• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blood...maybe the best 90's FPS ever...but what are your recs?

VGEsoterica

I realized I spend so much time talking about consoles and rare arcade games that I'd 100% forgotten about my other true gaming love...old school 90's first person shooters. Basically I spent the better part of the 90's playing every damn FPS game that came out. Some (Blood) were absolutely amazing and some (I was convinced Corridor 7 looked awesome on the box) were absolute cash grab garbage.

But damn Blood still 100% holds up and is absolutely a game you can pick up and play today and it feels totally modern and enjoyable. Throw in a few mods (mouse look, 16x9) and it basically feels like a game that came out last year. Ion Fury is a perfect example of the Build Engine being used in a modern game and it being legit amazing and fresh feeling.

Plus the entire world Blood inhabits is just legit amazing. Pure horror with a little camp thrown in for good measure. Even the environmental storytelling via the level design still looks good today.

Just don't play the sequel lol...it's NOT good

Hands down it's one of my absolute all time favorite FPS games. But I am curious what others picks for best DOS FPS would be? I am always looking for rare and obscure FPS games to check out...so if you have any deep cuts leave them here.

As far as DOS shooters go I think Quake is better overall, but I'd say Blood is the best of the BUILD engine games in terms of design, art direction and overall quality.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I liked the original Thief, because it was a take on the FPS that was unique. Be stealthy and quiet not loud.

anthraticus

Banned
Fuck yea !!
yJuPDgJ.png

Doom 1/2, Blood and Duke 3D are my top 3 FPS ever (not counting RPG hybrids like og Deus Ex, Bloodlnes, Ultima Underworld or tactical shooters like Hidden & Dangerous, Operation Flashpoint: CWC, R6: Raven Shield, SWAT 3/4....which I also love) When it comes to FPS, either give me over the top crazyness with demons, hordes, ect...or give me the realism. Not a big fan of the 'in between' type stuff.

Other recs....

Arcane Dimensions for Quake 1
Death Wish mod for Blood
Duke Plus mod for Duke 3D
Brutal Heretic
RTCW w/ Venom mod
Outlaws - play on Ugly difficulty
Amid Evil on warrior mode
DUSK on Intruder Mode

Doom WADs- Anything by Skilsaw: Vanguard, Valiant, Ancient Aliens; Scythe1 & 2, Deus Vult and Deus Vult II, Ultimate torment and torture..

turtlepowa

Banned
Blood was the best build engine game. The multiplayer was so much fun back then, man my phone bill sucked at that time.

VGEsoterica

Fuck yea !!
yJuPDgJ.png

Doom 1/2, Blood and Duke 3D are my top 3 FPS ever (not counting RPG hybrids like og Deus Ex, Bloodlnes, Ultima Underworld or tactical shooters like Hidden & Dangerous, Operation Flashpoint: CWC, R6: Raven Shield, SWAT 3/4....which I also love) When it comes to FPS, either give me over the top crazyness with demons, hordes, ect...or give me the realism. Not a big fan of the 'in between' type stuff.

Other recs....

Arcane Dimensions for Quake 1
Death Wish mod for Blood
Duke Plus mod for Duke 3D
Brutal Heretic
RTCW w/ Venom mod
Outlaws - play on Ugly difficulty
Amid Evil on warrior mode
DUSK on Intruder Mode

Doom WADs- Anything by Skilsaw: Vanguard, Valiant, Ancient Aliens; Scythe1 & 2, Deus Vult and Deus Vult II, Ultimate torment and torture..
Heretic may very well be showing up soon on this playlist lol

I have a soft spot for Witchaven 1 and 2. Super fun if a bit janky but I still really enjoy them myself

Kupfer

Mh.... I like BLOOD2 The Chosen more than it's predecessor
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It's such a weird and therefore fascinating game with designchoises no one would even consider nowadays.
And I don't like the Build Engine.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I prefer DOOM and Quake. Blood is very cool but man, those hitscanner cultists are too much to handle for me.

In id games you can enter a room and start avoiding proyectiles, which imo is part of the fun. In Blood you have to be more careful or have godlike reflexes.

Or maybe I just got filtered. :goog_relieved:

Animagic

Banned
Back in the day I loved Duke 3D, but I don't care for it much these days. Maybe I've played it so much over the years... I say that though and I still play OG Doom to this day. The mod community for Doom is so robust.

I do love Heretic and Hexen quite a bit. When FPS moved into full 3D is when it got weird for me. I enjoyed Quake and Unreal Tournament, but when stuff moved beyond that I started not enjoying them as much. Something about making hyper realistic shooting games just didn't interest me.

