• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard dev: Diablo 4 will have cosmetic microtransactions, seasonal content, and expansions (plural)

Jenenser

Why in the hell are you so fucking angry? You're the second person who needs to get all lippy. At least Diablo will be a good game. PoE is SHIT.
lol at the bolded.

the people are mad at you because you defend a practice that many people never wanted in their games.
ergo, you are part of the problem.

and your comparision is bad because its a free game to a fullprice one. now that you are cornered you start hurling insults at the game itself to somehow justify your remarks.

i get that you dont care and see it as the norm but you are talking to people who dont see eye to eye with you on this one.

worst point in all of this is the "they need the money to support it" point.
no, they dont. consumerbase is much bigger than it ever was...
and just at the start of this year blizzard gave millions to their execs., while laying of a chunk of their employees

With what? I don't really keep up with news from blizzard tbh. I actually got into Diablo 3 a bit later than most and it is the only one I played. Heard the 2nd was way better tho.
uhhh, in short, they missread their fanbase at blizzcon.
before blizzcon 2018 some rumors came around for a new diablo.
well, hardcore diablofans came in droves and waited for the big reveal, to then see blizzard presenting diablo immortal. a mobilegame.
in short, this is how the community felt:

Last edited:

Tomeru

Looks like theyre going path of exile road. Thing is, GGG built trust over almost a decade now. I don't know what Blizzard did over the last 10 years in that regard, and I wouldn't really say they lost faith, but they sure as shit didn't do anything to make me invested in their ips like I used to, you know?

Besides that epic D4 trailer.
Hail Lilith. Please hail.

Why in the hell are you so fucking angry? You're the second person who needs to get all lippy. At least Diablo will be a good game. PoE is SHIT.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Last edited:

DavidGzz

lol at the bolded.

the people are mad at you because you defend a practice that many people never wanted in their games.

and your comparision is bad because its a free game to a fullprice one. now that you are cornered you start hurling insults at the game itself to somehow justify your remarks.

i get that you dont care and see it as the norm but you are talking to people who dont see eye to eye with you on this one.

and just at the start of this year blizzard gave millions to their execs., while laying of a chunk of their employees

No shit Activision Blizzard doesn't need money but it isn't in their best interest to support a game that isn't giving them a steady flow of money. Do you not see what happened to Diablo 3? You guys can be outraged all you want about it but it is just the way it is going to be and it will be very successful. PoE is a twitch fest, enter room, explode said room, move to next room, rinse and repeat and occasionally get one shot. It feels terrible to play. There is nothing visceral about it. It is praised simply because of it's systems, yet the gameplay and feel is antiquated. Maybe with 4.0 they will address the gameplay, the most important aspect.

Speaking of PoE, one of it's most well known streamers, Zizaran, voiced his support for micros. He knows full well that they will only help with continued support since he has seen it himself. I have 6k hours in Diablo 3, I only paid $60 for it 7 years ago(I got the expansion for free with money I made on items in the RMAH). Meanwhile I've spent $120 on PoE between the PC and console versions in only 150 hours of play.

Look, I'll complain if it's $60 and you still have to pay for stash space, but really, even though PoE is free to try, you NEED the stash tabs for mats, etc, so if you end up liking it, it is a full price game and then some.

Tomeru

DavidGzz DavidGzz

What are you even talking about? Poe is the bigger better game. If you dont like the feel thats fine, but antiquated? Diablo 3 came out 8 years ago. Its as antiquated as poe but with much much less options. Also, you seem to be judging the game based on streamers, because there is no chance that you got to the end game, or even close to that point.

Unless you rmt.

The only thing antiquated about poe at this point is critisicm like yours. Its also not reflecting on reality.

On the subject though; let Blizzard do whatever they want. If the game will be good, I'll bite hard. If its going to be another comic version of Diablo - I wont.

Good news is that it doesnt look like that.

DavidGzz

DavidGzz DavidGzz

What are you even talking about? Poe is the bigger better game. If you dont like the feel thats fine, but antiquated? Diablo 3 came out 8 years ago. Its as antiquated as poe but with much much less options. Also, you seem to be judging the game based on streamers, because there is no chance that you got to the end game, or even close to that point.

