• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blood...maybe the best 90's FPS ever...but what are your recs?

Futaleufu

Heretic may very well be showing up soon on this playlist lol

I have a soft spot for Witchaven 1 and 2. Super fun if a bit janky but I still really enjoy them myself
Witchaven is a guilty pleasure. The first game worked fine on my 486, the second game was a slideshow from the beginning.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Just don't play the sequel lol...it's NOT good
youseethat-thats-heresy-32523551.png

I see where you come from.. The sequel was nothing like the first which is why you didn't enjoy it.

If you look at blood 2 as a reboot of the serie, then it's actually quite good.

Lot of fun with..

I tried playing this a few months ago and I wouldn't blanket recommend it unless you know what you are getting into. The level design is confusing and almost labyrinth like. Pull a lever and chances are you will have to search the whole level again to find what changed. If this sounds ok and/or you plan to use a guide then it's probably still worth playing as the rest of the game is solid and despite being confusing the level design is fun.

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

I tried playing this a few months ago and I wouldn't blanket recommend it unless you know what you are getting into. The level design is confusing and almost labyrinth like. Pull a lever and chances are you will have to search the whole level again to find what changed. If this sounds ok and/or you plan to use a guide then it's probably still worth playing as the rest of the game is solid and despite being confusing the level design is fun.
Yeah Hexen is awesome but you 100% have to deal with banging your head against the proverbial wall when it comes to navigating the world. I enjoy the open world design but you can absolutely just get lost and have no idea where you should go next / what you should do next

Def a game I recommend a walkthrough handy

With respect but Blood is pretty niche.

No my money goes with Quake 2. Good game but most importantly it made a huge impact in the industry. Everything ran on that engine for a few years.

Banned

I love this game.

I still have a physical copy of this on CD love it. too bad it doesn't run on a 3D engine so if you look up or down the graphics stretch out. did anyone ever convert this into a proper 3D engine? the Jedi Engine was pretty great at the time, but yeah... this game with proper 3D graphics would be baller

Last edited:

Banned
Oh snap!

I mentioned this in another thread already, but I kinda wish some AAA developer would put all their manpower and budget into a game using a graphics style like this but make a super complex open world game. obviously not using any classic engine like this one, but a modern engine.

focusing all their efforts on interactivity, level complexity and game mechanics.
instead of having to model hundreds and thousands of extremely intricate 3D models and then render all of that with modern effects and everything. all the budget and manhours could simply go into making a hyper complex scifi city while having a graphics style people still will find attractive.

imagine the amount of fully realized buildings such a game could have! instead of having maybe a dozen of buildings you can enter you can have hundreds if not thousands! instead of maybe 20 NPCs on screen you could have 10 or 20 times as many because of the low polycount and the super basic shading!
a game like this could maybe finally feel like it is a living city and not simply a nice looking background with 10 NPCs in it that will de-spawn if you look the wrong way.. *cough* Cyberpunk *cough*

Last edited:

Mopey bloke

If someone wanted to get into older FPS games, I wouldn't recommend Blood. I would go with Duke Nukem 3D which is designed more fairly and consistently. The difficulty ramps up every episode to the fourth, and it never is too cheap with you. Blood is more a case of concentrating the good stuff towards the beginning some people associate with shareware. I like episode 2 the best. I know some people would really hate that, but I wish someone would go and give me more weapons and ammo in ep 1.

I would also recommend Quake. The original game has great level and enemy design. It's also a very fairly designed game where enemy attacks have tells. Unforseen features like strafe jumping and rocket jumping also allow you some versatility in how to tackle levels. Each of the four episodes was mostly handled by a different level designer, so they all feel differently thematically/graphically. It doesn't have great bosses, and only two of them, and that was already a weak point of the genre. Very active modding community too. Some mods have entirely new campaigns and boast new graphics/weapons, such as Age of Enmity and Arcade Dimensions.

Top Bottom