• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard reportedly planned to release Overwatch Mobile alongside Overwatch 2

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

During the March 19 episode, Lewis, along with Christopher ‘MonteCristo’ Mykles, Duncan ‘Thorin’ Shields and Erik ‘DoA’ Lonnquist were discussing the major layoffs at Activision Blizzard and their impact on OWL and CDL.

The topic eventually shifted to mobile gaming and its massive growth in the industry, especially in the East. This is when Lewis revealed that Blizzard had plans to release a mobile version of Overwatch with Overwatch 2.

“I have it on good authority that the original plan before the pandemic really kicked everything into survival mode was that they wanted to release Overwatch 2 and Overwatch Mobile at the same time essentially,” he explained.

Lewis told us that Blizzard “wanted a mobile version of the game to be ready to go when Overwatch 2 was released with a view to announce it prior to the game’s release.”

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
nice. i'd play that. maybe i'm getting old but i'm starting to enjoy mobile gaming over consoles/PC. been playing a load of Genshin Impact + Wild Rift on my iPhone. I've played more of Animal Crossing on my phone than New Horizons on Switch. Can't wait for Diablo Immortal (seriously) and hope Overwatch is true.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i still do not understand why there even is an overwatch 2
just an opportunity to ask for more money. from what i've heard they could've made this an expansion. i know there are a lot of engine/visual changes but you can still do that. just update the base game with performance/visual enhancements and charge for the new features.

Alright

Banned
Gaming on a phone or tablet

statler and waldorf laughing GIF

sainraja

I can totally understand this decision. Some people I know play PUBG on their mobile phones (to my surprise, since I would never do that myself.) I haven't personally met someone who plays Fornite on their phones but given the lawsuit which made it clear that there a lot that do. So makes sense to me why Blizzard would want to release it on mobile phones.

Last edited:

Reindeer

Gaming on phones/tablets is attrocious unless it's something that was created for mobile like Cut the Rope.

Alright

Banned
its more viable than you think.

I don’t mean downported AAA stuff, but there’s a lot of great indie games designed from the ground up for mobile that are rather nice.
There are 250+ games on gamepass and games with gold. That's just on Xbox. Let alone Steam, Sony et Al. Why Simp to mobile?

For me, Gaming is like food. Some games are like a five course meal at a five star restaurant. Other games, like Cod, are a takeaway like McDonald's or fish and chips (cod, get it?). Then you have mobile games, which are the culinary equivalent of sucking diarrhoea through a tramps sock.

When we have all this choice, why would anyone stoop to hobo poop?

MiguelItUp

Gross. Overwatch was a fun play for me for a couple of weeks after launch, then it just really fell off for me. Not really sure why, just completely lost interest. I wanted to go back to it years later when they added more characters. But between the intense text censoring and player toxicity, I was like nah I'm good, lmao. I'd wanna play just to have a good time because, y'know, it's a video game. But so many players are trying to play like they're some kind of esports player and bitch at their own teammates for the smallest issues. Doesn't sound like a fun time by any means.

I'm happy for folks that are excited about OW2, I personally don't get it. Or really care.

OW mobile? Nah, I'm good, lmao.

Perrott

Gold Member
I can totally understand this decision. Some people I know play PUBG on their mobile phones (to my surprise, since I would never do that myself.) I haven't personally met someone who plays Fornite on their phones but given the lawsuit which made it clear that there a lot that do. So makes sense to me why Blizzard would want to release it on mobile phones.
I did that for a couple of months some years ago and I think that PUBG Mobile its a better game than the OG PUBG.

Dr.Morris79

I LOVE mobile gaming. Scummvm, Epsxe, Retroarch, FPse, I love it all..

Shit like this, off the Playstore? Na, you're okay. Last time I checked the Play store for games it was littered with colouful MT filled tripe. Just ban it all, most people wouldnt give a shit if it disapeared tomorrow

For arguments sake, I just literally opened the play store and took a screen grab

DVX3CN7.jpg

Who pays for this garbage? And there is SO much of it.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Then you have mobile games, which are the culinary equivalent of sucking diarrhoea through a tramps sock.

That’s a very limiting view.

Have you played monument valley? Card of darkness?

That’s just two examples of creativity from indies on mobile platforms that are fantastic.

Alright

Banned
That’s a very limiting view.

Have you played monument valley? Card of darkness?

That’s just two examples of creativity from indies on mobile platforms that are fantastic.
They could be the best games ever made. I ain't touching them.

I didn't pay money to game on a 65" 4k TV, Console, PC and elite pad just to fanny about with a small screen and touch controls. It doesn't help that I have fingers like pig's tits.

Anyway, each to their own but mobile gaming to me is 100% unnecessary. We should spend less time on screens, not more.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
They could be the best games ever made. I ain't touching them.

I didn't pay money to game on a 65" 4k TV, Console, PC and elite pad just to fanny about with a small screen and touch controls. It doesn't help that I have fingers like pig's tits.

Anyway, each to their own but mobile gaming to me is 100% unnecessary. We should spend less time on screens, not more.

You do you and I ain’t trying to convince you to play on mobile, but it’s a thing and it’s not going anywhere.

Xyphie

Couldn't care less about a port of the game to mobile, but make something sensible for mobile like a "Torbjörn's Tower Defense" or an auto battler and I'd give it a try.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I imagine it will have controller support...
Of course it will. But how many are running around with a controller when they are outside?

Maybe I'm too old. Too grumpy. I occasionally yell at clouds so idk.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
"A game is a series of interesting choices." - Sid Meier

There are fantastic games on phone. Only casual console players don't recognize this.

iQuasarLV

I wish Activision would just come out of the closet and make all their IP mobile. You know they do it in nightclubs every Thursday night. They need to rip the band-aid off and just announce it already.

I am just tired of time and effort being taken away from long time IPs to modify them for an alternative market segment. All because they are creatively bankrupt and just want to milk the reputation of what they currently got.

CAB_Life

I never personally understood the appeal of these arena based games with no story, no compelling engagement or evergreen content other than battling. At least with an MMO there are numerous distractions from instanced pvp or pve content.

Spellbreak, and I suppose Fortnite are somewhat bucking the trend with their "story" content. Though it's watered down, something you do once maybe, and nowhere near as rich or interesting as something like ESO.

I know that people love this kind of service title, but it's definitely not for me.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I LOVE mobile gaming. Scummvm, Epsxe, Retroarch, FPse, I love it all..

Shit like this, off the Playstore? Na, you're okay. Last time I checked the Play store for games it was littered with colouful MT filled tripe. Just ban it all, most people wouldnt give a shit if it disapeared tomorrow

For arguments sake, I just literally opened the play store and took a screen grab

DVX3CN7.jpg

Who pays for this garbage? And there is SO much of it.
Titan Quest is a pretty badass port actually.

(but largely agree, the mobile market is mostly full of crap)

Good mobile games can be fun, but I do find myself just using them in my house.. where I could.. just play on PC/console lol

When I find a fun mobile game most of the time I just wish it had a console/PC version.

Top Bottom