Unless you rmt.

The only thing antiquated about poe at this point is critisicm like yours. Its also not reflecting on reality.

On the subject though; let Blizzard do whatever they want. If the game will be good, I'll bite hard. If its going to be another comic version of Diablo - I wont.

Good news is that it doesnt look like that.

It's a pretty common sentiment. PoE's gameplay is worse than even Indy games like Grim Dawn. Diablo 3 plays much more smoothly than PoE and like you said, it's old. There isn't an ARPG that plays as well as D3 besides maybe Lost Ark. If you like it, cool. I played it for a long time because it doesn't take much for me to get hooked on this genre, but after a while, I realized the engine is just not smooth at all. Hopefully 4.0 will remedy that.

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
I'm pretty happy with how D3 turned out, but I'm not a super hard core player so what do I know? Bought it at release and have had a ton of fun on and off with Reaper of Souls and seasonal activities. For the money I spent, it gave me a lot of entertainment value and still does to this day.

With regards to D4, it seems to be more of the same with a prettier skin so I'm down for it again. Don't really care about the cosmetics but hey maybe if I see a skin I like I'll buy it, who knows? Hope they come out with some beefy expansions and dlc. I'll probably grab it day one.

Tomeru

It's a pretty common sentiment. PoE's gameplay is worse than even Indy games like Grim Dawn. Diablo 3 plays much more smoothly than PoE and like you said, it's old. There isn't an ARPG that plays as well as D3 besides maybe Lost Ark. If you like it, cool. I played it for a long time because it doesn't take much for me to get hooked on this genre, but after a while, I realized the engine is just not smooth at all. Hopefully 4.0 will remedy that.

Respectfully, 150h is not a long time (esp when you compare to your time with D3). Its just a taste when it comes to poe. It just didn't tickle your fancy, whatever the reason may be. It is not a bad playing game, not by any standard. It has issues, but gameplay is not the source of those - it is only affected by it.

Poe is a hard game to commit to. It has a steep learning curve compared to the ease of play that D3 has, or any other game really. It literally scares ppl away. That is one of its faults, if you will.

However, the concerns people have with mtx in a diablo game are justified. Doesnt mean it shouldn't be in the game though. Times are changing, and it will surelly affect more of Blizzard's games.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
It is not a bad playing game, not by any standard. It has issues, but gameplay is not the source of those - it is only affected by it.

He's right tho. It doesn't play as well as Diablo 3.

Doesn't mean it's a bad game. Because it's not - it's a good game.

I really want this thing works, but with all the similar video games buzzing around, this Diablo release seems too late for this genre.
Hope they look in to the market deeply and innovate before launch.
They can’t just rely on Diablo alone anymore

Lanrutcon

lol at the bolded.

uhhh, in short, they missread their fanbase at blizzcon.
before blizzcon 2018 some rumors came around for a new diablo.
well, hardcore diablofans came in droves and waited for the big reveal, to then see blizzard presenting diablo immortal. a mobilegame.
in short, this is how the community felt:

You can see the exact moment the guy on stage realised he was already dead.

Good to know they already have the monetization set before the actual game design. So basically this game will be designed around mtx, lootboxes, time savers, and other surprise mechanics, even though this is a game about finding loot. I guess they learned nothing from the real money auction house.

DavidGzz

Good to know they already have the monetization set before the actual game design. So basically this game will be designed around mtx, lootboxes, time savers, and other surprise mechanics, even though this is a game about finding loot. I guess they learned nothing from the real money auction house.

Cosmetics and an auction house to trade items is far and away from what you mentioned.

And now we have the answer to the question of why it is online only.
They're afraid people could unlock content via cheat engine or similar shit.

Blizzard, maybe, if you just made a good fucking Diablo, people will pay for it. Without requiring micros.

I'm down with expansions and extra characters and all that. No problem with them.

I'm not down with a corporation like Activision controlling how, when and especially UNTIL when I play Diablo.
Fuck Blizzard and fire Bobby.

Last edited:
Top Bottom