBAO, better anisotropic filtering, etc..

Last edited:

Mentat02

Banned
is this game really coming to PC or is it just some rando asshole with "insider" info? Would be pretty cool. It is the only fromsoftware game I haven't played. I don't have a Playstation.

Mentat02

Banned
Bloodborne isn't the best fromsoftware game ever. The best Miyazaki game is between Dark Souls and Dark Souls 3. I heard Bloodborne Multiplayer is a joke compared to the Souls series. Souls Games have better bosses, weapons, playstyles, armor, enemies, lore and multiplayer is still going strong.

GHG

Gold Member
Bloodborne isn't the best fromsoftware game ever. The best Miyazaki game is between Dark Souls and Dark Souls 3. I heard Bloodborne Multiplayer is a joke compared to the Souls series. Souls Games have better bosses, weapons, playstyles, armor, enemies, lore and multiplayer is still going strong.

So you say it's not the best one and proceed to say "you heard". I take it you haven't played it then?

Last edited:
Top Bottom