With the resurgence of the old school design like Ion Fury, or similar, the map design isn't great. I would call it passable.
It's easy to overlook how right the early games got level and map design. I think a lot of it has to do with them being forced into constraints that they found creative solutions for. There aren't as many restraints today and I think the maps suffer because of that.

Also if you make a retro FPS, Boomer shooter, whatever the kids call it these days, and you make it a roguelike or rogulite, or procedural level design garbage..... please take a long walk off a short pier.

Also, don't sleep on Outlaws from Lucasarts. If you can get it running properly. It's on GOG with a modern wrapper.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Technically not a 90's shooter...but in case it some how passed you by I heartily recommend Ion Fury. It's genuine build engine jank, you will want a machine somewhat modern though, it's not gonna run on a 386.

Yep Ion Fury is great. I had a blast with the game minus the final boss fight which ran like crap because of the limitations of the engine.

Aldynes

Imagine if the madlads at Lobotomy Software ported it to the Saturn, shame it never got a port on consoles at the time, the game was so underrated.

Videospel

I tried playing through the game a couple of years ago. It was great, but when I came to the shining levels it was just too hard for me.

MiguelItUp

Man, I really, really, really want Blood to be remade/revisited. I'd love to add another FPS that wasn't added above. SO many great ones already mentioned. Redneck Rampage was pretty cool, haha.

Mh.... I like BLOOD2 The Chosen more than it's predecessor
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It's such a weird and therefore fascinating game with designchoises no one would even consider nowadays.
And I don't like the Build Engine.
To each their own, this is one of the most interesting takes I have ever seen, lmao. The Chosen was so "weird" and "fascinating" because it was a rush job sequel, and that's really it. The game is a legitimate mess. I'm actually shocked that you don't like the Build Engine, the amount of detail and interactivity that engine had, especially at the time, was pretty insane IMO.

adamosmaki

completely agree. i mean i love my duke nukems/quakes/unreals/half lifes but blood stands imo above all. Level design and weapons are top notch.Nothing like using voodoo doll to turn enemies into dust
Music is amazing and Caleb is one of the greatest protagonists ever (his 80s inspired one liners are great)

HE1NZ

Banned
Blood is great. The macabre atmosphere is really special, I can't think of any game that feels quite like Blood does. Weapons and enemies are quite original too.

Phase

Where can I find this game? I did a quick search on gg.deals and steam but with such a generic and common name it's a trouble to find.

Edit: I see something about "nBlood" in the comments which led me to BuildGDX. I'll find my way.

Last edited:

amigastar

Where can I find this game? I did a quick search on gg.deals and steam but with such a generic and common name it's a trouble to find.

Edit: I see something about "nBlood" in the comments. I'll find my way.
You can find it under the name "Blood: Fresh Supply"
Anyways just installing the game again.

Last edited:

Pachi72

I realized I spend so much time talking about consoles and rare arcade games that I'd 100% forgotten about my other true gaming love...old school 90's first person shooters. Basically I spent the better part of the 90's playing every damn FPS game that came out. Some (Blood) were absolutely amazing and some (I was convinced Corridor 7 looked awesome on the box) were absolute cash grab garbage.

But damn Blood still 100% holds up and is absolutely a game you can pick up and play today and it feels totally modern and enjoyable. Throw in a few mods (mouse look, 16x9) and it basically feels like a game that came out last year. Ion Fury is a perfect example of the Build Engine being used in a modern game and it being legit amazing and fresh feeling.

Plus the entire world Blood inhabits is just legit amazing. Pure horror with a little camp thrown in for good measure. Even the environmental storytelling via the level design still looks good today.

Hands down it's one of my absolute all time favorite FPS games. But I am curious what others picks for best DOS FPS would be? I am always looking for rare and obscure FPS games to check out...so if you have any deep cuts leave them here.
Blood is THE BEST 2D FPs ever made. The humor, the atmosphere, the play mechanics blew away everything.

Phase

Just bought it on GOG for $5 and played the first level.

Curb Your Enthusiasm Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Not bad! Not bad at all! Thanks for making this thread OP.

Shadow Warrior, Duke Nukem 3D, DOOM I-II, Blood, Wolfenstein 3D and Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold are the GOAT pc fps from dos era, still fantastic games nowadays

But my gold medal goes to Duke Nukem 3D without any doubt, game is still impressive today, and I played it for billions of hours on every possible version and platform, never tired of it and never will
For atmosphere, secrets, bestiary, enemy care and variety, every little detail care and such, sound, weapons and music, Blake Stone is the undisputed winner, every fps loved should play it

Objectively, I think is Doom 2, 100% sure

Last edited:
Top Bottom