We reveal: Bloober Team, authors of Medium and Layers of Fear, have been working on a game from the Alien franchise set in the Middle Ages.
"Presented from a first person perspective, the gameplay is a mixture of exploration, survival and combat. The players take in the world by exploring the environment, interacting with characters and taking part in story-driven set pieces. As the story progresses, they shape the narrative by making a series of moral choices that will lead to one of at least two endings. At times, the player engages in visceral hand-to-hand, or melee, combat. Although sparse and sometimes optional, the combat always poses a challenge and builds tension, suitable for a survival horror game. The hero is constantly outnumbered, or overpowered, and can easily perish if he is not careful. When combat is not an option, the players will be tasked with simply staying alive in the face of seemingly insurmountable odds. They can accomplish that by means of stealthily avoiding, improvising or outmaneuvering the opposition. These segments, including encounters with the alien enemies, will serve to truly ratchet up the tension and provide the game with a much-needed sense of terror. Will you evade your enemies, distract them of face them head on?
- unique setting, the unconventional blend of the Middle Ages and alien species
- mature story of the dark aspects of faith and humanity with the alien lifeform as catalyst for character development
- ambiguous moral choices (should we punish those who have wronged us, or stand with them against a greater evil? Should we save a child at the cost of our own life?)
- mix of stealth and intense, visceral combat (hand-to-hand / melee)
- historical setting makes the story more realistic and relatable, allows for potential spin-offs set in other historical periods (ala Assassin's Creed)